Skip to content

"Black Guard" this overpowered in this update?

ArcanjoArcanjo Member Posts: 155
Doubts about Black Guard: How can I maximize the potential of blackguard, leaving the most effective even in the game?
Ex .: What best Equipment, spells of other heroes...

Best Weapon (Melee)?
1) Dagger of Venom? (Damage: 3-6, Speed: 0, THACO +2, 6 poison dam. per round)
  1. "Black Guard" this overpowered in this update?10 votes
    1. Yes, Overpower
        0.00%
    2. No, Nerfed
      20.00%
    3. Balanced
      80.00%

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I am not able to understand what you are asking.
    Are you asking if we think that the kit is OP, nerfed or balanced in comparison with the average of the other kits and classes?
    Or are you asking if we think that you should try to get from it the best, using the right equipment and eventually other NPCs buffs, balance the use of items and buffs between him and other party members or nerf him giving to him only what others don't need?
    Or are you asking something other?
    I am not a native English speaker, but "this overpowered in this update?" seems to me to lack sense, no verbal form is used. I don't know if you are using some form of slang that I am not able to understand, or also you share my pour knowledge of English language, but I really fail to understand what you are asking.
    JuliusBorisovdunbar
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2016
    I think that you really should read some more about the kit, op. iirc blackguard (I don't play them paladins) is a fallen paladin which means paladin as a class... the point is right now not if he is good or evil but rather that paladin looks kinda silly with a dagger. ;]
    the poison stuff refers to his native ability "poison weapon" which he can use once per day iiirc. this ability bypasses stoneskin and is indeed stupidly overpowered, in BG1EE it breaks the game.

Best equipment is a good two handed sword like Lilacor for example, that mega sword form Underdark Soul Reaver and Unholy Reaver. but the best imo is Silver Sword, just greater whirlwind vorpal hit (insta gib means insta kill and neko means cat) stuff to death in seconds. Spells? No.
    Heroes? You probably mean HLAs. Hardiness and Greater Whirlwind, also take a two or three Critical strikes but GWW is better for two handers than Improved Haste+Critical Strike.

If you want to dual wield (do NOT go sword and shield!) the Dagger of Venom is actually not a bad choice for the start but it is only +2 weapon and quickly becomes limited and in ToB almost useless.
    I would recommend Flail of the Ages/Foebane main hand (FotA is imo overall the best weapon in the game) + Defender of the Easthaven/Crom Fayer/Belm/Sword of Mask/ Eqalizer off.

oh, and you have Summon Fallen Deva HLA (I read some more about the kit myself lol) so take this also.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    Don't put any points in bow, but you should stock up on arrows of detonation... use the poison weapon ability with the arrows.
  • ArcanjoArcanjo Member Posts: 155
    edited October 2016
    Recommended Weapons (for InKal)

Two handed sword Bastard swords
    • Foebane (Main Hand; Best Weapon Game?)
    Flails & morning stars Warhammer Scimitars Short sword 1-handed Dagger Halberds Long Sword
    Post edited by Arcanjo on
    JuliusBorisov

Don't put any points in bow, but you should stock up on arrows of detonation... use the poison weapon ability with the arrows.

Info: Arrows of Detonation

I'll poison all who receive the impact or only the primary target?
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    Arcanjo said:

I haven't actually tried with arrows, but I tested a wizard slayer/mage dual class and the miscast ability applied itself to everyone around the target. The arrows and fire seeds are both similar in that they cover an area...
    semiticgoddess
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    It's less powerful after the poison rebalancing.

Honestly the spec's power mostly comes from its ability to lock down casters with poison, my solo BGEE run was a joke because you could just open up on one with a poisoned arrow and they were dead. The rest of the perks are nice but not game-breaking. It's basically no more powerful with FoA/Crom or whatever than any other warrior-type kit, the only difference is that it can't use Carsomyr or The Purifier like other Paladins.

I'd rank it as one of the best straight warrior kits, up there with Inquisitor and Berserker. There are quite a few multi or dual set-ups that put it to shame though. It's just a really solid kit if you don't want to go the multi/dual route.
    Arcanjo

Honestly the spec's power mostly comes from its ability to lock down casters with poison, my solo BGEE run was a joke because you could just open up on one with a poisoned arrow and they were dead. The rest of the perks are nice but not game-breaking. It's basically no more powerful with FoA/Crom or whatever than any other warrior-type kit, the only difference is that it can't use Carsomyr or The Purifier like other Paladins.

