Skip to content

So... My Workplace Increased Their Web Security and Blocked the BG Forum

MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
You know... because threads on when its best to dual-class and discussions on the sex life of Xvarts tend to pose a risk. Blah. Maybe they just want me to actually work. What will I do now? I guess there's always my cell phone but man... That gets maddening.

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    Melicamp said:

You know... because threads on when its best to dual-class and discussions on the sex life of Xvarts tend to pose a risk. Blah. Maybe they just want me to actually work. What will I do now? I guess there's always my cell phone but man... That gets maddening.

That's why I first bought an iPad. Well, not this forum, but same sort of thing!
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I hate it when your employer messes with your hobbies.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    You are supposed to be working when you're at work, don't you agree?
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243

Eh checking the forums a few times a day doesn't prohibit my productivity, believe me.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Shame you're not only checking them a few times a day then :p
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    I've read somewhere, that short breaks from work around 5-10 minutes after an hour or two of work, increase productivity.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Melicamp What you misconstrue as increased web security is actually chickenwire...

Chicken's aren't supposed to be able to use computers anyway... You tend to peck away the keys on the keyboard!

Now get back to work laying eggs, before we have to bring even more security such as my dog Norton...
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Same problem here!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    geselle said:

I've read somewhere, that short breaks from work around 5-10 minutes after an hour or two of work, increase productivity.

I've read somewhere that taking short breaks from the bg forums (around 5-10 mins) to work after an hour or two of browsing also increases productivity.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Malwarebytes has detected one severe threat. Quarantine werebear? Y/N
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694

Ah, come on! Where's the fun in that?! ;)
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    On one hand, I agree with @ZelgadisGW (my serious side would, that is). On the other hand, I also gotta agree with @geselle's comment. Working is a lot like studying. One should always take a short break every now and then to give the brains some air and the hands some rest. :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    That's the good side of being the owner... who will tell ME I can't discuss the sexuality of Xvarts in working hours? :)
    edited February 2013
    Wilbur said:

I hate it when your employer messes with your hobbies.

As a matter of federal law I get at least a 15 minute break every 2 hours (something about the Fight Surgeon's office saying air traffic controllers getting tired and sloppy after two hours without a break). So they tell us we can use government computers for our personnel use during break time; as long as the computer isn't needed for government use and we follow certain ethical guidelines. And then they block all the computers so they can only go to government sites. Gee thanks. A lot of smart phones, tablets, and lap top computers were sold in the first couple months after all of our work computers were castrated!
    Post edited by atcDave on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    @atcDave This kind of comment makes me think every government in the planet is insane and it's actually surprising we still have anything that resembles a civilization...
    mlnevese said:

@atcDave This kind of comment makes me think every government in the planet is insane and it's actually surprising we still have anything that resembles a civilization on the planet....

I can't really argue with that! Seriously, I've heard rumors (at uh, other facilities) of controllers smuggling iPads into the operating quarters because some commercial weather apps are better than what we can display on our radar. Really funny since WE'RE the ones reporting weather conditions that the NWS uses to compile its weather forecasts...

I love working for the government!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    I just use my iPhone in the rare moments at work that I have a little time to check emails, and then may relax for a moment to take a gander at the forums. It's much more appropriate than using the employer's computer. Come on now. ;P
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    How do you type Melicamp?.... wait, I think I know the answer!
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    Lemernis said:

How do you type Melicamp?.... wait, I think I know the answer!

*Peck* *Peck* *Peck*

Actually I tricked some Xvarts into thinking I'm a god, so they do that kind of thing for me :P

At the end of the day, work is work, though... The stress on work is especially apparent in my country, mainly due to the economical crisis. Many people can praise themselves for having a good and stable job right now. It kinda makes me afraid for when I get my degree in a couple of years and have to start looking for a job myself... :/
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    ...cant find ... simpson clip... where carl is removing a chicken and saying welcome back homer.... your replacement was getting tired... stupid youtube....
    You know what? This is a perfect time for a chicken invasion of the Internets. Go, @Melicamp! Call upon your feathered egg-laying brethren and march forwards to an undeniable victory of cyberspace! D:
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Yeah chickenman always bet on cellphone.
    Your situation bring tears to mine eyes.
    Talking about hostile workplace well where I work even using wifi requires app AND login which means they know exactly where you are and what i am doing, what a lousy big brother I am work for.
    Just get yourself a smartphone and use your cellphone company's internet connection during work to access sites. No hassle involved, although it might make your phone bill skyrocket in the long run. :/