Skip to content

During our wait

Comments

• mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    edited July 2013
    I have several suggestions:

1) Universe Sandbox. You get the title, you do some basic google search and then you reproduce as Newtonian models, several known planetary systems. It's a gravity simulator, not a game, but still lots of fun if you are into science.

2) Age of Empires 2 HD. Need I say more? PvP works just fine, there are amazing campaigns and support thanks to Steam workshop. I frequently play a Game of Thrones map (PvP). Also I really enjoyed the Dracula campaign.

3) Achron. If you can see past the mediocre/terrible presentation (graphics mostly), then you are in for the rts of the decade. Its a typical rts only now you can travel in time. Imagine the possibilities. You scout in the future, your unit dies, then you go back to the present, cancel the scouting and you still have your unit AND the knowledge from the scouting that "is never going to happen". You get attacked, go in the past and bring units to the future to fight alongside their future versions.Tactics in this game make Starcraft look like a toothpaste. Be prepared to loose terribly and repeatedly from the extremely small and pro, yet friendly community.

4) Shogun 2 Total War. No expansions, just the vanilla game. I admit medieval Japan might not be so appealing but most issues of previous TW games have been solved. And the AI is relatively good as well.

5) Get a Super Nintendo emulator and play Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Or a N64 emulator for some original Mario kart.

6) If you are into older rts titles you could always go for Dune 2000 and Total Annihilation Kingdoms.
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    IWD. Downloaded it a few days ago. Didn't realize druid could actually be fun in an IE game.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited July 2013
    @ChildofBhaal599 It's not that bad, no. The worst cheaters are reserved for Twitch streamers, so stats draining you shouldn't worry about (and even then, I got an easy way to help it out). The more common kinds of hackers just have infinite health (but they can still die if you kick them off a cliff), but even then about 1 player out of 50 is gonna cheat.

And there are ways to disable PvP, the first and most convenient way being 'hollow', or simply, not turning human. Being human in the game is the equivalent of enabling multiplayer.
    Other than that, playing offline works too, although I am not sure whether you can play offline and still progress in the game with the PC version (GfWL FTW...)
    It's worth noting that players can only invade you when you haven't defeated an area boss yet. If there is no boss, then it's a no-invasion zone.
    Also, certain items won't be usable when a player is trying to connect to your world. If you see them greyed out while you play, just quit the game (it saves it) and reload it and you should be out of the risk of being invaded for the next 2 minutes (no joke)

Also, if you 'challenge' the area boss, all invasions are instantly cancelled.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    mement0 said:

5) Get a Super Nintendo emulator and play Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Or a N64 emulator for some original Mario Kart.

Mario Kart was for the snes. Snes also has ff3 (NA), Mario World, and many more well made games. If you want an entertaining but not brutally difficult (some side quests are brutal, as is the hidden boss) game, look up Mario RPG. The Thousand Year Door has a superior plot though.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

@ChildofBhaal599 It's not that bad, no. The worst cheaters are reserved for Twitch streamers, so stats draining you shouldn't worry about (and even then, I got an easy way to help it out). The more common kinds of hackers just have infinite health (but they can still die if you kick them off a cliff), but even then about 1 player out of 50 is gonna cheat.

And there are ways to disable PvP, the first and most convenient way being 'hollow', or simply, not turning human. Being human in the game is the equivalent of enabling multiplayer.
    Other than that, playing offline works too, although I am not sure whether you can play offline and still progress in the game with the PC version (GfWL FTW...)
    It's worth noting that players can only invade you when you haven't defeated an area boss yet. If there is no boss, then it's a no-invasion zone.
    Also, certain items won't be usable when a player is trying to connect to your world. If you see them greyed out while you play, just quit the game (it saves it) and reload it and you should be out of the risk of being invaded for the next 2 minutes (no joke)

Also, if you 'challenge' the area boss, all invasions are instantly cancelled.

thx for giving me the heads up so i don't need to be dissapointed when i get it. could i leave in the middle of an invasion if i notice that they seem to be cheating?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    When I fix my computer (I'm typing this from a blackberry :) ) ill be playing Arcanum: Of Steamworks
    and Magick Obscura.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Playing the NWN games for the first time: I'm going to do Neverwinter Nights 1, Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark, Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, Pirates of the Sword Coast and Darkness over Daggerford, followed by NWN2, Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Zehir and Mysteries of Westgate. Hopefully by the time I make it through those games we'll be out the other end of Beamdog's legal troubles.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    NWN2 and MotB are quite good. The others aren't bad, well worth a playthrough, but those two are the only ones I've found myself replaying.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

I've been playing --

-- Actually, I probably shouldn't mention what I've been playing. :)

What is it that Duke Nukem always says?
    "No time to play with... Myself"
    Just to be clear, the Duke Nukem arcade game is undoubtedly what he meant as he would always say it when you tried to fiddle with the arcade consoles in game.
  • Since I refuse to finish bg:ee till the matter is resolve, I've been playing some age of empires hd. Also sometimes I ride agro in Shadow of the Colossus... and i'm stuck in candy crush, fuck me right?
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    After beating BG2 and then waiting for BG2:EE... I've decided to play some IWD2... Maybe finally get through that and not have it just sitting around.
    Malicron said:

NWN2 and MotB are quite good. The others aren't bad, well worth a playthrough, but those two are the only ones I've found myself replaying.

