Skip to content

What fighter-mage combination do you like best?

borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
I wonder what kind of fighter/mage class combinations are the most popular. I hear a lot about kensai/mages, but personally I found Berserker/Mage the most potent (if cheesy) dual option. Berserker rage is like a spell immunity:everything that can't be dispelled. :blush:

And if you really need super high Thac0 for a particular fight, you can activate Tenser's Transformation (love that spell - 250+ HP is such a sight).

But enough about me, what is your opinion?
  1. What fighter-mage combination do you like best?82 votes
    1. Kensai > Mage dual
      12.20%
    2. Berserker > Mage dual
      13.41%
    3. Fighter / Mage multi
      32.93%
    4. Fighter / Mage / Thief multi
      19.51%
    5. none, too cheesy for me
        9.76%
    6. something else
      12.20%

Comments

• MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    What, no FMC? FMC is great fighter and tank with ability to cast blur, skins, images, pfmw etc. and minor sequencer on chant/bless and other cool cleric combos with contigency/sequencer spells.

But personally I use all of above with exception of Berserker>Mage dual.

I typically use
    • Kensai 13 -> Mage (lower dual doesn't make sense honestly)
    • Fighter/Illusionist -> best FM multi
    • FMT -> Great all around since you need thief anyway, powerfull assassination late gate, 100% detect illusion for SCS
    • FMC -> as above
    Overall Wizard Slayer 9 -> Mage is pretty cool too (maybe bit weird role play wise) but if I go WS dual I usually prefer go Druid for sick anti-caster character in SCS.
    borntodietbone1gorgonzola
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Sorry for omitting FMC, unfortunately it seems I can't add more poll options retroactively.
  • Durmir46Durmir46 Member Posts: 110
    To be honest it depends.

If you intend to use a speed weapon as off-hand, berserker->mage might have your preference, for a dual at lvl9. You won't miss out much the damage and THAC0 of the Kensai, instead of which you'll have an extremely useful rage ability, and you can dual sooner, making the process a lot easier.

That's for dual.
    Now I have just finished a playthrough with a Kensai (13) -> Thief. And while he was insanely powerful (probably one of my most OP character so far), I believe I would have done better in multi. The main reason why is HLA. I ended up with many more traps than I would ever require, many great evasions etc. Instead I could have taken some damage resist, GWW (although you obviously won't need that one), and other F goodies. This will be even more important for a F/M as there is only a very limited amount of mage HLAs.

A multi gnome I/F will give you a mage spec (you'll miss out skull trap and abi-dalzim, but you'll have +1 spell per day per level; considering as a F/M you should not need these necro spells, more buffs for you is definitely awesome) and both HLAs. You will still pick all mages HLAs, plus fighter goodies. Also, shorty saves and a +1 intel will come extra handy. Considering the buffs you will have access to, the loss of grandmastery should not impact much. Especially since your natural THAC0 will exceed the one of a dual (even a 13 Kensai) pretty quickly. Also, no down time to catch up with your first class (trust me it counts...), and you'll kick ass as soon as lvl1.

In any case, as a fighter you will be an absolute monster no matter what you pick.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Fighter/Illusionist. Playing one currently, love it :)
    Durmir46tbone1
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    I have tweaks Anthology installed which lets me dual class Barbarian > Mage, it's hella fun, the rage doesn't protect Vs Imprisonment, but free damage reduction, immune to backstab, +2 base movement speed, d12 HP's from 1-9th, can use all fighter gear except for plate mail (basically means you spend 50% of the game 1-4 AC worse than a fighter, until White/shadow Dragon scales can be crafted then you're mostly on par. I also love that there's no winded debuff after raging plus it buffs your Str and Con, so in a pinch you can force some doors/chests or get some additional regen for a few rounds, even if not in combat. Being limited to specialization only is somewhat annoying, but encounters with backstabbing thieves are sooooo much easier.

