Skip to content

Will BGEE be available on steam?

1101112131416»

Comments

• Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    One does NOT have to be on-line to play a single player Steam game. Being on-line is an "option".

To play "off-line": Start Steam. Click the "Steam" in the upper left corner. Select "Steam/Go Offline". It should, in the future, start up in the "offline-mode" -- until you decide otherwise.

Still, the BGEE stand alone installer works a bit faster and does not have to be "toggled" back on line to look for updates.
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2012
    By the way, the fact that this thread has over 270000 views indicates a lot of interest in Steam (for better or worse). But, to repeat myself, I have no issue with the stand-alone installer (I'm using) or Beamdog.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Part of that number is because this thread's been here since June. ;)
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    Ok, so I've not read this entire thread, but I have read several pages now, and it seems that not everyone is on the same page here about how Beamdog works in regard to BGEE, so let me lay out a few simple questions that I hope someone can answer definitively which will clear up many issues.

1. Once you get the game from Beamdog, does it require some kind of online client to run (like steam)? Or is the game REALLY yours and will work even offline?

2. If you lose the game (say your HD fries), can you re-download it from Beamdog for free (like steam) or is that "tough luck" and you have to buy the game all over again.

I really like Steam because if you lose a game you always can get it back, but I hate the dependency on the client and being online (you can run offline but only for a bit). If BGEE is truly mine to do with as I please once purchased AND can be recovered if lost, I'm in. If it's not really mine (requires a client) or cannot be replaced, it's a dealbreaker.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited December 2012
    @Baptor
    Baptor said:

1. Once you get the game from Beamdog, does it require some kind of online client to run (like steam)? Or is the game REALLY yours and will work even offline?

You can download the game through Beamdogs Client OR a direct download installer, for the second option there is a very light DRM, which means you have to be online just for an installation verification and than you can go offline, unless you want to download patches/updates via the launcher of course.

+
    Twitter said:

16 Aug Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

If we ever go out of business we will patch the game and remove all DRM. From there you could copy it wherever you want.

Baptor said:

2. If you lose the game (say your HD fries), can you re-download it from Beamdog for free (like steam) or is that "tough luck" and you have to buy the game all over again.

Q: How many times can I download the game, either through the installer or through the Beamdog client?

A: YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE GAME AN INFINITE NUMBER OF TIMES. Feeling bored? Have extra bandwidth? Just delete the game and download it again, for fun!

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2011/pre-order-faq/p1

• MotokiMotoki Member Posts: 12
    The majority of the time I prefer to have my games on Steam for convenience sake to have them all organized. Before anyone screams 'monopoly!' I use Desura and am fine with that too. I just want a client to keep my constantly growing collection of digital games updated and organized, but I would prefer it consolidated in as few places as possible. ie I don't want to have to deal 1,000 clients for 1,000 games.

If REALLY want a game that simply is not available on Steam or Desura and I know it won't get tossed into the backlog I will buy it, but it's not my preference. I actually do own unenhanced BG from GOG.

If this enhanced version were released to Steam the convenience of having it there and attached to that account with all my other games would be enough of an incentive for me to rebuy it.

The enhanced features alone but having to rebuy it at yet another site and keep track of it there are not enough of an incentive for me.

This is just my opinion and personal preference. If someone else feels differently that is perfectly fine so let's keep this civil please. I know this Steam/no Steam issue causes a lot of back and forth nerdrage flame wars over the internet. I've seen it many times and am not trying to start any of that here.

I'd like to throw my voice in to those who humbly request the game be made available on Steam as an option noting that I would be willing to buy the game again if made available there.

Of course if that happened hypothetically it would still be available to buy through Beamdog for those who want to choose that option.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    I think the best option would be for Beamdog to wait until sales dwindle, and then put BGEE on Steam for a boost. Best for Beamdog, anyway.
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    @mch202
    mch202 said:

@Baptor

You can download the game through Beamdogs Client OR a direct download installer, for the second option there is a very light DRM, which means you have to be online just for an installation verification and than you can go offline, unless you want to download patches/updates via the launcher of course.

How do find this direct download? The only place I've found you can buy this game is from Beamdog and the BGEE website just links to Beamdog when you go there to buy it. Can you link to this "direct download" that doesn't require Beamdog?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Baptor said:

@mch202

mch202 said:

@Baptor

How do find this direct download? The only place I've found you can buy this game is from Beamdog and the BGEE website just links to Beamdog when you go there to buy it. Can you link to this "direct download" that doesn't require Beamdog?
    I'm not sure what you mean. Regardless of whether you get the client or just the installer, you still have to get the game from their website. For me I just sign in, go to the BG:EE page, and there's a big link saying "Install Now", which starts the download of the installer.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

I think the best option would be for Beamdog to wait until sales dwindle, and then put BGEE on Steam for a boost. Best for Beamdog, anyway.

This is what will happen. It's simply good business sense.

First they tap the pool of buyers who will buy direct from Beamdog, then after a period of time they will likely tap the Steam/GoG only buyers by releasing on other platforms. This maximises profits for Beamdog and eventually taps the whole market.

