Skip to content

Which Evil Alignment Do You Prefer to Play?

MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
This is the first of a series of polls to see how significant alignment tendencies are for us in role playing our PCs (and NPCs). While "messier," tendencies provide both complexity and subtlety to the standard nine alignment matrix. On the other hand, they can also add unnecessary tedium to the game.

The Good and Neutral alignment tendency polls may be found here:
Which Good Alignment Do You Prefer to Play?
Which Neutral Alignment Do You Prefer to Play?

Instructions: From the list below, choose the Evil alignment you most enjoy playing.

*I didn't include Lawful Evil (TN) or Chaotic Evil (TN) because there are only 10 poll options. Feel free to indicate this in the comments if you prefer to play one of those alignments. There is an option in the poll for Neutral alignments that allows you to choose True Neutral with a tendency toward one of the four absolute alignments.

**I started with the Evil alignments because I'm fond of playing Evil PCs/parties and thought I might as well be true to the alignment and act in self-interest.) ^ ^
  1. Which Evil Alignment Do You Prefer to Play?179 votes
    1. Lawful Evil (LN tendencies)
      12.29%
    2. Lawful Evil
      17.32%
    3. Lawful Evil (NE tendencies)
        7.26%
    4. Neutral Evil (LE tendencies)
        7.82%
    5. Neutral Evil
      20.11%
    6. Neutral Evil (TN tendencies)
        8.38%
    7. Neutral Evil (CE tendencies)
        5.03%
    8. Chaotic Evil (NE tendencies)
        1.68%
    9. Chaotic Evil
      12.85%
    10. Chaotic Evil (CN tendencies)
        7.26%
Post edited by Mortianna on

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Permidion_Stark Awww =( Not even evil in make-believe?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Lawful Evil is pretty nice, because you can justify just about anything. Helping someone kill the monsters? Sure, because I get a reward. Kill someone? Sure, because I can just take a reward, provided of course nobody sees me do it. Win-win!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Mortianna said:

@Permidion_Stark Awww =( Not even evil in make-believe?

I'd like to be bad. I'm just not drawn that way.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I can't even answer this. The only possible answer would be "none of the above". I am good to the core. Sorry to disillusion you, @Mortianna, but some people really are basically good, to the point where we won't even *pretend* to be evil.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I always found the Tanar'ri to be the most sympathetic, passionate and (strangely enough) honest berks within the Great Wheel. True, they may be evil, anarchic and corrupt to the core... but they sure know how to party! And the mariliths--*gasp* to die for! :3
    @belgarathmth It's okay. I initially had an "I don't play no stinking evil PCs" category, but I had to make room for the others.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Mortianna, that's too bad. I strongly suspect you would have seen an overwhelming number of people selecting that option. I think it would have been at least 50 percent of respondents under that option, with the other 50 percent spread among all the "evil" options.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Sometimes you just want an Imp.

And sometimes you just have to monopolise the local iron resource poor economy and let the poor people starve while carrying ridiculous amounts of money in my backpack...

As long as it is all above board as they say...
    @belgarathmth That's why I'm creating a poll for the Good alignments. I'm not so much interested in the distribution of good/neutral/evil players as much as people's preferences for the various tendencies (if any). It'll be interesting to see if any "non-good" players comment on how they cannot, in "good" conscience, answer any of the options.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Same here - Although I've made numerous "evil" characters I've never actually played past Ch. 1 with any of them. The only exception to this was one time I made a NE thief who liked to steal but tried to avoid murder whenever possible. He was an "evil" character but wasn't so evil he deliberately sought destruction and avoided conflict if possible.

Generally though I've never really been able to pull off a truly evil character since I find even the mere intention to be evil to be somewhat morally questionable. I've played evil characters in games on occasion simply for the experience, but at the end I tend to feel like I need a long shower. I do it occasionally because I like to question moral boundaries and ask myself what is really good vs. what has become little more than illogical dogma since a lot of injustice and evil likes to disguise itself in the cloak of good. A great many evils in the world start out as little more than a misinterpreted good. After all -

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Hahahahah! I am become death, destroyer of worlds!