I usually pick elf because they get a natural chance to detect secret doors that is way, way higher than the other races, something which can be annoying as a solo non-thief.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The good and old Bladesinger.
    Durmir46
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I've EEkeepered a Kensai/Mage multiclass once. That was ridiculous.
    Borek
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    hit level 9 with kensai dual over to mage, stay at level 5 until it hits the 250 000 XP mark, so then i don't have to waste the level 6 proficiency point, and at 500 000 XP i have a wizerd with 5 proficiency points in dagger ready to do some serious damage with boomerang/firetooth after annihilating enemies with spells

good times
    Rik_Kirtaniyagorgonzola[Deleted User]Lammas
  • hoi_Grhoi_Gr Member Posts: 11
    It is pretty conclusive that Berserker > Mage is the best dual in the game. The full immunity of Enrage just trumps any bonuses the Kensai has to offer. Dualing at 9 or 13 is based on preference and your acceptance of downtime but won't have any major impact in the end game statistics. If you are playing with 1-3 companions lvl 13 is preferable.

However the best CLASS in the whole game has to be Gnome Fighter/Illusionist. Sure you lvl up a bit slower and lose the masteries but +1 spell/lvl and fighter HLAS are just too good.

F/M/T is insane but you have to be playing solo or with 1 companion to actually make sense. The thief HLAs are OP.
  • ArchGhostArchGhost Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2018
    Fighter/Illusionist. I prefer all multi-class mages to be Gnome Illusionists for the extra slot per level and the better saves.

That said Berserker/Mage is definitely the way to go if you want a dual, and the only bad point it has is its THAC0 stops at 7 base when you dual it at 13. it craps all over K/M because people seem to forget B/Ms can still wear gear the Kensai can't that makes them exceed both the AC and Hit/Dmg boni when under Berserk. Berserk is overall more useful than Kai when you don't have HLAs anyway.
    [Deleted User]
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited August 2018
    All of the fighter/mage combinations in the poll are super-strong and you won't go wrong with any of them. That said, I think the multiclass options are somewhat better than the rest because they can access fighter HLAs which provide some of the best offensive and defensive boosts in the game. The unparalleled versatility of FMT gives him a slight edge in my view, especially at high levels when he can access thief HLAs, though gnome fighter/illusionists have more spell slots a well as at least a slim chance to receive 9th level spells before the game is over.

The main benefit to dual-classing is that you actually receive 9th level spells early enough to use them for a significant chunk of the game. However, I'm not sure the choice of berserker or kensai is necessarily all that clear-cut for those who want to go this route. While it's true that kensai/mages suffer more than you might expect from the kensai item restrictions, the ability to cast spell immunity makes the berserker's rage ability less useful than it would be for, say, a kensai/thief.
    Post edited by jsaving on
    ThacoBell
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • FylFyl Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2018
    An FMT in SOA isnt a mage and kinda disappoints as a mage... but is a nice utility character. And all that changes in TOB.

But then the only two options for a real mage in SOA are Edwin or a Sorcerer
  • warwizardwarwizard Member Posts: 11
    Fighter-mage multiclass always was my favorit way to play bg2tob. Its just the most fun way to play, to get so buffed up and get so strong and survive so much attacks.
    I dont max that potential via fighter/illusionist though.

I just go with elven fighter mage combo. Elve for the higher dexterity. And i like using two swords. Gets so strong later and is very sturdy in all stages of the game. Its so versatile and you have so many tools availalbe with all the spell combos.
    Gusinda
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I never use dual-class. It mostly has no sense roleplaying-wise. Hence, multi combinations are way to go for me.
    ThacoBellBelgarathMTH
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited September 2018
    I always find it odd how a lot of people seem to put too much stock in what works in paper, instead of what works while you actually play the game. As far as I'm concerned XP is, by far, the most precious stat in BG2 and the combination here that gives you the most of that (and in the most simple/elegant ways) is the FMT.
    It's an automatic win, in my opinion.
    Post edited by Nuin on
    GusindaThacoBellGotural
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    From what I have played multi is the most powerful by the end. Probably f/m/t, seriously the traps are that powerful even if you limit each trap to one. F/m is probably a close second and then f/m/c, though harm>sunfire for f/m/c is more than a little fun.

