Skip to content

Android release date

Comments

• HemiHemi Member Posts: 8
    its gonna be the first game optimised for nexus 10 =) glad that i own one
  • fooflamfinnfooflamfinn Member Posts: 18
    No offense to red-headed stepchildren, but I'm really hating the treatment Android gets compared to other OS. Yes, I know there are reasons why...but the funny thing is I guess this is how Mac users felt when a lot of RPG games back in the day came out for PC first, and THEN Mac way later. :P

Still, how come the only info we seem to get from the game about the Android version is via Twitter, and then only when someone asks? It would be nice to get the occasional "we're still working it hard folks, we haven't forgotten about you."
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    Hemi said:

its gonna be the first game optimised for nexus 10 =) glad that i own one

Not sure how you get Nexus 10 optimization out of that tweet... unless there's something I'm missing.

I guess the silver lining in Trent's tweet is the EE release wont be limited to Tegra only devices.
  • Gamalin666Gamalin666 Member Posts: 4
    Well I guess that the lack of news in comparison to the Apple is that they had to rewrite a lot of the engine but still :O(
    I only hope that they are able to sort it so that it works on the N7 cause else Boo the Hamster is not going to be happy!
  • daerragh1daerragh1 Member Posts: 8
    I hope it will work on Galaxy Note.
  • OresiasOresias Member Posts: 8
    I also wait for the Android version of the game for my Nexus 7.
    I don't care of Windows Version as I have the original game and the improvements of BGEE do not make a big difference.
  • Gamalin666Gamalin666 Member Posts: 4
    Oresias said:

I don't care of Windows Version as I have the original game and the improvements of BGEE do not make a big difference.

Well said, it is not really that it has been enhanced but the fact I can play this and hopefully No2 where ever i am.
    The tablets are great they just lack the affect of a full blown rpg (yes i know there are ports of GTA etc) this may open up so many door for Android!
    Final Fantasy started the ball rolling (as in releasing date) but this will kick the ball to the other side of the pitch :O)
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Oresias said:

Same here.

I've played the EE on PC and i don't feel it warrants the price tag when it's basically just a few new characters and a compilation of mods. I had a perfectly good TUTU installation that did the same for free.

However i would be happy to pay for the tablet version, because portable bg = win.

(i know it's already possible with GemRB but meh)

• AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Hmm, now that mac version is finally in the appstore android is finally getting the love (hopefully). I also have the win version and with the android version I will be very happy indeed ^^ I dont understand how you can scoff at the win bgee version, theres no going back for me, even with tutu. But to each his own I guess =)
  • MatthewMatthew Member Posts: 21
    Also agree, it is having a tablet version of the game that is my interest.
  • YenooRYenooR Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 3
    Hope this is out before Easter.
    Huzzah!
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57

Android is now our top priority. Even with multiple game devs. and publishers telling us Android is a bad idea, we're making this happen.
    -Trent

I am so glad that this will be out soon, I check the forums so often to see if there is any news, I even made a twitter account just to follow you to catch the news updates.

Dont listen to the publishers/devs what do they know, Android needs a few killer Apps, and I know quite a few of my friends will be buying it. All but 1 are on Droid, the odd one out is a very happy boy already completed it on his iPad, still we cant wait for cross platform multi-player to happen.

• paco3791paco3791 Member Posts: 1
    gotta say I pretty much purchased a Nexus 7 just to play this game. Blessed nostalgia can't come soon enough!

Android is now our top priority. Even with multiple game devs. and publishers telling us Android is a bad idea, we're making this happen.
    -Trent

Those devs/publisher's sound lazy.

Good on you and the team for making it happen. Androids numbers are only trending up and up... To my completely biased opinion, it would seem to be a no brainer.
  • matthileomatthileo Member Posts: 59
    etotheo said:

-Trent

Those devs/publisher's sound lazy.
    That's always been my impression as well. Hell, some projections show Android tablets overtaking the iPad this year. And the biggest thing keeping people from choosing android over iOS when it comes to tablets isn't cost, or usability, or form or function -- it's availability of apps.
    etotheo said:

Good on you and the team for making it happen. Androids numbers are only trending up and up... To my completely biased opinion, it would seem to be a no brainer.

