Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

BG1 - favourite fights: Bounty Hunters and Mercenaries

typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,039
:) Couldn't quite fit all Iron Throne mercenary fights in. Aside from Nimbul, the solo mercenaries are under 'other'. For the heck of it, I also split the bandit camp into 2 groups: inside and outside of Tazok's tent.

What are your favourite fights? :D

Hopefully I didn't miss any. n_n'

EDIT - OH I forgot the Ogre Mages fight and the dull, trick-able ogre in BG. XD

Also forgot... Lakadaar and co (standing north of the Cloakwood Mine Entrance)

*sighs* Ah, just consider those as being under 'other' n_n;

Links to other fight polls and discussions:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19882/bg1-favourite-fights-the-crazies
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19880/bg1-favourite-fights-adventuring-parties

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19873/favourite-party-fights
Post edited by typo_tilly on

BG1 - favourite Bounty Hunter and Mercenary fights 87 votes

Nimbul (Nashkel)
11%
ShrimpMoomintrollchickenhedJalilyAristilliusjfliederSionIVAron740BladeDancertadancer 10 votes
Lamalha, Maneira, Telka, Zeela (when you exit Nashkel mines)
12%
AedanShYarivJacePeccaShadowHunterMortiannaCahirthespaceMalicronboone145sylvanus 11 votes
Molkar, Morvin, Drakar, Halacan (Gullykin)
3%
TJ_HookerSCARY_WIZARDPantalion 3 votes
Taugosz, Credus, Adrenor, Tersus (Bandit Camp - outside Tazok's tent)
3%
RadhamanthysAaezilSpungi 3 votes
Raemon, Venkt, Hakt, Britik (Bandit Camp - Tazok's tent)
2%
ajwzmzorich 2 votes
Drasus, Rezdan, Genthore, Kysus (Cloakwood Mine Entrance)
32%
MiridorlunartatokFlashburndeltagostkayeMilesBeyondrexregtypo_tillyDJKajuruNoonVedwintheTyrantOneAngryMushroomKennisatcDaveTsyrithKidCarnivalJarrakulDarkersunfranco 28 votes
Prat, Sakul, Tam, Bor (Candlekeep Caves)
4%
TetrapusLapaLordRumfishCrevsDaak 4 votes
Slyth and Krystin (Undercellar)
11%
SpaceInvaderelminsterShinartificial_sunlightRedWizardPaulgmd00150028Urd1enchbrooksmysterymeep 10 votes
Rahvin, Haseo, Wudei, Carston, Shaldrissa, Gorf (Undercity)
5%
GemHoundNeonfiskGoodStevezur312_marotte 5 votes
-other- (Carbos, Shank, Tarnesh, Karlat, or Neira)
12%
MERLANCEDragonspearSwordsNotWordsCaloNorddavenTressetJLeeTyranusGodgeekfatigueFleshIsADesignFlaw 11 votes
lunarSCARY_WIZARDfrancoAristilliusCrevsDaak

Comments

• typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,039
    Tarnesh... Mr 'fear spell followed by magic missile' -_- ah what a prick
    JLeeMalicronMoomintrollCrevsDaak
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,358
    edited July 2013
    those fireballs! yeah!

tarnesh is cool noob killer it is probably first thing i died to in my first game of baldur's gate but really i can't remember
    JLee
    I remember the first time playing and how great a feeling it was to beat the group waiting right outside the Cloakwood Mines. Even with repeated playthroughs, it always feels like my party is bad ass at that point. The turning point where they're tough. :)

Well, either then or in the Candlekeep Caves. Don't take no smack from them. Or those little thieves too! ^-^
    MortiannaKidCarnivalCrevsDaakElrandir
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,282
    They're only two, but their cocky pre-fight dialogue always makes me feel righteous about ending them.
    typo_tillyMortiannaNoonCrevsDaak
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,302
    Drasus's party is scary and a respectable challenge in scs. So many things can go wrong in this battle. You can shut down Davaeorn's danger with potions/spells/scrolls but these guys are really deadly.
    franco
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Tarnesh and the 5 Ogre Magi take my vote. When I played SCS and they ambushed me, it was the first time I felt I could lose.
    SionIV said:

Back when i was new to BG1 i didn't understand that Nimbul only came after you cleared the mine. So everytime i got into nashkel i was scared shitless of him. First two times i ever fought him i had low health and no potions and he came out of nowhere with his mirror images and fear.

