Skip to content

Dialogue That Probably Should Have Gone Differently (Potentially SERIOUS Spoilers)

SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
Pretty self-explanatory, rewrite some dialogue or a scenario you thought was a little odd or could have been funnier or otherwise more interesting. I'll start with a sort of Monty Pythonesque version of Resar the mage betraying you after you after you worked so hard to rob Oberon's Estate.

Resar: Excellent work. Here's the reward you were promised. Unfortunately, now we must kill you.

CHARNAME: Wait, what? Whatever for?

Resar: I'm afraid you know too much!

CHARNAME: What difference does that make? I was just planning to leave, and probably never speak to you ever again, in all likelihood.

Resar: You could tell the authorities, or blackmail me!

CHARNAME: ...Really? First of all, why would I tell the authorities that *I* stole a bunch of stuff from three uppity wizard gals for *you*? Even if I omitted that first part, they would wonder how I know so much. Second, why would I blackmail you? You would IMMEDIATELY know it was me, and thus I would have a pissed off wizard who wanted me dead, the precise situation I'm trying to avoid RIGHT NOW. Furthermore, you and Alatos here just paid me a bunch of magical items. Why would I want to stop that gravy wagon by turning you in or blackmailing you? Neither of those is anywhere near as profitable as a steady supply of magic.

Resar: I won't be swayed by your logic. That's not a risk I'm willing to take!

CN: Again, really? It sounds to me like you're willing to take the exact same risk by picking a fight with me. An even greater risk, arguably. I've killed plenty of wizards who thought I'd be an easy fight. Granted, none of them were from The Land of Magical Flying Boats, but even if you're twice as powerful as any of them, my entire party is literally ten feet away from you. Is even a one-in-ten chance of death acceptable? There's six of us, so how about one-in-six? Let me walk away and you might just get into some trouble with the law you can apparently easily flee or kill with your magic, or you might have a hair-brained blackmail scheme to foil. Try to kill me, and you're gambling with your very life rather than your reputation.

Alatos: He's making some good points, here.

CN: And what about THIS guy? He's been standing here the whole time. He knows just as much as I do, if not more!

Alatos: Whoa, hey, let's not make this about me, pal.

Resar: Enough! Fine! Go!

CN: Good doing business with you, gentlemen. Let me know if you need anything more in the future. See? Another benefit to not trying to kill me, you have a talented and trusted resource for the next dirty deed.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
NiffttrinitAmardarialEudaemoniumDelvarianKidCarnivalsledgefangMadhaxSirK8ReadingRambodeltagomlneveseSCARY_WIZARDredlineAristilliusFenghoangJuliusBorisovelminsterNimranlunarartificial_sunlightOperativeNLCrevsDaakAbi_DalzimNonnahswriterAlexisisinneedMERLANCEkcwiseFlashburnbooinyoureyesMoradinEadwyn_G8keeperJenzafarBelgarathMTHArdulSanctifersemiticgoddessVakarian

Comments

• AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    I can't like this enough!!! Sir, make a mod now, thank you!
    Schneidend
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Very nice dialogue indeed! :)
    Eudaemonium
  • sledgefangsledgefang Member Posts: 42
    Freaking genius
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I appreciate you guys like it, but you should also contribute your own!
    *slow clap* A bit harsh, redline, but I like it!
    Aristilliusbooinyoureyes
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Redline
    Very, very nicely done.
    booinyoureyes
  • LilacorLilacor Member Posts: 8
    "Perceptive my ass."

lol

@redline.

slowclap.gif
    booinyoureyes
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    You could probably name a lot of characters in these games who stupidly think they can take on your party of six heavily armed people by themselves. That has always bothered me.
    NimranbooinyoureyesEadwyn_G8keeper
    @redline‌

First of all, when does Tarnesh say his name?
    Second of all, how does the protagonist know at this point in the game that Xzar is from the Zhentarim?
    Nimrankcwise

You could probably name a lot of characters in these games who stupidly think they can take on your party of six heavily armed people by themselves. That has always bothered me.

