Skip to content

Petition: Optional Old Cinematics.

Comments

• Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Continued #3
    4) Cont. (The game says in the dialogue box: paused for loading movie; and then it is not possible to un-pause the game.) It freezes before the FAI main gate / bridge too. (Too much time to loose, because we must go out from the Town, and this is always risky too: every time you sleep outdoors there is a chance for monsters appearing. It can take an hour of gameplay just to try to sleep and try to sleep again until the HPs and Spells regained. And that’s sad, because all we wanted from this game was to play Multiplayer with each other.
    So our Wish is:
    A) Please make the old movies available again in-game. This would allow us to watch them on the old computer too. This would let us play the game without freezing and constant reloading.
    Please let us choose at the beginning of the game which set to watch in-game.
    B) Please unlock the old movies as you unlock the new ones during the game, then we could skip the new ones and watch the older ones after it. Please place the old movies in the Movies section of the Main Game Menu, where the others reside now too.
    C) I posted my Idea here before: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7199/please-make-old-movies-available-again#latest
    You could create City Info Page / Castle Info Page / Mission Briefing Pages, etc. After or before a movie starts this Page is displaying. You could use unused Art or the unused Loading Screens for creating them. Put some information about the place / mission / or any other movie theme, and make a small window on this page. So we could watch the old movies in this small window: the resolution and the enjoyment will be fine this way. (You could connect this Pages to Buildings too, for example to the FAI main gate, or at the City Gate, etc. so we can check them later too.)
    Thanks for reading this. Bye
  • ServiusTheBearServiusTheBear Member Posts: 24
    I have to say I would like to see the old cinematic's back. Especially at the intro movie at the start. It seems to lack what it did back in the day.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    No - waste of time and resources that could be put to better use - don't see any point to it myself but if enough people are interested it sounds like something better suited to a 3rd party mod

I also think people need to understand that it's just not necessary to make every little nuance of the game a toggle switch option either!
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    The new ones are fine but got to admit miss the original intro.Absolutely classic i feel.
  • yastruyastru Member Posts: 5
    i like this ones, and i feel time spent on animations would be better spent working on ingame issues but i wont vote no cause well.. lot of people seem to disagree and if it makes or breaks the game for them, please implement them.
    just.. no hurry, there are much more important issues to be solved first, i hope everyone is ok with that point.
  • MoongrassMoongrass Member Posts: 4
    The main problem with the new intro is that the totally unnecessary removal of that one particular line of dialogue means that the whole thing now tells you nothing at all about the game; it's impossible to tell whether the scene is supposed to be meaningful and relevant to the upcoming story, just a random "slice of life" in the Realms to draw in players, or if it is actually revealing that the "Big Bad" is just some random jerk who wanders about throwing people off rooftops for no fathomable reason.

I suspect that this kind of needless, borderline malicious butchery is also a large part of why the developers were told to keep their mitts off almost all the existing content, for fear that they'd make even more changes like this, ones that could be considered objectively harmful to the narrative.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Weren't the old movies 640X480? To have them running on a game engine set to a modern resolution it would either be fullscreen and look terrible or boxed and be tiny.

I do wish the new CHARNAME's death video could go on a little longer but that's about it.

Weren't the old movies 640X480? To have them running on a game engine set to a modern resolution it would either be fullscreen and look terrible or boxed and be tiny.

I do wish the new CHARNAME's death video could go on a little longer but that's about it.

You could run them in a smaller window on an Info Page, or on an unused Loading Page.
    I wish there were a female hand too, nut just the male one.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    edited December 2012
    We dont ask for a HD remake, we simply want the old cinematics as extra and activate them or not in the game. it's not a waste of time
    Isn't too much time either. They have to convert the old ones to the new format and place it into the game folder. The game already is waiting for this movies, that's why all this freezes occur in Multiplayer games.
  • AdanuAdanu Member Posts: 37
    No. Their times hould be spent on actual bugs, not preferential crap like this.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    This poll is terribly skewed to make it seem as if more people want the old cinematics as an option, as there's little incentive to vote if you don't (your goals are already met) vs. if you do (you need to express your opinion, more likely to vote). Anyway, I don't want this. I loved the old cinematics. They were nothing special I suppose, but I had become quite attached to them over the years.

