Skip to content

Would you be happy if item destruction were removed from the game?

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
How would you feel if items were not destroyed and lost in the case of disintegration kills, petrification kills, cold damage kills, level drain kills, and possibly imprisonment kills? Would you prefer it if the loot were protected from harm and formed a neat pile on the ground whenever the person holding the loot got killed in one of these ways or do you prefer the loot be destroyed. You can use any reason you want to justify your vote. I am more interested in the numbers here.

And, of course, this poll is just for fun and will not result in any official changes to the game. Unless maybe pigs suddenly start flying...
  1. Would you be happy if item destruction were removed from the game?154 votes
    1. I would prefer the loot be destroyed.
      38.96%
    2. I would prefer the loot not be destroyed.
      40.91%
    3. Look! A flying pig!
      20.13%

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I should stop making my threads at night so I can get replies faster.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The current customizable situation with ToBEx is kind of nice. You could have disintegration spare loot and petrification ruin it if you wished.
  • brtl33brtl33 Member Posts: 17
    I think that part of what makes those spells interesting is that there is a cost to using them (beyond taking up a spell slot). Plus, it fits the lore of the spells themselves.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    That's the player's choice, though: use a Disintegrate spell to bypass a difficult enemy (and thereby lose the loot) or fight through the encounter.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Guys, guys. Great idea. Let's design a spell... now get this... there's a chance that it might kill a target instantly instead of doing nothing at all. But wait... I'm not done yet... on the off-chance it does work, it destroys all the loot! Isn't that awesome? Yeah? Guys? ...guys?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Picked the wrong option. I'm fine as is, and actually wouldn't mind if it was taken further to include item damage on failed saves (provided it cuts both ways).
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    There is consequence of using spells like flesh to stone or in critical death via cold etc. It's a part of the game.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    I end up just not using those spells that destroy loot. Would be nice to be able to add them to the rotation.

At the very least get rid of the cold damage loot destruction, I would like to be able to use Cone of Cold, and fire or acid would be just as likely to destroy items as cold. Don't take that out of context, lest every elemental damaging spell starts destroying items.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    For me all de nog magic loot may be destroyed. Not my great magic items
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    Do you want the spoils of war or just the carnage.Either way it's nice to have the choice.
  • CathiusCathius Member Posts: 18
    The loot should be destroyed. It's what comes with the spells. Use them on the trash, not on the bosses.

Used to take out firkraag in bg 2 with a sequencer of greater malison and a couple of lower resist spells. Then finish him off with finger of death, desintegrate or the like. So unsatisfying. No fun at all. It's a good thing they come with a consequence or the game would be ruined imo.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    It makes sense for Flesh to Stone or Imprisonment (and both can be reversed) but Cone of Cold and Disintegrate both have to compete with spells of a similar level that do the same thing but do NOT destroy loot, making them completely pointless.
    Also, neither Cone of Cold nor Disintegrate should destroy loot according to the original D&D rules.

I'd say, keep the loot for those spells (or tie it to difficulty, only making them destroy loot on Core Rules and harder).
  • Morte50Morte50 Member Posts: 161
    Though I think item destruction by Disintegrate and such makes sense and should stay in, I do agree with @MERLANCE that it should be removed for cold damage. Cold is hardly the most used form of spell-based elemental damage to begin with, and it doesn't really make much sense either. How does a bit of cold destroy (say) a piece of Plate Mail armor, especially an enchanted one? Sure, it is magic cold, but still... seems more plausible for magic fire to melt it, if anything.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Didn't know any loot was destroyed by effects other than the disintegrate spell...
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I've got a feeling that I read somewhere (maybe on these forums?) that if you turn down the gore animation items don't disintegrate. Is this true? Because if it is I guess it would be one way of making sure you don't lose your loot.
    @Permidion_Stark
    I just tested it out, the Gore option does indeed seem to work that way. That is, I Cone of Cold-ed the drunk above the Temple in Beregost, he drops a dagger with Gore=off, but nothing with Gore=on. Not sure whether it would also apply to Disintegrate and their ilk, but it seems likely.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    @Drugar

Actually they do...disintegrate is one of the examples mentioned when talking about items being affected by failed saves (A creature that fails a save vs a fireball would have it's carried items damaged, possibly destroyed if dealt sufficient damage. While a creature that fails vs disintegrate would be reduced to dust along with their carried possessions). And the spell does say a creature and it's possessions or a 10ft square of material if it doesn't strike a target.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    The truth is I would like the loot to be destroyed.

But I can't help but choose the flying pig option, I don't know why...
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Morte50 said:

@Permidion_Stark
    I just tested it out, the Gore option does indeed seem to work that way. That is, I Cone of Cold-ed the drunk above the Temple in Beregost, he drops a dagger with Gore=off, but nothing with Gore=on. Not sure whether it would also apply to Disintegrate and their ilk, but it seems likely.

Excellent. So that's problem solved then?
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I thought items being destroyed is one of the things that makes Baldur's Gate so awesome!

Smash orc, uh oh, run away, no club.

Excellent. So that's problem solved then?

In a way, sure. Though I think it should be decoupled from the Gore option since a) people might still want their gore and b) as is, it is a completely hidden feature. It doesn't really affect much in BG1 (realistically, just Wand of Frost I think) so it is more of an issue for BG2, though.

My preference would still be to remove it from cold damage altogether and restrict it to the specific spells where it makes sense thematically, and then to decouple it from the Gore option (either put a separate button or something in the .ini, or just have those spells always destroy items.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    In some cases at least it makes sense for items to be destroyed. I mean, you cast Imprisonment on Firkraag, he goes "Oops missed my save! Ah bother!" and proceeds to drop all his items plus a few scales on the ground before trudging off to his prison. I don't find that realistic. Same goes for Disintegration.

On the other hand, with Petrification you could argue that (at least some) items shouldn't be turned to stone along with the unfortunate victim but should be dropped on the ground or found on the statue afterwards.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Wait this can happen?!!? Wow I didn't realise this was an aspect of realism the game covered. Thankfully my party is too low level to have ever used such spells on enemies, and thus far, nobody has smashed a statue after somebody got petrified. Again, I didn't know the enemy AI did this. Once I lost a NPC to petrification trap, had no means of reviving him, so had to make a long trip outta the dungeon, back to a temple, buy scrolls etc... came back and he was still there :D
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Morte50 said:

@Permidion_Stark

Just tested it in BGEE (I've removed the experience cap) and yes if you turn the gore off then disintegrate won't get rid of items.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

Just tested it in BGEE (I've removed the experience cap) and yes if you turn the gore off then disintegrate won't get rid of items.

Another day and another surprise from the game...

I prefer that items get disintegrated... It does mean that some powerful spells get used on weaker monsters... Ones that don't carry worthy loot...

But is there anythingmore satisfying than disintegrating a Gibberling?

... It is comparable to popping bubble wrap ...

*pop*
  • prem0nitionprem0nition Member Posts: 65
    I'd prefer for loot not to be destroyed in all honesty, unless it's story related (aka the iron crisis). I don't think I have used Disintegrate or Flesh to Stone in any of my playthroughs because of this, at least until mods came around that allowed you to turn this feature off.

Saying that however, I actually wouldn't have a problem with loot destruction if it was only connected to minor/consumable items (scrolls, potions, ammo etc) instead of the big stuff like Swords/armour/necklaces etc. I'd even be happy to see these items destroyed on failed saves as it would add some challenge to the game rather than be punishing like the loss of a magic weapon/armour would be (especially if it was a unique item)
  • AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72
    I generally find it annoying since, for me, all it does is waste a few minutes as I opt to save scum it typically.