Skip to content

Will BGEE be available on steam?

Comments

• AzaneAzane Member Posts: 4
    Just signed in to add my voice.
    "No steam, no sale"
    I just want to keep my games in same place with convenient way.
    I don't want to add it on steam manually or update it manually.
    Because the reason I buy games is I want to enjoy them, managing lots of accounts and clients and handling updates obviously aren't enjoying them.
    And I don't care what other people said or how they think about not using steam.
    I just want to buy it on steam, simple and straight.
    No steam, no sale.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Azane said:

Just signed in to add my voice.
    "No steam, no sale"
    I just want to keep my games in same place with convenient way.
    I don't want to add it on steam manually or update it manually.
    Because the reason I buy games is I want to enjoy them, managing lots of accounts and clients and handling updates obviously aren't enjoying them.
    And I don't care what other people said or how they think about not using steam.
    I just want to buy it on steam, simple and straight.
    No steam, no sale.

Well said! Steam or no sale.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Why do you keep making accounts just to post in this thread?
    You don't need an account to read the forums, and from reading this topic, it's should be reasonable clear, that the game won't be on Steam.

Now, since you have chosen the position that you have, well, you won't be playing the game. Why bitch about it?
    Play something else then.

edited December 2012
    No steam = no sale = $0 income from steam users (currently more than 100 million)
    Steam = sold = $19 - a percentage to Valve > $0

Simple fact.
    Simple fact:
    The game won't be on steam.

Why don't you just accept that, and play something else if it's that much an issue?
  • enoch0oenoch0o Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2012
    I also use steam and have bought the majority of my games there.I wasn't prepared to use a second client like beamdog/origin, either.

So, I just downloaded the standalone launcher.Problem solved.

Wow, some people....
    Post edited by enoch0o on
    If BGEE isn't a commercial project and they make it just for fun, then you can ignore everything I said.
    But if they want to maximize profit, they'll need steam.

If they're satisfied with beamdog and don't want expand their market then it's fine, I respect their decision.
    But just like I said, no steam, no sale.

And you're right, I can always find another game to play.
    So I decide to play other games until they decide to make a steam version of BGEE.
    @Azane
    Good for you.
    Why don't you head over to the forums for the games you actually are gonna play then?
    Bytebrain said:

@Azane
    Good for you.
    Why don't you head over to the forums for the games you actually are gonna play then?

...Because Universal Declaration of Human Rights guarantees everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression?
    Sure, you're free to express yourself here.
    I just don't understand why...
    This thread is now multiple pages long. Every argument have been made, both pro and con Steam release. many times over.

What's the point?

It won't be released on steam.
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    Bytebrain said:

Sure, you're free to express yourself here.
    I just don't understand why...
    This thread is now multiple pages long. Every argument have been made, both pro and con Steam release. many times over.

What's the point?

It won't be released on steam.

Well, if a lot of people declare that they won't buy the game unless its on Steam, the developers may try to revise the contract and launch it on steam. Enough "pressure" could lead to it.
  • SkagiSkagi Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2012
    Azane said:

If BGEE isn't a commercial project and they make it just for fun, then you can ignore everything I said.

We all know thats not the case with BG EE, especially if you take into consideration they have DLCs planned for the future. I don't know why they ignore Steam or GOG, but this game is not "just for fun" if it was, it wouldn't cost 20$. Out of pure curiosity I would seriously like to see some numbers as to how many copies of BGEE they have actually sold in the past few days. Also bear in mind that Steam would also advertise their game, notice that not many notable gamesites reviewed BGEE - it doesn't help selling the game.
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I would like to have it on steam too, but I brought it anyway. You don't have to install a separate client to play the game.
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    Skagi said:

Azane said:

We all know thats not the case with BG EE, especially if you take into consideration they have DLCs planned for the future. I don't know why they ignore Steam or GOG, but this game is not "just for fun" if it was, it wouldn't cost 20$. Out of pure curiosity I would seriously like to see some numbers as to how many copies of BGEE they have actually sold in the past few days. Also bear in mind that Steam would also advertise their game, notice that not many notable gamesites reviewed BGEE - it doesn't help selling the game.
    Because Beamdog is not a good client and it needs exlusive games like this to survive...
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    It is written, "Everyone has a right to complain.....just don't expect anyone to actually care!"
  • mandellimandelli Member Posts: 1
    +1 more.
    BGEE on steam.

I hate manking accounts, new account, new headache.
    I did this one because I love the franchise and would love to buy the Enhanced Edition.

Thx all!
    see you never again.
  • DeltaslayerDeltaslayer Member Posts: 49
    Would buy again if they release it on Steam.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited December 2012
    Please.

What bugs me about this thread isn't the argument that a Steam release could bring in more sales - of course it could, but that's besides the point.

