Skip to content

A Simple XP cap remover. Now compatible with Siege of Dragonspear!

Comments

• NaTioNNaTioN Member Posts: 4
    Have a group of 6 players that are having alot of issues with the game since installing this mod. We're all using the version from Steam. After installing this mod, we have many bugs, crashes, and errors. Once we remove it, the game works smoothely again. The mod is in the right spot, as evidenced by the conflicts created when we have it, and the lack thereof when it is removed.

Please let us know when you have a version that works with Steam.
  • TKay42OneTKay42One Member Posts: 1
    NaTioN said:

Have a group of 6 players that are having alot of issues with the game since installing this mod.

{member of said group}

Issues such as:

gamecrash after character creation (or selection of pre-gen)... possible crash-at-save

at times, I'm unable to scroll south with the cursor. southeast/southwest are fine.

... and then we moved the folder, cause, ya know, I don't like things messing around with my gate time... naw mean?
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited December 2013
    It works on steam version 1.2 for sure, I'm using it right now.

It's just a change to some numbers in some data files that the game already uses. It shouldn't cause crashes if installed correctly. No executable modifications, no additions or removals from data etc..

If it's installed in the right place, you should have:

**path to SteamApps**\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\override\STARTARE.2DA
    **path to SteamApps**\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\override\STARTBP.2DA
    **path to SteamApps**\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\override\XPCAP.2DA

Where path to SteamApps depends on where you installed your steam library. (default is a sub directory in the Steam folder)

The "at times I'm unable to scroll south with the cursor" is a known bug in v1.2 and unrelated to the mod.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    None of the bugs are related to the mod. It just changes 3 xp tables so the critical game files that could cause such crashes are not touched at all. If your group has characters in high levels you may facetrouble as BG has no HLA data but that is explained in the OP.

BTW @Feydark's explanation is absolutely correct.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    mlnevese said:

None of the bugs are related to the mod. It just changes 3 xp tables so the critical game files that could cause such crashes are not touched at all. If your group has characters in high levels you may facetrouble as BG has no HLA data but that is explained in the OP.

Unless you mess with the STARTARE.2DA, so you start in other area and with other amount of XP (hey, t'was cool to start in the Temple of Bhaal with 90 Million XP).
    Hmmm I hadn't considered they could be using my modfied BGEE files in a BG2EE game. That would throw them somewhere in TOB I think.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @mlnevese that should be the trouble I think, since they work 100% OK in BG:EE.
    Also, it throw them to forest where Coran is in BG2, and there is no need of this mod in BG2:EE :P.
    edited December 2013
    thats definitely the path we have it in. several of us cant even start new singleplayer games now. the game crashes after character completion at the first autosave. but once we remove the mod, theres no such problems- thats too much coincidence for me.

the fact that its happen to more than two of us makes it more suspect. it seems like alot of the issues were experiencing are known issues but its too much that they are all now all occuring when we have the mod on and seemingly dont occur without it...

were trying to use the mod in BG1:EE in a new game created after we installed the mod.
    Post edited by NaTioN on
    going to make sure everyone who is using ATI-AMD has the latest drivers... let you know what happens from there
    yeah none of the people who are having problems have ati-amd chipsets. both are running intel HD graphics on a laptop...
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Has BaldursGate1 EE an experience cap in place?
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    @Yamcha Yes, that's what this thread is for. It's a couple of files that remove the xp cap for BG1:EE.
  • blainedeyoungblainedeyoung Member Posts: 13
    mlnevese thanks man!
  • JrminksterJrminkster Member Posts: 1
    does this work with tablet versions as well?
    @Jrminkster‌ In mobile versions of BGEE yes. BG2EE requires different files.
  • FlozemFlozem Member Posts: 9
    Works on android too. Just add the override folder and 2da's from this thread.
  • vlad4573vlad4573 Member Posts: 1
    actually remove the restriction on the android?
  • aficionadoaficionado Member Posts: 8
    It worked fine on my BGIIEE for MacOS. But I've faced another problem. I've reached with my mages 40 levels and after that the new level-up brought them to a -2 or -1 level and no "next level" experience indicated. The mage after that final "level-up" lost all their ability to cast! No slots in magical book to choose!
    Is it an issue or it's just a game cup for mages?
    I belive all enemy mages in the game are much higher than 40 level, taking into account they speed of spells and defense and so on, and that having dealt with one mage with my whole strong group of 6 I have to loose couple of my mates to defeat just one mage!
    Level 40 is the limit for all classes. There are mods out there that raise the limit to level 50 though.
  • aficionadoaficionado Member Posts: 8
    Could you please share a link? I couldn't find it or may be they are not for MacOS?
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Greatly appreciated. Are we able to get a version for BG2ee? Thank you!
  • SticaStica Member Posts: 15
    So what exactly do I change the values in the files to? The -1 ones into lets say 400,000 for that to be the new cap for everything? Im using the Android version and im kinda confused how to set this up and I cant exactly test it to see if it worked since I haven't hit the level cap yet
    @Stica‌ The cap will be whatever value you set the file. -1 yurns off the cap. It's explained in the OP.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited August 2014
    I can't seem to locate the BG2 level cap remover. I understand it is identical except for the starting areas.

Nevermind - found it. searching in google is more productive than the forum search feature...
    Post edited by moody_mage on
    The simple xp cap remover is compatible with any version.
  • Zirus_BlackheartZirus_Blackheart Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2014
    "The game has all the tables up to level 40 BUT there are no HLAs (High Level Abilities) present. That means that if somehow you reach a level where you'd normally get an HLA you have to hit ENTER on the character screen to skip that."

So the game will pop-up they we get a new HLA when we lvl but we wont acutally get it?
    how do we go about adding them in etc?
    edited December 2014
    ah smeg! its a .exe file and im on a mac! :'-(
    Post edited by Zirus_Blackheart on
    edited December 2014