The truth is, though, that they are horribly outdated at this point. They have aged poorly and will continue to do so. The new cinematics have a better chance of aging well, and they're not half bad. There's not much point to wasting time and resources putting the old ones back in, even as just an option.

Also, BG was never about the cutscenes. As some others have mentioned on similar issues, BG is a very long game and the cinematics amount to a few minutes at most. It may seem that they were important to the experience, but it's more likely that it was the great experience of Baldur's Gate that made them seem important; as these new ones, too, will someday seem to you and countless others.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Modders will do that for us.

Indeed they should correct the 600 bugs before wroking on it, so maybe in 2016... -_-

I'm not sure that people understand that we really dont care about the resolution of these videos...
    For me it is not so easy, as for you guys. The new ones are just not running on my wife's computer, it is very laggy. So besides that we loved the old ones much more, it is "needed" for us to have them back again.
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    There are some of the old cinematics I like (Campfire and Bandit camp among them) but I do think the player should have choice in the matter.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I won't miss the old ones if only because i was sure(though i can't find it now) that the old ones just didn't work well with the EE changes due to their age. If the old ones did work well in the EE version, don't you think the team would have done so instead of going through all the trouble of making new ones? If i decide i miss the old ones, i'll just install my original discs on my older puter and play vanilla on it.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2012
    Yes for the 1st video (the intro) and the latest (after Sarevok's death).

No for the others video....
    Post edited by Kerozevok on
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    edited December 2012
    jaysl659 said:

This poll is terribly skewed to make it seem as if more people want the old cinematics as an option, as there's little incentive to vote if you don't (your goals are already met) vs. if you do (you need to express your opinion, more likely to vote).

I'm not sure what you mean. The incentive to vote is in the fact there's an "Yes" and a "No". It didn't stop you and many others from voting. Just because your goals are already met, doesn't mean you won't feel a need to express your opinion against something that could change those goals. That's incentive enough. Isn't it?

I didn't try to make this pool skewed. And I'm sad and slightly rattled you feel that way. In fact, everyone here has been voting and expressing their opinions on their personal votes in a much civilized manner. No hot debate or people expressing negative opinions of others choices have happened so far. I'm quite pleased.
    edited December 2012
    http://youtu.be/8Kmmggc6jH8

To those that miss the old intro. Note not my recording. This will always be better than the new intro.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Keep the dream alive lol.
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    I'd simply like that they add the missing ones.
    If that's not possible than optional old style movies would definitely be nice.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Where is the option for more new cut scenes... I want views of the Dryad waterfall, a sweeping shot of the Gnoll fortress... More new movies please.

(I'll take the old ones if time to make new ones is not available)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I think they should add an option to watch the old cinematics from the main menu, which will be unlocked as you advance in the game (it can be nice feature specially for new players ), but not to integrate them in-game. That way you keep the nostalgia,new cinematics - and consistency

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited December 2012
    @mch202 Me like your post... Would you want more movies?

I want more movies... Movies are like cookies for eyes...
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Anduin said:

@mch202 Me like your post... Would you want more movies?

I want more movies... Movies are like cookies for eyes...

Thanks, I loved the cutscenes in BG1, though they have no importance, they are certainly add to the atmosphere of the game.. So yes I would like more movies, specially the gnoll stronghold.

• Tie_FighterTie_Fighter Member Posts: 41
    Some of the new ones I like quite a lot, like Friendly Arm Inn...but then, some I quite dislike, like the bandit camp. That is just the strangest cutscene...
    mch202 said:

I think they should add an option to watch the old cinematics from the main menu, which will be unlocked as you advance in the game (it can be nice feature specially for new players ), but not to integrate them in-game. That way you keep the nostalgia,new cinematics - and consistency

I think they should be there and integrated. You just switch to the old ones on the menu screen.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Adanu said:

No. Their times hould be spent on actual bugs, not preferential crap like this.

It's not preferential crap. It's a promise from Beamdog that ALL cinematics would be enhanced. They haven't enhanced most of the cinematics so there should be an option for people like me to see them back in the game. Remember, Beamdog sold this game on things like ALL cinematics would be enhanced. Clearly, it's far from enhanced when original content is cut and not replaced.