Steam/GoG will most likely get it, you'll just need to wait x months/years if you are unwilling to buy outside of these clients.

• chadwilsonchadwilson Member Posts: 1
    As someone who has already consolidated their games into Steam, I'm unwilling to purchase unless it hits the steam platform. I'd love to play, but I have too little time to manage X number of digital subscriptions/platforms.
  • piotresspiotress Member Posts: 10

As someone who has already consolidated their games into Steam, I'm unwilling to purchase unless it hits the steam platform. I'd love to play, but I have too little time to manage X number of digital subscriptions/platforms.

Your loss. :D
  • ArexArex Member Posts: 4
    Steam will often force indie titles to be Steam Exclusive in order for them to be sold through their service. This doesn't work with both Overhaul's need for multi platform functionality and their values (i.e. that of free distribution w/ no drm)
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    For those just wanting the game on Steam because they want access to all their games in Steam, I believe it's pretty easy to just add any game in Steam, regardless if its bought on Steam or not.

You could just launch Baldur's Gate from there, no problem.
  • Hawk_IrontuskHawk_Irontusk Member Posts: 1
    Bytebrain said:

For those just wanting the game on Steam because they want access to all their games in Steam, I believe it's pretty easy to just add any game in Steam, regardless if its bought on Steam or not.

Hey, that's cool. So then how do I use Steam to download BD:EE to my laptop after I add it to Steam on my desktop, because for me that's the main reason I want it on Steam. Being able to reinstall all of my games without hunting down install media is great.
  • DarkjaDarkja Member Posts: 2
    Baldurs Gate will definitely make it to Steam at some stage if not quite soon, as will BG2, Icewind Dale, Planescape etc. The interest the Enhanced Edition has created would have renewed interest in getting these games distributed to the masses. Wether the Enhanced Edition makes it to Steam before the original does is another topic altogether that the BGEE creators I'm sure would be aware of. Although I understand the method of staggering digital releases across different digital distributions to increase initial profit on investment (like pre ordering cash). I fear that by not releasing to Steam sooner rather than later, they are shooting themselves in the foot if the originals are released on Steam first.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited December 2012

Bytebrain said:

Hey, that's cool. So then how do I use Steam to download BD:EE to my laptop after I add it to Steam on my desktop, because for me that's the main reason I want it on Steam. Being able to reinstall all of my games without hunting down install media is great.
    Honestly, your blowing this way out of proportion.

It's easy:

1) Go to Beamdog's web page.
    2) Download the "Standalone Installer".
    3) Make a backup on whatever media you prefer, be it USB, hard disk or DVD. No need to "hunt it down" again.
    (Although a quick Google check for BG:EE would do the job if you should forget where to download the installer).
    4) Install the game, and make a shortcut to Baldurs.exe in Steam.

Done.

The first time, and only the first time, you install and run the game on a PC, it'll check if your purchase is legit, after that you're free to play offline as much as you want. That's the extend of the DRM in the game.

Of course, web access is needed if you want the game to check for updates regularly.
  • reVenAntreVenAnt Member Posts: 34
    Now BG:EE is available on Steam, if I'm not wrong...
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    It's on steam to all those that fussed for it to be on it. Now are all those people going to show appreciation for it on steam?
  • Berserk_AlucardBerserk_Alucard Member Posts: 24
    I never thought it would actually come to steam. I need the Intel chipset issue to be fixed so I can play the game (and potentially consider it on Steam as well)
    Pretty good to see it coming to Steam though! Lots of people will be introduced to BG:EE now.
  • WoodsieLordWoodsieLord Member Posts: 3
    It is dumbfounding how people label the convenience of Steam as fanboyism. I have 500+ games from Steam. If I want indies, I got my 50+ Desura library (most of which is redeemable on Steam). And if I'm dying for non-DRM, I just consult my 100+ GOG games. I really do not need a Beamdog (or Beambitch, going by how their supportive prepurchase customers are treated here on this forum), and only opted in because it was pretty clear that Beamdog was going to be the only channel through which the game is published.

Now, here are two MAJOR points Beamdog will likely never be able to replicate:

1- When I play games on Steam, my friends see me playing games on Steam. They see which games I play. My play time is logged. I get achievements. I get to share and track my playing habits. It creates and taps into a much bigger world. I belong to a community.

2- I'm perhaps too old and seasoned to not know not to count on any backup method that is not corporate grade. I don't know if Beamdog will be around in 5 years to redownload my game. I'm pretty sure Steam will be and I will be able to redownload my game even the publishers or developers of the game are no longer around to offer any kind of customer service whatsoever.

If you don't like or agree with any of these points, you can stop criticizing people who do. I paid 20 bucks months in advance to support a franchise that swore it would stay independent. Now I get to watch people buy it from Steam at the price I paid and play the game with the features I would have chosen to had I not been lied to.