XD I thought I was the only one! I never knew when the bounty hunters would appear. Ah naive youth. c:

@lunar
    I will be so stoked when SCS is finally implemented in BGEE. :) All the fights are going to change >:3
    TetrapusSionIVfranco
  • TetrapusTetrapus Member Posts: 17
    Prat, Sakul, Tam, Bor (Candlekeep Caves)
    I don't remember much about the fight, but for some reason the group in the Candlekeep Caves just stands out in my memory.
    The Candlekeep Caves fight is indeed a good one :D At that point, I feel my party is powerful but a little depleted (after going through the catacombs) - but still tough enough to stomp them. Makes me feel big. >:3
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,302
    @typo_tilly

Scs works on bg:ee, only one or two battles are bugged, %95 of the components work well, on my Ipad no less. :-)
    francotypo_tilly
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Tarnesh is an excellent game device. Right from the start, BG is telling you, "This is not a seek and fetch it kind of adventure. Charname can die here, and at a moment's notice. Your adrenaline level goes up, and it remains at a higher level for the rest of the game.

My level of excitement in the game goes up another notch it seems outside the Cloakwood mines when you've obviously encountered a powerful and well coordinated combination of opponents, you stand toe to toe and win out. You get an extra feeling like, "this group is coming together and can win this thing."
    JLeelunarDragonspearBlackraven
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 171
    Most of those fights are worthy and the choice is difficult. Also, did you forget Zhalimar and co. at the top of the iron throne or is it intentional ? Otherwise, it would have my vote. There is also Rieltar's group at Candlekeep (but not really mercenaries or BH).
    Oh the Zhentarim!

Yes, and the Red Wizards of Thay.

*-) I'm not sure which poll to put them in.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,565
    Bah. They're all pushovers compared to my mods bounty hunters. ;)
    typo_tillyMoomintroll

Bah. They're all pushovers compared to my mods bounty hunters. ;)

Aw I really want to try Dark Horizons! Can't do mods with beta testing EE though ._. *pout* But one day... then I'll play with those bounty hunters :D And dragon maybe >:3

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 4,525
    "Always kill the mouthy ones, that's what I always say."

More for one of the best quotes in the game, and one of the best items than the actual battle.

typo_tillyBladeDancer
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 15,482
    Shin said:

They're only two, but their cocky pre-fight dialogue always makes me feel righteous about ending them.

Especially in the original game I was always RP'ing it so that I would stop them as soon as possible to prevent them from killing too many bystanders. Especially Krystin and that cloudkill of hers.
    typo_tillyShin
    deltago said:

More for one of the best quotes in the game, and one of the best items than the actual battle.

Nice after the battle! :) The first time I met them, he made me jump. n_n'
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    edited July 2013
    The group in that tavern in Baldur's Gate. Who bust on in after you're telling stories with them others at the bar.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    edited July 2013
    deltago said:

HAW! A good saying! I will use your head for a puppet and make it say it over and over while we drink large amounts of mead! Life is pretty good, you know?
    Malicrontypo_tillySCARY_WIZARD
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,106
    elminster said:

Shin said:

Especially in the original game I was always RP'ing it so that I would stop them as soon as possible to prevent them from killing too many bystanders. Especially Krystin and that cloudkill of hers.
    Their voice sets are so cool that sometimes I ctrl+Q and keep them in my party till the end.
    I bring them to Near Dead then my evil PC acts like "Meh, you two are too badass to die in this sewer. Join me and we'll have fun together."
    Blackraven
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    edited July 2013
    daven said:

The group in that tavern in Baldur's Gate. Who bust on in after you're telling stories with them others at the bar.

They're the Maulers of the Undermountain, and probably aren't on this list because they aren't either after your bounty or in the employ of the Iron Throne, they're just dumb-dumbs.

• davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Ohhhh right. Well... it's a good fight anyway.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 1,983
    @redline, you just summed up my feelings about everything between the coronation and Tamoko.

As for the actual topic of the thread, I like a lot of them, but my favorite has to be the group outside the Cloakwood Mines. If you're careful it's not too hard (like everything in the game, really), but boy can that battle go south fast if you're not. Plus, boots of speed make everything better.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 1,844
    Lamalha, Maneira, Telka, Zeela (when you exit Nashkel mines)
    Exhausted, wounded, in the middle of nowhere. Now how the hell did you know, I'd go through this exact spot?! Anyway, I insult them, kill them and for the very first time, I feel like a real badass.
    Blackraven