Skip to content

Ring of Human Influence

Comments

• toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    I wouldn't mind if it was changed, but I don't find it necessary. However, it is in the same vein as gloves of dex/belt of strength/etc. Changing one might lead to (or should lead to) changing them all. I wouldn't mind that either, I just think they are all in the same category.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    toanwrath said:

I wouldn't mind if it was changed, but I don't find it necessary. However, it is in the same vein as gloves of dex/belt of strength/etc. Changing one might lead to (or should lead to) changing them all. I wouldn't mind that either, I just think they are all in the same category.

I'm kind of in the same boat, here. If you change one, you should change them all. That might suit my own playstyle, but I'm not prepared to say that it should definitely be done.
    toanwrath
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's a personal thing, mostly. If one item is going to be changed from its vanilla form to something that makes more mechanical sense, then I'd like the same change to be applied to all similar items, for the same reason (Gauntlets of Dexterity are useless on an elven archer, for example, despite the fact that an elven archer would be the person who would most want to make use of them).
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited February 2013
    We can´t use same treatment for Gauntlets of Dexterity, Gauntlets of Ogre Power and belts.
    It´s make that items more stroger, not weaker.

If i allready have stat 18 ( or bigger ) and get another +2 ( or 4 ) it will be to much OP.

Xavioriadarius404
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    I think it's an awesome suggestion to have the ring give say +2 to CHA instead of setting it at 18. For one it will make high CHA protagonists more interesting to play. Secondly it gives the ring more diversity. If you have a high CHA player, you can bump them up to 20 really early, for example.

It's a perfect solution. They have fooled with other items or at least their drops in BG EE. No reason it cant work here.
    I also STRONGLY disagree with people who say if you change the ring you have to change other items. There's no need for that. BG already has a mix of +stats and "set stat to X" items. There's no need to go all-in on one side.
    Edvindarius404
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    They could always just move it to a spot deeper in game
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    As long as they don't change Gauntlets of Dexterity in BG1, I'm golden. Lol.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @DinoDin I think the reasoning behind people asking to "go all in on one side" is the consistancy of it. It seems to me that the reason people want this done is probably for the fact that Charisma is basically useless anyways, and this ring being available makes it PROVEN to be worthless, especially if it's available so early in the game. I have ALWAYS been of the mind of using mods to alter certain in game items (like this one) and moving on with my life.

Now, giving it a "couple" points in charisma instead of jsut setting it to 18 would definitely make it more poiwerful (In my opinion anyways) because guess what! I started out with 18 charisma, got 19 from the book in the first game and NOW I HAVE 21!! LOOK! EVERYONE LOVES ME WHOOOO

but seriously, in the consistency aspect of it, the gauntlets of dexterity being changed would actually help the power gamers. Because now you can actually run around with (let's say) 23 dex, just by having those on. I'm really for either side. My only beef is that there aren't any fun belts. Most of the good ones just adjust strength...

WHERE ARE MAH FUN BELTS????
    a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Charisma is a dump stat because it doesn't do anything beyond reduced shop prices. The ring of human influence has nothing to do with it.

You can overcome a 3 charisma by simply putting someone else at the front of the party when shopping. And/or using the friends spell. When you take this into account, the ring of human influence becomes a minor convenience benefit, at the cost of losing a ring slot.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Edvin said:

We need new portraits for players who start with 3 charisma.
    And they will be forced to use them !

As long as the ring stays in the game untouched...

give me the proper sizes then please.
    edited February 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Oddly enough charisma is not just about appearance you know...

Yes, beauty is not only hight charisma but is it mainly hight charisma.
    Also we can´t remove most dialog options because CHARNAME charisma is 3 and his whole personality suck.
    But we can ( try ) force them using only ugly portraits.
    Rise again my beauty !

This ring must be change or destroy !
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Charisma is a neglected status on the game, as many others. Atm the only function of charisma is to get some better rewards and reactions into a very few selected number of quests and to keep your party togheter if your reputation get too far from the NPC alignment.

If They change the stat point system and make all the 6 work as they should do (based on PnP rules), ok i will Suport the idea. Otherwise, i don't care if they change or not.

