Skip to content

The 75 roll No-Reload/No Resurrection Challenge

Comments

• SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Nice run @EnterHaerDalis. Being waylaid by basilisks is exactly why I always carry a stone to flesh scroll on my main PC in every game.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @EnterHaerDalis Wow, I didn't know basilisks can waylay you - that's pretty hardcore. Also, that's a pretty cool presentation format for this challenge, I've enjoyed reading it.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    SirK8 said:

Nice run @EnterHaerDalis. Being waylaid by basilisks is exactly why I always carry a stone to flesh scroll on my main PC in every game.

Yeah ... prevention is not good enough. Although I got through the area with a protection from petrification spell and korax it was still stupid to not have stone to flesh scrolls on me. I have no excuses, they are sold at every temple and are pretty cheap
    Adul said:

@EnterHaerDalis Wow, I didn't know basilisks can waylay you - that's pretty hardcore. Also, that's a pretty cool presentation format for this challenge, I've enjoyed reading it.

cool thanks. I think basilisks can only waylay you on your way out of the basilisk area - I'm not 100% sure though

• dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    edited November 2013
    I decided to give this a try and using the random character generator created a neutral good elven fighter/thief.

Things were going well. Went to friendly arm inn, fought a few beasties on the way. There have been loses; Imoen, Jaheria and Monterron. Now I said things were going well, that's because just as the party (Jaheria Xzar, Garrick and myself) approached Nashkel there was a random attack with a group of bandits.

I actually have the game paused, looking at the screen helplessly as a volley of arrows are flying at my group. I doubt I'll survive this.

Edit:

Amazingly survived with everyone intact. Neato.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    God damn it. Defeated orcs, giants and bandits only to be killed by a couple of kobolds.

This was fun, like playing a survival RPG. I was actually getting invested in the game, only for it to be put to a violent quick end.
    demented said:

God damn it. Defeated orcs, giants and bandits only to be killed by a couple of kobolds.

This was fun, like playing a survival RPG. I was actually getting invested in the game, only for it to be put to a violent quick end.

That's why this challenge is so much fun!
    I'm on another really good run, had a freaklishly amazing roll after trying to get a 95+ for a normal game :) I just beat Davaeorn with ease and will be tackling Baldurs Gate tomorrow. First time I've ever even made it there doing this challenge. Will do a full run down when it's concluded

Davian.png 1013.4K
    Nice, we'll look forward to hearing about it!
    This run was gong rather well, I had just downed Bassilus and was off to wrap up some quests before heading to Nashkel mines, when it came to a sudden and abrubt end. Xzar used his lighning wand in a WIDE OPEN SPACE, but somehow it managed to bounce back and kill my cleric :(

The sudden violent end of my character in an otherwise great run is exactly why I like this challenge!
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Congrats! I approve of that party.
  • EntreriSeraphEntreriSeraph Member Posts: 5
    OK. Was going to start a new char to carry over into BG2:EE, but this seems more interesting... Going to use my first 75 roll, and see where fate takes me.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Stats:

image Asherah
    Level 1 Avenger
    5/16/6/13/17/17
    Useful items: Ring of Wizardry, Wand of Magic Missiles, big stack of darts, dagger.

Companions: None!

Deceased: Gorion, Xzar, Montaron, Imoen.

OK. Was going to start a new char to carry over into BG2:EE, but this seems more interesting... Going to use my first 75 roll, and see where fate takes me.

After equipping myself at the inn, I ignored a few requests for help - deciding instead to head directly to the steps of the keep. Gorion is rarely urgent...clearly I don't have time to waste on errands today. Despite my haste, shortly after we left...Gorion was struck down. I ran...Imoen followed me. With heavy hearts, and little to do besides heed our father's last words, we set our sights on the friendly arm, hoping to meet with Khalid and Jaheira.

Along the way, we met some curious (but clearly dubious) adventurers who were looking to band together and travel South. I told them I would head there after stopping by the Friendly Arm; I anticipated that they, too, would appreciate the companionship. They agreed, and brought with them several healing potions and spell scrolls. The mage, rambling incoherently, proved his worth that first night when the group was ambushed by a wolf - I just hope never to be on the receiving end of his ire.

After a few more skirmishes, we started feeling comfortable enough fighting as a group - and we were being tested more frequently. Before the steps to the Inn, an attempt on my life was the first of several notable encounters, where we (with the help of Gorion's friends) earned some much needed gold and equipment before heading South.

Imoen, growing confident in her abilities, attempted to scout an ogre's camp for us - despite my protests. An ogre, a wild ogre no less, can have keen senses, particularly at night. Sure enough, he spotted her quickly, and we had to mobilize quickly to take him down.