I've actually added a metanarrative designed to integrate all the Faerun games - for example, the protagonist of SoU/HotU is the mother of my Bhaalspawn from BG:EE (yes, I know the "official timeline" wouldn't agree with me - who cares?), and his adopted daughter with Dorn is the Kalach-Cha from NWN2/MotB. Should be interesting to see how the RPs unfold... :)
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    shawne said:

Malicron said:

I've actually added a metanarrative designed to integrate all the Faerun games - for example, the protagonist of SoU/HotU is the mother of my Bhaalspawn from BG:EE (yes, I know the "official timeline" wouldn't agree with me - who cares?), and his adopted daughter with Dorn is the Kalach-Cha from NWN2/MotB. Should be interesting to see how the RPs unfold... :)
    Man, who in their family line managed to piss off Ao? Seriously, tragedy seems to hound their footsteps.
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, if you wanted to make another game related to a possible CHARNAME in BG2, IWD 1 and 2 apparently take place before BG so depending on race they could live long enough for that.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I just finished a vacation so I was playing a handful:

Metro Last Light
    The Walking Dead
    Temple of Element Evil (finally started it)
    Civ 5 (waiting for BNW as well) and
    Xcom

were the ones I was playing the most. EA's NHL series is the one game I go back to and play over and over and over though.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Playing through BG 2 with a blade.

Also picked up Diablo 2 again. Currently playing a fire necro using the fire skills from the complete Trang-Oul's and maxed fire golem. Using an Act 3 lightning merc, skeletal mages, and revies to take care of fire immunes. Pretty slow at killing, but it's fun.

Also currently building a barbarian using double swing and chance to cast weapons. His level is still very low though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317

Nox, probably a game that no one knows >_>

What a coincidence. I recently started playing Nox (again)

Nox was a pretty good game. Its cool how they adjusted the story for the three classes, even if the areas themselves weren't significantly adjusted.
  • brtl33brtl33 Member Posts: 17
    I'm playing through KOTOR II: TSL with the restored content mod.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 903
    Two things right now:

1. Playing IWD. Although it's entertaining enough, and beautiful to look at, it's definitely not as good as the BG games (mainly due to its linearity and the absence of the distinctive companions).

2. Playing BGEE (again!) and then exporting that character to vanilla BG2. I haven't played BG2 in a while, so playing through the original again should be fun. And once BG2EE is released, I'll go through the entire saga at least 2 more times, focusing on the *new* EE content (the new NPCs and romances).

Later:

3. After I finish BGEE + BG2 (original), and IWD, I'll move onto the other IE games that I haven't played in years, Torment and IWD2. Hopefully by the time I'm through with them, BG2EE will be available. If not, I'll try NWN and NWN2.

(Thank you CrossOver + GOG.com!)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited July 2013
    Been waiting since november, it's not only the patches, but mods like NPC1Project, SCS, Hard Times, Rogue Rebalancing I've been waiting for. In the mean time I've been playing Dragon Age:Origins all the time. I'm especially impressed with the amount of lore in the game. I do think it was kind of a 'spiritual successor' to Baldur's Gate after all and have gotten used to the 3D play, which I found to be over-stimulus at first.
    Malicron said:

Man, who in their family line managed to piss off Ao? Seriously, tragedy seems to hound their footsteps.

Tragedy and a whole lot of power. :)
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Playing cat-and-mouse with my cats... And I'm the cat, and the cats ruin the garden and jumping on the keyboard typing all sorts of crazy stuff...
  • pekirtpekirt Member Posts: 111
    IWD2, which you don't have to play for hours on end--just take care of a few combats and leave. And some puzzle games that I can play in 10 mins or less.

I got a hold of Witcher II from GOG, but I don't want to start something big before a new playthrough of BGEE with the NPC mods.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 633
    Using Spellhold Studious' Big World Project to fuse Bg1/2 together with the addition of nice mods :)

Shame they've stopped updating BWS anymore, by the looks of it.. I really liked to have a interface like that. Sure beats downloading mods manually and just using the BWP Installer.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I've started Unepic while I wait for the Patch and the NPC Project to be released.

It's a really funny, simple platform/action game. Almost done. Probably replaying Vampire: Bloodlines after this.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Mortal Kombat has just released on steam, so that's me sorted for now.
    Also it reminded me of my long standing idea for a super smash bros style beat em up game with all the baldurs gate characters.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Cerevant said:

Anduin said:

I'm playing peek-a-boo!

Father! Father! Where'd you go? You've abandoned me! (13:29)
    After watching this. I actually considered changing my name to "Not the Mummy!"

But I am a mummie so... That wouldn't work...
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I've been playing Path of Exile and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward but hope to pick up Animal Crossing: New Leaf this week.