Skip to content

Your ideas on new NPCs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    It'd be nice to have another woman capable of melee besides Jaheira (Mazzy's not really built for it) - maybe a female dwarf barbarian or Dwarven Defender?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Can i develop it here later? Just saving an early slot for my idea :)!
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    kamuizin said:

Can i develop it here later? Just saving an early slot for my idea :)!

Let me get on this train!
    If not, well, you and I can be on the same railroad cart!

...saving space.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    edited September 2013

This is actually a character I created for my next BG1:EE playthrough (to be imported in BG2:EE), but I think she would've been an ideal BG2:EE NPC.

Lucia - Undead Hunter

Str - 16
    Dex - 17
    Con - 15
    Int - 13
    Wis - 13
    Char - 18

Where you find her: In the graveyard - she approaches you from the darkness if you've just turned down Bodhi's offer.

Her story: She's been sent by her paladin clan on a mission to kill the head of the mysterious new guild in Athkatla. She's been staking out Bodhi's headquarters and watched you refuse her offer. She approaches you with an offer to join forces and eventually defeat Bodhi together. She agrees to help you rescue Imoen if you promise to go after Bodhi upon your return. As an Undead Hunter, she's well-suited for taking on Bodhi's clan both from an RP and PG perspective.

I was thinking something similar and that means someone should pop-up if you decide to join Bodhi against the Shadow Thieves. If there will be a vampire npc available i guess this is the place to put him/her. But how do you solve daylight issues?
    My best guess would be a human (?) assasin. The vampires convinced him/her to leave the thieves guild to work for them, and now he/she will see her baptism of fire fighting her old friends.

Str-17
    Dex-18
    Con-13
    Int-12
    Wis-12
    Cha-8
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I agree that another melee capable female character would be appropriate. It is telling that of the female characters only 2 are melee (Mazzy & Jaheira), while of male characters only 2 are non-melee (Jan & Edwin).

It would also be nice to see more Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome & Half-Orc characters. There's one of each in BG2:EE at present and variety is the spice of life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    edited September 2013
    Not a race/class combo idea, but I'd find more non-angsty NPCs agreeable. With the exception of one or two, CHARNAME ends up as unlicenced therapist to many of the possible joinable NPCs.

While talking to your friends about tough and distressing issues is a part of friendship, it's a one-way street in BG2. Dragon Age: Origins subverted the trope nicely by having Wynne ask the main character how they felt about a number of major events and any developing relationships.

While NPCs with emotional scars offer development opportunities and a sense of vulnerability, we may have enough already. There is adequate scope to subvert the idea, either by having one NPC play confidante to another or to the PC.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    Good-aligned Female Half-Orc Barbarian. We have no Barbarians and only one (evil) Half-Orc.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2013
    Sounds like a fun topic. :)
    Let's give this monster NPC for BG1:EE and perhaps also BG2:EE later on a try, shall we?

Name: Ulmrougha
    Race: Orc
    Class: Cleric/Thief multiclass
    Alignment: Chaotic Evil
    Deity: Shargaas; Orc deity of darkness, thieves and undeath.
    Blood Type: O Green Negative
    Zodiac Sign: Gemini
    Favourite Food: Green Calishite (cheese)
    Favourite Colour: Brown
    Likes: Carnivorous flowers, black comedy, giant arthropods, curses and necromancy.
    Dislikes: The colour "white", elves, dwarves, sweets, and rodents of all kinds.
    Last Known Location: Baldur's Gate East, Shop of Silence.

Strength: 17
    Dexterity: 15
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 13
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 9

Racial Ability Score Adjustments: +1 Str; -2 Cha; As written in The Complete Book of Humanoids.
    Special Advantage: 60-foot infavision.
    Special Disadvantage: -1 penalty to attack rolls and morale when in direct sunlight.

Thievery Skills in which she excels the most:
    Move Silently
    Hide in Shadows
    Detect Illusion
    Set Traps

Weapon Proficiencies
    Sling: *
    Quarterstaff: *
    Two-Handed Weapon Style: *

Edit:
    Replaced darts with sling. Kudos to @belgarathmth for pointing it out!
    Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    When I still had lots of free time, I made a setup for a human assassin, whom you could pick up while visiting Renal Bloodscalp's thieves guild. He'd be the son of a Cleric of Bhaal (all of whose followers were killed in the Time of Troubles) and revel in the chance to support an actual Child of Bhaal to his or her ascension.
    No romance choice (he'd be too humble to hit on his future deity) but he would make passes at Viconia and try to convince Imoen to embrace her darker side (if I'd actually gotten the hang of the code, I'd work in a sub-mod where the assassin and Charname would work together to corrupt her). CN Anomen would also be a prime target for him to try and bring down to his level.
    Keldorn would begin balking almost immediately after him joining the party, demanding his departure. If Charname chose Keldorn's side and made the assassin leave, after a few rests he would ambush the party at a sleeping attempt, backstabbing Keldorn before drinking a potion of invisibility and running off.
    His banters would be about informing Charname about his/her father and the dogma of Bhaal's church as well as offering to help Charname rebuild the church (or cult really) after Throne of Bhaal.

However, with the addition of an evil thief in BG2:EE, he seems redundant now and I don't have time (or talent) to code it anyway. Ah well.

Another option that I would love to see would be Tamoko. She's a character that's just ripe for NPC'ing, she fleshes out Yoshimo (and makes his eventual fate all the more tragic)
    He's already geased into doing Irenicus' will, he doesn't have a choice but to betray his sister when he meets her and joins up with Charname
    and can be interesting conversation fodder for Sarevok in ToB.
    Not to mention, having another cleric in the game never hurts, especially a neutral one who's not Anomen. (I believe she is neutral, I understand if it's up for discussion, but this thread is probably not the place).

Other than that, aside from Sigrun in Dragon Age: Awakenings and Dorna in Shadows of Undrentide, I don't know of any dwarven female NPC's in RPG's to join the main character. A female Dwarven Defender, as a non-standard romance option, could be a strong character.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Good alignment Dwarf fighter or cleric NPC for BG2:EE!!!!!!!!! ( seriously.. I don't know why there isn't one..)
    I really liked your assassin idea @Drugar, but i think Tamoko is a bit too much history break, after all her death is the base of Sarevok end biography in ToB.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @kamuizin
    Thank you.
    I agree that adding Tamoko in any official capacity (so, through Beamdog as an offical NPC) could never work, nor could the corruption of Imoen (since this changes her personality and behavior to the point of contract breach). If anyone wants to steal the idea though, they're more than welcome (in fact, I'm willing to write any or all dialogue for such a mod, I can write like a motherf..adgekin but my coding skills are abysmal.)

The way I envisioned the assassin (by the workname of Armagan) was, like @Corvino suggested, not as an NPC who has issues that need resolving or needs a shoulder to cry on, but his own man and a possible mentor to the protagonist, his confidante and sidekick.
    I really enjoyed Garrus from Mass Effect who, despite having *some* issues, was also a total bro to Shephard, always had his back, wasn't too melodramatic while also being a ruthless killer when needed. That was kind of what I was going to go for.
    @kamuizin is quite correct about Tamoko. Sarevok's ending mentions him burying her remains in her homeland. As the Overhaul team contractually cannot change existing characters, this is her canon fate despite being able to avoid fighting her outside the temple of Bhaal.

A pity, but there you go.

@kaeloree has hinted elsewhere that BG1 NPCs who do not appear in vanilla BG2 may be able to put in appearances in BG2:EE though. It has not been divulged if this is as brief cameos or more fully-formed roles.
  • StinkyStinky Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2013
    Jaro
    Half-Elf
    Swashbuckler
    Chaotic Neutral

Str 17
    Dex 16
    Con 12
    Int 17
    Wis 10 (self perceived wisdom 18)
    Cha 15

Thief Skill priorities - Find Traps -> Detect Illusion -> Open Locks -> Set Traps

Weapon Proficiency - Short Sword + Two Weapon Style ++

You could come across him as a captive in the bandit camp tormenting his gnoll guards by trying to turn the pair against each other.