Really hope someday the devs make inteligence/wisdom/charisma make a block/free talk options on the banters, make also some traps avoidable based on the dexterity of the person whom triggered it, make godly inteligence/wisdom status (19+) give the character/NPC the proper illusion/mind effect immunities.

Here's an old post started by @AndreaColombo that discuss more deply this issue:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/95/request-pnp-bonuses-for-high-int-and-wis-scores/p1

Here's the point of the discussion with an immunity table for int/wis:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/870/#Comment_870
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I used to get all annoyed that this ring was available so early. That and the glasses of identification. Now I'm just like whatever. If you don't like the ring don't pick it up or just sell it off.
    Wiggles
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I think the difference between the CHA ring and the DEX/STR equipment is that the times when CHA matters are 100% predictable, so you can basically only use it for selling things and get away with having 3 CHA for no penalty and no magical equipment being used. For DEX/STR, those pieces of equipment actively conflict with other possibilities for those slots during the times when DEX/STR come into play.

I do think that changing them all would be ELEGANT, but I also think that there's a clear categorical difference between the CHA ring and the DEX/STR stuff.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    elminster said:

I used to get all annoyed that this ring was available so early. That and the glasses of identification. Now I'm just like whatever. If you don't like the ring don't pick it up or just sell it off.</blockquote

This.

elminster
    edited April 2013
    You need only one guy ( preferably CHARNAME ) to get lower prices and ( if is ti CHARNAME ) few new dialog option or rewards. But that rewards aren´t extra handy. Then all what matter is lower prices in shops. One guy with high CHA = discount to all group members. It is like ring what set 18 CHA to whole group. That is wrong. High charisma is leaders privilege and this ring ruined it.

I suggest +2-4 to CHA or completely cut out this item.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Edvin said:

You need only one guy ( preferably CHARNAME ) to get lower prices and ( if is ti CHARNAME ) few new dialog option or rewards. But that rewards aren´t extra handy. Then all what matter is lower prices in shops. One guy with high CHA = discount to all group members. It is like ring what set 18 CHA to whole group. That is wrong. High charisma is leaders privilege and this ring ruined it.

I suggest +2-4 to CHA or completely cut out this item.

Yeah but you could always accomplish much the same thing even without the ring by just putting a high-CHA party member in lead when shopping or talking to people. If the ring provided a flat bonus, maybe 2-4 as you suggested, there's like half a dozen NPCs that would get around 18 with the ring equipped, more if you count mage NPCs who can cast Friends.
    TJ_Hooker said:

Yeah but you could always accomplish much the same thing even without the ring by just putting a high-CHA party member in lead when shopping or talking to people. If the ring provided a flat bonus, maybe 2-4 as you suggested, there's like half a dozen NPCs that would get around 18 with the ring equipped, more if you count mage NPCs who can cast Friends.

Yes but ring no longer made Ignus ( mad and ugly burning corpse with CHA 3 from Planescape Torment ) look and act like James Bond.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2013
    Edvin said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Yes but ring no longer made Ignus ( mad and ugly burning corpse with CHA 3 from Planescape Torment ) look and act like James Bond.
    Umm, yes, but Ignus and the Ring of Human Influence don't exist in the same game. Unless you're trying to point out that it's ridiculous that a ring could be capable of making such a difference on someone's charisma? Maybe so, but it's no different than the Gauntlets of Dexterity, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, the various belts of giant strength, etc.
    elminsterXzardarius404
    edited April 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

Umm, yes, but Ignus and the Ring of Human Influence don't exist in the same game. Unless you're trying to point out that it's ridiculous that a ring could be capable of making such a difference on someone's charisma? Maybe so, but it's no different than the Gauntlets of Dexterity, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, the various belts of giant strength, etc.

Is it more complex... ( And for me is it hard to explain with my poor english :D )

ALL characters need some strength, they need it to carry their stuff and bigger dmg.
    ALL characters need some dexterity, too low dexterity give you unpleasant armor penalty.
    Only ONE character need high charisma and you have item to set CHA to 18 even on begining.

Then nobody need charisma...
    TJ_Hookerdarius404
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Maybe there should be a cursed ring along similar lines: The Ring of Human Influenza...
    kamuizinWiggles