Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 2)

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited June 2013
    Since stronghold questions seem to be being answered - what will you do about blackguards for their strongholds? It doesn't make much sense for them to join the paladins -.-
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited June 2013
    questions, questions...

sorry if some have been asked befor i may have missed it. I also apologise if these are phrased badly

1.How long do you intend to support BGEE and later BG2 EE for ?

2. do your contractual limitations regarding new content for original characters apply outside of the game in which they initialy appear? e.g could BG1 only characters like Alora or Shar-teel be added to BG2, could BG2 characters be in used in a possible BG3 (im realy curious about this one)

3. are we likely to see more new classes in the future?

4. will bg2 feature more original music?

5. will we see more original chatracter portraits? (if yes halflings please)

6. how succesful has BGEE been?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @ajwz they said blackguards would be getting fighter stronghold
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

@ajwz they said blackguards would be getting fighter stronghold

De'Arnise Keep? Really? Because that place doesn't strike me as Evil Central...
    Aedan
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    edited June 2013
    @shawne The imposing stone castle with people crucified on the path leading up to it's front door doesn't strike you as evil?

Anyway, my question; While we now know Unfinished Business can't be included, what about parts of it? Specifically, parts of UB were restoring content by fixing scripting errors preventing events from occurring, NPCs from spawning or dialogues from triggering. Can these fixes (or similar ones done by Beamdog) be implemented?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    edited June 2013
    Anton said:
    However those threads are archived now and unable to be commented on.

As this is a question thread ill pose it as such:

Would it be possible to see a "rebalancing" patch in the future that might include a number of bug fixes? Examples might include:
    - Can only cast Druid spells in Druid armour
    - R/C only gets ranger spells and cleric spells
    - Grandmastery more consistent (GM on a level 2 assassin dualed to 3 fighter is not consistent).
    - duration of cleric kit specials fixed (preferably to 10 rounds+1 round per level past 10th)

And some general balances to make some kits more interesting to play:
    - improved offensive and defensive spin available for blade (at level 12ish)
    - whirlwind available for blade and swashbuckler
    - shapechange scaling with level for Druid, Shapeshifter and Avenger (or just incorporate mainhand weapon into form?)
    - a summoning HLA for Beast Master
    - some warrior HLAs for Shapeshifter (hardiness and critical strike maybe?)
    - maybe look at "Rogue Rebalancing" mod
    - Wizard Slayer able to use magic items that combat magic (like MR boosting ones)
    - Bard Song and Turn Undead easier to use without micromanagement
    - Maybe change or add to Beast Master kit to resemble the 3e iteration here: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Beast_Master_(3.5e_Prestige_Class) such that it's a kit about a bond with a specific animal rather than just summoning meat shields
    - allow additional multiclassing and dual classing options like: mage/druid, ranger/druid, fighter/mage/druid, druid/thief and allow dualing into kits as long as the first class is vanilla

Post edited by Wowo on
    Grieg
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 872
    Will the avenger's unique forms, especially the sword spider, be 'upgraded' to their original BG2 versions in BG2EE? (I assume that the answer is 'yes' since familiars will be 'upgraded,' but it would be nice to have confirmation of this.)

Thanks for your earlier answers, Dee!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    Wowo said:

[spoiler]

Anton said:
    However those threads are archived now and unable to be commented on.

As this is a question thread ill pose it as such:

Would it be possible to see a "rebalancing" patch in the future that might include a number of bug fixes? Examples might include:
    - Can only cast Druid spells in Druid armour
    - R/C only gets ranger spells and cleric spells
    - Grandmastery more consistent (GM on a level 2 assassin dualed to 3 fighter is not consistent).
    - duration of cleric kit specials fixed (preferably to 10 rounds+1 round per level past 10th)

And some general balances to make some kits more interesting to play:
    - improved offensive and defensive spin available for blade (at level 12ish)
    - whirlwind available for blade and swashbuckler
    - shapechange scaling with level for Druid, Shapeshifter and Avenger (or just incorporate mainhand weapon into form?)
    - a summoning HLA for Beast Master
    - some warrior HLAs for Shapeshifter (hardiness and critical strike maybe?)
    - maybe look at "Rogue Rebalancing" mod
    - Wizard Slayer able to use magic items that combat magic (like MR boosting ones)
    - Bard Song and Turn Undead easier to use without micromanagement
    - Maybe change or add to Beast Master kit to resemble the 3e iteration here: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Beast_Master_(3.5e_Prestige_Class) such that it's a kit about a bond with a specific animal rather than just summoning meat shields
    - allow additional multiclassing and dual classing options like: mage/druid, ranger/druid, fighter/mage/druid, druid/thief and allow dualing into kits as long as the first class is vanilla [/spoiler]

Your suggestions should really be made in an official feature request or multiple feature requests. Otherwise this thread is just going to turn into one gigantic feature request thread. Also as the person who made that poll I've got to say it really doesn't make any sense to change anything about the cleric/ranger 15 years after that benefit was first introduced. Especially given that among those polled (relatively small number that it was) the no's won.
    Malicron said:

@shawne The imposing stone castle with people crucified on the path leading up to it's front door doesn't strike you as evil?

Sure, it's got the look, but aren't the quests of that particular stronghold designed to keep your peasants happy and stay popular as a ruler? I can't see a blackguard dealing with maids and suitors and moneylenders...
    MetallomanelminsterTJ_Hooker
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Can you make a video of the ipad performance with your new renderer in its current state?
  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    edited June 2013
    How works soundsets for animations? (NOT FOR CHARACTERS)
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    Dee said:

We don't operate on assumptions, unfortunately.

