Skip to content

Saddest Baldur's Gate Moment (Spoilers)

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Balrog99
    260,000 Quest Exp for each party member! But the Real Elminster couldn't be killed by some paltry party grasping for straws to stop a prophecy that they very nearly end up causing instead.
    Balrog99
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    The obvious guilt and regret from Yoshimo just feel so much worse when Irenicus casually points out that "it was his suggestion, really".

Also, both Brage and Bassilus. Bassilus may be a murderous, Cyric-loving bastard, but it's still sad to see his extreme survivor guilt and how he tries to cope with it through denial. "Is it a crime to wish your family whole? Whatever the method, I had created some measure of peace for myself!!"

Geesh, that's rough.
    ProontMontresor_SP
    @Skatan
    I forgot all about that one, I've only ever taken Jan as a party member twice. It really is the worst and it tore me apart to watch that happen.
    ThacoBellMontresor_SP
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    How about drizzt? or maybe noober after dorn's quest...Cernd's epilogue is pretty sad though but maybe he deserved it :smile:
    Montresor_SPRVNS
    @brunardo
    What happens to Drizzt in the Baldur's Gate Series? I mean, his actual life is very tragic but aside from the possibility of getting killed twice (and clearly resurrected both times) I can't think of anything sad about Drizzt in the Baldur's Gate games.

I'll give you Cernd's epilogue.

But killing Noober isn't sad, it's hilarious.
    Montresor_SPThacoBellRVNS
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    The moment i realized that developer's will not complete the soultaker dagger questline
    Montresor_SPRaduzielRVNSDev6
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Daevelon said:

The moment i realized that developer's will not complete the soultaker dagger questline

Its not over yet.
    Balrog99RVNSDev6Contemplative_Hamster
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited June 2018
    There are no sad moments in Baldur's Gate. Only happy little accidents.

Oh I hate the wailing and the gnashing of teeth in self pity that a person has lost a friend.

I sort of felt bad romancing Jaheira to show my adoptive aunt what a real lover was capable of, only to leave her behind as I transcended to god hood.

Only for a moment mind. Have you seen those solar babes? Corrr blimey!

I suppose this is from a very narrow role-playing perspective, but still...

EDIT: Also the above statement reads really chaotic evil... In real life I'm so Lawful Good, paladins see me as a role-model... Honest

ProontThacoBellRVNS
  • SinaheribSinaherib Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2018
    I can't say there are many moments in BG that made me sad, but the one that impressed me most during my first playthrough was Gorion's death
    Now I understand thatit id an "old mentor's/parent's death" cliche, but back at that time, being a teenager, I was really shocked, when I saw how that creepy armoured guy from the opening cinematic killed Gorion in the dark night forest. Seeing his image in PC's dreams was always so sad, and when I met "Gorion" in Candlekeep's catacombs I was really happy a first! Yes, those doppelgangers fooled me! :D

During my BG2 playthrough I was much more experienced already, so it was harder to make me sad.
    Khalid, Dynaheir - without BGNPCProjects they were just silent companions. Yoshimo - I don't remember being too shocked by his betrayal.
    Irenicus? Honestly speaking, my strongest emotion was disappointment. He looked so mysterious in the first half of the game, that this story about love and revenge felt boring to me.

Like people stated before there are many sad moments connected with side quests. Wellyn, Brage, Jan's story. I also recall a girl Petrin who ran from home in Baldur's Gate, and her cat Angel. There was something sad for me in this simple story too.
    Montresor_SPProontThacoBellRVNS
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    Wellyn was mentioned and I think is truly sad. One of the few others that truly made me really even remotely sad was the pickled people in Irenicus's dungeon and his clones of his love.

Not much is really touched on this but my imagination makes it much more worse and tragic.
    ThacoBellProontEmpyrial
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    As I play no-reload and no resurrection style, whenever I have had a romance going for a long time, or even a long time friend only NPC, it's a real shocker if they get killed off. Well, I spose that's a mad/sad combination. B)
    ThacoBellProont
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Sinaherib said:

I can't say there are many moments in BG that made me sad, but the one that impressed me most during my first playthrough was Gorion's death

Now I understand thatit id an "old mentor's/parent's death" cliche, but back at that time, being a teenager, I was really shocked, when I saw how that creepy armoured guy from the opening cinematic killed Gorion in the dark night forest. Seeing his image in PC's dreams was always so sad, and when I met "Gorion" in Candlekeep's catacombs I was really happy a first! Yes, those doppelgangers fooled me! :D

During my BG2 playthrough I was much more experienced already, so it was harder to make me sad.
    Khalid, Dynaheir - without BGNPCProjects they were just silent companions. Yoshimo - I don't remember being too shocked by his betrayal.
    Irenicus? Honestly speaking, my strongest emotion was disappointment. He looked so mysterious in the first half of the game, that this story about love and revenge felt boring to me.

Like people stated before there are many sad moments connected with side quests. Wellyn, Brage, Jan's story. I also recall a girl Petrin who ran from home in Baldur's Gate, and her cat Angel. There was something sad for me in this simple story too.
    This's not a cliche though, it's just life. The old generation teaches to young generation. Just watch any of the "based on a true story" movies about a washed up athlete that becomes a coach and leads his / her team to victory. I am sure sometimes their life ends prematurely due to heartattacks and similar. Or deathstalkers.
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    For me, it's on the Marek and Lothander quest.