I don’t know, is there a bad combo at all? I have done a level 11 vanilla mage dualed to fighter that had no problem with the game.

I play clerics more than anything else, even in PnP though I have made new groups unhappy many times because I play clerics more aggressively and less healy than they were expecting. I would chose f/m/c, there is nothing it cannot handle but that could be said of any combination right? F/m/c was not an option though and thief is my second favorite class so I chose that. Dual I would chose beserker>mage because wow! From a no reload standpoint it is just amazing.

I'm having a hard time imagining a Berserker becoming a Mage. First pursuit a career in which you learn to whip up your anger, than make a 180 degrees turn to a career that needs you to study books and master magic with meticulous concentration. How do you roleplay that?

I did wanted to comment on this. One of my best friends is high functioning autistic, she can fly into a rage without warning though she manages it to the average person observing her. She also writes and speaks flawlessly 4 languages and is fluent in 8 more. I have never met anyone that can learn anything so quickly or completely and she is always on a fuse waiting to explode. She has one friend and her mother she can be that miserable but yet she is well paid and highly sought after all over the world. Would she not be a potential berserker>mage?
    BelgarathMTHsemiticgoddessGotural
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I don't know that "always on a fuse waiting to explode" necessarily describes a berserker.

Plenty of people are angry. Berserkers have learned a mental discipline. They can whip themselves into a frenzy on command, but they are ultimately in control.

In that sense I think the berserker has more overlap with the mage than people give them credit for. It's just learning to use your mind in different ways.
    BelgarathMTH
    I would have thought that that a berserker would be the antithesis of one in control.

No lie, she has gone through an average of six phones and 2 laptops per year in the last four years and her laptops are just incredibly durable. Just a thought as she is Mensa smart and phenomenally volatile.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    @Son of Imoen. That's a fair point. Imo, well from a roleplaying pov, honestly any f/m multi or dual class smacks of munchkinnery. I did add "none, too cheesy for me" for a reason.

That said, the rules allow it and it can still be fun to play with.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited September 2018

I'm having a hard time imagining a Berserker becoming a Mage. First pursuit a career in which you learn to whip up your anger, than make a 180 degrees turn to a career that needs you to study books and master magic with meticulous concentration. How do you roleplay that?

Think "Gordon Ramsay on day release."
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited September 2018

I did wanted to comment on this. One of my best friends is high functioning autistic, she can fly into a rage without warning though she manages it to the average person observing her. She also writes and speaks flawlessly 4 languages and is fluent in 8 more. I have never met anyone that can learn anything so quickly or completely and she is always on a fuse waiting to explode. She has one friend and her mother she can be that miserable but yet she is well paid and highly sought after all over the world. Would she not be a potential berserker>mage?

*off-topic: your example shows just how broad the autistic spectrum is. I have being allowed into Mensa in common with your friend, but I never get angry (well, not at people, when I was younger I used to wreck my wardrobe doors with my fists as I got angry at the injustices of the world) and instead of being high-paid, I live on a benefit as I can't deal with the stress of a paid job and have just the energy for 7 hours a week of volunteers work.

A true saying I met in an anti-stigma campaign: "if you've met an autistic, you have met one autistic".

ThacoBellMirandelMichelle
  • thruddthrudd Member Posts: 96
    Barbarian/Mage Bahhhh , Barbarians are Afraid of Magic Should and Cannot be Mages!!!!! And Bahh to Multi Classes !!!! Go Single class Old School and just Destroy stuff..... :)
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited September 2018
    I prefer the F/M multi over the kit duals but FMT is closer to the F/T (my favorite class) so FMT would be my choice. On the surface the kit duals look like they are ultra powerful and all of their drawbacks are countered when you dual over but in truth they end up about the same as a multi class and have less HLA's. Not to mention they are a pain to dual and especially the Kensai is just plain boring in BG1. Pretty much just stands there throwing daggers the whole game. Even if you dual late at level 13 you will stop progressing with your fighter THAC0 at 8 while your grandmastery and kit bonuses will pretty much make up for it so that you are at normal FM multi levels of power at the end of the game. The Berzerker gets the protection benifits a few times a day and the Kensai gets the extra Kai damage while the multi gets the extra HLA's. The multi is more of a joy to play throughout the game in my opinion and ends up the most powerful in the end. The berserker is the strongest at the beginning.

