Skip to content

The World Cup 2018 - Discussion, Opinions, and Prediction game

Comments

• fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    England-Colombia will be the England-Belgium game, if both teams had fielded their best players...it'll be extremely close, basically Harry Kane and Jordan Pickford vs Colombia.

I would have preferred England to go out in glorious style versus Brazil, but that's life :)
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Yup, about time for my 1/8 predictions:

Uruguay vs. Portugal: 1-1 (Portugal wins the penalties) - it would be an ugly match to watch, but Cristiano won't be sad this time.

France vs. Argentina: 2-0 - enough luck for Messi and his team. France would swing into a higher gear and doesn't give Albicelestes any chance.

Spain vs. Russia: 1-1 (Spain wins in extra time) - this would be a suprisingly difficult match for Spain, but they will squeeze through.

Croatia vs. Denmark: 2-0 - Croatia will keep up momentum and wins this easily.

Brazil vs. Mexico: 2-1 - Brazil won't impress, but Mexicans already showed their best at this WC.

Belgium vs. Japan: 3-0 - becuase of what Japanese showed with Poland, they didn't deserve the promotion to 1/8.

Sweden vs. Switzerland: 2-2 (Sweden wins the penalties) - Sweden will do it to my utmost surprise.

Colombia vs. England: 1-2 - I'd say Columbia is strong because their crushed Poland like a twig, but no... it was Poland that was dramatically weak. So yeah, the Sons of Albion will go through the semi-finals.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I'd say 3 or 4 of the goals were candidates for Goal of the Tournament.
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Dammit Portugal
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Excellent!
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2018
    elminster said:

Uruguay Vs Portugal : 2-1 for Uruguay

Turns out I was right :)
    StummvonBordwehrMontresor_SPJuliusBorisov
    Huj, turns out Cristiano will be sad tonight after all :p
    elminsterMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    Trivia from Danish news site: Spain has never beaten a host nation in eight attempts.

So far it looks like that curse is about to be broken.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I do find it worrying that without Iniesta in play they seem almost incapable of building up a proper attack.
    Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2018
    Curse remains unbroken.

Spain-Russia: 3-1. Spain is stronger but Russia is playing at home.

*curses*
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    What's not to like on this World Cup? France really impressed me.

@StummvonBordwehr

I still think Spain is a solid bet for the cup...

Welcome to the club! ...

Germany, Argentina, Portugal, Spain = all out...

So we have the following favourites for becoming a champion:

Germany 4 votes (me, Montresor_SP, FinneousPJ, Doubledimas)
    Spain 1 vote (StummvonBordwehr)
    Brazil 1 vote (Cahir)
    Nigeria 1 vote (Grond0)
    Argentina 1 vote (JM)
    Portugal 1 vote (because why not - JM)

And we have the following votes for the second place:
    France 4 votes (me, StummvonBordwehr, Montresor_SP, Cahir)
    Brazil 3 votes (FinneousPJ, Grond0, Doubledimas)
    Argentina 1 vote (JM)
    Portugal 1 vote (because why not - JM)

So only @Cahir 's choice can be the correct one. Even Jose Mourinho was mistaken.
    elminster said:

elminster said:

Uruguay Vs Portugal : 2-1 for Uruguay

Turns out I was right :)
    Congratulations! Hope Cavani will be able to play against France for the sake of football. Good luck! (althogh I believe France will do better than Portugal here).
    Grond0Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehrFinneousPJ
    Blast it Croatia! If you had to win, couldn't you have done it in ordinary time and secured me a point in the prediction game!! :angry:
    StummvonBordwehrFinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Can you believe it will be 100% one of these teams in the final now:

Russia
    Croatia
    Switzerland
    Sweden
    Columbia
    England

I'd say that if England wanted to have a good chance during a World Cup, this is probably the best possible case, no?

No player left in the World Cup has ever won it, or even played in the final.

Match by match prediction leaders:

@FinneousPJ 36 points
    @Doubledimas 34 points

Overall prediction leaders:

@Doubledimas 90 points
    @FinneousPJ 84 points

A few Reddit jokes to cheer us up:

Rumor has it, Spain still passing the ball in the locker room.

80% possession, 1,000 passes, and 1 own goal from the other team.

Passed their way out of the World Cup.

Some say they are still making passes. They are up to 5000 passes now.

"hey you guys wanna win?"
    nah I'll pass.

1138 - boarding pass

P.S.

Something interesting about Neymar: this is from 2014 (!): http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fail/198825/football-gif-neymar-just-keeps-rolling-and-rolling-and-rolling-and-rolling.html

And this is from 2018

This is why I believe Björn Kuipers should be a referee of the final this year. Respect!
    Montresor_SPSkatanGrond0StummvonBordwehr
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    FEIJOADA 2 X 0 BURRITO!
    StummvonBordwehrMontresor_SPfluke13
    Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehrFinneousPJ
    Fought like real men, again. Deserved! Now, Columbia or England don't look invincible, so there's a chance for Sweden.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    My fingers are crossed for Belgium, in solidarity of a great friend, and heck - should this potentially golden generation to go ashen, it would be such monumental waste!!

And I love that France always seems to have a revelation - be it Pogba, be it Mbappé!

I've been a fan of Germany since their grindy win over Argentina ('90 I think) but it has been somehow great that both were left in the group stages. Upsets and fresh, bold, team oriented play!

