Skip to content

Steam key for Beamdog buyers

Comments

• WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    lordkim said:

@woo.
    Cry me a river !

There wouldnt be anything for you to argue, if you just bought the game at Beamdogs.
    So my marketing ethics, my arse..

I Did in fact buy the game from beamdog, twice because I was FORCED TO, now there is BETTER and more reliable (steam) options to the customers, there should be these options to preexisting customers, without having to repurchase.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    Why is Steam better and more reliable? That's ridiculous. You get updates quicker and no real client with Beamdog if you don't want to. What's the problem then? The only thing we are 'missing' is downloading through Steam, slower updates and the fact that it tracks your time etc. I already added it in my list the day it was released. If there is a Steam-key for us in the future? I might add it, if I see that patches aren't incredibly slow or if the patches stop coming.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    No there shouldn't. If you have an issue take it up with Atari, not Beamdog.

Beamdog developed the game, Atari are the ones who pushed it out onto Steam. Atari from what I can gather are solely responsible for the Steam version.

Better and more reliable? Not IMO. Delayed and client-dependant? Yes. For your much coveted steam version will also get these extra benefits;

Delayed patches as Atari will need to issue these to Steam who will then need to implement them.
    No cloud based saves as these will be hosted on Beamdog servers.
    Questionable iOS/Android/Linux support. I'm guessing it will be a PC only release.

I'm also unsure of how multiplayer will pan out on Steam as I'm sure the lobbies will be hosted on Beamdog servers too.

Seriously, stop whining. Beamdog are trying to negotiate with Atari about this - they are your only hope. I'm sure as hell convinced that Steam couldn't give a single crap about your early adopter status. They'll want you to buy again. If Steam are so awesome then maybe try appealing to them for a free key.

Yay for consumer loyalty.
    I get 10mbps download on steam... 3mbps with heavy traffic, the beamdog client is slow. took me 7-8mins to do 200megs.

Steam is more reliable because they have an amazing boss, work structure, and INCREDIBLE customer service, and I have been dealing with them for 5+ years, not once have they let me down, or left a mistake unfixed. They have even refunded me money with their no refund policy because they care about customers that much. I trust steam they have earned it, they have shown reliability.

Beamdog has been iffy since day 1... even before day 1 with preloading.
    That's true... That client of theirs does crap out if there are very many people downloading. I'd use a Steam-key if I get it, but I won't be sad if we don't get one. :)
  • wednesdaywednesday Member Posts: 61
    Would love to get a steam key, if only so i could download updates instead of staring at the launcher as it stalls yet again on "checking files"
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Woo said:

Except it is a steam game. http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/

People who bought it before 16th of jan are just being screwed over. Not to mention logical fallacies are not valid or strong counterpoints.

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ Don't do those if you want to actually be involved in real conversations.

Aren't you commiting the logical fallacy by throwing the webpage at us without explaining who or what you are talking about? I'd like a specification of what arguements (and whos) you are refering to.
    edited January 2013
    Lifat said:

Woo said:

Except it is a steam game. http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/

People who bought it before 16th of jan are just being screwed over. Not to mention logical fallacies are not valid or strong counterpoints.

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ Don't do those if you want to actually be involved in real conversations.

Aren't you commiting the logical fallacy by throwing the webpage at us without explaining who or what you are talking about? I'd like a specification of what arguements (and whos) you are refering to.
    Drugar said:

One of the great joys of BG:EE is that when I'm playing it, I can tell my friends "I'm sorry, it's not a Steam game so I can't talk to you while playing. Now fuck off."
    Who would want to miss that?

This.
    @Woo Again I must ask for an explanation of what you mean? What specifically about Drugar's statement is a fallacy?
    And I play in offline-mode many times. No problem there. You don't have to log in to your friend-list.
    Lifat said:

@Woo Again I must ask for an explanation of what you mean? What specifically about Drugar's statement is a fallacy?

Refusing to acknowledge it is a steam game. It is already in fact a Steam game.

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-emotion
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy

Pretty sure it loosely fits a couple others, I'm not here to debate this.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    You misunderstood the point if the post. That doesn't make his statement a fallacy
    Are you serious? The guy was refering to before it was a steam game. And you YOURSELF brought in this whole fallacy debate.
    Pointing out faulty reasoning is not starting or getting into a petty debate, it is merely pointing out error.
    @Woo
    If it's a Steam game then you'll need to apply to Steam to get a key.
    decado said:

@Woo
    If it's a Steam game then you'll need to apply to Steam to get a key.

Wrong, If you purchase any steam game from any store it comes with a steam key, because it activates on steam. This steam game however has not given me my steam key. Which i have paid for. Even the humble bundles will give you steam keys for their games they have up.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    edited January 2013
    His point was that his friends wouldn't bug him because he doesn't need to log into Steam in order to play the game.

Adding the game to Steam officially and playing it from that client means that his friends might attempt to talk to him through the Steam client against his own wishes.

There's no need to point out fallacies unless you are in some type of argument. Pointing out a logical fallacy in a casual observation/comment makes you look like a... Well, you could probably complete that sentence.
    edited January 2013
    Mathmick said:

His point was that his friends wouldn't bug him because he doesn't need to log into Steam in order to play the game.

Adding the game to Steam officially and playing it from that client means that point.

