Skip to content

Your favorite class?

Comments

• TaylorTwerkTaylorTwerk Member Posts: 79
    Thieves skills need to be babysat more than any other class so deffinately thief espeicially in bg2 where there is no pure thief.
  • TaylorTwerkTaylorTwerk Member Posts: 79

Sniiiimon said:

Let's go over the results... the mages and sorcerers are still in the lead with most of the other classes a fair bit behind.

And then we have the monks, with only one vote. Good for you, @SamuelVarg. :)

And with my magic resistance I would kick the butts of those 52 mages.
    Don't worry Monk was my second choice. Unarmed un armored dammage machines!
  • XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    BG ain't hard if you're a bard.
  • LisaralinLisaralin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 258
    Mage.
    I've always been a spellcaster at heart :D Also when I play D&D mages/sorcerers are my absolute favorite!
    I like them because they are based on intelligence and do not rely on sheer muscular strength.
    And I like them because fireballs are the best XD
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    My most favourite class is Bard kitted as Blade. So many nice things you can micromanage! The arcane spells (cast at higher levels then ordinary mage, especially fun with Fireballs - Skull Traps beyond level 12 - and Chromatic Orbs), the offensive spins, the wide choose of weapons atop the Bhaalspawn powers every Charname has. And no need to have your mages occupy their slots with identify. Only thing I don't normally do is put my hand in someone else's pocket or steal from shops.

Fighter-Mage, the eternal counterpart of Blades, is favorite too. They play differently, but both are archaic fantasy characters, slinging spells and wielding swords at the same time.

Mages I like as well, but they're a bit more run-of-the-mill characters (see results), and I'd rather differ in opninion.

I dislike Fighter dualed to mage though, they feel like mages that are far too overpowered for lack of physical vulnerability, while still advancing as single class mage.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Used to be Thief because I originally played BG2 with a Swashbuckler, but I've grown into more of a meatheady Fighter guy.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    2 votes - The monks rule supreme!
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I love bards in general. My two best runs of BG1, however, were a BG:EE Wild Mage whose save file got corrupted at the start of the Catacombs and a BGT Fighter/Mage multi that overspecialized in ranged weaponry (I did eventually beat Sarevok legitimately on that save, but I lost basically everyone but myself, which since that included Imoen doesn't sit with me from a storytelling standpoint)
  • HvitrEbrithilHvitrEbrithil Member Posts: 36
    Hands down the Kensai. That motherf***** will chop everything to pieces in seconds once he has Celestial Fury.

(In BG1 & BGEE I found the Barbarian more useful though, with higher damage and better weapons at my disposal, but I still like the Kensai the most, also due to the massive damage he inflicts while under the effects of Kai and with his low Thac0)
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @HvitrEbrithil - yes. The Barbarian can be interesting in terms of survival and damage potential. But also, a bit boring as you don't do anything else, just hack everything to pieces with a weapon of choice. + occasionally pop rage.
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    oh..
    cannot choose the only
  • HvitrEbrithilHvitrEbrithil Member Posts: 36
    Southpaw said:

@HvitrEbrithil - yes. The Barbarian can be interesting in terms of survival and damage potential. But also, a bit boring as you don't do anything else, just hack everything to pieces with a weapon of choice. + occasionally pop rage.

Agreed! But I like the simplicity of it ;) On the other hand, I had a real fun time soloing BGII with a Kensai/Mage for the variety, that was a really fun class to play! All the complexity of the mage, but in addition to possibility to hack most foes to pieces, especially easier not-so-challenging enemies.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    I like druids.

(I felt like bringing this thread back from the dead :D)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited July 2013
    In a modded game? Oozemaster all the slimy way~! May the pudding wrath and jelly fury of Ghaunadaur crush all non-protozoas! Although playing one of his amorphite specialty priests from the Faiths of Faerûn Kitpack could prove to be even more enjoyable than the oozemaster kit.

If I had to choose from vanilla classes I'd still vote for druids. The avenger is especially lovely with his adorable monster shapes.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Sorry, but arcane casters rule supreme.
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    edited July 2013
    Fighters!! ... Kensai either pure with a halberd or dual wielding dualed to mage, ... and the majestic trio of wizard slayers in my current party who, eventually through heretical magic(simulcrum) will become 5 wizard slayers, the pair with Carsomyr are gonna rock so hard!

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    Overall I'd have to say that mages are my favourite. I love the scholarly archetype.

Blades and avengers tie for second.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Swashbuckler, gotta be the dashing rogue with a snarky attitude :)
  • SheikhSheikh Member Posts: 26
    Ranger. I find them to be badass. I am fond of fighters, but this class also has just the right flavor addition.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    multiclass all the way
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    I love bards....but sadly...Bioware does not, and they suffer a lot of undue hate because of it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sick_BoySick_Boy Member Posts: 20
    Sorcerer/Mage just because they are the most powerful class lol
  • Thief_Of_NavarreThief_Of_Navarre Member Posts: 26
    Cleric/Ranger. You get free two weapon fighting, full BAB, full casting (both cleric & druid spells) and a legitimate reason to use bludgeoning weapons (your restricted to them).

I do like the stalker as far as kits go though.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited August 2013
    From a Baldur's Gate standpoint I love the flexibility of the bard. I used to play paladins a lot but they're nowhere near as much fun. From a general FR D&D perspective I'm totally into the Helmite Bulwark specialty priest; in essence more like the paladin class but with access to all the priest spells, what's not to love? I should say I can never quite bring myself to part with Aerie from a party because her Priest / Mage multiclass is so useful!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I always play a paladin. In fact, I always play the same paladin: a rather naive young lady called Hope. (She's naive because it allows me to have Xzar and Montaron in the party at the start and later on to believe that Edwin really isn't all bad)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Mage or monk, can't really decide.. but the monk seemed like it could use the vote.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Blackguard turned me over to the Paladin side of the Force.
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    Thief it is! Either the assasin kit or multiclassed as a fighter/thief, cleric/thief or mage/thief. I play all of the classes as a thief with special abilities. I love how versatile it is, and useful in many situations, boh combat and non-combat.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    While I've tried most of the other classes and kits, I always come back to playing a Necromancer. She's not interested so much in creating or controlling undead as she is with the arcane mastery of the forces of life and death. If she were to have a kit from 2nd edition, it would the Philosopher Necromancer from the "Complete Book of Necromancers." I think it ties in well with her upbringing in Candlekeep, as I can imagine her discovering obscure tomes of necromancy in the recesses of its library and spending long hours poring over the texts, eventually finding a scroll of Larloch's Minor Drain.