Skip to content

The rarest item IN THE GAME! Have you gotten it?

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
I hereby dub the Bolt of Polymorphing the rarest item in the game. This is due to the fact that the only way of getting it in the game is via a random drop (and a rare one at that) from certain creatures (such as ogre mage). What I want to know is have you have gotten this rare item over the course of your BG:EE experience. PLEASE ONLY COUNT YOUR BG:EE EXPERIENCE IN THIS POLL!!! I don't want you to vote yes if you got one in the original BG but not in BG:EE (but please do let me know if you did get any in the original). Since this is a simple yes or no question and not an opinion poll I will only include two options: Yes or No!
  1. The rarest item IN THE GAME! Have you gotten it?91 votes
    1. Yes! I have gotten a bolt of polymorphing in BG:EE! I am very lucky!
      39.56%
    2. No. I have not yet found a bolt of polymorphing in BG:EE. They must be quite rare!
      60.44%
Eudaemonium

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Yeah I've gotten it three times, twice in the original BG but once in BG:EE so I can still vote yes. ;)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2013
    I got one only once in BG:EE. When I was using the CLUAConsole to mass spawn Khark to test what scrolls he dropped. Out of over 100 of him I killed I only got one.

In the original however I have gotten about 7-10 (lost count) of them. I got 5 in a single playthrough once!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Doesn't the helm of opposite alignment also fit the criteria for the rarest item in the game?
    Phyrax
    @ajwz not by my criteria as it is a set item in a static encounter. In other words since it is in the exact same place in every playthrough it is not so much "rare" as it is "hard to get". The bolt of polymorphing has not been placed in any static encounter and only appears as a random treasure drop.

I kind of knew that people would argue about what the rarest item was but that was not my purpose in making this poll. You can go ahead and argue if you want so long as you answer my question. (I used the rarest item line as more of an attention grabber than a statement of fact.)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Wow, I didn't even realise it was so rare. I've been carrying one around on my Charname all game. I mean, I kinda got that there might only be 1 since I never found another, but I couldn't remember where I found it so i just assumed I got it from a set enemy. Didn't realise it was random.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I don't think I've ever seen one in all my playthroughs. Though I don't pay attention to bolts. I never use crossbows, and I either never pick up bolts or I just sell them. So I might have gotten one without knowing.
    ElendarDelvarian
    Tresset said:

I used the rarest item line as more of an attention grabber than a statement of fact.

I realise that, but I thought it was an interesting discussion anyway :p
    Tresset
    In the original game, wraith form (spell scroll) was probably the rarest.
    TressetAnduin
    ajwz said:

In the original game, wraith form (spell scroll) was probably the rarest.

@ajwz Well possibly. I think that it was completely removed in certain versions though so cheating was the only way to get it.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I've been through BGee three times (well, I'm getting near to the end of the third run now). I think I got the Bolt of Polymorphing every time - certainly this time, certainly one of the previous times, and I think the other previous time too.

So although it's a rare item, it hasn't seemed particularly hard to get, but maybe I've just been lucky. So far, however, I've never used it! I just tuck it away in my stash, thinking "maybe that'll be useful later", but I haven't yet found a situation where I've had the follow-up thought "aha, this is where I need that Bolt of Polymorphing!"

Wraithform in original BG1, though?? Never! I didn't even know it had been in the original game. Perhaps I had one of the editions from which it had been removed.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I may or may not have gotten it... I rarely pick up even magical bolts because I never use crossbows.
    Wraithform never functioned properly in the original (I think they scrapped it at some point during the development process) so in later versions they removed it as a drop. They must have forgotten to remove it before then.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    There are bolts of polymorphing in BG1?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I might of got it, but since I use crossbows so rarely in my play throughs , I don't remember it.
    I'm starting to see a rather disturbing pattern here.

Crossbows don't suck people.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    I've gotten one or two of them as a random loot drop.
    My F>T Charname uses staves and crossbows, with a side in longswords. I find her to be pretty darn effective.

She still saved that Bolt of Polymorphing for a rainy day that never came.
    [Deleted User]KidCarnival
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

My F>T Charname uses staves and crossbows, with a side in longswords. I find her to be pretty darn effective.

She still saved that Bolt of Polymorphing for a rainy day that never came.

A single bolt of ammo is also kind of inconvenient to use.

I ended up selling mine.
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    Found only one Bolt of Polymorphing, used it on a doppleganger.
    Noon
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    Elendar said:

I may or may not have gotten it... I rarely pick up even magical bolts because I never use crossbows.

I pick up any magical item i come across. At the very least I can usually sell the ones I don't use for extra gold
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I found several. In one run, I had 3 or 4 in my inventory, obviously no-one in my party was using crossbows. Now that I have a charname with crossbow, I found exactly one. We'll see whose name is written on it.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Sounds like a lot of people fit my description:

"Yes! I have gotten a bolt of polymorphing, but I have never used it."
  • GrakkelGrakkel Member Posts: 55
    Yup, got it, didn't know it was rare. I did try to use it on Drizzt, uh, accidentally.

Yeah, that didn't work.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The rarest item in the game is Boo...

I still haven't got him yet after repeated attempts.

When you kill Minsc he is not there... Must be hiding in a crevice...
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    Earlier today I voted no, not remembering seeing it. However this afternoon went and looked at the bolts Garrack had and there it was. Have no recollection where/how I picked it up.
    I've always found the arrow of ogre mage slaying to be peculiarly specific.
    ajwz said:

I've always found the arrow of ogre mage slaying to be peculiarly specific.

I kinda assumed it was meant for that guy at Firewine bridge. Krahk or something. He gives you 3500 XP, which isn't too shabby.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Can you recognize it in the loot bag at least, is it different from the other unidentified magical bolts ? I never pick bolts but if i spot one really different, i may be curious.