Whenever I play evil I feel like I should just go all out and murder everyone. Lawful evil always seemed really sleazy character to me, like setting up an undefeatable carnival game.
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    Lawful Evil, Lawful Neautral tendancies. I like my evil to be ideological, not impulsive.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited September 2013
    I like to play a manipulative monster like Kil'jaeden, from WarCraft!

Lawful Evil: I tend to be, well, manipulative. Or shady.
    Neutral Evil: GLaDOS
    Chaotic Evil: dolan
    Post edited by SCARY_WIZARD on
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Meet Brux.

Starting Abilities
    STR 19
    DEX 18
    CON 19
    INT 14
    WIS 18
    CHA 5

A tall half-orc, chaotic evil, fighter/cleric of Tempus. He is quick to anger, devoid of honor, absent of compassion, and thoroughly cunning. If he is not in the act of fighting, he is thinking about how to get into the act of fighting. Killing innocent humans to draw the attention of the Flaming Fist mercenary company is just another day in the life of Brux. He moves through the realms like a shark, sniffing out blood. Dual maces, full plate, and an appetite for destruction. You know you're bad when Dorn is the diplomat of the party.

I keep Rassad alive simply so I can knock him out in a fist fight every time I walk through (the now vacant) streets of Nashkel. Tempus laughs at his kicking.

• BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    I like being the lone wolf type
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Can't answer, despite (or maybe because?) I play evil in 90 % of my runs. I have a charname per alignment type and play them equally. No "tendencies" on either, just 1 LE, 1 NE and 1 CE.
    @mortianna: no, I think both Machiavellianism and narcissism fit under neutral evill, and you don't necessarily have to have a psychological condition to be evil, but most are probably at least a little off.
    Also, I think the term Machiavellianism is a little hard on Machiavelli. He wasn't as bad as people though, he just vented in his book a little. But still, chaotic evil. I have always had a soft spot for psychopaths.
    ( I actually HAVE seen dragons with feet like rabbits, it's true, I swear.)
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Yea, Machiavelli was mainly cynical the way I read him. The adjective is evil tho :)
    @Meagloth I see Machiavellianism (as the political philosophy of Machiavelli, not a representation of his person) as pragmatic and, as @Atistillus said, cynical. The reason I said it fit well with Lawful Evil is because Machiavellians would be more likely prefer a nicely, orderly system to manipulate in their favor than an anarchic, everyone-for-oneself state of affairs. Neutral Evil certainly could work as well.

I agree with you that psychological conditions have no direct bearing on one's "goodness" or "evilness."

And, while there's a strong genetic component to psychopathy, the environment in which psychopaths were raised plays a important role in how they turn out. If a psychopath had a generally positive childhood socialization in a functional home, then that person will most likely never actualize what their psychopathic "nature/genetic propensity" is capable of. On the other hand, if a psychopath's upbringing or childhood experiences were negative...well, the film, "Hannibal Rising," is a good depiction of that path.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Chaotic evil. Go big or go home baby =)
    @Mortianna gotcha. This makes since. Just don't want Machiavelli to look bad, I always liked him.
    I'm a little weird.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    If I play evil, 99 times out of 100 im playing a beserker, so I have to be chaotic evil, plus it conveniently makes your reputation smaller so when your rep starts to go up, chaotic evil helps by starting it at a low level so all thoses par-tay members don't leave
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    As others I find it hard to play evil. I try but I think I am pathetic evil which was not an option in the poll
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I have a hard time playing evil honestly, so lawful. I can justify good deeds that way XD
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I like lawful evil but crazy evil (chaotic evil) is a blast.
  • Playing Lawful Evil helps me to justify doing "good" (i.e. reputation enhancing) as playing the long game and keeping people from realizing how much of a threat I am. If I can get away with it and the payoff is good enough, though, I will break my word/code/laws/whatever you think "lawful" means. Basically it comes down to reputation and plausible deniability.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I also can't really seem to manage being evil. When I try to do it in a mechanical sense, I find that it sucks all the immersion out of the game for me. With every choice I wouldn't feel I would really make if I had been there I get an obvious feeling I'm just playing a game to kill some time: I don't really sink into it, feel myself being in my character's shoes or, most importantly, enjoy it.

If I were to play evil though, it would likely be lawful evil. As has been discussed before, good tends to be more interesting when it leans toward chaotic, and evil tends to be more interesting when it leans toward lawful.