Most of those characters tend to be fairly high level, so they're naturally confident. Graywolf and Tarnesh can pretty easily obliterate your six-man level 1 party, for instance. Sure, they're beatable, but think of how much effort you expend to do it. People are willing to blow a haste potion to defeat Tarnesh, or throw Entangle, Chromatic Orb, Hold Person, or Command at Graywolf or the dwarf bounty hunter in the Red Sheaf Inn. Meanwhile, those last two don't even HAVE magic or potions. They just cleave through you with raw skill and/or good gear.
    booinyoureyesMoradin
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Lol loved the jaheira khalid met
    booinyoureyes

Most of those characters tend to be fairly high level, so they're naturally confident. Graywolf and Tarnesh can pretty easily obliterate your six-man level 1 party, for instance. Sure, they're beatable, but think of how much effort you expend to do it. People are willing to blow a haste potion to defeat Tarnesh, or throw Entangle, Chromatic Orb, Hold Person, or Command at Graywolf or the dwarf bounty hunter in the Red Sheaf Inn. Meanwhile, those last two don't even HAVE magic or potions. They just cleave through you with raw skill and/or good gear.
    Then you have the evil halfling in Gullykin who comes at you with a normal shortsword and leather armor (or something like that). Greywolf I understand, but others, not so much.
    Nimranbooinyoureyes
    @OlvynChuru‌
    I think that was more a lack of options than overconfidence. Either be killed by the rest of the town for betraying them, or be killed by CHARNAME.
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86

@redline‌

First of all, when does Tarnesh say his name?
    Second of all, how does the protagonist know at this point in the game that Xzar is from the Zhentarim?

That's gotta be easy for anybody living in the Realms. When I first played Baldur's Gate, I knew nothing about the Realms outside of one AD&D boxed set and I was still able to immediately identify Xzar and Montaron as Zhents (and realize that the mysterious old man was obviously Elminster).
    MERLANCE
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    @chbrooks‌ how did you identify them? just curious
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

@redline‌

The only way you'd know is if you charmed him.
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    simples said:

@chbrooks‌ how did you identify them? just curious

Xzar and Montaron's backgrounds both mention that they're part of a secret organization, and the only group in the Realms that I knew of who would employ psychos like that were the Zhentarim.

As for Elminster, his red hat and robes are right off the cover of the 2nd edition Forgotten Realms boxed set, so he was easy.
    MERLANCEbooinyoureyes
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    In general dialogues, when ambushed it always irritates me the that when I'm doing a solo run the game knows exactly who I am and inserts the relevant charname into the dialogue, yet totally fails to recognise that I'm alone, i.e.
    "You and your ragtag bunch of followers" etc.
    From which I can only conclude that they have been drinking heavily, and I want so badly to reply:
    "Have you seen a large white rabbit recently, goes by the name of Harvey?"
    rufus_hobart

Gaelen Bayle: Yo CHARNAME, come back to my place so I can tell you a secret about Imoen. It is not a trap. I swear, you can trust me because I'm an armed thief in a dark alley. I even have a cool accent. I live in the slums and it is not sketchy. Coo!

CHARNAME: Nah, chill homie

Well, see, it's only a trap if you don't see it coming, so CHARNAME's safe.
    NimranbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisovRavenslight
    Speaking of Gaelen Bayle:

"Traitor, I could've helped you! Die! Yes, that's right! I'm such a great rogue if I just stand around in my house when I know you are coming to get me, and I don't even try to fight you stealthily, like backstabbing you or something! I totally think I can take on your band of six all by myself!"
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisovEmpyrial
    @OlvynChuru‌
    I don't think Gaelen is meant to be a "great rogue." Certainly, not a rogue in CHARNAME's league. I'd honestly say he's surprised you even showed up, confident that his smallfry status would keep him beneath your radar. Though, it WOULD be rad as hell if he covered his house in traps and he and his fence buddy wait for you on the second floor, chug invis potions when you enter the room, and give you a go.
    NonnahswriterNoonsemiticgoddess
    @Eadwyn_G8keeper‌
    Thanks. It always struck me as bizarre that Alatos, being the head of the Thieves' Guild, would be seen as more trustworthy in a clandestine wizard-robbing operation than CHARNAME, who has built a public face and reputation in the realms as an adventurer or mercenary by that point.
    JuliusBorisov

@Eadwyn_G8keeper‌
    Thanks. It always struck me as bizarre that Alatos, being the head of the Thieves' Guild, would be seen as more trustworthy in a clandestine wizard-robbing operation than CHARNAME, who has built a public face and reputation in the realms as an adventurer or mercenary by that point.

That kind of thing has always bothered me with the evil characters in the game, like Montaron. I don't really get why they always want to be infamous. You can get away with a lot more evil deeds if people think you are a hero. I mean, what shopkeeper would expect these "great people" to steal from their shop? They'd probably be more likely to let their guard down.
    Empyrial