Skip to content

Explain your profile picture.

dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
I'll start. Listening to recordings of the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra's "Simply Baroque" albums featuring Ton Koopman and Yo-Yo Ma (basically popular Bach pieces transcribed for cello and Boccherini cello concerto pieces) has inspired the dramatic and grand baroque painting that I have chosen (a still-life featuring drink and the reminder of the passage of time...both of which I am enjoying at the moment).

I usually sync my computer, phone, and now Baldur's Gate profile picture, with the same background. Drinking and passing time in a self-created, dramatic, and exuberant manner is my current...Dasein, for lack of a better term.

:)

EDIT: the painting is Christian Berentz, Still-Life. Oil on canvas. For anyone curious (date unknown).

EDIT2: I have since changed my profile picture.
Post edited by dstoltzfus on

Comments

• CzarnyCzarny Member Posts: 42
    Loving the Berentz piece and loving the fact that you appreciate fine arts. For me, well, it's Xykon from a widely known and critically acclaimed comedy/adventure webcomic with a backdrop of D&D mechanics, Order of the Stick. He's a sorcerer lich and a very memorable villain with a very bad memory for PC names and faces :) Pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here, though ;) OotS is very well known in these circles.
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    @Czarny, yay fine arts fan (a hard thing to come by). I am a dabbler in the community, so I have not heard of the Order of the Stick. I will look though :).
  • CzarnyCzarny Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    @dstoltzfus Hey, it'd be great if you did :) If you look past the visually unimpressive and yet strangely appealing stick figure drawing style it might get you hooked ;)
    As for fine arts, my personal interests go a bit farther back (I'm a sucker for ancient and medieval art history and material culture) than the more modern fine arts, but I try not to discriminate against most kinds of beauty :)
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Edwin.
    @Czarny, I am a fan of web comics (especially depressing and vulgar ones), so I'm sure it'll be good. I am a fan of a lot of fine arts: from Renaissance music to the Romantic (The most Renaissance painting that I really can get into is Durer; as an atheist though, I can easily appreciate sacred art, but a lot of pre-Baroque era painting is simply *too* sacred for me to like. Music-wise, not knowing Latin or French helps with much Renaissance sacred music :). Non-painting visual arts [e.g. sculpture, architecture] are another thing).
    @Kaltzor, a very useful PC portrait. I have always disliked Edwin's personality though...even my evil PC's have a hard time accepting him.
    @EntropyXII, very nice. Is that scar made for the character or yours? I wish that I could paint. Assassin is definitely a favorite class of mine (though Neutral Evil, LE is so hard to play).
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    edited May 2013
    These guys at the Metal Slug series are soo cool! I love the martians! They scream, they burn, they have one hell of a boss!
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited May 2013
    For the character. I tried to replicate the BG2 portraits as best I could and many have fresh cuts and gashes. It didn't look right without the scar xD

I find Lawful evil easy to play really. It would be easier to hide your motives and be clever with your conversation options by staying lawful or to a particular code. A lot of fun though.
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @dstoltzfus - and thanks for the nice comments. You can find more of my work in the 'Fan Creations' section of these forums if you're interested.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Same as @TheCoffeeGod
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Logo/mascot of the engineering society at my university. His name is Phil.
    @OneAngryMushroom, with an apparently bipedal, mammalian body...
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    @dstolzfus
    a myconid IS a half-human half-mushroom person.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It's a hamster, but not a real hamster.
    I think it may actually be a gerbil pretending to be a hamster, but I digress,
    I'll attempt to explain why it is my profile picture
    Which I don't think I can do but I will try
    Hamsters (a very important hamster) was a key quirk in the bg saga.
    I lilke quirky things in stories/games. Makes both the story and quirk memorable.
    I wanted to express this without going to cartoony or real and settled for this guy.
    I'll go with that.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    These dopplegangers are everywhere I tell you! It is getting to the point where even I, Elminster Aumur - the Sage of Shadowdale, have to spook them off from time to time.
    @OneAngryMushroom, fair enough; I didn't actually look to see what a myconid was. I saw Myc- and thought mycelium I think...
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Baldur's gate magic symbol. I like those.
    edited May 2013
    @LadyRhianIn, Stoker's original Dracula, Dracula can walk about in the daylight with no issue. The Sunlight thing is a later adaptation (one for film from the book, if I remember correctly...30's?), Also, i have heard that the Welsh are very...peculiar people... :)

EDIT: name-droppin'
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Cameron (Summer Glau) from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Really, why not have a hot terminator for a profile picture?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Well, since my name here is Kitteh_On_A_Cloud, I tend to use kittens and cats as my profile picture. I still have to find a good picture of an actual cat on a cloud, though. Also, I'll likely become a crazy cat woman when I'm old anyway. :p
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Mine is a drawing from a picture book I made at art-school, of a folk tale, Selshamurinn (The Seal-Skin). Also, I love seals (but not Seal).

The story is about a fisherman who finds a seal skin by the sea shore and takes it home, later he returns to the sea and finds a woman there, lost. He takes her home and has children with her. She longs for the sea and one day she finds the sealskin that her husband found, her sealskin, that she cast off one day to walk on the land. She puts on the skin and goes back to the sea and her first children (seal pups, yay!) but cannot be truly happy, leaving her human children and husband, on land.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I am laharl
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Sergeant Arch Dornan from Fallout 2. We're not to question his orders.
  • KerthalKerthal Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    Yu Narukami from Persona 4 (vanilla or The Golden), a really interesting JRPG on the PS2 and the PS Vita.
    You can choose any name when starting the game but since Persona 4 was adapted into an anime, I prefer to keep the "official" name (I used the name he had in the manga before).