Sort this mess out and stop trolling and mobbing, please. In order to get the same bang for my buck, I shouldn't even have to write this post after reading into lengthy posts detailing the internal workings of Overhaul and its publishers, let alone be treated like shit by the real fanboys here. It is none of my business. Those whose business it was are failing, bad.
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135

It is dumbfounding how people label the convenience of Steam as fanboyism. I have 500+ games from Steam. If I want indies, I got my 50+ Desura library (most of which is redeemable on Steam). And if I'm dying for non-DRM, I just consult my 100+ GOG games. I really do not need a Beamdog (or Beambitch, going by how their supportive prepurchase customers are treated here on this forum), and only opted in because it was pretty clear that Beamdog was going to be the only channel through which the game is published.

Now, here are two MAJOR points Beamdog will likely never be able to replicate:

1- When I play games on Steam, my friends see me playing games on Steam. They see which games I play. My play time is logged. I get achievements. I get to share and track my playing habits. It creates and taps into a much bigger world. I belong to a community.

2- I'm perhaps too old and seasoned to not know not to count on any backup method that is not corporate grade. I don't know if Beamdog will be around in 5 years to redownload my game. I'm pretty sure Steam will be and I will be able to redownload my game even the publishers or developers of the game are no longer around to offer any kind of customer service whatsoever.

If you don't like or agree with any of these points, you can stop criticizing people who do. I paid 20 bucks months in advance to support a franchise that swore it would stay independent. Now I get to watch people buy it from Steam at the price I paid and play the game with the features I would have chosen to had I not been lied to.

Sort this mess out and stop trolling and mobbing, please. In order to get the same bang for my buck, I shouldn't even have to write this post after reading into lengthy posts detailing the internal workings of Overhaul and its publishers, let alone be treated like shit by the real fanboys here. It is none of my business. Those whose business it was are failing, bad.

Most of all, everyone is using Atari as a scapegoat... funny because they just filed bankruptcy.... How will that affect those steam keys being distributed? Everyone is "go cry to Atari even though you made your purchase through Beamdog." This has been a HORRIBLE chain of marketing disasters.

The only positive side to this is that the customer service person I spoke to was in fact able to refund my money, and in a fairly timely manner. Thank you again Daniel. If his boss/es or supervisor/s see this give that man a promotion. :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited January 2013
    @Woo
    You're welcome. ;)

I know that a lot of words have been said about Atari being responsible for patches and steam keys. And really, that's still true. Atari made the decision to release the game on Steam, so it's up to them to deliver the patch that we've already sent to them. We're working on getting the keys from them as well, but that--like the patch--depends on their cooperation.

This isn't to say that Atari is dragging their feet. They're kind of busy with filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy at the moment, so delivering a bunch of steam keys and patches may not be at the top of their list of priorities.

The reason we say "Contact Atari" is because, at the moment, Atari is the only one who can do anything about it. So if you send a message to them, they might be able to give you your key--or at the very least, it will impress upon them how great the desire is among the players.

There isn't any real "bad guy" in this. Not Atari, not Steam, not Beamdog. It's just going to take time. For some people, that time is too much to ask; and that's understandable. Although we'd certainly rather you keep your Beamdog copy (support the developers!), we're not going to withhold from you a service (Steam) that, frankly, has been doing a pretty good job so far.

But if you can be patient, it will be better in the long run. For us, certainly, but also for the game itself. And if Atari sees that there are a lot of people who would rather activate their existing purchases than re-purchase the game, they might take the game a little more seriously when it comes to not only releasing activation keys but also when it comes to releasing patches through Steam. Which means a better product for you, and a better relationship with us.
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    Aosaw said:

@Woo
    You're welcome. ;)

I know that a lot of words have been said about Atari being responsible for patches and steam keys. And really, that's still true. Atari made the decision to release the game on Steam, so it's up to them to deliver the patch that we've already sent to them. We're working on getting the keys from them as well, but that--like the patch--depends on their cooperation.

This isn't to say that Atari is dragging their feet. They're kind of busy with filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy at the moment, so delivering a bunch of steam keys and patches may not be at the top of their list of priorities.

The reason we say "Contact Atari" is because, at the moment, Atari is the only one who can do anything about it. So if you send a message to them, they might be able to give you your key--or at the very least, it will impress upon them how great the desire is among the players.

There isn't any real "bad guy" in this. Not Atari, not Steam, not Beamdog. It's just going to take time. For some people, that time is too much to ask; and that's understandable. Although we'd certainly rather you keep your Beamdog copy (support the developers!), we're not going to withhold from you a service (Steam) that, frankly, has been doing a pretty good job so far.

But if you can be patient, it will be better in the long run. For us, certainly, but also for the game itself. And if Atari sees that there are a lot of people who would rather activate their existing purchases than re-purchase the game, they might take the game a little more seriously when it comes to not only releasing activation keys but also when it comes to releasing patches through Steam. Which means a better product for you, and a better relationship with us.

I contacted Atari very first day to inquire about steam keys, (16th) No response, on the 19th I contacted Beamdog support and had a reply in 2 hours, 3 days later everything was handled. Thanks again, and Atari is definitely biding time, etc