Skip to content

Steam key for Beamdog buyers

Pray the gods favour us this day and we are given Steam keys for us unfortunate sods who bought it through their website. Please devs, give us steam keys!!
diggerbshtkck

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Trent Oster ‏(twitter):
    We have not been able to reach an agreement with Atari regarding Steam keys for existing users. We are still trying.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Menalak said:

for us unfortunate sods who bought it through their website.

... what?
    AntonGodKaiserHellGrandeC
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

Menalak said:

for us unfortunate sods who bought it through their website.

... what?
    Invasion of teh Steam fanbois. It has begun.
    Flashburn
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    harvman11 said:

I don't quite get why so many people seem to want a steam key... right now I have a completely unrestricted version of BG:EE that I can play on any computer I'd like, offline or online, without any client. It's as close to DRM-free as you can get these days (you need an internet connection to validate the first time you boot, that's it). Why would I want to take that product, and force myself to run a client while I play?

Honestly the only thing I'd use from Steam that I can't get with what I have now is # of hours played (and I'm not sure I want to know that number...), and I'd rather keep my game DRM-free than have something that trivial.

Completely and totally agree.

Also, if you like game hour tracking, there's xfire. Has a bunch of other features too like overlay (though doesn't seem to like BG:EE... yet), cross-game chat, video/screenshot/broadcasting capabilities, voice chat etc. And there's other alternatives as well, though that's the one I use.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

That's harsh. :( I mean, I'm not expecting a steam key, but it'd be nice. BGEE is once of the few PC games I own that isn't on steam. Admittedly it's largely my own compulsive qualities, but I greatly enjoy having everything in one place. It isn't a completely invalid thought either. I get that circumstances here are tricky, but it isn't unheard of for steam keys for a game to be included in a dev purchase (though AFAIK, not retroactively)

TJ_HookerMessiPinkRose
  • SimmOSimmO Member Posts: 10
    +1 need steam key plz!
  • CobbwebCobbweb Member Posts: 26
    I do not understand the constant request for Steam keys. Can you not just add a shortcut in Steam to the Beamdog ver of BG?
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2013
    Would love a Steam key. I use it almost exclusively nowadays. That said, I do not expect one nor do I feel like I am owed a key. It would be a nice surprise is all.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    So if you can do it this way, what are steam keys good for?
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    What is it good for? Absolutely nothing. Uh-huh. War!

--Seriously though, I don't know..sorry for trolling! haha
    TJ_HookerDragonspearThe_New_RomanceLemernis
    Aosaw said:

Trent and the team are still in negotiations with Atari, but in the mean-time you can still add the game to your Steam library and launch it from there. Follow these steps:

1) In the Steam browser window, select the "View" drop-down, and choose "Games List".
    2) At the bottom left corner of the window, click "Add Game", and select "Add a Non-Steam Game"
    3) Select Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition from the list, and click "Add Selected Programs" (it should show up automatically)

And that's it; the game will launch normally just like any other Steam game, and you can still run it offline if your internet goes out (by running baldur.exe).

Unfortunately the topics about 'Steam key plz' will keep on popping up in the near future. *sigh*
    Anton
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    harvman11 said:

I don't quite get why so many people seem to want a steam key... right now I have a completely unrestricted version of BG:EE that I can play on any computer I'd like, offline or online, without any client. It's as close to DRM-free as you can get these days (you need an internet connection to validate the first time you boot, that's it). Why would I want to take that product, and force myself to run a client while I play?

Honestly the only thing I'd use from Steam that I can't get with what I have now is # of hours played (and I'm not sure I want to know that number...), and I'd rather keep my game DRM-free than have something that trivial.

QFT!
    Aosaw said:

Trent and the team are still in negotiations with Atari, but in the mean-time you can still add the game to your Steam library and launch it from there. Follow these steps:

1) In the Steam browser window, select the "View" drop-down, and choose "Games List".
    2) At the bottom left corner of the window, click "Add Game", and select "Add a Non-Steam Game"
    3) Select Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition from the list, and click "Add Selected Programs" (it should show up automatically)

And that's it; the game will launch normally just like any other Steam game, and you can still run it offline if your internet goes out (by running baldur.exe).

And @Aosaw You just solved the problem for a lot of people. That information needs a sticky! (I'm not going to do it but that is just me)
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Isn't not wanting it on Steam equivalent to the Steam people not wanting it on anything but Steam?

And isn't trying to purchase it directly from Beamdog and see if a Steam key is obtainable with that purchase (which is the case in some games that are bought straight from the developer) better than buying it on Steam and short changing Beamdog?