Definitely! Glad to see that Android isn't getting left behind here.

Keep up the good work guys!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...same here as lots of other posters (patiently waiting)
    Got BG1+2+Tutu and had little intention to buy the Windows version (I might...later...), but BGEE on a tablet = WIN!

I don't know how exactly is it with the tablet diversity and if it is possible that my current tablet would be unusable, but in case that happens...I am so buying a Nexus 10. Now let me find an excuse for my wife for buying yet another gizmo...
  • CalibraeCalibrae Member Posts: 2
    Android is seen as a bad idea for a very simple reason. monetization. Android is something like 60% of the smart devices out there, but iOS is still the real goldmine.
    Android users like to tinker with theirs devices, but dislike having to pay for an app.
    Still, you're targeting a very specific market, Infinity engine (insert random superlatives here) fans. And I'm pretty sure you'll get your money worth on Android as much as you have on iOS.
  • o2mikeo2mike Member Posts: 5

The tablets are great they just lack the affect of a full blown rpg

Psssst... Avadon The Black Fortress.
    Check it out!
    @Calibrae
    I hear people say that all the time, but I still do not fully understand it. I mean there are several expensive and old-school apps which have sold well over 100.000 (check google play). FF3 among them, that is an ooold and clunky game, which costs *over* 10 $.

Frankly, I think if there is quality merchandise out there, people will buy it, android is just lacking quality merchandise, which is also another good reason for BGEE to go to android - less competition.
  • KendoKendo Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    Chaos Rings 2 was just released. And as it is, I've yet to start Chaos Rings Omega. So these two will have to do for now. Along with Aralon: Sword & Shadow and Deprofundis. Best part is, all different types of RPG.
  • MatthewMatthew Member Posts: 21
    Glad to read some news on this! Best of luck getting this done as soon as may be!
    Decent article to check out: http://www.androidcentral.com/tackling-fragmentation-supporting-multiple-screens

Overhaul obviously knows what they are doing, and I'm looking forward to a great product that with be compatible on a number of tablets.
  • CalibraeCalibrae Member Posts: 2
    Fragmentation and even cross OS capabilities are not a problem if you start from scratch. You got plenty frameworks, sdks, and shit to choose from. Porting an x86 engine from the windows 9x era tho...

Thanks for mentioning other RPGs, I've bought FF3 but there's way to much farming involved - and I'm getting way to old to waste time looking at stats going up, I'd rather script and automate the farming needs.
  • THX1139THX1139 Member Posts: 2
    Any answer the original question: release date? (When announced on tablet, leaves were falling the trees, now Springs is already there :-)
    - will there be a different date for every device or more with the processor (tegra2, 3)?

About the snobby people who see no (money!) interest in developping apps on Android, I really hope that BG will show them that they are SO wrong and when apps are well done and interresting, we pay for it! I am fed up with the clichés about Android users compared to the iOS ones. For sure nothing will change if good developpers do not put their products on Android: so good luck Overhaul for the final sprint!!!
  • RalphTrickeyRalphTrickey Member Posts: 8

-Trent

Yep, horrible idea from everything I've heard. When will it be out?

A new IP without an online component would be a bad idea with the level of piracy on Android. I think that an older IP like this will appeal to people willing to pay money for it.

I hate to admit that I have the iPad version and will buy this version too :(

I doubt very much that you will make as much on the Android as the iPad, but I hope that it makes enough to break even on the development costs.
  • o2mikeo2mike Member Posts: 5
    Look how much the Humble Bundles make with their Android bundles. There are lots of Android users, willing to pay for quality games.

The image of Android users, spending less money on apps, has at least partially to do with the fact, that the Play Store is not accessible from some countries and that credit card payment is the only accepted paying method, while credit cards are not a standard in some countries (and therefore not common).

I am very sure, that you will do more than good with this quality game, in the Play Store. It will outshine lots of the other available games.
  • elvee68elvee68 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 35
    Best news I have heard all week!!!!! Shut up and take my money!!!!!!!!!!