Not sure about that. You operated on the assumption that the art assets could be obtained...the assumption was wrong and you still acted. ;)

• GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398

Dee said:

Not sure about that. You operated on the assumption that the art assets could be obtained...the assumption was wrong and you still acted. ;)

photo FG__S03E01_The_Thin_White_Linermvb_snapshot_0559_20110111_232429.jpg
    elminsterKilivitzMalicron

Dee said:

Are you familiar with the term "Don't tug on Superman's cape?"
    Kilivitz
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited June 2013

Aaaaaand the Baldur's Gate Forums Spring 2013 Award for Achievements in Logical Fallacy goes to...
    Thunder
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited June 2013
    1. Steam version has any possibility or plan to support Workshop ?

2. Will Alt + F4 function work in the future ?

3. Will it has any plan for Weather / Water effects improve ?

4. After next patch launch , Do we still have any other patch before BG2-EE launch,

Post edited by darrenkuo on
    @GodKaiserHell @Malicron @Kilivitz

All trying to be clever - all missed my winky face. Shame on you. ;)
    elminster
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

@GodKaiserHell @Malicron @Kilivitz

All trying to be clever - all missed my winky face. Shame on you. ;)

We assumed it was a nervious tick.
    More assumptions. lol
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Does the upcoming renderer perchance make monster lasses prettier, cuter, or both? ;)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm going to drop this link here, since it will answer a lot of questions that so far we haven't been able to answer: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19376/announcement-baldur-s-gate-enhanced-edition-has-been-temporarily-removed-from-sale#latest

I'll also paste the FAQs from the baldursgate.com website, since they likely address some additional concerns:

I have already purchased Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from Beamdog or the Apple App Store. Will I still be able to download and play my game?
    Yes. If you have already purchased Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from Beamdog or the Apple App Store, you can still download and play your game.

Why is all of this happening? What caused this issue?
    We are unable to discuss details of the complex legal matters surrounding this issue at this time. Please be aware that we are extremely unhappy with the situation and are doing our best to work past it. We have put a lot of hard work into this series, and are eager for fans to see it.

When will Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition be available again?
    Unfortunately, we cannot offer the game for sale until all issues with our publishing partner have been resolved. We do not have a specific date for when the game will be available again.

What is in the next Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch?
    The next Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch features:
    - An updated user interface that allows for high-resolution scaling and transparency.
    - A new renderer featuring enormous performance improvements, and compatibility enhancements for Intel graphics chipsets.
    - A new font system for sharper, clearer text.
    - Full German language support, including new German VO for the expanded content.
    - Subtitles in movies.
    - Over 135 gameplay fixes and enhancements.
    We are unable to release this patch until all issues with our publishing partner have been resolved.

What's the status of Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition?
    We have been developing Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition for some time now, but until all issues with our publishing partner are resolved we cannot officially announce or offer this game for sale. This has resulted in significant amounts of wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the development team.

What's the status of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android?
    We cannot offer the game for sale until all issues with our publishing partner have been resolved.
    Aedan
    edited June 2013
    What just happened? First the game goes on sale now the faucet gets turned off?
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Well, bollocks.
    [Deleted User]
    What on earth...?

I have a very bad feeling that this might have something to do with the Atari bankruptcy - has someone else bought the rights to BG?
    edited June 2013
    shawne said:

What on earth...?

I have a very bad feeling that this might have something to do with the Atari bankruptcy - has someone else bought the rights to BG?

Near as I can figure from the web, Atari is going to auction off it's assets franchise by franchise

"Atari's minimum bids for the July auction - assuming it sells everything - total almost $22.2 million. The minimum bid for the Atari brand is set for $15 million, $3.5 million for the Rollercoaster Tycoon franchise, $1.5 million for Test Drive, and a paltry $250,000 for the hit RTS game franchise Total Annihilation... If the court gives Atari approval, it will hold the auctions between July 16 and July 19."

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/05/23/atari-seeks-permission-hold-asset-auctions-july-bankruptcy-court#.UcIm8pyOnns

So maybe they can't do anything with Baldur's Gate until a new buyer is found?
    JuliusBorisov

Near as I can figure from the web, Atari is going to auction off it's assets franchise by franchise

"Atari's minimum bids for the July auction - assuming it sells everything - total almost $22.2 million. The minimum bid for the Atari brand is set for $15 million, $3.5 million for the Rollercoaster Tycoon franchise, $1.5 million for Test Drive, and a paltry $250,000 for the hit RTS game franchise Total Annihilation... If the court gives Atari approval, it will hold the auctions between July 16 and July 19."

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/05/23/atari-seeks-permission-hold-asset-auctions-july-bankruptcy-court#.UcIm8pyOnns

So maybe they can't do anything with Baldur's Gate until a new buyer is found?

Atari don't have sole ownership of BG, though - as far as I know, it's split between them, WotC, BioWare, Demogorgon's mother and whoever else owns a piece of the franchise.

Then again, if their minimum bids are going as low as $250,000... hell, maybe Beamdog could snatch up that pie piece themselves. But the realist in me tends to doubt it.

Very troubling news all-around - I suppose all we can do is wait and hope for the best.
    If even one of the owners of Baldur's Gate decides they don't like the idea of an Enhanced Edition, it's dead. So if Atari's portion of ownership is in question, Beamdog's contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on; whoever buys it can kill the EEs on a whim, as they're not bound by a contract signed by a defunct company.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There's no real risk of that, thankfully. Just bear with us; we're working to get this matter resolved as quickly as possible.
    TaylorTwerk
    I think I speak for just about everyone on this forum when I ask:

Is there anything we can do to help? As Don Matrick recently learned, hell hath no fury like a raging fanbase...
    Dexter
This discussion has been closed.