Skip to content

Ain't no party like a Evil party cause a Evil party don't stop

So I have been considering another couple runs with creating the entire party from scratch. One of the ideas I have is for a classically/archetypally evil part (either characters restricted to evil or associated with evil tropes). I wanted you guys input on some of the choices, this is basically a Role-playing discussion.

Tank/Warrior: Blackguard of course. Seems straight forward enough.

Divine Caster: Talos. Only option really, but Is a Hurricane evil?

Rogue: Assassin seems the most likely candidate

Magic User: This one is a bit contentious. Seems like a toss up between Necromancer and Dragon Disciple. Necromancy is often associated with evil in many examples of media. And the Dragon Disciple is possibly a descendent of a Red (evil) dragon.

5th ranger: Another contentious spot, I think that perhaps the shadow dancer kit lends itself better to an evil persona. The other option would be a jester, I always have it in my head that these guys are like the Joker or Harley Quinn, a jester to me would have the personality of Xzar or sheogorath. Technically they could be 5th and 6th I suppose

Quartz

Comments

• thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    An Evil Cleric/Illusionist seems to fit really well. Could go Lawful Evil or Chaotic Evil depending if you want them to be a really devoted evil doer with magic or a mad scientist who doesn't hesitate to hurl friendly fire at a pack of enemies even if your Blackguard is up there.
    madmaximus
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    edited July 2018

So I have been considering another couple runs with creating the entire party from scratch. One of the ideas I have is for a classically/archetypally evil part (either characters restricted to evil or associated with evil tropes). I wanted you guys input on some of the choices, this is basically a Role-playing discussion.

--SNIP--

5th ranger: Another contentious spot, I think that perhaps the shadow dancer kit lends itself better to an evil persona. The other option would be a jester, I always have it in my head that these guys are like the Joker or Harley Quinn, a jester to me would have the personality of Xzar or sheogorath. Technically they could be 5th and 6th I suppose

I tried this once and found it a bit too dry for my taste with lack of interactions. I got around the issue by designing a party and then choosing the NPC personalities that best matched the character concepts. With EE keeper I just reassigned class, proficiencies etc as needed and rerolled stats. Preferable not to have all the toons with 90+ rolls imo due to lack of challenge, but to each their own.

Party from my Dragon Disciple run included Xan the Fighter, Eldoth the Jester and Viconia the Assassin. Tiax just got a reroll of stats, hard to improve an NPC who is almost perfect hehe. Shar-Teel the barbarian would have been a nice addition but I didn't really need a sixth wheel and I think she would kill Eldoth. To keep a little extra flavour I also left these characters with a weakness similar to their original incarnation. Tiax and Vic had low strength, Xan had low con and Eldoth had low dex.

If you want to be true to the MP custom party concept special abilities/items should also be removed. No poison arrows for Eldoth, MR for Viconia, ghast for Tiax or moonblade for Xan. I was weak though and kept the moonblade :# its essentially Icingdeath+3 but uses dagger proficiency.

madmaximusJidokwon
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Shadowdancer in DnD lore are actually a thief variation of the Monk class. Not sure if they're really Evil types as much as they're Neutral though Monks can definitely be Evil as well. Might not be the ideal Evil type for a party run though.
    madmaximusSkatan
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited July 2018
    A Darkmoon Monk might fit in there somewhere. Also a bounty hunter can be pretty evil too. Drawing enemies into your death traps sounds pretty evil to me!
    madmaximusQuartzbutteredsoul
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140

An Evil Cleric/Illusionist seems to fit really well. Could go Lawful Evil or Chaotic Evil depending if you want them to be a really devoted evil doer with magic or a mad scientist who doesn't hesitate to hurl friendly fire at a pack of enemies even if your Blackguard is up there.

I thought about the cleric/illusionist or the thief/cleric (priest of mask). Definitely considered an evil little Gnome.
    Very Big sword you thought of eldoth as a Jester? I always thought of him as too smooth for that. Plus Id take Shar-Teel over Eldoth any day

edited July 2018
    Noloir said:

Shadowdancer in DnD lore are actually a thief variation of the Monk class. Not sure if they're really Evil types as much as they're Neutral though Monks can definitely be Evil as well. Might not be the ideal Evil type for a party run though.

I did not know that Shadow Dancers were a monk kit. Interesting.

Balrog99 said:

A Darkmoon Monk might fit in there somewhere. Also a bounty hunter can be pretty evil too. Drawing enemies into your death traps sounds pretty evil to me!

I totally forgot about the Dark moon. Excellent suggestion
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222

Very Big sword you thought of eldoth as a Jester? I always thought of him as too smooth for that. Plus Id take Shar-Teel over Eldoth any day

I get what you are saying about Eldoth but I struggled to think of a suitable match and had to settle. I justified it by imagining a witty, cutting jester type instead of a buffoon. More Ricky Gervais at the golden globes than Adam Sandler in waterboy?

Yeah Shar is great, but it would have been too powerful a group. As a substitute for Xan she would have been fine but I really wanted Xan for this particular run.

Anyway the idea was just to keep a bit more of the personalities while having complete control of the builds, completely not necessary. I have BG1 NPC mod and there are many interactions I would otherwise miss out on, e.g. you would not normally have a party with Eldoth, Garrick and Skie but there are apparently some great banters.
    madmaximus
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Go all uber powerful and choose a gnome. A BIG evil gnome.

The class doesn't matter that much. I would perhaps cheat slightly and use BGEEkeeper to edit your character. I am enjoying role-playing a gnome wildmage who just does not give a flying cahoots if he accidently changes CHARNAME to a women, makes cows fall from the sky or have fireballs centred on the party. He will just cast reckless dweomers until the cows come home (from the sky) His high shorty saves makes sure he/she is alright while everything dies around him...

Also, I love gnecromancers.
    Balrog99
  • ValciValci Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018
    @Very_BigSword
    I can absolutely relate to this. Ever since discovering BG1 NPC mod I cannot play the game without it. It's very well done, most of the lines are very much in character and it breathes so much life into this game...
    @Very_BigSword

Interesting take on eldoth.

What is this NPC mod you guys are talking about? I never used mods
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Eldoth would fit in pretty well as a Charlatan, as well a character class for a bard in a custom built group. An evil party couldn't go wrong with a good con man in the group.
    madmaximus
  • ValciValci Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Rogue; assassin sure fits the trope but you will have to spend most points in lockpick/traps if you want the rogue to be able to do that. Assassins get's so few points that you have to put them all in stealth if you want to be able to backstab reliably. You could always use knock though of course and just run over traps.

Magic user; I'd go with necromancer

5:th slot; definitely not ranger. Shadow monk is a good choice thematically but monks in BG1 lowlevels are really weak. Shadow druid (avenger) could also be a choice but needs some tweaking in eekeeper since you can't pick neutral-evil on char creation and use druid class.
    madmaximus