If you think Steam is the end-all, be-all platform for purchasing games, and if you're okay with that, and if you come here not only demanding that BG:EE is available in there before you part with your precious $20, but claiming that otherwise "it's invisible", let me tell you something:

1) you have poor knowledge about the market/the economy
    2) you advocate for monopoly, which reinforces point 1
    3) you are a self-absorbed prick

You should also get informed. BG:EE does not require you to install any client. Finding that out would take less time than signing up to this board.

If you have no regard for games you can't launch from your Steam client, that's your prerogative. Just don't embarrass yourself by patronizing not only Overhaul, but the entire community with catchphrases like "no Steam, no sale".

I can play the smart-ass game as well: how about you go out, get some fresh air, and unlock the "Not Fail At Life" achievement?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited December 2012
    Kilivitz said:

I can play the smart-ass game as well: how about you go out, get some fresh air, and unlock the "Not Fail At Life" achievement?

I keep trying to get that one, but I always fall short at the level where the guy at the counter tells you that he can't break a twenty...

Let's try to keep things civil, here. People who prefer using Steam are no different from people who prefer using Apple products or who only play games on XBOX 360. Let's not belittle or insult others simply because of their chosen method of consumption.

Personally, I would love to see the game receive a Steam release. I think the two would work well together. I'm not about to boycott the game until then (that would be a little weird), but I also can understand why a player wouldn't want to create another account for a website to purchase just one game.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Guess you could say I fall short by the time I decide to argue over the internet. Sorry about that.
  • red75primred75prim Member Posts: 1
    I would like to see this game on steam. Thank you.

Here's just one reason I prefer steam. Steam is the only content distribution point that allows completely secure payment (I get invoice, I decide whether to send money).
  • KymusKymus Member Posts: 17
    Considering that future games depend on the sales of this one, I think that being exclusive to beamdog is a really stupid marketing decision. I'd really like to see BG 2 and a BG 3, but clearly, there are a lot of people who choose to not buy this game because they want to have all their games in one place. Whether that's a good idea or bad idea is a matter of opinion, but I really don't think it can be ignored that this will lead to a loss of sales (of an as-yet unknown magnitude). At least the games is multi-platform; assuming that the releases for iOS and Android are good, that could help drive sales.
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    Anything that makes BGEE more accessible to a wider audience is fine by me. I want the developers to succeed, and if Steam sales could make or break future content possibilities, it seems like a clear decision to be made. At this point, I'm not sure if there is anything to lose by offering more avenues of distribution. I could be wrong though, I'm not too savvy on the in's and out's of the video game industry.
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2012
    While I am a fan of Steam (have way over 50 games installed), the "stand alone" BGEE downloader/auto-updater application is working MORE conveniently than Steam, for me.

Steam takes a while to start up -- as it goes online to check stuff. The BGEE stand alone installer (not talking about Beamdog Client) starts nearly instantly, gets me into BGEE as fast as the original BG interface (of years gone by), and tells me of updates immediately.

FWIW, I have nothing against the Beamdog Client -- merely that I'm not using it.
  • DrudenhausDrudenhaus Member Posts: 8
    The updater built into the standalone game works great. The only benefit of adding to Steam (for me personally) would be time logging and showing off that I own the game, neither of which are important to me.
  • SowingSadnessSowingSadness Member Posts: 85
    Azane said:

No steam = no sale = $0 income from steam users (currently more than 100 million)
    Steam = sold = $19 - a percentage to Valve > $0

Simple fact.

Simple fact. I have more 120 games in steam, and i hate it!
    If i does not have INTERNET Steam don't work. It's a bug 100 years ago.
    Now i prefer standalone installer or Origin, which using standalone installers.
  • piotresspiotress Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012
    Personally I have always hated Steam and their network managing software. I hate being forced to remain online when playing any game, hence the main reason I feel Diablo 3 sucked so much even though it is not a Steam game (I refer to the "forced to be online" feature).

I avoid buying games on Steam and if I have to the first thing I do is strip the Steam system out of the game even though you are not supposed to. If this game were only avaiable on Steam I would have just gone back to the original BG series and not bothered spening $20.00.

I hate any system that forces you to be connected to the internet when the game itself is not an MMO.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I won't say anything else about a steam release (I think it'll happen eventualy but its not a priority right now), (besides even on steam bgee would still update with the bgee.launcher) but if ppl want to express their desire to own the game on steam. Let them! Its their right and at least they want to buy it!
  • FrankieAFrankieA Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. I hate to also be one of those guys - but I'd also like to voice my support for Steam. Personally, it's just a matter of keeping all my game purchases in one place (steam library currently sits at over 160 games). But more generally, I'd love to have overhaul/beamdog see smashing success from this endeavour and I know getting this product on steam would probably be a huge plus for them - due to higher visibility on steam and the positive support that PC gamers have for steam at the moment.
  • MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2012
    I tried for a while to keep all games on steam but it is impossible for someone like me who wants to play games not available for it. I'm just not so attached that I would rob myself of enjoyment for a small level of convenience.

But if its available for steam I will buy it there first.