After gaining some strength, and no casualties, we head south to nashkell. (in pt. 2)
    edited November 2013
    Once we arrived in Nashkell, we were asked to investigate the nearby mine. While in town, I was pulled aside by Jaheira, who questioned the motives of Xzar and Montaron. After confiding in Imoen, and meeting a powerful yet loyal man named Minsc, I came to the decision that I would part ways with Xzar and Montaron...for now. I didn't quite trust them either. Speaking of not trusting my companions... a second large man, or orc, named Dorn joined our ranks. Dark. Clearly evil. but STRONG.

Imoen insisted on scouting the front; I sent my spirit animal to protect her. Khalid, showing uncharacteristic courage, successfully challenged several kobold bowmen. The party was growing together, fighting together, with nary an injury to show for it.

Imoen, ever eager to show off her knowledge and smarts, remembered reading about kobolds being trained to set rudimentary traps; she told us to stay behind her, and she was right. She is growing up, alongside me, faster than I thought.

We knew the traps meant we were close. A dark cave. The source of this chaos must be in there.

But we are tired. We are out of healing and offensive spells. We need to rest. Because whatever is behind that door...
    I awaken to a blood-curdling scream. I know that scream...I've heard it before, in my dreams. No, not this scream...but one like it.

He's dead, taken down with a hail of arrows in his sleep. Stupid choice, Resting down here. What were we thinking?

Dorn takes an arrow to his throat. I guess I never really will get to know his story...at least not from him. This is bad. Is Imoen OK? Where is Imoen? It's so dark down here. Why are the Kobolds not yipping anymore? did we kill them? No, I don't remember any Kobolds.

I don't remember it being this quiet...why did we sleep here...I guess we can go back to sleep, just for a few minutes...You still awake, Imoen?

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited March 2014
    I can't believe I missed your post @EnterHaerDalis! Belated congratulations!!! image

It's funny how this challenge grows on my mind. It's time for another shot. Apologies for the wall of text to follow and for covering the same ground we always do from the beginning ;)

Introducing Leosc, the Dragon Disciple:

I've never been one for keeping a journal, but so much has happened recently I need to get my thoughts in order.

Day 1:
    My life was turned upside down today. Everyone has an urgency about them today. I was told to prepare for a journey and that my father wants us to leave right away. I made my usual rounds, running errands, but the atmosphere was very different. Something was definitely in the air. I visited the bunkhouse and was attacked by a "sewer rat" looking for a golden ticket. He did fall for my blindness trick thank goodness, but who wants me dead? What the hell is going on here!?! I am just going to get my things, say my goodbyes and leave ASAP. I am relying on Gorion to tell me what's really going on once we leave...

Day 2:
    This isn't real. This must be a nightmare. My father is dead, ambushed by a heavily armed squad. And they were looking for me. And I ran, left him there to die. I can't even describe the next sequence of events. It was so surreal. When I regained some amount of composure, I was some distance away from the ambush, the scene of my shame. I need time to think. My next move needs to be the right one. Dad mentioned friends at the Inn to the north. I may find some answers there. But first, I have a duty to perform.

Who should I run into on my way back to the ambush? Imoen. I always got along with her, but she was different today. She was very nonchalant, making jokes. She also seems to know a lot more about what's going on than I. When I prompted her for more information, she asked me to tell her a story about trollops and plugtails?!? On the way to bury my father??? What a sick twist!! I think I need to go at this alone until I find the friends my father spoke of...

On the way to the ambush site, I ran across a couple of seemingly friendly people. They offered me a healing potion! Nice! However, after about 90 seconds with them, I realize that these are decidedly NOT the friends I was looking for. I was grateful for the potion, but I question the motive behind the gift. I wished them well and went my own way.

I found my father's body. I gathered his belongings and built a cairn to mark his final resting place. Among his possessions was a note from a mysterious person named "E." It seems that these events have been anticipated to some degree. I noted a faint, barely legible watermark on the reverse of the letter, alluding to something buried under a tree outside the Friendly Arm Inn. I wonder what that might be? Obviously "E" felt it important enough to inform Gorion, but was careful to ensure others would not find it. Hmmm...very interesting.

What should my next move be? Back to Candlekeep to inform them of the tragedy or onward to the FAI?
    Post edited by JLee on
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Great post @JLee, nice take on E's letter :)
    edited March 2014
    @Blackraven Thank you kindly! I know this is a roleplay challenge, but I thought I'd permit myself that one stash and it seemed a plausible enough story :)

Day 3:
    After some thought, I decided to head back to Candlekeep to let them know what occurred and the loss of the great man. I felt it was only right. However, I was denied access at the gate! I need a book to enter!?!?! My father is dead outside the gates and I need a freaking book to get back to my home???

Swallowing my rage, I decide to head to the FAI as planned. I set up camp just outside the gate and will try to get an early start tomorrow.

