Skip to content

Is first bgee viable in all caster party?

CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
When I mean all caster party, I mean, mages, sorcerers, clerics, druids, bards and dual-classes and multiclasses like cleric/ranger, but not paladins and pure rangers, since their caster levels are often insignificant.

Comments

• CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Are you sarcastic? I think you are, but it's hard to tell over the web...
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I do have a knack for sarcasm, but no, I was being serious :tongue:
    JuliusBorisov
  • ValciValci Member Posts: 35
    All that you need I suppose would be a thief to not miss out on anything... You could always go for a multi class one to have the caster flavor...
    tbone1
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    A multiclass or low level dual-class Thief is advisable so that you don't miss out on some content, but yes, a fully loaded Arcane party could take the game on (and therefore, a diverse spellcasting party should be able to). Your main issue is that from a purely RP perspective, it'll probably take you 100+ days to finish the game, but if you don't care about that you're fine. Rest often. There's nothing fit to roadblock such a party in the game that I can recall. If there is, it's something optional, so forego it.
    You mightn't be fit to use a lot of the cool gear you can acquire throughout the game, but a Cleric can use most of the armours and shields. Viconia is a better 'tank' than any of the game's Fighters due to her legendarily high AC, so if you include her as a Divine element of the group you ought to negate much of the value attributed to a melee party. Several fights will take longer than you are used to; several will be amusingly easy. Have fun with it!
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Multiclass and dual-class mages and clerics are among the strongest possible party members so you will have no problem completing BG with them.

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Since you can beat the game with a solo sorcerer, I'd have to say you can pretty much take along whatever knid of party you want and still manage.
    tbone1dunbarThacoBellsemiticgoddess
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Yeah, the game allows for a vide variety of play styles.
    tbone1semiticgoddess
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited November 2017
    Branwen/Viconia, Faldorn, Edwin/Baeloth/Xzar, Dynaheir/Xan, Garrick/Eldoth, Charname Thief/mage(or cleric), Tiaz Cleric/Thief. Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can manage ;)
    Edit: damn, I forgot Quayle! :D He joins late though.

Load up on disablers such as web, sleep, horror, command, etc and then sling or melee things to death. Bards and mages can use wands of fire to supplement their killing speed and save some spell slots for more buffs. Use your clerics as tanks to draw heat and use mages and bards to control the battle. To get a caster thief you have to wait for a long time 'til you get Tiax, so if you want to stick to only casters through out you should either create one yourself or do an early dual of Imoen and supplement her then inferior thief skills with knock spell and only have her pump traps skill before dualing.
    tbone1
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    @Skatan And Yeslick, too. He’s one of the top frontliners in the game
    Skatan
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @tbone1, but he is also a fighter so I think that omits him from the OP's team... or maybe not. Now that I re-read the OP, I realize it said multiclasses are OK - so then I say Yes to Yeslick!
    tbone1
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Everything is "viable", but six magic users with no fighters (multi or pure) would be, if anything, one of the easier playthroughs. A Mage/Thief and Mage/Cleric tag team could wipe the floor with pretty much any encounter in the game with ease even if they had four Exp leeching cheerleaders following them around.
    tbone1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    dunbar
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited November 2017
    Agreed that soloing the game with a mage (for example) is do-able. However, completing the game with a full party of six single class spellcasters and keeping them all alive until the end , would be more of a challenge.
    tbone1
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Nice, not intended, though.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    dunbar said:

Agreed that soloing the game with a mage (for example) is do-able. However, completing the game with a full party of six single class spellcasters and keeping them all alive until the end , would be more of a challenge.

The main problem here would be the lack of a thief, methinks, Clerics are plenty tanky, plenty of crowd control overall, and a Skald's song could boost even dart spam to be pretty nasty, let alone an army of summons and polymorphed mage types.

Something like:

Jester
    Skald
    Priest of Talos (CN)
    Totemic Druid
    Enchanter
    Illusionist (Sorcerer is easy mode)

Should be plenty capable of lasting out until mid levels where they start depopulating the sword coast with impunity.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited November 2017
    You don't need a thief to be able to complete the game, though meta-knowledge of traps is obviously helpful to avoid deaths in that situation. I did a no-reload trilogy run with 6 pure class mages a few years ago. I don't remember how many party deaths there were (there were definitely no chunkings though as that ends a run in my rules), but it would certainly be possible to do it without anyone ever dying.

Edit: managed to track down the old Forum post and I recorded 25 party deaths so I was obviously not being terribly careful there ;). Re-reading that post no potions were used during that run and I noted an intention to do a solo kensai run without ever using any potions. I'm not sure if I've ever actually tried that, but if I have I don't think I got very far - perhaps it's time I gave it a go ...
    SkatanStummvonBordwehr
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited November 2017
    It's perfectly viable to play an all-caster party, but the micromanagement and carpal tunnel syndrome o'death that it entails perhaps makes it less than a good idea. Point-and-kill warriors require less work.
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222

Off-topic.

This is interesting. This topic has been created during Haloween, and has the following number:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66666

So Cvijeta created the 66666th discussion in the history of this forum.

Sorry for the "necro" but you did not mention that the post is about a witches and warlocks party, for even more interesting...
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    edited July 2018
    Just keep Imoen as your thief until like level 6-8 and then mage her after you can max out her important thief skills and that should be fun to try. You're probably gonna rest a lot but its not like the game cares how long it takes.