Skip to content

Saddest Baldur's Gate Moment (Spoilers)

Comments

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    The love interest (and werewolf) that helps you escape Werewolf Isle in TotSC. Delainy spawns for male protaganists, Durlyle for female.
    ZaramMaldovar
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,428
    Finding Khalid forced dead in BG2 after always using him in the party was the only part in the game where I teared a little, never used him again. :D
    tbone1
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    CamDawg said:

The love interest (and werewolf) that helps you escape Werewolf Isle in TotSC. Delainy spawns for male protaganists, Durlyle for female.
    For years I never realised that and always wondered who this "Delainy" was. Thought I'd missed her.

But for the female protagagenists, Durlyle is a complete wuss, no woman in their right mind would want to be saddled with that loser.

"Oh noes, you are so forward, let me give you some poisoned flowers that I asked you to risk your life collecting"

"Gee, thanks Durlyle, you're a prince"
    semiticgoddessProont
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    ThacoBell said:

Daevelon said:

The moment i realized that developer's will not complete the soultaker dagger questline

Its not over yet.
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddessBalrog99
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    tbone1 said:

ThacoBell said:

Daevelon said:

The moment i realized that developer's will not complete the soultaker dagger questline

Its not over yet.
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!
    Took me a second.
    tbone1
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2018
    @tbone1
    The Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor, that was the Japanese.
    ThacoBellProont

@tbone1

@tbone1 is at it again.
    @ZaramMaldovar Do you kids learn NOTHING useful in school?

Proont
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited June 2018

@tbone1

The Germans didn't bomb the Japanese; that was Poland. :wink:
    ThacoBellProontArtona

@tbone1

Yeah, but so did the Russians. And Swedes. And Ukranians. And Austrians. And, well, Poland does not have a happy history.
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddessBalrog99Proont
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    tbone1 said:

@tbone1

Yeah, but so did the Russians. And Swedes. And Ukranians. And Austrians. And, well, Poland does not have a happy history.
    What do you expect, their people are poles!
    I've read about Polish history recently, once I found out that my wife's great-uncle was in the Polish Cavalry that faced the Panzers on horseback ... and survived.

And yes, she is from The Old Country. Chicago. [RIMSHOT] Thank you, I'm here all week.
    ThacoBellRaduziel
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    tbone1 said:

I've read about Polish history recently, once I found out that my wife's great-uncle was in the Polish Cavalry that faced the Panzers on horseback ... and survived.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Reflection_Shield
    tbone1Raduziel
    @RVNS
    True, but if you complete the quest right at least they get their happy ending.
    ThacoBellMontresor_SP
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2018
    The saddest moment I've ever experienced in Baldur's Gate was when I had rolled a 100 for a Blade and, having had the restraint not to press "reroll", would ultimately ruin it by accidentally pressing "start over" with my mouse cursor once I was ready to begin playing. And yes, sadly, that actually happened. It was a couple of years ago and I mentioned it on these very forums right after. And I'm still not over it.

*wipes away tear*
    ThacoBellProontZaramMaldovarArtona
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

The saddest moment I've ever experienced in Baldur's Gate was when I had rolled a 100 for a Blade and, having had the restraint not to press "reroll", would ultimately ruin it by accidentally pressing "start over" with my mouse cursor once I was ready to begin playing. And yes, sadly, that actually happened. It was a couple of years ago and I mentioned it on these very forums right after. And I'm still not over it.

*wipes away tear*

Bummer. The only time I rolled a 100 it was for a Totemic Druid. I REALLY needed that roll for basically a summoner who throws darts in her spare time, NOT...

(It was still pretty cool though!)
    @Stormvessel
    That is definitely a sad moment, have you posted it on the Facepalm Thread?

I've abandoned some pretty high roles, I know I re-rolled a 93 by mistake once.

I can't remember whether 95 or 98 is the highest roll I've gotten before or not and I can't remember whether I took it or accidentally re-rolled it.

When my Dad was creating his last character he actually re-rolled a 95 on purpose and ended up getting a 98, so maybe that's what I'm remembering.
    Balrog99Montresor_SPProont
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Melyssan's betrayal. Definitely hadn't seen that coming, she looked so nice :cry:
    Also Aerie's romance ending. They say my protagonist ends up married with Whining Aerie. Had he known, I'd wager he'd opted for godhood.