I'd rank it as one of the best straight warrior kits, up there with Inquisitor and Berserker. There are quite a few multi or dual set-ups that put it to shame though. It's just a really solid kit if you don't want to go the multi/dual route.

This rebalancing what changed?

This saying the warrior and the Blackguard has practically no more difference and not advantages, the use of said weapons (not quite understand this part of the explanation)?

Arcanjo said:

I haven't actually tried with arrows, but I tested a wizard slayer/mage dual class and the miscast ability applied itself to everyone around the target. The arrows and fire seeds are both similar in that they cover an area...
    I understood,
    there are other combos with "Poison Weapon"?
    edited October 2016
    More Info: Poison Weapon

Poison Weapon + ( Spell Harm Or Energy Blades ), work?
    Poison Weapon + ( Dart of Wounding or Asp's Nest), is good?

Bolt Poison Damage + Arrow Poison Damage
    It would be a good strategy to amplify the effect of the poison, and was effective in the game?
    Post edited by Arcanjo on

You Play with Blackguard (Solo)? Before or after the nerf poison Weapon?
    Thanks for the likes, but the doubt means that remained after the posts are old upgrades that have already passed, and refer to the Poison Weapon, before the fixed damage (No Save)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Arcanjo: I'm not sure I fully understand your phrasing (is English your first language?), but to answer the questions I think you're asking:

Poison Weapon works with the Harm Spell and ranged weapons like Energy Blades. The poison will strike right after Harm reduces the target's HP to 1, killing the target if it cannot resist either Harm or Poison Weapon. However, in EE 2.0, the poison from Poison Weapon can only strike a target once per round. If you hit somebody with 9 Energy Blades in 6 seconds after using Poison Weapon, your target will only get poisoned once.

Poison Weapon stacks with weapons that already deal poison damage normally. Thus, if you use Poison Weapon and throw a Dart of Wounding, the target will suffer both the Poison Weapon's damage (which depends on your level) and the Dart of Wounding's normal poison damage (20 damage in 20 seconds if the target fails a save vs. death).

Poison Weapon will affect any weapon, including ranged weapons, magically created weapons like Minute Meteors, and blunt weapons like clubs and staffs.
    gorgonzolaJuliusBorisov

Arcanjo said:

They say many functions like this have been disabled from the "Poison Weapon," for example, does not ignore "Stone Skin" Mirror ... (Apparently, it was the last texts written about it).

@Arcanjo: I'm not sure I fully understand your phrasing (is English your first language?), but to answer the questions I think you're asking:

Poison Weapon works with the Harm Spell and ranged weapons like Energy Blades. The poison will strike right after Harm reduces the target's HP to 1, killing the target if it cannot resist either Harm or Poison Weapon. However, in EE 2.0, the poison from Poison Weapon can only strike a target once per round. If you hit somebody with 9 Energy Blades in 6 seconds after using Poison Weapon, your target will only get poisoned once.

Poison Weapon stacks with weapons that already deal poison damage normally. Thus, if you use Poison Weapon and throw a Dart of Wounding, the target will suffer both the Poison Weapon's damage (which depends on your level) and the Dart of Wounding's normal poison damage (20 damage in 20 seconds if the target fails a save vs. death).

Poison Weapon will affect any weapon, including ranged weapons, magically created weapons like Minute Meteors, and blunt weapons like clubs and staffs.

I understand perfectly. what are the combos (Weapons and spells) more used to the blackguard, to better use the Poison Weapon and Aura?

Now the poison stack has only every 6 seconds (1 round). :(
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Arcanjo: In BG:EE, I would say longbows are still the best option. Although Poison Weapon is weaker because of the nerf, it will still apply to Arrows of Detonation and can therefore poison many enemies at once.

You may also choose darts, as they hit even faster than bows (3 attacks per round instead of 2) and you can spread the poison across multiple enemies, but since the poison is limited to once per round, you might stick with bows and a melee weapon of your choice.

Poison Weapon does not affect spells, though Haste will give you an extra attack per round, which can help you poison more enemies each round. Blackguards get the same spells as normal paladins.
    RelSundan
    Black Guard still good, gained buff and debuff? From 2016 until today has there been any change?
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    edited July 2018
    Edit: Nevermind.

Edit: Nevermind.

?
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I posted some stuff about the change to Poison Weapon, before realizing previous comments had already covered it.