Skip to content

Skeleton Lord

I don’t know from what mod this comes from. I’m currently played a playtroigh with mods that I originally didn’t want to install for being too difficult (forced by when installing Sandrah, which I kicked from my party out anyway).

But I found Skeleton Lords in parts of BG1 when I’m too weak for this monster. I’m in Cloackwood mines level 2 and I can’t get trough competing the dungeons without killing two of this. They are overpowerdul, I don’t know what to do. Also I can’t find the .cre in Eekeeper. Someone knows what to do?

Comments

• MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    Well this guys are tough in melee, but their highlight is really throwing lightening bolts. Two potion of insulation did it. They even cleared the room of bandits for me.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You could try looking up the name in Near Infinity, if EEKeeper isn't finding it. I've never had trouble finding the file with Near Infinity.

I don't know what mod the thing is from, but I've dealt with the critters before. I tried baiting them with summons, but since the Skeleton Lords cast so many Lightning Bolts, I ended up using the mod-introduced NPC Tenya to cast Storm Shield for immunity to electricity damage and then kiting the enemy to death, leading the Skeleton Lord around in a circle while the party gradually wore it down using missile weapons. I also saw the Skeleton Lords wipe out the other enemy humans due to spell damage.

A Protection from Undead scroll on a fighter should also let a low-level party defeat the Skeleton Lords.
    I read that Shade Lords are introduced with SCS, so maybe this one comes also in that mod.

Honestly, beating an enemy because you take the right inmmuniry is so less straight forward and less strategic. Is too Pokemon.
    Shade Lords? The only Shade Lord I know of is a unique vanilla enemy from BG2. SCS buffs that enemy, but you wouldn't be seeing it until you got to BG2.

Skeleton Lords definitely aren't from SCS; SCS very seldom pulls this kind of overpowered nonsense on the player. SCS is mostly an AI mod that only occasionally introduces new enemies or gives the enemy special new powers or abilities (and when it does, it's usually an SCS-style variant of an Ascension or Tactics component).
    edited July 2018
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/33512/ok-so-wth-shade-lord-scs

This is what I found. Although yes, SCS what it does is buffing it. I haven’t found any anything else in google about Skeleton Lords.

I faced also an impossible Zombie lord where you find the tome in the gnoll stronghold, but in that case, invisibility and running did it to get the book.
    @MonoCanalla: Impossible? You mean, it went invisible by phasing into a wall and then summoned ghasts infinitely? Because that's what happened to me--twice, in fact, because the same thing happened when I found a Zombie Lord in the catacombs beneath Candlekeep! Being the player I am, I used summoning spells and Fireballs to kill the ghasts to farm thousands of XP.

Say, have you fought Tristan and Isolde south of Beregost? If your install is similar to mine, one of them should drop a throwing dagger with 5 attacks per round and a scimitar or katana called Doufas' Saber, a +3 sword with +2 attacks per round that deals magic damage and paralysis on hit. They have pretty low HP despite their excellent offensive powers. You should be able to find them on the road at the south end of one of the maps (the road runs straight north to south on that map).

A lot of BG1 encounters that install with the normal BWS setup are crazy overpowered and offer equally overpowered loot. I don't know why, but a lot of modders apparently felt that BG1 needed BG2-grade enemies and items.
    edited July 2018
    I’m sure they want you to return to those maps while you are playing the BG2 section. Open world/Sandbox kind of thing. Personally I don’t like it. I hope my current install stays as vanilla as possible in the standard path, with no Dragon Lords defending the circus tent in Waukeen promenade. I’ve been restarting games three times right before Sarevok already for different reasons. No more.

The zombie lord in Gnoll Stronghold was impossible to defeat at my level. He was there with a buddy, it might have been a Shade Lord, it was very ghosty.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    It might be Dark Side of the Sword Coast that is causing this.
    I’m reading the readme for Dark Side of the Sword Coast. It adds new quests, the third one has a dragon, in BG1... Since my install is EET, I can come back later with the aprópiate level. I just don’t love that I have to take mod companions in order to do this quests, but is ok.

And yep, it adds new encounters in the BG1 map.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Basically what @DrakeICN said.
    Sandrah's Saga, DSotSC, Dark Horizons, Drizzt's saga etc... all add stupidly overpowered items and shower you with experience, and that allows you to hack through the main game, while giving you unfair fights if you don't have the aforementioned items. It is a selfish way of modding if you ask me, forcing people to do your content because it's the only part that will present any difficulty. I mean, last time I went through one of these mods, it was Drizzt's Saga, because I like the writing, but I dropped (well, actually sold, because greed) every single item I looted during the mod once I came back from it, and used the console to bring my experience down to what it was before going through the mod.
    I mean, what's the point in giving you a +2 APR scimitar with on hit magical damage and a +4 (yes yes +4 you read that) APR dagger just down the North Trade Way map in Beregost. Yeah, you're usually still level 1 when you get there, maybe level 2. And you loot weapons way stronger than what you get at the end of ToB? This is madness.
    These mods should take example on The Grey Clan, because it features tough but not impossible fights, along with strong but not stupidly gamebreaking (apart from that Halberd with dispel on hit which is far too strong for BG/SoD IMO, though even that is quite OK compared to the items I was talking about before).
    So if I do that, do you recommend playing Drizzt Saga? I was planning on dodging Regis and taking Drizzt to fight Sarevok.

But I do have a question about that mod (SPOILER, I guess?): I read somewhere that you can recruit Jarlaxe and Artemis Entreri at the end of the mod, if you are evil or something. Is that true? How evil? I don’t really have an evil party. Can the same thing happen in Reign of Terror?
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited July 2018
    From the stuff you guys mentioned I think the mod that is the worst offender here is Dark Horizons. And the red flag that triggered me to delete whole installation with it was this:

Say, have you fought Tristan and Isolde south of Beregost? If your install is similar to mine, one of them should drop a throwing dagger with 5 attacks per round and a scimitar or katana called Doufas' Saber, a +3 sword with +2 attacks per round that deals magic damage and paralysis on hit. They have pretty low HP despite their excellent offensive powers. You should be able to find them on the road at the south end of one of the maps (the road runs straight north to south on that map).
    yep, the best weapon in the entire saga (including BG2 and ToB) is available right after leaving Candlekeep in chapter 1. Those "extreme" encounters also sounds like something that could be added by this mod, based on its description.

It is a selfish way of modding if you ask me
    agreed
    Post edited by swit on