Kensai mage is over hyped in my book. They are weak in BG1 and then you have to dual so they are weak in BG2 and when all is said and done they have the same THAC0 and APR as the other options leaving only Kai and about 7 extra damage to standout while the FM multi is pushing Critical strike with the same APR, THAC0 and without the hassle of dual classing and being weak the entire game.

The FMT can use UAI to actually hit with a +3 off hand speed weapon so he has a full functioning 10APR with improved haste and the benefit of X5 backstabs, 7X timestop traps, spike traps, assassination and all fighter HLA's like Critical strike and hardiness while gaining all of the magical protections and extra casting spells from the mage class. No level 9 spells is a draw back but as a melee basher the FMT is way more powerful especially if you use mislead so that you can X5 backstab without hiding 8X times a round with 2x critical strike damage on top. Just plain crazy OP. UAI also allows for special weapons and items that will give the FMT superior armor class to that of a pure class fighter even and then has the added magical protections on top.

When I played at lower difficulty levels I felt that the FT's superior fighting ability was enough to plow through anything without the need for more powerful armor or magical protection. Now that LOB mode is part of the official game rules and I regularly use SCS for further challenge, I now agree with those that think the FMT is the ultimate warrior.
    Post edited by the_sextein on
    ThacoBellgorgonzolaGotural
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    You forgot Wizard Slayer/Mage :blush:

But seriously, advancement in a 6 member party for FMT is too slow, and the others reek of old cheese :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Dharius said:

You forgot Wizard Slayer/Mage :blush:

But seriously, advancement in a 6 member party for FMT is too slow, and the others reek of old cheese :)

I never understood this thinking. Slow how? Your levels for individual classes aren't as high, but you level up MANY more times times than any combination of fewer classes.
    Gotural
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited September 2018
    The FMT is two levels lower than a single class character for most of the game but has 3 classes that are all leveling at the same time so you level up a lot. Once a warrior hits level 20 it no longer matters how far ahead in levels he gets because he doesn't gain anything at those levels. The biggest draw back to a FMT in my opinion is that with no grandmastery and no kit plus being two fighter levels behind a single class warrior, their THAC0 falls behind at about the mid point of SOA. If you pick up Crom Frayer when you return from the underdark it will push your strength up so high that your THAC0 will be fine.

In TOB the FMT reaches level 18 fighter class which has a base THAC0 of 3 combined with CF and he has -12 main hand and -11 off hand with 10APR and massive strength bonus damage. Since his APR is natural 10 you can enable critical strike for 10APR double damage and cast mislead for 10APR X5 BackstabX2 critical strike. Massive damage that truly helps in LOB mode. You can set up to 7X timestop traps and the enemy is helpless while you just destroy the entire battle field. For major backstabs I will switch from CF to Spectral Brand and drink a potion that pushes strength to 24.

On my last run my FMT had a -15 Armor class that could not be dispelled because it was achieved with items thanks to UAI. It could be pushed to -18 with the blur spell. With Greater evasion he could hit -24 Armor Class levels and with Improved invisibility it gave him a -28 Armor Class. Throw on stoneskins and mirror images on top with spell immunities and mislead plus the ability to cast protection from magical weapons and hardiness HLA 40% damage resistance.... Totally unstoppable.

I used the FMT in a six person party with zero cheating my last run of the game on the hardest settings available and it worked out surprisingly good. It does progress slower than a normal multi but the pay off is so worth it on LOB mode during TOB.
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrGotural