Skip to content

Is Haer Dalis a shorty guy?

Hello guys!

I want to make a “Imoem and the shorties” run.
Charname: dwarf Clerc/fighter maybe protector for more flavor.
Bg1:
- imoem dual thief/mage
- Quayle
- Alora
- Kagain
BG2:
- Korgan
- Mazzy
- Jan
for the awesome trio!
Haer Dalis is a tiefling so, can he join the party? Tiefling are short? Maybe not so much...
And then rescue Imoen!

Comments

• SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    Ok SOD will be an issue with only Glint and Mkhin...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If you want a full party, nothing is preventing you from playing multiplayer and filling out the missing shorty slots.

You maybe even able to find some mods that add more shorties to the games in the mod section.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I don't know how they are in the larger Forgotten Realms lore, but in Baldur's Gate Tieflings use the elf/half-elf character model, so I'd think they were of at least average height.
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    Any race could have “slept” with fiends, but in case of Haer-Dalis, he was suposed to be son of a human and a fiend. Most tieflings are considered a human subrace. He is not short.

But elfs are not really tall in D&D. They are around 160cm, if that might help.
    It's funny how fantasy can't seem to agree on the height of elves. They're always tall or short though, never average height. With the exception of Tolkein's work of course.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

It's funny how fantasy can't seem to agree on the height of elves. They're always tall or short though, never average height. With the exception of Tolkein's work of course.

I thought Tolkien's elves were a tall variant.
    From what I understand in the text of Tolkein's work, elves were visually indistinguishable from humans, and often mistaken for eachother.

The whole tall, pale, pointy ears thing, that was an interpretation that was popular with fans in their fanworks, to the point that it's become how many people imagine elves even though nowhere in the books themselves does Tolkien say the elves look like that, and a few times says things that directly contradict it.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited June 2018
    Interesting of note is that Drow are the shortest elves, some being just a head or so taller than dwarves. Making Viconia and Baeloth another two candidates for this party theme.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623

From what I understand in the text of Tolkein's work, elves were visually indistinguishable from humans, and often mistaken for eachother.

The whole tall, pale, pointy ears thing, that was an interpretation that was popular with fans in their fanworks, to the point that it's become how many people imagine elves even though nowhere in the books themselves does Tolkien say the elves look like that, and a few times says things that directly contradict it.

Real elves are supposed to have so long and pointy ears that they are able able to pick their teeth with their ear tips. WoW is the only game that got it right. Truth!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    As one of the probably throng of ppl who has only ever read Hobbit and the LotR books, I have to admit I don't know what Tolkien described the elves as, I just can't remember now so many years after. I had read other fantasy before I read Tolkien's so I probably already had an idea in my head I applied. I do always see them as significantly taller than humans though which is why I never play elf in D&D since they look ridiculous to me compared to my headcanon elves. I've figured that Tolkien kinda made the elves into what a evolved human might be given time, removing diseases, aging and adding height (since we humans grow taller).
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    If you are still going through interesting party combinations, I would keep Haer'Dalis for another run. If you combine Aerie, Minsc, Haer'Dalis you get some great banter. For your party Mazzy & Korgan are great together. Jan is Jan. I don't think there is anyone else who obviously fits in.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Aragorn is part elf though, just how much percentage I don't recall
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    lroumen said:

Aragorn is part elf though, just how much percentage I don't recall

No, he is part Numenorian. The ugh "greater" humans I guess. I think there are like, 4 half elves in the whole legendarium. Elrond is one. Though in the mythology, a half elf can CHOOSE which race they wish to belong to, keeping their immortality and more elvish looks (as Elrond did), or giving it up for a more human existence, as well as whatever afterlife awaits humans.
    edited June 2018
    The numenoreans were descendents of elves and humans which is the source of their longevity.
    Sure Elros choose to be human but he was still half elf and his descendents are equally part elf in that sense. It just gets thinned down every generation.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    edited June 2018
    Aragorn is the worst example I could've used... You're right of course @lroumen , Aragorn does have elvish ancestors, even though we're talking thousands of years before his birth. Certainly not enough to call him a half-elf, he's definitely human, but probably enough to influence his longevity and maybe his appearance. I don't recall if Tolkien ever described him as attractive, but he sure is in the movies which is what I meant in my previous comment.

He is indeed a Numenorian. Númenor was founded by a half-elf (I don't recall his name, but I think he was related to Elrond? Maybe I'm mistaken here).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Iroumen @Dev6 I'm pretty sure Numenorian were simply the first people. Elves and humans didn't intermingle much even in the 1st and 2nd ages. There is a reason Beren and Luthien are such a big deal. Before the fall of Numenor, people were NEARLY immortal, but still died eventually, but were still barred from the undying lands. Because they weren't elves.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited June 2018
    Well, it's not like Tolkein didn't list this in the appendices in 'The Return of the King'. I have it...somewhere, but it can also be found on the internet.

I typed it out (except there's a big hole in the Lords of Andunie, so have to assume that the 18 Lords are directly decended) and count 62 generations from Aragorn (II) to Elros, brother of Elrond.

So, Aragorn married his cousin, 62 generations removed. Gross. :smiley:

Also, Elros would be the first king of Numenor.

When looking at the House of Elros/Kings of Numenor, the line that leads to Aragorn split off fairly early, at Tar-Elendil, to Simarien (daughter who didn't inherit) and then Valandil (and then off the "map" to the Lords of Andunie), while the Kings of Numenor go off from Tar-Elendil to Tar-Meneldir and thus to the eventual doom of the line.
    Post edited by Quickblade on
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

These are elves far as I'm concerned.

Grew up with this rather than the Tolkein stuff.
    So yep, they are shorties.

https://www.arranalexander.co.uk/ekmps/shops/macduffdave/images/elves-the-shoemaker-vintage-ladybird-book-well-loved-tales-606d-first-edition-matte-hardback-1965-39.png
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Gnomes!
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Feel bad because you don't know how Tolkien described elves? Don't worry, the people who made the animated version of The Hobbit didn't know either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQz4jVmEaFI
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    Some Tolkien characters were ridiculously tall. Especially Numenoreans and ancient elves. Elendil was 240cm tall, Galadriel was 190cm (tallest female character), Thingol was said to be "the tallest of the Children of Iluvatar" and was probably around 270cm.
    Hmm, in the Netherlands 190cm is not that exceptional, though the average height is probably 175 or such.