I also love that Sweden post Zlatan progressed to last eight, way better than with him: I don't think the game should be about "messianic" stars that are the formulaic focal point of gameplay. Note AR & PT here too.

Too hyped for BE - BR.

I'd like BE, FR, SE and HR to progress to final four, and either BE or FR - or Sweden, but I am a doubting Timothy here, sorry - to take it. Preferably Belgium out of those two, though.

Slight Euro footie bias here, I admit! :smile:
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr

Eng - col: 1-1 (Col on penalties :))

Amazing. This just has to happen again...
    TStaelFinneousPJ
    I should feel bad for England, but having these last moment resolutions is just … great!

This is what after all got "my" Belgium forward vs Japan.

This is why I believe Björn Kuipers should be a referee of the final this year. Respect!

I actually think video refereeing is great, and should be here to stay.

For which reason I disagree: Neymar never got a card for this performance worth of "Swan Lake" dying swan dive.

Play-acting should be punished. To dissimulate an injury to get opponent maybe kicked out of field or to get a penalty should be severely punished.

A yellow card to Neymar should have been the minimum. Kuipers did not hand it out, as far as I know?
    lefreutStummvonBordwehr
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

Eng - col: 1-1 (Col on penalties :))

Amazing. This just has to happen again...
    Or perhaps not :p. England take their first ever victory on penalties in the World Cup.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrfluke13
    Congratulations, England.

We've seen strong personality from Belgium and England in the Round 16. We've seen some magic football from France and Uruguay. We've seen strong perfomances from Brazil and Sweden.

Kuipers did give Neymar a card a little bit later. During the match when Kuipers cancelled his decision to award a penalty it felt very strongly. And the following yellow card felt strongly. To me it felt like a double punishment for Neymar.

Man, I'm bad at the predictions this year.

Uruguay - France 2:3 I expect a festival of football. I expect a match to remember. After Germany is out, my bet is on France whom I picked to become a vice-champion before the tournament started.

Brazil - Belgium 2:2 Many will pick Brazil. And they look as they can win the tournament, to many. But I'd pick Roberto Martinez. I remember how his Wigan was a giant-killer. And the personality Belgium showed against Japan will serve them good. This team can score - they're the highest scoring team on this World Cup. I'll go with a draw in normal time and a win for Belgium in extra-time.

Sweden - England 1:0 Sweden has won my heart over the course of this tournament. Only the most wounded beast - Germany after Mexico - could score against them.

Russia - Croatia 0:1 Miracles can't happen for the same team twice in the row. Hope Croatia won't go for 1000+ crosses and will play some direct football. Really, I think Sweden and Croatia deserve their place in the semi-final after some nice football they showed against big favourites.
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0Skatan
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    England to win on penalties!! I lived long enough to see it... go figure.

Btw the English team is more likeable this year. They dont consider nor act like they are the favourites to win the world cup - and it suits them (even though they actually seem to have a fair chance this year...)

My futile attempts at divination:

Uruguay - France 2:1
    France has the skill, but not the coach. Uruguay are too strong in back and at front...

Brazil - Belgium 1:0
    Belgium is overrated, amd and just have the extra flair/rolling ability

Sweden - England 1:0
    Sweden has proven themselves quite solid. England will learn from this game for a more succesfull attempt - in another year (sign me up for 2022 World cup prediction games...).

Russia - Croatia 0:2
    Croatia has just played and won the true final...They will crush Russia to goo. Russia will be goo (sorry JB..)

Well done @Doubledimas and @FinneousPJ for showing us how to do this...
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovSkatan
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Yay, England won. :)

And wtf is going on with S. American football?

Do people enjoy watching this shitty behavior?
    I don't get it, why is there this adoration for S. American teams?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2018
    I predict 2-2 for Uruguay V. France in regular time. With Uruguay winning after that.
    JuliusBorisov
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Yay, England won. :)

And wtf is going on with S. American football?

Do people enjoy watching this shitty behavior?
    I don't get it, why is there this adoration for S. American teams?

Watch the S. American tournament (Libertadores) and maybe you'll understand.

IDK what people see in Belgium. As someone said above, it is overrated AF.

I'm hoping that Uruguay will win, as Brazil is used to steamroll them. Can't say the same for France.

The final match will be a symbolic one. I mean, come on, look at how poorly balanced both branches of the tournament is. One side has France, Belgium, Brazil, and Uruguay. The other side has Sweden, Croatia, Russia, and England.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Looks fair to me ;)
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    I have family in England & Japan. Exhausted after the last day or two of drama and late night watching in my locale. England winning a game on penalties after many disappointments and Japan putting in a good performance are all I could have wished for from this tournament. But time to dream a little further...(not that my guesses were worth much!)

France 2 Uruguay 1

French look like they are getting into their stride, quite impressive.

Brazil 2 Belgium 2

Both sides have weaknesses and flair. Maybe the Belgians on penalties if Martinez doesn't do anything crazy.

England 1 Sweden 0

Probably via a penalty...

Croatia 1 Russia 1

Croatia to go through in extra time, or possibly penalties.
    FinneousPJStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    Ok here's how it's gonna be in quarter finals:

Uruguay vs. France: 1-3
    Brazil vs. Belgium: 4-2
    Sweden vs. England: 0-1
    Russia vs. Croatia: 1-1 (Croatia wind the penalties)
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrfluke13