Skip to content

How do you motivate yourself for jogging?

O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
Heya.
As the title of this topic suggests, I would like know how do you motivate yourself for jogging, especially at the very beginning. By now, it's not hard to guess that I want to lose some weight, and possibly, gain some constitution.

Until now, I've managed to regulary jogging throu 3-4 days at most before I quit. I don't know how to deal with my own laziness and my self-anger at my lack of constitution.

I would appreciate some responses. Even if it won't change anything in my life, it might give me some ideas.
Thank you, and muffin button.

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I'm terrible at self motivation. Especially for things that I know I won't enjoy (like jogging).

Solution: Hometrainer + TV + Playstation. Before you know it, you've exercised for three hours (the following day might be rough though).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Well, for me it is easy to motivate myself to go out and get exercise. I love to go outside and look for animals to catch. That can be really hard work. My problem is a little different. How do I stop eating so much?
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
    @ZelgadisGW it sounds like part of your issue is over-doing it. You don't need to jog everyday, especially when you're just starting out. I'd suggest looking up a jogging routine online, and following the routine and its schedule. (I know a lot of people who used the Couch to 5K routine to get into fitness, but I'm sure there's plenty of other routines out there.)

Another thing to do if you can is get a treadmill. We got a cheaper one from Walmart and use it all the time. That way there's no excuse for not running two or three times a week. Plus you can set your TV up and catch up on your Netflix queue ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Tresset
    Five small meals per day, instead of few big meals, is considered healthy way to go. But execution of such eating habits is a different story.

@modestvolta
    Netflix? Nope, I don't watch TV. Tristram will be doomed without my help, however :).

@typo_tilly
    Nope, not too much at all. You made some valid points and I appreciate that.

@Awong124
    The content of the link you provided is quite interesting, and in many cases, true. However, the author of the comics is evidently passionated in running in a way I can understand. On the other hand, I think of jogging only as an exercise. There are (or at least were) other activities that helped me cleanse my mind.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I never had the patience for running distances.. and probably never will. I prefer doing a 15-20 minute long of High Intensity Intrval Training on a treadmill or bycicle and be done with it...

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If you can't motivate yourself to run, just walk. Walk everywhere. Get a pedometer and celebrate how many steps you've taken in a day instead of driving or using transit. You'll lose weight just like jogging, but it'll be less painful.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Lots of great advice on this thread! You have to force yourself to do it at first. You have to accept that it's work and not for fun (as @typo_tilly said). After it becomes a part of your weekly routine, you'll feel like something is wrong or feel uneasy when you don't exercise/jog. Just like any habit (good or bad), it takes repetition to incorporate that activity in your life to the degree where it feels normal. Good luck!
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    It's pretty simple for me. I just play some badass music and fantasize I'm in some epic situation where I have to run like hell.
    @OneAngryMushroom
    So, I guess that you mean running while listening to some badbutt workout music?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SheikhSheikh Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2013
    I dont recommend using a schedule. Just have the mindset that the more you do the better and keep it, but dont pressure yourself if you do none.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    @ZelgadisGW
    Isn't that what I just said?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Awong124 said:
    That was beautiful @Awong124

This motivates me to run... Or bike ride really in my case. Choose a destination. A pub. A friends house. A spot in the park. A view from a hill. A comic shop. And GO.

I sorta walk now with the baby strapped to me... Still it is fun to go to the pub... You deserve that pint after that calorie burn!
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Get a voice of the opposite sex (unless your preference advises otherwise) to motivate you. It could be a jogging partner ("come on, you're lagging!") or a mobile running app with coaching ("your pace is 1km/h and you're through 3 metres, keep that up!") if you're currently unable to acquire the former. With time, you will be able to acquire the former anyway.

Sex is the second division, and connection, within this universe, the first being the division of that which divides from that which does not. It is thus the second strongest in power - utilize it and you will surely stay on track. And, if you will run with a companion, you will also likely make it possible for another person to stay on track, which is almost as awesome.

Though, you probably shouldn't listen to me. I'm biased. I, in my undisputed masculinity, exist mainly because of sex.
    In the beginning, there was this, which none know. It was probably one. Then there was a division between that which divides and that which does not. Two entities result. Then, there was a division between what now is masculinity and femininity. Three entities result. This is where mathematics gets so confused that it eats its chalk, disgorges on its blackboard and runs away like Khalid, saying 'oh sheet, irrational number!'
    @God
    For a hyphotetical being whom power and abilities are infinite, you understand nature of people quite well. Losing some weight to gain some attractivenes to opposite gender is fine, but with the face you teologically gave me, it's still close to impossible.

@OneAngryMushroom
    Sorry for taking your time, but I had to be sure. I know badass songs which aren't fitting for a training, jogging or any other physical activity. So I had to make sure you are suggesting songs that seems particulary made for workout (Eye of The Tiger and such. Guile's Theme works too, but no wonder - it goes with everything).

I think if I'm going to use your advice, I will be listening to something really badass, then after completing jogging session this song will nicely represent how I'm going to feel:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7NnzlZ8N4

@Sheikh
    I hardly have any self-discipline, so I have to be pressured in some way to achieve things. I think schedule is needed.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    In order to get to work I HAVE TO WALK to shuttle bus station 10 minutes. How about that?