And if you act really rude to the people that want Steam keys aren't you more likely to push them away and ensure they buy BG2:EE on Steam?
    shtkck
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    Lifat said:

Especially considering that it may mean slower updates for the people on steam (because valve would have to approve the update first)

Wouldn't be slower for us all? I thought there was an announcement about keeping future updates in lockstep across all platforms.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    edited January 2013
    PeteAtoms said:

Wouldn't be slower for us all? I thought there was an announcement about keeping future updates in lockstep across all platforms.

Yes, updates from Overhaul. But according to what I have read so far, Atari will make the updates to Steam as they are the ones responsible for the Steam launch. Atari will probably get the updates when we get them, then it depends on them how soon Steam users will get the updates. That is my guess, at least.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    @Lifat

My response was intended for Kitteh, who in several threads is a bit hostile towards steam users. I personally want my DRM free and potentially more recent updates.

Also, I'm going to bet that Steam increases Beamdog's revenue more than it will hurt it which makes a BG3 from them more likely.
    Post edited by moopy on
    shtkck
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    Cobbweb said:

I do not understand the constant request for Steam keys. Can you not just add a shortcut in Steam to the Beamdog ver of BG?

Adding it this way is stupid and poor customer service. "Non-Steam game" even though it was added to steams library which means you technically have to purchase it again to own it properly. So to get proper steam support or convenient downloading, also FASTER downloading/updating(10+mbps) upon future dates we need a real steam version. Also worth mentioning not handing out a steam key to everyone who bought this game months ago is a huge middle finger to us all. Since steam games are you know activated on steam. and BG:EE IS INFACT A STEAM GAME, but my BG:EE isn't? Not cool.

Preordered two copies, would appreciate 2 steam keys for many legitimate reasons.
    shtkck
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    And while your at it. Cant you bring me English breakfast tommorow morning. With some niice hot coffee.
    Thx.

Ohh btw, Dont have steam, dont need steam...ergo dont need key...
    GodKaiserHellAristillius
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    I quite like Beamdog interface. I don't have to force my game directory to whatever steam says.
    lordkim said:

And while your at it. Cant you bring me English breakfast tommorow morning. With some niice hot coffee.
    Thx.

Ohh btw, Dont have steam, dont need steam...ergo dont need key...

Good for you. your prefs are not mine. Neither are your marketing ethics. I on the other hand work in marketing and sales and screwing over a huge percent of clients is not good work ethics. Or good for business or bank accounts.
    leeho730 said:

I quite like Beamdog interface. I don't have to force my game directory to whatever steam says.

You can install games to where ever you want except for valve ones. You aren't forced to install other steam games anywhere anymore.
    Lifat said:

@moopy The reason that there's so much resistance against it being on steam is that it cuts into overhaul's profits per game. I agree that it is likely that the game being on steam probably will mean more money in the pouch of overhaul overall (because it being on steam is going to mean greater amount of copies sold). This is the reason I'm not against it being on steam.

I'm not even against people who want a steam key for the game they bought via. beamdog. I am against the tone of entitlement that some of those people are using. And if overhaul have to spend money on getting some people their steam keys then I'd be against that too. And if people start to ask for their money back so that they can buy it via. steam then I'd be against that too.

All in all. If it doesn't cost overhaul any money getting people their steam key then I say let them have their steam keys.

Personally I fail to see the reason for moving a game from a DRM-light area into a heavy DRM area. Especially considering that it may mean slower updates for the people on steam (because valve would have to approve the update first)

Here, @moopy, @Lifat basically said what I wanted to say, because you seemed to want a reply from me. Well, here you got it.
    Drugar said:

One of the great joys of BG:EE is that when I'm playing it, I can tell my friends "I'm sorry, it's not a Steam game so I can't talk to you while playing. Now fuck off."
    Who would want to miss that?

^ This. It's often annoying when I forget to put myself offline and then random people want to chat with me when I'm in the middle of a fight in Skyrim.
    CuvAristillius
    Except it is a steam game. http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/

People who bought it before 16th of jan are just being screwed over. Not to mention logical fallacies are not valid or strong counterpoints.

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ Don't do those if you want to actually be involved in real conversations.
    shtkck
  • knasknas Member Posts: 50
    Adding your game to steam like that offers none of the steam functions in it though? Like being able to see friends who own it and getting automated updates through steam. Or the #1 fact why I'd like to have it there, actually having the cdkey and game stuff stored in my game library
    Wooshtkck
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2013
    They have tweeted that they are negotiating getting steam keys. It's not as if they are "giving you a huge middle finger". As has been posted, adding it to steam was Ataris decision and overhaul was not contacted. Surely with your vast knowledge of marketing and sales you can wrap your head around the idea of a publisher doing something without consenting the developer first.

AristilliusdiggerbScytheKnight
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    @woo.
    Cry me a river !

There wouldnt be anything for you to argue, if you just bought the game at Beamdogs.
    So my marketing ethics, my arse..
    Wiggles