There's no need to point out fallacies unless you are in some type of argument. Pointing out a logical fallacy in a casual observation/comment makes you look like a... Well, you could probably complete that sentence.

True enough, but point still stands. Buy a steam game ANYWHERE physical copy or not, IT COMES WITH a steam key. BG:EE IS infact a steam game, i gave BEAMDOG 40$ (game x2 ) I want my steam keys.

EDIT: Also, you are not forced to add it to steam in this case, some steam games you are yes, but some people WANT to add it to steam. So add or not, steam game is steam game.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    I'm not arguing about the Steam keys. I'm merely pointing out that pointing out fallacies is pointless for random comments.

If anything, I'm pretty much neutral on the Steam Key matter since I don't even use it.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2013
    Does this forum have an ignore feature for angry entitled teenagers?

I mention this because maybe it's me getting older (just turned thirty in November), but I see so many fans acting from a sense of entitlement . "I want my steam keys" is a good example. I've seen similar statements while playing Old Republic on general chat. Lots of folks say " I want MY (x)" nowadays and I find this trend disturbing.
    edited January 2013
    @Woo You didn't buy a steam game. You bought a game that later became a steam game. I too have bought games back when steam didn't exist. And now some of those games are on steam. Did I suddenly get a free steam key? No of course not. Nor would I expect one. As overhaul haven't promised you steam keys in the event that it became a steamgame then I don't really see why you are entitled to it?
    That said Overhaul is already looking into getting us free steam keys as a service to us.
    @Woo

If it was a Steam game it would have come with Steam keys. You have no Steam keys therefore it is not a Steam game.

You bought a product with the full understanding that it was a Beamdog exclusive. You are entitled to nothing. As I've mentioned you should apply to Steam/Atari for your key if you feel you are entitled to one. They were the only two parties involved in bringing BGEE to Steam.

Let me know how that turns out. I'll be interested to see if Steam reward you for your loyalty.
    Mathmick said:

I'm not arguing about the Steam keys. I'm merely pointing out that pointing out fallacies is pointless for random comments.

If anything, I'm pretty much neutral on the Steam Key matter since I don't even use it.

This is you :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013
    Woo said:

Mathmick said:

Adding the game to Steam officially and playing it from that client means that point.

True enough, but point still stands. Buy a steam game ANYWHERE physical copy or not, IT COMES WITH a steam key. BG:EE IS infact a steam game, i gave BEAMDOG 40$ (game x2 ) I want my steam keys.

EDIT: Also, you are not forced to add it to steam in this case, some steam games you are yes, but some people WANT to add it to steam. So add or not, steam game is steam game.
    @Woo

Just because you are so fond of logical fallacies:

by your own reasoning if a Steam Game always comes with a Steam key, then BGEE is not a Steam Game as it clearly may come also without a Steam key.

How do you like that ? :-p

Edit: I've been anticipated by @decado. He posted while I was writing mine.
    decado said:

@Woo

If it was a Steam game it would have come with Steam keys. You have no Steam keys therefore it is not a Steam game.

You bought a product with the full understanding that it was a Beamdog exclusive. You are entitled to nothing. As I've mentioned you should apply to Steam/Atari for your key if you feel you are entitled to one. They were the only two parties involved in bringing BGEE to Steam.

Let me know how that turns out. I'll be interested to see if Steam reward you for your loyalty.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/ explain this if it is not a steam game. I am certain many times things have come to steam late and been given free steam keys.

Beamdog handled my money, that makes them liable/responsible also.
    @Woo

You bought the game on the understanding that it was a Beamdog exclusive. At no point was there ever any proviso that if it was later released to steam that you would be entitled to a free key. If there was please provide a link/proof so we may all see it.

So Beamdog has no responsibility to you at all.

In short, unless Beamdog an negotiate a Steam key from Atari/Steam then it is unlikely you are going to get one, this is despite Beamdog not even being involved in the Steam release.

My previous post still stands until you show me something to disprove it.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Woo said:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/ explain this if it is not a steam game.

You've just demonstrated that being on steam doesn't make a game a Steam Game.

Congratulations!
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Hopeful thought... Not gonna happen. The only exception as far as I know was witcher and witcher 2 where steam users could get free GOG copies. This was possible since GOG are owned by developers of Witcher and Witcher 2 game. It's equivalent of steam users getting free BGEE copy from using steam key.

There are other games, such as MDK2 HD, that was first available at Beamdog and then Steam. Hasn't happened for those game yet.

It would be extremely nice, but then Steam users might demand free BGEE copies from Beamdog. Gonna makes things more complicated for both companies. I can perfectly understand if both companies won't allow that.
    @Woo ... First. Beamdog is a client exactly like steam is. They are distributors. They have never said anything about the game not coming to steam. Overhaul is the developers. One of their employees said that they couldn't promise that the game would some day come to steam. Atari has the rights to the game. They are the ones that made the deal with steam.

The fact that they couldn't promise that it would one day come to steam means that we were well informed that it COULD come to steam some day. If you wanted it on steam then you should have waited for that. That you didn't wait simply means that you are not entitled to a steam key.

Is BG:EE a steamgame? Depends on when you bought it. If you bought it before the 16th then it isn't because you have no way of inputting to steam. If you bought it after the 16th then it is a steamgame.
    I really hope now that Beamdog CAN'T get us a Steam-key and that all these whiners will be so disgruntled that they will leave this company and forum alone from now on. That would be nice. :P