Skip to content

[Announcement] Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been temporarily removed from sale.

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited June 2013
    Well... could at least "someone" bring an "similar patch", unnoficial of course, as a "tweakpack" or "bug removing mod"? After all our community is know for make mods.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited June 2013

Also, don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

Is planet Atari the planet Kang and Kodos are aiming their ray gun at? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk12ALX9fz8
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The problem is much bigger than the patch imo. Worst case scenario there won't be any BG2EE which will make it impossible to continue the saga and thereby tremendously diminish the value of BGEE. It would end up an isolated game which will in turn make it fairly pointless to develop mods for or even play at all for anyone who fancies going through the entire trilogy.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2013
    Malicron said:

[...] this is a case where someone produces something, and a third party, who HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH PRODUCTION, breaks their contract and takes all of the profit.
    Atari is still selling BG:EE through their site and Steam. Atari's makeing money. Beamdog, on the other hand, has been told, in essence "Gee, thanks for improving the game we bought the rights to. But, remember when we said you could make some money off of your work? Yeah, go screw yourselves, it's ours now, suckers!"
    Give me one good reason Beamdog should be blamed for Atari breaching contract.
    ONE.

Umm, where are you getting this from? The only part of what you said that I've seen any evidence for is the fact that the game is still for sale on Steam and Atari's website, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Beamdog isn't receiving anything for these sales.

Honestly, the amount of speculation in this thread is ridiculous.
    edited June 2013
    Malicron said:

@morehouse

We really need a "disagree" button, as this was not spam, but I could not disagree more with this statement if I tried. This is not a matter of the "dealership" screwing you over, this is a case where someone produces something, and a third party, who HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH PRODUCTION, breaks their contract and takes all of the profit.
    Atari is still selling BG:EE through their site and Steam. Atari's makeing money. Beamdog, on the other hand, has been told, in essence "Gee, thanks for improving the game we bought the rights to. But, remember when we said you could make some money off of your work? Yeah, go screw yourselves, it's ours now, suckers!"
    ONE.

Well... there's a truth here... Beamdog has being ordered to shut down the sales, while steam and ATARI keep making them. This sounds like hierarchy if anyone ask me.

Something is very, but VERY wrong here. Twice in fact, as not only Beamdog has been forbidden of make any further sale, but ATARI and STEAM are selling a game in which ATARI forbidden the release of new patches.

If the announcement given here in this forum is right, ATARI is clearly making a VERY unloyal commerce pratice and in the process is harming the righs of thousand of good faith customers.

About the disagree button, i was one of the first to ask it's removal, some ppl didn't knew the huge amount of problems introduced by that feature.
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    kamuizin said:

Malicron said:

@morehouse

We really need a "disagree" button, as this was not spam, but I could not disagree more with this statement if I tried. This is not a matter of the "dealership" screwing you over, this is a case where someone produces something, and a third party, who HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH PRODUCTION, breaks their contract and takes all of the profit.
    ONE.

Well... there's a truth here... Beamdog has being ordered to shut down the sales, while steam and ATARI keep making them. This sounds like hierarchy if anyone ask me.

Something is very, but VERY wrong here. Twice in fact, as not only Beamdog has been forbidden of make any further sale, but ATARI and STEAM are selling a game in which ATARI forbidden the release of new patches.

If the announcement given here in this forum is right, ATARI is clearly making a VERY unloyal commerce pratice and in the process is harming the righs of thousand of good faith customers.

About the disagree button, i was one of the first to ask it's removal, some ppl didn't knew the huge amount of problems introduced by that feature.
    Atari has been pulling this kind of crap ever since the acquired the D&D license. It seems like every developer that does something for them runs away screaming saying they would never work with them again. I'm really unhappy with what they are doing but I can honestly say it doesn't surprise me at all. Atari does not care at all about their customers (the people who buy their games & the devs that make them) and the past 10 years have shown that. That is a major reason why they are going through bankruptcy now.
  • morehousemorehouse Member Posts: 20
    Malicron said:

@morehouse

ONE.

I am blaming them for their product not working. If they had done a better job with the last patch, we wouldn't be having this discussion. If they had waited until the game was completed before releasing it in the first place, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Despite the many flaws with the game I have remained patient until now because I had faith that the developers were going to fix these problems. Now to hear after many months of waiting that any progress has been suspended indefinitely is unacceptable. I don't want to hear excuses, no matter how valid they may be, I want my game to work.

