Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 2)

Comments

• DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    This game is beyond perfect and the fact that I can play it on my mac is even better. Honestly if there was anything I or anyone else could do to help, we would. The problem is Atari always tends to ruin many things. I really don't get them. Even bioware has more of a moving on mindset to them. They even said they made Dragon Age as a spiritual successor to BG, which is cool. Still I can never play Dragon Age or any of their games because A-I don't like console gaming (2 red ring bs), and B-None of my computers will ever be able to play any of their games.
    By the way, does anyone know if Wisdom, intelligence and constitution have any other hidden benefits that I might not know about. Ive read that having a high intelligence gives more saves against certain spells. Can anyone back that up as I want to make another character.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2013
    DKnight said:

By the way, does anyone know if Wisdom, intelligence and constitution have any other hidden benefits that I might not know about. Ive read that having a high intelligence gives more saves against certain spells. Can anyone back that up as I want to make another character.

Depends on which benefits you do know about. Intelligence allows you to take more damage from a mindflayer's intelligence-draining attacks, but that only comes into play in BG2. Wisdom will allow you more and better options when using the wish spells, but that also only comes into play in BG2. A very high constitution (20+) will allow you to regenerate health.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    Neither a high wisdom nor a high intelligence give you better saving throws vs spells. The only stat that can do that is constitution and that is only the case for dwarves, gnomes, and halflings with 4 or greater constitution (you can see the chart for that here).
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473

@Grammarsalad - I've been thinking of drawing up a list of externalization that have been implemented once the patch is released. If I find the time...

So, does this confirm the patch will be released and thus the contract issues are (almost) solved?
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    No, you're reading too much into that comment.
    LiamEslerMalicronrathlordTJ_Hooker
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473

No, you're reading too much into that comment.

Well, maybe. But I think he would have chosen different words if it was more uncertain.

• FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    @Headbomb - "Trent showed up at the office cosplaying a Pit Fiend and scarred the crap out of the devs, telling them he would eat their souls and crap them as dretches unless they churned out a release candidate by some upcoming deadline" -- almost fell out of my chair, that is friggin' hilarious.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Well, this thread seems to have dried up pretty quickly. Nothing more to say? No news to report? No information to share? Are we to infer that nothing has happened in the month since this mess started?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited July 2013
    shawne said:

Well, this thread seems to have dried up pretty quickly. Nothing more to say? No news to report? No information to share? Are we to infer that nothing has happened in the month since this mess started?

Yes. There is nothing to report yet.
    Post edited by Jalily on
    elminsterGodKaiserHell
  • BoinkerBoinker Member Posts: 8
    Just noticed interesting thing.
    You can actually roll a 1 inteligence half-orc.
    Some spells(like charm) note that they work only on chars with int higher than two.
    Does that make my half-orc fighter immune to those spells?
    Boinker said:

Just noticed interesting thing.
    You can actually roll a 1 inteligence half-orc.
    Some spells(like charm) note that they work only on chars with int higher than two.
    Does that make my half-orc fighter immune to those spells?

Which charm spells specifically are you seeing this for?
    Hmm... Sorry. Memory lapse. Charm doesn't have this. But lvl 1 "spook" have it for certain. And I seem to remember, that I've seen such text on some other spell, though can't remember which one.
    TJ_Hooker
    edited July 2013
    I think thats just a misprint in game. From what I can tell there is no requirement like that listed in Near Infinity. Plus I think you'd be hard pressed to find an enemy in game with intelligence that low. Even jellies have 9 intelligence (and Ogres vary between 7 and 16).
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    elminster said:

I think thats just a misprint in game. From what I can tell there is no requirement like that listed in Near Infinity. Plus I think you'd be hard pressed to find an enemy in game with intelligence that low. Even jellies have 9 intelligence (and Ogres vary between 7 and 16).

