Skip to content

The Tale of Baldur's Gate - Told by the BG EE Community

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited December 2012
    OOC: @Shandyr If you see this go ahead and remove this post; it serves no purpose and is cluttering our lovely story
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327

OOC: never mind. Ninja'd.

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar2600.htm is a good reference for a general overview of areas (the link is straight to Candlekeep prologue) and names of import. It's also a walkthrough so be warned!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Shandyr I think we all have a little freak in us for this game to be doing an activity like this...
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Shandyr said:

OOC: Hmm I hope that ninja'ng does not occur too often... I am open for suggestions how to handle this... :/

What I try to remember to do is before hitting "Post Comment", hit "Save Draft" then reload the page to see if any new posts have been made. (If you don't "Save Draft" first you might lose some of your work, so be careful!) Then hit "Post Comment" and head out the door to go join a distant monastery where I will be away from the trappings of technology for several months, not realizing my post got ninja'd anyway and now everyone's left in a quandary waiting for me to revise my post. Oh well, when I'm back in six months I'll sort it out!

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Before hurrying to meet Gorion, Abdel stops to say goodbye to Philydia. "I must leave soon, but, I did find your book for you first! Thank you for all you've taught me!"
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    He shows the book to Phlydia, who is taken aback. She had only recently realised it was missing. She does however correctly guessed that it was in amongst the hay.
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    @Shandyr if all else fails, the first come first serve rule should hopefully work. Also if the participants bookmark this page like I did they should get a notice when someone makes a new post on it (however the notice likely has a few seconds lag...) There is also the "who's on line in this category" list. If the participants learn each others name they could monitor this as another deterant. Though Nukenin's suggestion seems like the best bet thus far.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Abdel contemplates trying to figure out a way to get Obe's mass combat friends gear from them, but realizes that he has kept Gorion waiting, so he figures he better get out of his now unsafe childhood home. "Heya, its me Imoen" he hears as he nears his foster father.
    "I will probably miss Imoen most of all." He thinks to himself. "I truly wish she could come with me." He decides to go talk to her.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Slipping the gem Phlydia gave him for returning her book into his pocket, Abdel greets Imoen. "I'm afraid I can't chat today, little one. My foster father wants me to prepare for a journey, but won't say to where."

(I figured the extra line was okay, because it was in the original dialogue...)
    edited December 2012
    OOC: @LadyRhian 2 lines are now allowed. So don't worry about it :)
    @Elminster Yeah. I have three. :)
    edited December 2012
    OOC: Other than your explanation it only shows up for me as two. Personally I am working off of what it shows up as post-editing, but it does differ from the length you see when editing.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    ooc: I think 3 is okay so long as you dont do it every single post you make. I think of 2 as the soft cap so long as they are directly related. So "Abdel goes to the store. He buys a cake for Imoen. He heads to the inn with the cake." would be fine, but if you added "He hides the cake and sets up decorations for the party" would be too much.
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    After reminding Abdel that she is not much younger than him, Imoen, being as curious as ever, tries to pry some information about his trip saying: "sure wish I could go with you; wherever you are going."

OOC: I remember a lot of dialog until I have to repeat it. I hope its ok if I change a few minor bits. But perhaps the 2 line rule should have an exception in cases of in game dialog that are especially long and better done as one piece ie: the Portalbenderwinden rant given by the PC(one of my favorites). If that would cause too much trouble though then nevermind.
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2012
    Abdel reluctantly bids goodbye to Imoen and climbs the stairs to speak to Gorion. Gorion lectures him about the dangers they face as they walk toward the gates. "If we ever become separated, it is imperative that you proceed to the Friendly Arms End. There, you will meet Khalid and Jaheira. They have long been my friends, and you can trust them."
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    edited December 2012
    Abdel is healed and he and Gorion depart. They find themselves shortly thereafter in a clearing, with rocks scattered about in an odd, if intentional manner. "Prepare yourself" Gorion proclaims, "we are at an ambush." Out of the darkness a towering figure emerges.
    edited December 2012
    "You are perceptive for an old man," the menacing figure says, demanding Gorion hand over his ward. Gorion refuses, tells Abdel to run, and the battle is on!
    edited December 2012
    Abdel, now terrified, runs as fast as he can taking a few arrows in the back. From a safe distance he watches as Gorion slays all the attackers with his powerful magic save for the armored man and a young woman with a sad look on her face. Then the woman dispells Gorion's protections and the armored figure slays Gorion with a single blow.

@Belgarathmth You should probably edit your post to include reference to Kalid and Jahiera for continuity's sake. Even if it is a bit long.
    edited December 2012
    OOC: Sorry, I assumed "..." was more of speech trailing off kind of thing rather than an attempt to bridge to the next person, so I kind of threw us off a bit.
    Abdel, lacking familiarity with his surroundings and mortified at what has just transpired decides to camp out for the night just off of the road leaving Candlekeep. Perhaps in the morning he can gather friendly assistance from a passing merchant. In the meantime he struggles to sleep.
    Shandyr said:

OOC: Okay I think I might have found a "solution" to this problem of ninja'ng (i.e. several members posting at once, which breaks consistency):

You make an empty post with the line "Work in progress" or "Space reservation".
    Anyone who sees this knows that there is a post/ a response in progress and that s/he should wait until it has been completed.

Update the website and check out if your reservation post has indeed the position at the story you want it to have (because someone else might have made a reservation post at the same time as you!)

And then edit it and enter your actual message.

It is just an idea to reduce the ninja'ng. Tell me what you think of it.

Just don't take forever doing it because it will hold up the story.
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    "Why is all this happening?" Abdel thought to himself. "That fiend was after me and me alone! Who could possibly want a nobody like me dead? And why? Even if I tried to get back in to Candlekeep they wouldn't let me in without Gorion's Influence. Now I'm all alone..."