If this was Dragon Age 3 or something and it was EA making these excuses, nobody would be buying them for a second, we would all be saying "don't care, get it done." While on one hand it's nice to deal with these smaller developers where you feel connected to them and like you are part of a community, a side effect is the relationship becomes too "buddy buddy." This is a business/customer relationship, we need to remember that. I don't care that these guys seem like nice people that are trying hard anymore, I'm fed up. Since I'm sure they won't be offering me my $20 back (although considering they sold a broken product, it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask for it) I will settle for making sure they are aware of my disappointment.
  • MunchkinXQMunchkinXQ Member Posts: 25
    IMO, the new patch is NOT yet completed. But due to this legal mess, the team can't resume to work on it because they have to make a living now.

So now there's actually nothing to release.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    edited June 2013
    @morehouse
    I'm going to take my own advice from another thread and stop feeding the troll. Even if you aren't trolling, it's obvious I'm not going to change your opinion.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited June 2013
    I wish you could give us a time estimate. :(

But I guess you can never tell when Lawful Evil Wild Mages are at work.

Courts move very, VERY slowly, so let's hope cooler heads prevail and an agreement is reached.

My sister is a lawyer, and a colleague of hers worked on a divorce in which the parties spent thousands on billable hours fighting over a trailer worth a fraction of that. Here's hoping no one involved here makes the same mistake.

When playing poker, falling prey to the "sunk cost" temptation (also called being pot-committed) is the fastest way to go broke.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    PugPug said:

I wish you could give us a time estimate. :(

Me too.
    I liked your opinion @Sixheadeddog, if not a bit anger against @morehouse, but sometimes we just have to take something from the chest and put it out plain and simple.

But one point that i disagree, and maybe you reason it with me, is that Beamdog isn't free of responsibility in reason of the entire issue being out of the company hands.

Risk & Business, it's plain there and this issue can't fall on customer's back. From what i saw you writing i believe i don't even need to go deep in explanation here. If beamdog can't give the answers to some problems due to copyright restrictions, they should point the partner responsible for that and (if exist) a contact link for that partner. If that's not done, eventually the heat will fall in Beamdog's back and i can understand ppl that want and request professionalism in his/her dealings with the company.

However i would like to remember everyone that Beamdog 1° promisse even before start the project, in the early moments of the company (at may/june 2012) was that IF something happened with the company or if for some reason the company had to be shut down, they would free the game without any need of online check anymore, and taking the fact that every devs is somehow a modder, i don't think that we're going to be left in the dark with a bad investment. So even with all this going on, i somehow feel safe with my investment.

But ok, enought of that issue. Let's turn our attention to more important questions.

Is this issue with HASBRO..., or company X, so problematic to reach this level of damage? What copyrights where entitled to HASBRO..., or company X, and what can BG:EE do now without HASBRO..., or company X, limitations after you solve these issues? Apparently, before Adventure Y, we will have an Adventure X, where an old ally become a fierce enemy! How epic!!!
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    kamuizin said:

I liked your opinion @Sixheadeddog, if not a bit anger against @morehouse, but sometimes we just have to take something from the chest and put it out plain and simple.

... Sorry. Sometimes I suffer (and, following, lots of other people end up suffering as well) from my -4 penalty to save vs. troll bait.
    But one point that i disagree, and maybe you reason it with me, is that Beamdog isn't free of responsibility in reason of the entire issue being out of the company hands.

Risk & Business, it's plain there and this issue can't fall on customer's back. From what i saw you writing i believe i don't even need to go deep in explanation here. If beamdog can't give the answers to some problems due to copyright restrictions, they should point the partner responsible for that and (if exist) a contact link for that partner. If that's not done, eventually the heat will fall in Beamdog's back and i can understand ppl that want and request professionalism in his/her dealings with the company.
    But that's just the thing: Beamdog isn't allowed to say *anything* about what's going on. They can't even tell us what other parties are involved. Anything that has been said in these discussion threads over the last few days has been, at best, speculation, rumor and guess-work.

The other thing that's worth noting here is that the information blackout is not going to be permanent: eventually, as things sort themselves out, we'll learn more about what happened and why. And odds are good that Beamdog will eventually be allowed to continue its work -- although Beamdog isn't allowed to confirm or deny this or give us anything resembling a timetable.