There's a certain way to do the quest (I don't remember how) that results in Lothander not getting his geas removal, I think it's if you mess up the Temple of Umberlee section.

If I recall correctly, he still gives you the antidote - and says he has to go tell his lover that he's going to die. It was very sad dialogue.

This was years ago, though, and there's nothing on the Wiki about it. So I may be misremembering.
    @alastair93
    I've never tried that before, but is sad.

I typically do the quest the normal way, except when I'm playing any of my CN characters in which case I do the quest exactly as it is meant to be done until I get back to the Temple of Umberlee and then I pretend to hand over the book for the scroll but don't.

I then proceed to kill everyone in the Temple of Umberlee, use the book to increase my cleric's wisdom, give the Geas Scroll to Lothander and then go kill Marek.

If I'm playing an Evil Character, Lothander dies too.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    DrakeICN said:

Sinaherib said:

This's not a cliche though, it's just life. The old generation teaches to young generation. Just watch any of the "based on a true story" movies about a washed up athlete that becomes a coach and leads his / her team to victory. I am sure sometimes their life ends prematurely due to heartattacks and similar. Or deathstalkers.
    No, it's a cliché.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MentorOccupationalHazard

Gorion's death in BG1 is even listed as the third entry under video games.

DrakeICN said:

Sinaherib said:

No, it's a cliché.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MentorOccupationalHazard

Gorion's death in BG1 is even listed as the third entry under video games.
    People have to much time on their hands. Just look at the wast number of "cliches" in that single article alone. Take a random persons life and tell their story in a movie format, and you'd rack up a lot of cliches. When EVERYTHING is a cliche, then NOTHING is truly.
    semiticgoddess
    edited June 2018
    DrakeICN said:

People have to much time on their hands. Just look at the wast number of "cliches" in that single article alone. Take a random persons life and tell their story in a movie format, and you'd rack up a lot of cliches. When EVERYTHING is a cliche, then NOTHING is truly.

And when everyone's super...
    ProontNimranBelgarathMTH
    Director: Cicero! A story about a low level lawyer that defends a man that has been framed against a corrupt legal system and...
    Producer: Let me guess; he wins the case, and then goes on to become proconsul? Didn't we already do this is legally blonde? NEXT!

Director: Ok, ok. Joan of Arc. France is under English occupation, and they keep losing skirmishes, but then this young farmers girl shows up and turn the tide of war.
    Producer: You know, I think our audiences are really starting to grow tired of this SJW s***. Let me guess, she goes on to become queen?
    Director: No, actually, they burn her at the stake for witchcraft.
    Producer: Of cooooourse they do! :sigh: You know, this third wave feminism is really annoying, what with their hatred of the "patriarchy" and victimhood complex. NEXT!

Director: So, I have been thinking about this movie "The bomb". It is about a super weapon, a device capable of laying waste to entire cities.
    Producer: Oh, SciFi, hmmm.... yeah why not. I haven't done one of those in a while.
    Director: Two empires are at war, and one of them is nearing completion of the bomb. Well, not really, but the other side thinks so, so they send saboteurs etc. And they hurry up their own program - but they manage to defeat the first empire before completion of the bomb. But then, there is this third empire...
    Producer: Wait a second! This bomb thing, this superweapon, it's very similar to the one ring in LOTR isn't it?
    Director: Not really,..
    Producer: NEXT!

Director: This is a good one! I call it "Space Race". Two empires...
    Producer: More empires? It's starting to get cliche. Nevermind, carry on.
    Director: They both want to be the first empire to visit the moon, so they build rocket labs, and...
    Producer: Oh Lord! Is it a movie about science? Why don't you just make a movie about interior decorators? Five hours of watching the paint dry! NEXT!

Director: This is the last one I got, I'm afraid. I call it "Dolan Drumpf". It's about a village idiot who becomes POTUS...
    Producer: Totally unrealistic, but it's a comedy I suppose?
    Director: Well... actually, it's more of a tragedy.
    Producer: :roll eyes: Of course it is! Ugghhh! This better be good!
    Director: He endorses police brutality, he calls the media fake and has his own propaganda network, he is dismantling the rule of law, he demonizes people who believe, look or love differently, he is of the opinion that he should be granted more power and unlimited term limits, he mocks the UN and pulls out of the human rights council, he rips children away from parents telling the parents the children will just get a shower but instead puts them in prison camps,..
    Producer: Wait a second! I know where you ripped this story from! Just call it WWII part 2: Electric Bogaloo! Christ! Do you have even ONE original idea in your head? It's all done before, tired old cliches from what I hear!
    Montresor_SPProontdeltagoEmpyrial
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Daevelon said:

This, and #bringBackCaelar
    Ratibor92
    edited June 2018
    @DrakeICN
    Sir (Or Madam), I believe you've derailed the thread considerably with your take on the cliche sidebar. I don't appreciate my threads getting political. I don't mean to offend, but please don't do that.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited June 2018
    DrakeICN said:

stuff

I seem to have really touched a nerve here.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Having to leave Delainy/Durlyle behind. Got me the first time, and it still does.
    JoenSoThacoBellProontCabal82
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    edited June 2018
    DrakeICN said:

Just for the record, TV Tropes don't list cliches, but tropes, and are pretty clear that they view it as two completely different things. Even if a trope of course can be cliche. And since the death of a mentor trope is a part of the whole Hero's journey story pattern it sure is common. If you want to view it as a cliche or not is another thing.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tropes
    ThacoBellProont
    @CamDawg
    Who?