More seriously, Viconia's story has pained me a lot. Not just her ending, but her entire story is a terrible one and I can't help but feel deep sympathy for her and take her on every single playthrough I make just for that reason.
    ZaramMaldovarProontOriganum
    @Arunsun I can't stand Viconia as a character. She is a manipulative, emotionally abusive, pathological liar. Why the so many players fawn over her is a mystery. HOWEVER. I agree that her romance epilogue is Diabolus ex Machina bullcrap. If you want a tragedy, don't pull it out of your bum.
    ThacoBell said:

@Arunsun I can't stand Viconia as a character. She is a manipulative, emotionally abusive, pathological liar. Why the so many players fawn over her is a mystery. HOWEVER. I agree that her romance epilogue is Diabolus ex Machina bullcrap. If you want a tragedy, don't pull it out of your bum.

Well, question of perspective I suppose. And another evidence that BG is well-written. I see her as more of a victim of that system, that grew in a society that forced her to behave like that, because it was do-or-die back then. And that had after-effects. All the defaults you mention, she has them, true enough. But her romance is primarily about gaining her trust, so that she will open to you, and eventually you can somewhat redeem her and free her from her past (hence the alignment change).
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    people just feel sorry for her and find her sympathetic.
    ZaramMaldovar
    edited July 2018
    @Arunsun
    Besides the Aerie thing, I agree with you. I didn't see Mellisan's betrayal coming the first time either. I've never really tried the Viconia romance, but I like her as a character.

Furthermore, if you didn't want to end up with Aerie, why did you romance her all the way to TOB in the first place?

@Arunsun
    I realize that comment may have come off as hostile. I'm not great at social interactions and didn't realize that right away, I apologize it was not by intention.
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    semiticgoddess

@Arunsun
    Besides the Aerie thing, I agree with you. I didn't see Mellisan's betrayal coming the first time either. I've never really tried the Viconia romance, but I like her as a character.

Furthermore, if you didn't want to end up with Aerie, why did you romance her all the way to TOB in the first place?

Well, the first part of my post was humour more than my real thoughts. As to why I romanced Aerie throughout both SoA and ToB, well, I have tried every romance at least once. Truthfully, I dislike Anomen much more than I do Aerie, and she somewhat becomes more confident in ToB too.
    @Arunsun
    I've never tried Anomen's romance, then again I've never gotten very far with a female character in the series before, but at some point I'll give it a try. It's been years since I've had Anomen in my party, but I always likes his character. It's true that he is pompous and arrogant, but he has a very interesting personal quest that has potential no matter which direction you take it.

I realized later that you might have been attempting to be humorous, but I don't always catch on to these things very quickly (Hooray Aspergers!)
    Arunsun
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited September 2018
    In my playthroughs, Kivan often goes slightly crazy in the Cloakwood Mines. His natural Ranger antipathies to being cooped up and anxieties triggered from having encountered Tazok in Bandit Camp overwhelm him. After Tazok never shows up and Charname announces intention to delay pursuing quest into Baldurs Gate City [instead doing some TotSC material] Kivan abandons ship to pursue Tazok on his own.

Branwen leaves with him and Charname recruits Yeslick and Coran as replacements. Doubly challenging because Charname has found a kindred spirit in Branwen even though he has never quite admitted it to himself. Minsc is also torn-up as a fellow-ranger and may or may not join Kivan.

And, if only Kivan had stuck it out, he would have gotten his revenge and probably ended up fabulously wealthy instead of his more likely fate of being butchered in vain. On the other hand, maybe he and Branwen recruit Ajantis, Quayle and Safana... Hmmmm!

Post edited by Eadwyn_G8keeper on
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Most of the poll options didn’t affect me much. Lavok’s death and Valygar’s introspection afterwards is an underrated moment though, and Anomen’s character development is another.
    Skatantbone1
  • DragonOfShadesDragonOfShades Member Posts: 56
    Fall of Saradush. You try to stop the siege but when you face Yaga-Shura it's always too late.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited September 2018
    ThacoBell said:

@ThacoBell
    Fair enough, but I stand by my statement that the Greater Doppleganger appearing as Elminster is evidence that dopplegangers don't have to kill someone to take their form.

That being said, the only instance of this is the Greater Doppleganger, so you may be right.

True, but Elminster also isn't a resident of Candlekeep and is never seen within its walls. Nobody would have interacted with him enough know sometihng was wrong, except for maybe poor Gorion. Though I would like to see a Doppleganer TRY to kill him.
    I am with ZaramMaldovar on that - always though "something wrong" was about monks in the library - to point at the doppelgangers found right on the same floor, not the people around like Wintrop. And presence of Elminister and Gorion was (for me) an obvious clue that everything inside the dungeon is an illusion taken from your memories (with help of that special doppelganger posing as Elminister).

On a subject - I feel as a cold blooded monster now, because I never though of BG as a sad story. Out of all suggestions Yoshimo's Betrayal for me was the most memorable and emotional, but far from "sad". This is probably the reason I like BG so much - no sadness, but action and determination. Or I am indeed heartless.
    Skatan