I disagree that Beamdog has ownership of anything resembling "responsibility" for what's happened (although, once again, nobody knows anything specific about what it is that's happened, so perhaps I can't even say that for sure). But as a consumer -- and a relatively pleased consumer -- I'm completely willing to cut the company some slack. Like, a LOT of slack. The slackingest amount of slack that can possibly be cut for any single person and/or corporate entity at one time. Because it's crap like this that Beamdog willingly opted to expose itself to in order to bring us something that we clearly were interested in having access to again: not only do they have to untangle and sort through the ancient programming code of the Infinity engine, but they also have to deal with lawyers and rights-holders and suits (oh my).
    However i would like to remember everyone that Beamdog 1° promisse even before start the project, in the early moments of the company (at may/june 2012) was that IF something happened with the company or if for some reason the company had to be shut down, they would free the game without any need of online check anymore, and taking the fact that every devs is somehow a modder, i don't think that we're going to be left in the dark with a bad investment. So even with all this going on, i somehow feel safe with my investment.
    It's best to take that promise in context, though: when the promise was made, there didn't seem to be any question about Beamdog's right to do what they'd set out to do with Baldur's Gate. Addressing the current trend in games publishing, where a publishing house will put out a game with stringent DRM, and then when that house folds the game ceases to work because its DRM can't phone home to verify that the user can actually use the software. (all you Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 players: this is what you have to look forward to someday)
    But ok, enought of that issue. Let's turn our attention to more important questions.

Is this issue with HASBRO..., or company X, so problematic to reach this level of damage? What copyrights where entitled to HASBRO..., or company X, and what can BG:EE do now without HASBRO..., or company X, limitations after you solve these issues? Apparently, before Adventure Y, we will have an Adventure X, where an old ally become a fierce enemy! How epic!!!
    These are all questions that no one outside of Beamdog can answer. Well, except perhaps for whoever the Other Party(ies) is/are. Was it Mister Hasbro in the Dining Room with the Lead Pipe? Or Colonel Atari in the Ballroom with the Revolver?...
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    @morehouse: I don't think there has been a single game out, at least on this decade, that has not required a patch. Does that mean the entire game industry is a shady car salesman that sells broken cars and has you fix them later?

Hey, if it's so, then at least the fix is usually free.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125

Because it's crap like this that Beamdog willingly opted to expose itself to in order to bring us something that we clearly were interested in having access to again: not only do they have to untangle and sort through the ancient programming code of the Infinity engine, but they also have to deal with lawyers and rights-holders and suits (oh my).

Let's not kid ourselves. Beamdog didn't expose themselves to this 'crap' purely for 'our' benefit. They wanted (as much as anything else) to make some fairly easy money out of a platform which was already built (barring a few coding updates). The fact that Beamdog were satisfied to continue with the project even after they couldn't acquire source material and the rights to the game backs this up. In essence, they saw an opportunity to re-release a popular game, in whatever form available to them in order to make money on it.

Now if the business plan is to generate relatively easy cash from sales of BG:EE and BG2:EE, so that the cash can be pumped into developing BG3 (from scratch). Then I'm very much on their side, and believe that it's a good business plan.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    From Atari's administrator's point of view there is a big difference between Steam sales and other sales.

Steam sales = money going to Atari. Now Atari may owe some of that money to other BG:EE stakeholders such as Beamdog, Hasbro, etc, but all those other stakeholders will have to join the line of Atari creditors and probably won't get all their money back.

Non steam sales = money going to Beamdog. Beamdog will then have to pay part of that money over to the various stakeholders, including Atari. But this means effectively that the BG:EE stakeholders all get paid in full and Atari (and by extension their existing creditors) get less.

It sucks, but Atari's administrators are probably legally obliged to take this action in order to protect Atari's creditors as a whole.
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    From what we can read Atari still wants to sell the game... I wonder, is it overhaul who do not want to work for Atari or the other way around?
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    "Atari still wants to sell the game..."

I believe that is just a small part of the: Atari needs money. Fast.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I would assume this is more about ownership of assets and change thereof, not companies refusing to work with one another.
  • AerethielAerethiel Member Posts: 17
    I'm wondering if we, customers, could do anything to stop Atari for getting in the way ?
This discussion has been closed.