I'm 100% certain I saw this in rules text for some spells as well. Not sure which, off hand, but it's certainly in the game. If it's not true it should be bug reported. Someone who can play multiplayer should try rolling a 1 intel PC and have a friend try to cast some of these spells at them.
    Damn, Shadowdancer class is buggy and awesome. The tip says you don't get backstab X3 until lvl 9. I got it at lvl 5 like usual, lol. I wonder if this will go up more than that. If it does, then your talking about the best thief class in the game.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2013
    @DKnight I think Shadowdancer's (erroneously) have the same backstab progression as normal thieves, so you'll be at x4 at level 9.
    edited July 2013
    rathlord said:

elminster said:

I'm 100% certain I saw this in rules text for some spells as well. Not sure which, off hand, but it's certainly in the game. If it's not true it should be bug reported. Someone who can play multiplayer should try rolling a 1 intel PC and have a friend try to cast some of these spells at them.
    Edit: Tested it and I was able to get a barbarian (in this case) with 1 intelligence spooked. I will upload images here shortly.

[Deleted User]MalicronChow
    Finished BG. Did Black Pits. The thing is, I WANT MOAR. Is there some decent modules compatible with BG:EE?
    DKnight
    I've added a mention of spook (pg 69 in manual) to the manual discrepancies thread (and brought up the fact that it is in the in-game description as well). http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6819/manual-discrepancies .
    rathlordMalicron
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Boinker said:

Finished BG. Did Black Pits. The thing is, I WANT MOAR. Is there some decent modules compatible with BG:EE?

@Boinker - You should be able to import your PC into Baldur's Gate II. Of course, its not BG2:EE. :-)

Malicron
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629

Boinker said:

@Boinker - You should be able to import your PC into Baldur's Gate II. Of course, its not BG2:EE. :-)

You'll need to resize/replace your portrait, but otherwise I can say from experience that you can import characters without a problem.
    thx for suggestion, but i decided to wait to BG2:EE
    New NPCs and quests are really good in BG:EE. I'd like to see new content in BG2 as well.

Meanwhile, I will try to go no-reload solo run of BG.)
    But I need to fix bow APR for it to be viable... Are there any hotfixes fixpacks for it? I can't find them, saddly.
  • BarzarelBarzarel Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2013
    Given things get solved and patches keep pumping there a chance we could get to choose our geared appearances a bit more in customizations in future patches, I feels silly that as fighter made I either get to have a unequipped cloth look or one in a elven chain, why can I not have the equipped arch mage robe look as multi-classes fighter/mage. Or they divided or split in some way that one can only have the appearance of one the categories technically?

Edit: Just wondered since I recall right one can see Ariel in BG 2 wearing robes as dual class Cleric/mage, so should be possible within the engine I would have thought.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2013
    Barzarel said:

Given things get solved and patches keep pumping there a chance we could get to choose our geared appearances a bit more in customizations in future patches, I feels silly that as fighter made I either get to have a unequipped cloth look or one in a elven chain, why can I not have the equipped arch mage robe look as multi-classes fighter/mage. Or they divided or split in some way that one can only have the appearance of one the categories technically?

Edit: Just wondered since I recall right one can see Ariel in BG 2 wearing robes as dual class Cleric/mage, so should be possible within the engine I would have thought.

I know there is a mod for original bg/bg2 that changed your character's paper doll based on the armor you put on.... so for instance a fighter donning a robe of the archmagi gets the full robe and hood look and not just a tunic color change.

I am not sure that mod works with bgee though but maybe the modders could update it for compatitiblity if it doesnt?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Nic_Mercy said:

I know there is a mod for original bg/bg2 that changed your character's paper doll based on the armor you put on.... so for instance a fighter donning a robe of the archmagi gets the full robe and hood look and not just a tunic color change.

They would also suddenly grow a beard, unfortunately.

What I tend to do when I want a multi/dual class character look a certain way is I alter their appearance in Shadowkeeper and/or use NearInfinity to create a potion to do it. It only needs to be done once.
    [Deleted User]
  • DeathOfNamesDeathOfNames Member Posts: 40
    It's called the Avatar Morphing Script i believe, and it's part of the BG2Tweaks mod from G3 (which is compatible with BG:EE)
    Malicron
  • LanfearLanfear Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    BG2 EE: Please put in the quests that the original game cut.
    -Like the door where you need a rogue stone to enter. Was a quest around that, people found dialogue in raw files.
    Lanfear said:

BG2 EE: Please put in the quests that the original game cut.
    -Like the door where you need a rogue stone to enter. Was a quest around that, people found dialogue in raw files.

Personally I like the idea of leaving that encounter as is. It adds to the mystery.
This discussion has been closed.