Skip to content

The hypothetical weapons thread

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
There remain a great deal of weapon proficiencies in AD&D, which (for one reason or another) didn't make it into the Baldur's Gate games.

Some of us are already satisfied with BG:EE's selection of weapon profinciencies. While others may prefer the original Baldur's Gate 1 profiencies in that regard. Yet still others perhaps wish for a greater weapon variety altogether. And this is exactly what this thread is all about: here you can vote and discuss what missing weapon you'd like to see (or the lack thereof) to make an appearance at some point.

And who knows, maybe Overhaul could plan to include additional weapon proficiencies based on our preferences for Baldur's Gate 3? Eh? Eh? :P

Due to the great variety of AD&D weapon proficiencies, I had to simplify the poll categories a bit. Just vote for the category your favourite weapon is listed in and clarify your choice with a post if you wish to. :)

Personally, I always had an peculiar interest in both Bec de corbins and Lucern hammers. Such magnificient polearms they are! :3
  1. The hypothetical weapons thread89 votes
    1. Bladed Weapons: Dirk, Knife, Main-Gauche, Stiletto, Broad Sword, Claymore, Cutlass, Drusus, Falchion, Kopesh.
      13.48%
    2. Hafted Weapons: Two-Handed Axe, Hand Axe, Footman's Flail, Horseman's Flail, Maul, Footman's Mace, Horseman's Mace, Military Pick, Footman's Pick, Horseman's Pick, Sickle.
      12.36%
    3. Misc Weapons: Aklys, Atlatl, Blackjack, Belaying Pin, Bolas, Caltrop, Caviler, Cesturs, Chain, Fang, Gaff/Hook, Garrot, Jo Stick, Lasso, Net, Nunchaku, Sai, Sap, Scourge, Spiked Buckler, Three-Piece Rod, Tui-Fa, Metal Whip, Rawhide Whip.
      10.11%
    4. Missile Weapons: Arquebus, Blowgun, Blunderbus, Flight Bow, Hand Crossbow, Harpoon, Javelin, Musket, Shuriken, Staff Sling, Starwheel Pistol.
        6.74%
    5. Pole Weapons: Bo Stick, Heavy Lance, Jousting Lance, Light Lance, Medium Lance, Mancatcher, Awl Pike, Bardiche, Bec de corbin, Bill-Guisame, Fauchard, Fauchard-Fork, Glaive, Glaive-Guisame, Guisame, Guisame-Vouge, Hook Fauchard, Lucern Hammer, Military Fork, Naginata, Partisan, Ranseur, Spetum, Tetsubo, Voulge, Long Spear, Tritent.
        7.87%
    6. Smoke Powder Weapons: Arquebus, Blunderbus, Caviler, Musket, Starwheel Pistol.
        3.37%
    7. The Holy Hand-Grenade: Super effective against killer bunnies, miniature giant space hamsters and demigod chinchillas alike!
      20.22%
    8. Other.
        2.25%
    9. None.
        7.87%
    10. Just let me see the results already, damnit! D:
      15.73%

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Once I saw this was an option I had to choose it :)
    edited September 2013
    As a second option I'd go with hafted weapons. I want a two-handed axe :)
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Given my name, It wasn't terribly hard to guess which one I'd pick. Though I'd have included Rapiers there as well.

Second choice would be Misc Weapons. Chains, whips and spiked bucklers oh my.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    This with a donkey and the super sheep! we already have a falling cow so I see no reason why not...
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    Also the weapon of choice for surface-to-air against coconut-carrying swallows.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    This poll probably has too many options, everyone is choosing holy hand grenade. I'm not really familiar with d&d outside of the BG games, but I would like more dagger type weapons and things that an assassin would use. More types of dagger, I would like this to be more better. Maybe THAC0 +1?
    Anyone who chooses black powder is gonna get hell and high water from me. This DOES NOT belong in fantasy. I mean this in the nicest way possible:)
    Also in real life, lances and polearms and the like would only be used on horseback, there too heavy and cumbersome to do anything else.
    Xanar said:

Also the weapon of choice for surface-to-air against coconut-carrying swallows.

African or European?
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Rifled Musket with breech-loading bullets and percussion caps.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @Shandyr: As scythes are polearms they would fall under pole weapons. ;)

@meagloh: A poll can never have too many choices. :P As for black powder weaponry: as far as I know they have always existed in D&D. On top of that most of them are build by dwarves.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Whips, lassos and other bondage types. For Viconia of course.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @kamigoroshi I know they exist in d&d, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I voted hafted weapons mostly for two-handed axes. I love them, and am constantly annoyed that they aren't in BG or BG2. Furthermore, they were incorporated into IWD2, but embarrassingly use the same graphics as halberds, meaning my characters are usually shown to be thrusting with them. It looks terrible.
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2013
    @elminster Well, everyone knows the European variety is too small to carry a coconut :D

Seriously though, it's highly unlikely we'll see a change to weapon specializations if Overhaul can't make changes to the existing games. IMHO it was very silly to change as they did in BG2. A mace and morningstar function in an identical way and the same for bastard swords and long swords. Can a person adept at using a quarterstaff not figure out how to wield a spear just as effectively because it has 1 pointy end? I must go ponder this.

*wanders off humming* "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"...
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I desire to see the aklys, yes, thank you, good-bye!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    elminster said:

As a second option I'd go with hafted weapons. I want a two-handed axe :)

Two-handed axe and two-handed hammer were my first thoughts. I wouldn't mind a bit more variation with small weapons for thieves, too, but in a poll, a giant two-handed axe and hammer takes priority.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    More two handed weapon options would be good indeed, since we only have the greatsword (or two-handed sword, whichever term one wishes to use), spears, halberds and quarterstaves...
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    a shotgun that fires exploding scimitars. borderlands 2 has one, why can't BG? O.o

also, i preferred the vanilla BG weapon proficiency system =)
  • Flail?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    No scythe?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

No scythe?

OH YES PLEASE.

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Smoke Powder Weapons? I don't want to see such an abomination in Baldur's Gate series. Just saiyan'.
    They already exist in Faerun, though they're more like Chinese cannons.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    There are enough bladed weapons. More exotic missile weapons would be great fun!
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Mechanics wise there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for new weapons - even the ones currently in use could do with a redesign of the d4-d6-d8-d10 system for some depth. Barring that, even if a cutlass ends up functionally identicall to a scimitar, it'd of course still be nice to have the option for the sake of RP.
    Perhaps hybrid weapons, that do partial slashing/bludgeoning or other combinations.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Shandyr said:

What category would scythes be in?

Farm tools. ;)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I want my character to wear a black robe and carry a scythe. I am Death and I come for thee!

No scythe?

OH YES PLEASE.

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I too, would like to wield an enormous two-handed axe when wading into my enemies...

However, given the option, I would like my Gnome to be armed with a gun, bullets and smoke powder...
    (plus, they are sort of already in the game... it would act just like a crossbow but fire bullets...)

No, I have stated that... I want to change my option to huge two-handed axes please...