Skip to content

Phase II: Hardware Compatibility Test

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Crawley
    You'll want to grab the latest driver from here.
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    Thought that might be it, though I prefer sticking with the one's issue by Dell. Still will update though and check somewhere during weekend.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013
    Another system to report in:
    Intel Core i7 2600K + AMD Radeon HD6970:

The good: No microfreezes on spell casts (contrary to my AMD Phenom II x4 965 + nVidia GeForce GTX470)
    The bad: Partial Transparency glitches, see here:
    @AendaeronBluescale
    Where's the glitch you're seeing?
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013
    @Dee
    There's a strange quadratic glow below the fireplace. Location: Shank's encounter, Candlekeep
    Ahh, yes. That's actually there in the live version as well. It's been logged (and it's listed in the List of Known Issues as well).
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Is it just me or does the pathfinding seem slightly worse than before. I commanded my party to walk from within the FAI to outside, west of the walls and one of my party members seemed to think he could climb right over the wall and didn't change his mind right up until he hit the edge of it.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Zizz said:

- i would kill for a "close" button on all these screens, preferably in the upper right corner

This ! how could we not want this.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    While we're on the subject of windowed interface: I'd like the windows to close if you click somewhere outside the interface. That would negate the need for a close button.

If you're ever going to redesign the portrait interface, I'd like the option to just select one file and have Baldur's Gate figure out the other portrait files (i.e. replace the S/M/L suffix with the appropriate one). If no alternate files are found, I'd like Baldur's Gate to just resize the portrait to the appropriate size.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847

Flashburn said:

Tiny observation: Gold picked up off the ground via the inventory screen rather than the search box makes a small 'clink' when clicked instead of being silent like it's always been.

Is that a problem?
    Hah, of course it isn't. This is already the patch to end all patches, but its the little things like that that make me think, "Wow, they really DID think of everything!"
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    edited October 2013
    Tarquin said:

Since it feels all fancy and windowed now, I keeping finding myself pressing (e.g.) "M" for map and then pressing "M" again to dismiss the map--except it doesn't work. Would be great if a keypress that would normally bring up a certain view would instead dimiss that view if it was the current view.

This is a feature that really needs to be added because its very common functionality in current games. Having to use the 'R' key instead is annoying. But I felt that way before it was all fancy and windowed. :)
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    edited October 2013
    I found a little bug while checking out new color palettes for kits (by the way, why all mage kits are blue? unfair, they're only kits I care about in long term :( ).

So, I went to create new character, built it up until I got look at appearance screen, then returned back to kit selection, then again... So when I finally hit "Done" button and found myself in Candlekeep, I discovered about 10 quarterstaves in my inverntory! Apparently, you get one quarterstaff for each round of this trick.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    @CutlassJack, @Tarquin,

I've never had a problem with this. I've gotten used to hitting ESC to return to the main view. I don't think I would change my ways even if I had other options.

I really like the compromise that the new patch has found between "an independent Map page" and "windowed look". The often transparent windowed solutions that are used in many other games (like Neverwinter Nights or Diablo 3) feel fragile somehow. I guess I just prefer the feel of what we have in Baldur's Gate.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Okay, this happened right now, when trying to enter northern BG.
    ddd.jpg 128.9K
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,745
    seeing @Xzar 's screenshot

I just love it when people are playing the game and staying on the forum at the same time.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I played about an hour yesterday and the game ran very smoothly on my laptop with Intel HD Graphics. I didn't run into any gameplay bugs, but had slight problems with water in Nashkel. When zooming in and out the water is kind of flickering and it actually looks a bit different with every level of zoom. You could also see horizontal black lines running across the water every now and then when zooming closer.
    Other than that I love the new UI with clearer font and transparency.
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    edited October 2013
    I know this is not hardware related but before I forget... BGQE (Baldur's Gate Mini Quest and Encounters) was working ok with the non beta release... However, with the beta, Linda (at the Candlekeep inn, right at the beginning, easy to test) makes the game crash... No errors, no reports, just long game hang/crash (ctrl-alt-del needed). To note, I tried even with a clean install, no mods but BGEE, and it still didn't work...
  • ermoermo Member Posts: 81
    @Dee:

Do you have any test setups with Core 2 Duo and Intel X3100 IGP (OpenGL 1.4) or X4500 (OpenGL 2.0)? I can test with Windows 7 32bit (X4500) and 64bit (X3100) if necessary.

IIRC, the above + various Atom setups were the most problematic with the old renderer... =)
  • IgnoIgno Member Posts: 10
    I got this after defeating the 4000 exp guy in the idol-tomb quest.

• wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    wy all these changes, good changes happening now instead of one year ago, when game was launched ..
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    kaguana said:

Syntia13 said:

@kaguana

kaguana said:

I just notice this little mess in the journal, last entry suppose to be last no ? instead it in one before last

That problem was present in the old builds as well. It's caused by the fact that the journal entries arrange themselves alphabetically, rather than by date. I created a thread asking about this some time ago, and the solution we came up with was to start your own entries with a date (month-day-hour), and edit the game-generated entries to add the date in the first line as well.
    Not a perfect solution, but it works for me.
    @Syntia13 Yeah I know it was a bug in the old builds as well, and I think it should be fix don't you ? tho thx for the tip really nice of you :)
    @kaguana and @Synthia13 : have a look at this and let me know if that is consistent with what you are seeing.
  • JaesaJaesa Member Posts: 26
    I have a question, though it has nothing to do with hardware. Is it normal for some characters to act like they've been dismissed from the party and leave the area if they get petrified, and you cast Stone to Flesh on them? I fought a few basilisks without Protection from Petrification cast on my PC and party members, and that led to Jaheira and Rasaad being petrified. When I used Stone to Flesh scrolls on them and talked to them to have them rejoin the party, Jaheira came back easily enough, but Rasaad acted like I had just dismissed him and high-tailed it back to Nashkel.

I can't recall anything I could compare this situation against, because the last times someone got petrified in my party, it was Jaheira again (on multiple occasions, and she behaved just as I described above, except for the times she got shattered), Minsc and Khalid (on separate occasions, and both ended up getting shattered), and my PC (Game Over!) So, anyone know?
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    I'm sure it has less to do with petrification and more to do with how they act when you remove them from the party. (by any means) Most of the original companions just stay put when you dismiss them. But the New Guys are coded to return to default spots instead.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    If that's so, the new companions need a BG2-style parting dialogue. They should ask if they should leave or not, and if yes, they should ask whether to return to their favorite place or to stay put.
  • JaesaJaesa Member Posts: 26
    I see. That is... not nice at all. I wish it weren't like that, because getting off that map was a pain with one party member missing on top of having no protection.
This discussion has been closed.