Day 4:
    I stuck to the road and had an uneventful journey to the FAI. I found a ring under the tree alluded to in E's note! I am unsure of its powers, but it is clearly magical. Despite my hunch that it is something E meant for us to find, I had better find someone who knows more than I about such things to ensure it is safe to use. Maybe someone in the Inn can help with that? Onward then to safety and friendship at the good Inn!

My life has just passed before my eyes. Another bounty hunter was waiting outside the Inn pretending friendship. He attacked me and I was totally unprepared. I tried to use my old blind trick on him but, to my shame, I could not even cast the spell. I just stood there, frozen as he split into 4-5 people! I will need to learn that trick. I will forever be indebted to the fine guard at the FAI for saving my life from certain doom. A one-shot critical hit from the guard ended Tarnesh's life. If I make it through this alive, his family will never want for anything again!

On the body was a bounty notice indicating that this nightmare is only just beginning. There are going to be dozens, hundreds after me. I could use one (or five) of Winthrop's ales right about now. I sure hope the people I am here to meet can shed some light on this situation and are worth their salt in combat...
    Damn, this thread makes me want to join this challenge. Meaning I would have three games running... Maybe I'll do this in vanilla BG:EE.
    @JLee and others: are you playing with any mods? I have the Steam version of EE, and haven't tried to install any mods. Last time I checked installing mods was difficult with Steam.
    @Blackraven‌ I am playing vanilla bgee. If you scroll back a few pages, I believe one or two tried it with SCS.

I've had a lot of fun with these and normally they don't last long, if you use minimal meta-knowledge. It makes you realize how this game sort of railroads you into a difficult path for no reload, if you take the course of least resistance.
    I'm not sure if I can even attempt this challenge again since I've installed SCS...

@JLee, now that you're keeping a journal I hope your current game will last a bit longer ;)
    Day 5:
    I finally met Khalid and Jaheira. They were very upset to hear what befell Gorion and graciously offered to travel with me. Jaheira was quite adamant however about setting off to Nashkell in the south as quickly as possible. It is good to share company with those that knew Gorion well.

I could not find out about the ring at the FAI, but Bentley Mirrorshade directed me to his wife at the temple. For the price of 100 gold I found out that it is an incredible treasure! I am sure E meant it for Gorion's use, but I will keep it as an heirloom.

Onward to Nashkell...

The road south was uneventful all the way to Beregost. Although we did see signs of banditry along the way.

Day 6:
    Beregost. We didn't spend much time in Beregost. We did meet an extremely helpful fellow who pointed out the sights. But since we have a mission, we continued our journey south while it was still light.

We stuck to the road as we headed south, but for the first time we did run into trouble. 2 Ogrillons were right in the road. Man, they hit hard!! Poor Jaheira had to quaff two potions of healing to survive. Thankfully my sleep spell put them both under and it was easy work to finish them off.

From the experience gained during the encounter, Jaheira leveled up in both classes and received some much needed hit points. We found a note that contained good tidings for someone named Mirianne. We will definitely have to keep a lookout for her and give her this welcome piece of news.

Continuing south, we encountered a band of Hobgoblins. I was able to most of them to sleep, but Jaheira continues to take a beating. It was a close thing but we prevailed. On the negative side, Jaheira and I are out of spells. I hope we can make it to Nashkell where we can rest.

What a day...it is shortly after dark, but we finally made it to Nashkell. Now to find an inn, a mug of ale, and a good night's rest.

Well, BIG surprise! Another bounty hunter was waiting for us, this time inside the inn. Her name was Neira and this time there were no guards to help. Jaheira and Khalid engaged her in melee and I remembered the wand of magic Missiles Imoen was so generous to give me. With some well timed shots, I interrupted all of her casting attempts. I am not at all curious to know what devilry she had in store for us! However, that will remain a mystery, for she fell to Khalid's long sword and never rose again.

One good thing, Jaheira now has much needed new armor and a nice shield, only slightly worse for wear.

I am tired and can only crawl into bed. One last thought before sleep, inns should be approached with caution. It seems they are all under watch of the enemy.

Dead:
    none, knock on wood

Party:
    Khalid 1
    Jaheira 2/2
    Leosc 1

Level ups:
    Jaheira +9 hp, you go girl!
    @JLee, good writing man, and good job. I sympathize with your fragile crew :)
    @Blackraven‌ Thank you kindly! It's definitely invigorating when any kobold can one shot charname! We haven't been waylaid yet (knock on wood). That's always touchy at level 1.
    Knock knock (on wood).
    True roleplaying (rather than metagaming) is asking for trouble...
    I think Thalantyr doesn't sell Find Familiar, or does he? Hope you'll soon gain a level or two.
    Unfortunately in vanilla ee you get the scroll from Nimbul, iirc. Hopefully I'll live through the mines!