Skip to content

How much would you pay for a new NPC DLC in BG2:EE ?

13»

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Around $3-5,- whether I believe I like them or not.

I'm a completionist and have faith in your writing abilities that even an NPC that seems boring on paper might intrest me afterall.
    However, this is providing that it's not just a bare-bones NPC (figuratively, not a literal skeleton, you have to spell these things out with D&D) but one with a personal sidequest the size of Edwin's (so one that spans for longer than "check this place, kill a monster, take an item") and several banters with other NPC's.

I'd pay extra if the character was A) a (female) dwarf and/or B) had a romance not with the player but with another partymember, which I feel is a venue rarely explored by games. I found watching Aerie and Haer'dalis' relationship unfold (and later crash) almost more interesting than my own.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'd pay for a literal skeleton NPC.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I'm tired of playing second fiddle to NPCs that are illegal (Dorn) or catering to the quests of useless companions (Rasad). I own this world, it's about ME 24/7, not my supporting cast. Go make me a sammich Neera! Nobody cares if you cast fireball on the party I am immune to fire!
  • ElessarElessar Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2013
    Personally I am not as interested in this right now, since I haven't played through BG2 more than 3 times or so, so I don't yet need new content to spice it up. I understand the appeal, though.

I know there's contract issues, but I would be more interested in DLCs that add more quests to promote greater integration in the already expansive world. Something like building on the mindflayer conspiracy possibility or adding more options beyond the shadow thieves and vampires for getting to Spellhold. I figure maybe if we pay some for DLCs they might be able to afford to renegotiate something on that front.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I wonder if this idea is still in the air:

"Would you be willing to put your money where your mouth is? If we made new NPCs addons, would you be willing to pay for them to fund their creation?"

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/351256/#Comment_351256

After a certain time has passed since the release of BG2EE I think I would pay for a new NPC as an addon. The game still needs a good dwarf, for e.g. If I could have a dwarven cleric as an NPC in BG2, I would certainly get it, even if I have to pay.

There can be other options, appealing to me: a barbarian NPC, a druid NPC, a bard NPC...

Now I think that 5 USD could be a good price for a fully developed NPC, with personal quests and items, maybe even a romance.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Having had enough time to fully evaluate the EE NPCs, I'd have to change my answer to no.

The writing for Dorn, Rasaad, Hexxat and Neera is just too rushed, too inconsistent, too unpolished to warrant shelling out cash for more of the same. Granted, Beamdog's current line is that they're free of the factors that constrained them during the making of the BG EEs... but I need to see concrete evidence that they can do better before giving them another penny.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    I voted $6 if I liked the character -- more if the NPC was part of a new adventure. I'd like to see the devs repeat what worked with Neera -- have beamdog create an outline and have Ossian studios do the writing. And I agree with @bengoshi -- a good dwarf cleric would be ideal.
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    Id pay up to $10 or so, if the Npc was integrated through the full saga like the others Overhaul added.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    I would pay around $5 for a BG2 NPC. But I would want them to be well-written. That's more important than their class or stats.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    There's already plenty of NPCs to choose from, I'd see no need to pay for any more of them. Not to mention that there are a number of user made NPCs that are just as good as some of the originals that I could get for free if were so inclined.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Would new official content be worth it more for portable devices? I mean, if they have trouble installing mods on them?

They did have spacing issues as well with these (I think either Android or IOS has a app size maximum limit). I really don't know how large each of their current NPC mods is from a download standpoint (since I've only ever owned the full game via mac/pc) but I imagine that would also factor into this.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    $10, easy.

But the NPC would have to be well-written and interesting.

More Neera and Rasaad, less Dorn and Hexxat.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited October 2014

Who here doesn't like Aerie or Cernd?

I don't. Aerie is whiny and Cernd is pompous.

I think the major question is whether the writers are able or willing to revise the characters post-release. It's very hard to justify Hexxat's $2.99 price tag on iTunes given the way she's currently written (especially with regards to her quest structure and ToB content). But as long as they're still being patched, it's still theoretically possible to fix the outstanding issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited October 2014
    this poll was anonymous, I wonder what past me voted for

present day me would pay up to 10$ for some one I liked i.e Neera. I wouldn't pay at all for some one I didn't want i.e Hexxat or Dorn. If I could have paid a few quid less for bg2EE and not had Hexxat id have taken that option.

as far as dlc goes id choose either NPCs or new KITs over any other options
  • StevevdlStevevdl Member Posts: 73
    I wouldn't mind paying a fee for extra NPC's. The question is why only BG2
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    If its one or more NPCs with new quests and items in new areas I would pay $10 or more.
    Also worth pointing out: for all that I personally don't have any use for the Black Pits, BP2 does introduce a whole array of NPCs who might make for interesting party members in the main game (ie: Voghiln, Brother Ellraish, Mercy Whitedove, Gezzthemin, Feldrak, etc.)
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I would pay up to $10 dollars maybe even a little bit more if it was like a mini expansion with new NPCs areas items and quest5s
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    Ehh maybe like 5 bucks an NPC. There are so many in BG2 already though at this stage. I'd rather just see more ToB related content (additional areas, quests to flesh out Saradush and Amkethran more, etc).