Skip to content

Add Drow (Dark Elf) Race

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
edited June 2012 in Feature Requests
It would be great to make drow race into the game. We already have one drow (Viconia DeVir) after all.

Description:
Also known as dark elves, drow are a depraved and evil subterranean offshoot.
White is the most common hair color among drow, but almost any pale shade is possible. Drow tend to be smaller and thinner than other sorts of elves, and their eyes are often a vivid red.

Allowed classes:
Same as elves?

Ability Modifiers:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma.
-2 Constitution, -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom.

Special benefits and hindrances:
Darkvision, Light Blindness (blindness when exposed to sunlight).

Spell Immunities:
Spell resistance equal to 11% + character level. Immunity to sleep spells and effects, +2 on saves against spells.

Thief Skill Bonuses:
Hide in shadows+5%, Move Silently +5%, Detect Traps & illusions +10%

Starting Reputation:
Post edited by Anton on

Comments

• KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Their drawbacks don't look very substantial compared to their down sides. Strength can very easily be modified and constitution isn't really a drawback for non warrior classes. A fighter/mage or thief/mage drow would be very OP...
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I'm going to assume that down sides whould read upsides, but then I agree with @kore that spell resistance is just far too strong regardless of those great stat bonuses.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Yeah I don't know if subraces are a good idea. Once you do that, all the main races are obsolete. Nobody's going to be a plain old Half Orc once some badass dwarf comes along (with short bonuses, extra CON and STR, etc).

But I do like the idea of being a Drow so that when the dragon tries to disguise me and smuggle me into the city I don't look different.
    @AndreaColombo

I do like the way you think sir. It makes destroying evil a little uncomfortable if you're inherently evil by not only alignment but race.
  • FranticFeyFranticFey Member Posts: 31
    @AndrewColombo

Mm, I have a different opinion. Perhaps this is just because I never played AD&D and am just a 3 and 3.5 player, but I find playing subraces to be quite fun. What's been mentioned so far aren't quite monstrous races, like minotaurs or werebears, simply subraces. Drow are merely a subrace of Elf, the same way Moon, Sun, and Wild Elves are as well. In a way, actually, there is no "elf," in 3.5 - drow, moon, sun, and wild elves are elves.

I can see playing monsters being off-setting, but subraces are just acknowledging other forms of the same race, to me at least.

@Ward

Well, perhaps because you've been fighting so many drow yourself, but isn't there a chance that there are some non-evil ones as well? ;)
    @FranticFey

Well Viconia is Neutral Good by ToB I think. That counts I suppose, even though she's fictional.

Wait what?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited June 2012
    @FranticFey

I see your point. However, all races that feature in the Monster Manual rather than in the Player's Handbook are supposed to be foes, not friends. There can be, of course, good drows (I can name at least one, on the fly ;-)) but that's more of a character concept for DMs to create and use, rather than a PC. There is a reason why Drow elves required a Level Adjustment in 3rd Ed. to be played: they are too powerful compared to other elves. The reason why they're so powerful is that they were meant as foes, whereas moon elves were meant as PCs. They added LA so that if somebody really wanted to play a Drow, they could. Then again, I was never a fan of LA: I found it an awkward solution to a problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place :-)
    edited June 2012
    @FranticFey

(I can name at least one, on the fly ;-))
    DRIZZT YES! I was trying to think of him.
    @AndreaColombo

I understand your perspective. (I disagree on the Monster Manual position however. Perhaps we are quoting from different ones here, but mine {3.5} includes animals like baboons and badgers, as well as peaceful races, like aquatic elves, dryads, and the sort. I think the Monster Manual, despite the name, is to display any sort of creature that you may encounter that isn't detailed in the PHB or DMG, whether it is a foe, a friend, or something in between.)

I mean, I find LA can give some variety to the game, and I think to some extent they are accepted as a player race, as DnD literature expands on it in other books (Book of Vile Darkness provides prestige classes specifically for drow, like the Insidious Corrupter. It gives me shivers, the good kind. I think it provides more variety for races, and offers a foundation for classes that are based upon innate abilities. The succubi is a good example. Still, they aren't for everyone. :)
    edited June 2012
    @FranticFey

I used to own to 3rd Ed. Monster Manual, both 3.0 and 3.5. You are correct, there are peaceful races in there too, but none of them I would consider suitable for PCs except for those that already show up in the Player's Handbook (you wouldn't wanna play a badger character, would you? ;-)). Back in the day, I played several monstrous characters, one of which was extremely overpowered as obtained by severe rules abuse. I used to be that kind of player. However, with time I've grown fonder of AD&D, because there was a lot more mystery around monsters (and deities, for that matter) and they couldn't be turned into ordinary playable races. It really takes away from the flavor of the race, for me.

That being said, if subraces were to be implemented and made available in BG:EE I would be no one to complain. I mean, the more features, the merrier. I'm not too adamant about this :-)
    @AndreaColombo

I completely understand your point. It's quite similar to what I was talking about in another thread - if the PC could create poison arrows every day like Eldoth can, Eldoth starts to seem a bit less special. By being able to play monstrous or sub-races, what these cool enemies use to do exclusively is now available to all the players, and their mystique and power is a bit... diminished. And in terms of powergaming, the rules in 3rd definitely can be twisted so that it isn't fun anymore; a minotaur barbarian with +8 racial strength will always be prevailing over a human counterpart, no matter the minotaur's racial penalty to Charisma.

Glad to discuss. :)
    Glad to discuss. :)
    Me too :)
    @PhillipDaigle

Freudian. Menzoberranzan is Drizzt Do'Urden's home town, but the place you visit in Baldur's Gate II is Ust Natha ;-)

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @PhillipDaigle

Well, its very possible that people will have enough time to replay BGEE a couple of times before BG2EE comes along.

If you guys could add more races after BGEE's release that would be great, but I imagine you guys will have your hands full working on the stuff for BG2EE.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    "Hey Gorion, I hear you raided a temple to Bhaal the other day."
    "Yeah I brought home a drow baby."
    "Brought home... to drown it?"
    Lol.

Though if Gorion managed to sneak in a half-orc I don't think managing a Drow baby would be that farfetched.

@PhillipDaigle
    Hmmm... you just gave me a thought how about Half-drow??? That might work then you wouldn't have "full drow" epicness and ECL but a slightly weaker and gameplayable half breed. Hey if it works for orcs to have half-orcs why not half-elves? What you say there are already half elves in the game? oh yeah how about half-drow elves then?

@PhillipDaigle
    Hmmm... you just gave me a thought how about Half-drow??? That might work then you wouldn't have "full drow" epicness and ECL but a slightly weaker and gameplayable half breed. Hey if it works for half-orcs why not half-elves. What you say those are already in the game? oh yeah how about half-drow elves then?
    I actually really like this idea. The lore might be difficult to wrangle though.... Maybe Bhaal came upon a human in Drow form and forced himself upon her ... I guess Viconia sleeps with you though, so it's possible, if a little rare.

But yeah, I like the idea.
    I don't think implementing a Half-Drow lorewise would be a problem.

I can't recall if the games ever touched upon this subject, but I always assumed that the Bhaalspawn would always have the race of the mother.

What advantages would a Half-Drow have when compared with a regular Half-Elf? Do they get any benefits from their Drow heritage besides the nice tan?
    Yeah, lorewise it's just an oddity rather than a problem. I imagine they'd get -1 to str, wis and cha and a +1 bonus to int and dex. Maybe even a -1 to con if you really want to make it interesting for a bonus to magic resistance.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    I don't think implementing a Half-Drow lorewise would be a problem.

I can't recall if the games ever touched upon this subject, but I always assumed that the Bhaalspawn would always have the race of the mother.

What advantages would a Half-Drow have when compared with a regular Half-Elf? Do they get any benefits from their Drow heritage besides the nice tan?
    You could give them a weaker magic resistance or other bonuses like better saving throws against poision that might seem appropriate because half elves get weaker bonuses than full elves right? At the other end of the spectrum if you didn't want to do much with it, you could just leave half drow character bonuses the same as half elf bonuses and people could just use the race as an awesome new RP option.
    Eh, personally, if a Half-Elf doesn't get any stat bonuses/penalties, I think Half-Drow also shouldn't get any.

I never played DnD so I have no idea if there's a description for Half-Drow stats anywhere, but if I was making guesses I'd think that a Half-Drow would be exactly like a Half-Elf except with half the Magic Resistance of a pureblood Drow.

Another question that I have is, if a Drow spent most of his life on the surface (which would be the case if Gorion had raised one) would they have any weakness under the Sun? I haven't read many FR novels, but at least in Salvatore's books I don't recall any mentions of Drizzt having problems being under the Sun in the more recent novels (though that could just be Salvatore taking some liberties).

Though, by all rights, Drizzt should be blind by now from staring at all those sunrises for the past 100 plus years.
    Well drow are pretty different to normal elves so half drow shouldn't be identical to half elves. I'd simply consider them as a completely different race like half orc or gnome rather than a sub elf. It gives lots of scope for a flavourful, distinct and balanced race.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Considering that Overhaul cannot/is not allowed to change core game mechanics, is there any point to being a drow? If the game doesn't react to that choice properly, treating you like a normal elf (did Baldur's Gate ever react to racial choice storywise?), then I think that whatever implementation of a drow race would be rather shoddy. Especially if Viconia is in the party.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Some NPCs are irritated by the presence of Viconia, but those reactions are few and far between. We would likely just ignore the fact that the player is a Drow, if we add sub-races.
    But it would seem weird when people try to kill Viconia simply for being a drow and not caring for the drow PC. If I remember correctly, when you meet Viconia for the first time she's being persecuted by the Flaming Fist yes? And you have the option to help her or not... well, maybe being a drow removes the option of leaving Viconia to her fate because the guards just assume you're going to help her.

I don't know how complicated that can be (I am, after all, a computer illiterate) and I don't know how much (if at all) you can change the original content but sounds like a relatively simple change that can do a lot to introduce consequence to the choice of being a drow.

Food for thought nonetheless.