He is the quintessential example of an intellectual nihilist. At some point in his development, he abandoned his previous life and chose - through (somewhat skewed) reasoning and logic to follow a nihilistic (chaotic neutral) life of wandering and contemplation, making some quick cash when he can through whatever means necessary. There is opportunity here for his past to come back on him at some point during the game for his quest in the form of estranged family or loved ones.

He's a generally friendly and cheerful fellow that's happy to take part in any shenanigans, in part to alleviate his bordem with the mundane practices of a normal socio-economic slave life and in part because of the predatory glee he experiences in turning order into chaos and rustling everyone's jimmies. He's not especially malicious about it (unless provoked), but is rather a cheeky subversive tease, trying to convince people that their morals (good or bad) are a weakness to be let go of.

I see him as being like a dark humour comic relief style character that will occasionally come out with some great pseudo-philosophical conclusions on the development of the story - usually revolving around how everything is chaos and everyone is evil e.g. even the kindest of paladins is perceived as a terrifying monster by a kobold and objectively, ridding the world of a monster is still just murder veiled with good intention. This justifies his often whimsical approach to violence and killing. He's not an inherently good or bad person as he's arrived where he is through inner debate and observation. He's extremely perceptive, but tends to view things skewed to fit his own rhetoric.

Though generally charming, I can see that he might be a love him or hate him type character for players because like Xan (pessimism), he is kind of the personification of an idea (nihilism).

I know there are a ton of thieves already, but I can't really imagine him working as anything else. Maybe a crazy mage, but I prefer the idea of him associated with some sort of physical expression.

Edit: On second thought, probably too similar to Xan in all respects. It's kind of just a charming and happy version of him.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited September 2013
    Fighter/thief
    Chaotic neutral
    Str: 18/whatever
    Dex: 17
    Con: 13
    Int: 11
    wis: 8
    Cha: 10

Priority: move silently/hide, open locks, detect traps, lay traps

Found in BG1 in thieves guild in trouble for failing his theft and resorting to killing his target to stay safe from the guard. The guild is furious with him and are sending him away. When you leave he approaches and recognizes you as the one who's been across the sword coast and offers his abilities in stealth.

Found in BG2 in a vampire encounter at the docks. He is now with the shadow thieves who appreiate his ability to kill. He joins up but will leave if you later choose to help bodhi.

Didn't think of any kind of personal story, just a tough thief who doesn't take chances, but isn't really evil
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    character idea - bare outlines

a Fallen paladin who is looking to redeem themself you either help them to do so or convince them to abandon there cause altogethor
    @stinky I sort of like the idea for Jaro. The existing comic relief characters tend toward the "crazy" or wacky. Smart, bleak and with a skewed view on morality can work very well. Your description reminds me a little of the character of Alan Shore in Boston legal.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Corvino Sorry, that's definitely not something I've hinted at! Perhaps you saw a post where I was talking about the BG1NPC mod? We're not changing or anything related to the BG1 NPCs for BG2EE as far as I'm aware.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    bengoshi said:

Portgas D. Ace, also known as Fire Fist Ace

[...]

Dude in the pic has 6 STR if you're generous :D
    @Kaeloree sorry, I must have misinterpreted your post. Thanks for the clarification.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    I wish there would be some character like Riddick in Baldur's Gate. A criminal, loner hero chilling somewhere in Spellhold. Maybe a fallen Aasimar =)

P.S.:
    When I first saw the portrait of Rasaad long before the official release (it was hidden on the right corner of the main paige of the site) - I thought the devs really made an NPC like him (Rasaads portrait was in black-white and he looked like Vin Diesel).
    P.P.S.:
    I remember in Fallout: Tactics you could recruit Riddick (the real Riddick in the Pitch Black encounter).
    Corvino said:

@kamuizin is quite correct about Tamoko. Sarevok's ending mentions him burying her remains in her homeland. As the Overhaul team contractually cannot change existing characters, this is her canon fate despite being able to avoid fighting her outside the temple of Bhaal.

