Skip to content

Best Names for CHARNAME

13»

Comments

• Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2018
    DrakeICN said:

For a bard, I chose the name Johann Gambolputty...de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

I call bollocks! That name is to long for the charname string entry block in the chaacter creation screen!

Edit: Also why would he have to von is his name? Was he born exactly of the border of two counties?

Second edit:... of Ulm. Sorry, border of three counties, one of which belongs to another country.
    Psst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzn0tIy3dzM

• EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    edited April 2018
    I've used online character name generators for ideas, but also have a few that I've used that were either partially inspired by individuals in history or European themed. A few samples that I've used are:

Godfrei de Telion: recently completed a saga run...Cavalier, did not choose divinity route.
    Hiram Wickshadow: I've recycled this one a few times, latest being an on hiatus sorcerer. Never finished a series with this name, though did get a conjuror of the same name to the beginning of TOB.
    Klaus Sveldegard: have used this in multiple games, always for a Cleric or Paladin of Tyr (Or Heironeous in TOEE). Never finished the series with it.
    Elves often have the last name Meliamne, an homage to my first PnP character of note (Hence the alias here). A bounty hunter elf with said last name made it to the middle stages of TOB.
    Dwarves: typically monosyllabic first names with something earthen at the end (In other words, stereotypically dwarven gruffness). Closest I've come to finishing the series with a Dwarf was with a char named Durim Runeheart (recycled from PW usage, and PnP) who made it to the Underdark before I started a Witcher series run that ran for over a year.

When I'm crafting a name, it depends on how committed I think I'll be to the character playthrough going all the way to Amelyssan. If I feel that restartitis is very likely to kick in at some point, the name generator route is most likely going to be what I use (I can't even begin to tell you have many times I've generated characters). My completion track record for TOB is NOT GOOD, considering I've been playing this series of games since my second PC. Sarevok has died a lot. Irenicus about a fifth of Sarevok's killings, and Amelyssan counted on one hand. In fact, I think I've beaten SOD more than I've gotten a PC all the way to the end of TOB. It's almost embarrasing really. Come to think of it, my completes have always involved a divine class of some variant: Cleric or Paladin.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Why? Just because it has "Black" in the name!? :p :sarcasm:
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @semiticgod I dunno, fifty shades of gray is pretty offensive. I'm surprised it doesn't censor itself when utterd.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
  • CashewCashew Member Posts: 13
    For females I like the names:

- Alia
    - Rio
    - Miya
    - Isabella
    - Koro

For males I like the names:

- Luthair
    - Carradoc
    - Arrak
    - Paerd

When I was younger I used to give them last names as well, but I found it really annoying to see the full name repeated all the time, so now I only give them last names in their bios, not in the actual name. And those last names are generally based on how they look e.g. black hair might mean I'll give them the last name Ravenlocke. Red hair and white skin might get them the name Pearmain etc
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Cashew said:

When I was younger I used to give them last names as well, but I found it really annoying to see the full name repeated all the time, so now I only give them last names in their bios

I used to do the same thing! Most common last name: Gorionson (I can be lazy sometimes)
    According to various internet pages, there are some easter egg names. Supposedly, if you have a low reputation and name your character Drizzt and your race is elf, you get a special bit of conversation when you meet Drizzt in BGII. So, if you can't think of a name, pick an easter egg name, for that one slightly different dialogue!
    Sorry for necromancing this thread, but I randomly came upon this vid on youtube;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH8bwvC17eQ

Thought I should share!
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I think I'll just name my next character Derek Nippl-E
    https://youtu.be/nLKccAtz26I
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited September 2018
    Currently running a Half-elven Female FMT in BG2 with a name I get a kick out of when dialogue texts post:

Tamzin A. Marlowe, LLD.

Have also enjoyed characters with names:

Chancellor Smith II
    Gabrielle de Marseilles
    James O'Carolan
    Gorlac Dobrynyi
    Siondha Berethiel
    Major Thurston
    Inyuri Taigo
    Tanya Tupperware
    Alderan ap Undomiel
    Post edited by Eadwyn_G8keeper on