A pity, but there you go.

@kaeloree has hinted elsewhere that BG1 NPCs who do not appear in vanilla BG2 may be able to put in appearances in BG2:EE though. It has not been divulged if this is as brief cameos or more fully-formed roles.

In fact i meant even as a mod, while we can do anything with mods even unnoficial an Tamoko NPC without a way to change Sarevok's end would become a bit storybreak for the own player. Don't know if the end of the characters in ToB is changeable.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I would create a sexy, female, evil assassin who can be a love interests. But murders you in your sleep after collecting your seed. :D aka my ex-wife!

I would introduce the dark hunter kit with an NPC. See the Evil Ranger Kit in the features forum for details.

An aquatic elf sorcerer who is looking for his missing niece, who ran away from home to be a surface dweller.

A powerful dwarf fighter who wants to be a monk, but isn't.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited September 2013

Fighter/thief
    Chaotic neutral
    Str: 18/whatever
    Dex: 17
    Con: 13
    Int: 11
    wis: 8
    Cha: 10

Priority: move silently/hide, open locks, detect traps, lay traps

Found in BG1 in thieves guild in trouble for failing his theft and resorting to killing his target to stay safe from the guard. The guild is furious with him and are sending him away. When you leave he approaches and recognizes you as the one who's been across the sword coast and offers his abilities in stealth.

Found in BG2 in a vampire encounter at the docks. He is now with the shadow thieves who appreiate his ability to kill. He joins up but will leave if you later choose to help bodhi.

Didn't think of any kind of personal story, just a tough thief who doesn't take chances, but isn't really evil

sorry got home and had a picture that I can't edit in unfortunately. I loved this picture when I saw it on the forum and use it for my own f/t

ok, how do I make the picture actually show up?

nevermind, wow I had a lot of editing. and I didn't need this second post

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2013
    Never happen BUT.....

Zanath

Elan CG T/M

13/16/12/15/13/16

Priority: Detect Illusion, Disarm Traps, Open locks, move silently, hide, set traps, pickpocket

Favors daggers, longswords, and darts.

Favors enchantment and Illusion spells

(New race, if they want to make it playable)

(Elan Qualities: Immune to spells and effects that only affect humanoids (such as charm person or hold person), -2 maximum charisma otherwise the same as a human. Can be any Non-divine class or multiclass. Elan like all psionic races are too interested in self-discovery and mastery of themselves to devote themselves deeply to a faith or ideal. They might pay homage to patron, but never to the degree of direct servitude. Monks, Sorcerers, and Mages are common vocations).

Special abilities -
    Once per day can cast Resilience (special version of stoneskin with a single skin, can block both physical and magical damage. Casts instantly and ignores the 1 spell per round limit. Lasts 6 seconds.)

Once per day can cast Resistance (Boosts all saves by +5 for 6 seconds. Casts instantly and ignores the 1 spell per round limit).

Once per day can cast Replenish (Resets the user's fatigue counter).

Found: In the Planar Sphere, in the same room as the Knights.

Another traveler caught within the Planar Sphere, Zanath hails from the land of Solis. He apologizes for a lack of further details, citing a befuddling fog that had taken his mind and memories following a rejoining of his previously fractured psyches. Possessing two personalities since his early days as a result of a trauma he cannot recall, a ritual was attempted to join the two as one, which succeeded to a point, but resulted in a jumbling of his memories prior to that event. Soon after he encountered the Sphere while investigating a recent disturbance and came to be where you've found him now. One result of this joining is that his moods can switch from boisterous and jovial to extreme arrogance and ruthlessness and back without missing a beat. However despite his occasional bouts of extreme Ego, he remains firmly entrenched to good, and greatly dislikes outright harming others unless left with no alternatives, preferring instead to by-pass problems through stealth, illusions or charms.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on