Skip to content

Unrealistic Fantasy Art

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Southpaw It's supposed to be Dejah Thoris. Warrior Queen of Mars. She should actually be completely unclothed, as Martians are supposed to look down on Earth people for wearing clothing. She's also supposed to be ruddy or copper-skinned, as her people are the "red" martians, as opposed to the "Green" martians (and now I am thinking "Christmas Martians!").

So, not really armor, but not really jewelry, either. (and yes, there is a DA pic of her sans all clothing, which would be far more accurate)
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    LadyRhian said:

@Southpaw It's supposed to be Dejah Thoris. Warrior Queen of Mars. She should actually be completely unclothed, as Martians are supposed to look down on Earth people for wearing clothing. She's also supposed to be ruddy or copper-skinned, as her people are the "red" martians, as opposed to the "Green" martians (and now I am thinking "Christmas Martians!").

So, not really armor, but not really jewelry, either. (and yes, there is a DA pic of her sans all clothing, which would be far more accurate)

Hey, at least it's a bold new way of doing the both-boobs-and-ass-in-the-same-time shot! :P
    LadyRhian said:

by bakarov Bikini in winter? Yeah, THAT seems practical.

Heh. I'm about *this* close to thinking even the lion wears more appropriate clothing than she does. Plus, you know, fur.
    LadyRhian said:

by nraza Well, this woman's outfit is ridiculous, but she also looks like she needs a few good meals.

Remember, kids! Fat is nature's armour!
    LadyRhian said:

by nraza Well, this woman's outfit is ridiculous, but she also looks like she needs a few good meals.

There is a difference between skinny and "can see your ribs". :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    LadyRhian said:

LadyRhian said:

There is a difference between skinny and "can see your ribs". :)

A slightly difference, I like eating good meals much more :)
    image by natasherz I am guessing the stuff on her stomach isn't hers...
    image by mitchfoust The latest in our line of bikini armor!
    image by Elistraie (from a MMORTS). Even so, HONESTLY?!
    image by FreShPAiNt Argh! Those SHOES!
    image by Evulchibi "You'll put your eye out, Kid!"
    image by dcwj That is the stupidest armor/costume I have ever seen in a fantasy pic, and that is saying a lot.
    image by GoldenDaniel Grr. This armor could have been SO much better without the plunging cleavage neckline!
    image by SirTiefling More covered than not, or NOT?
    image by iara-art At least the scars on her exposed skin are realistic…
    image by gabbynaruto Yeah, that's the armor I want- none at all!
    image by marioteodosio It's like a mating between a woman and a motorcycle
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @LadyRhian, what do you think of Xena and Gabrielle? I think they might fit here as far as their outfits. But, they sure are fun. And, like it or not, I think it may be part of the genre now. I think you once said that barbarians get a pass from you because of genre conventions, and maybe rogues. Could Xena and Gabrielle maybe pass as barbarian and rogue?
    @belgarathmth Possibly. They are from Ancient Greece, when tended to have scantily clad warriors because subtropical climate and lack of better armor anyway. :)
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Is that a Katarina I see? :) That's a pretty cool one.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    LadyRhian said:

by SirTiefling More covered than not, or NOT?

Now presenting Chainmail Lace! The newest innovation from Bikini Armours Inc!
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2013
    @LadyRhian /by GoldenDaniel
    That's no armor. Moreover, she's got a magical handgrenade, an incense dispenser and a male stone sphinx buddy, in case someone disagrees with her.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    @10thLich took me a while to find the picture you meant, but the sphinx is easily spotted. I thought sphinxii were female?

Two down from that, I have to say any berzerker who wears a book on their hip in case the fight gets boring gets a +1 in my book :D
    @10thLich Actually, that's a Shedu/Lammasu, not a Sphinx. Shedu are based on the creatures depicted on the Ishtar Gate of Babylon. They are winged bulls with human heads and beards, whereas the Sphinx has a lion's body and a human head, and no wings.

• The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Hooves, wings, check. I definitely saw some of those at the Pergamon museum in Berlin, or possibly the Louvre. Easy to spot because they're like 4m high. ~12 feet for imperialists.
    image by frostwindz "Fear me! For I will expose my chest… and belly at you!"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    image by NadrojWobrek "Armored all over- except where I want my boobs to show!" (and that looks like a face on her armor over her abdomen…)
    image by Claudia-SG Boy people seem to think they can let just anything hang out and they will never get hurt!
    image by aenaluck Is that armor she's wearing, or bandages?
    image by SYoshiko Never in a million, billion years…
    image by MihaiRadu Half mage… half armor?
    image by Fablebound Bearing an 8 pack and two grapefruits in a chest holster!
    image by Jamietyndall She kinda is going for the uniboob, isn't she?
    image by nadrejwobrek She's employing the "distraction" technique. Will it work?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @LadyRhian and others, I just noticed something new that I had never noticed before, and I thought that the idea fits in here - I only just noticed it because I am currently playing a BG run as a female bard, and I am trying to get into the mindset of what it would be like to be a female adventurer.

This is what I noticed - *every* female character in the default portrait selection is wearing heavy makeup. We're talking very heavy eyeshadow, with lots of lipstick and mascara. Also, the arcane casters are wearing dresses that would be appropriate for a ball at the royal palace.

So, I was thinking. During all the many, many times when the party is "roughing it" in the wilderness, *how* am I supposed to keep taking all this makeup off every night before climbing into a dirty canvas bag on the ground, (and reapply it upon wakening), and *how* am I supposed to keep this ballgown I'm expected to wear as a female caster from turning into filthy, tattered rags within two days?

All I could come up with, is that maybe there are magical cantrips for female (and male) arcane casters for "apply fresh makeup", "repair silk shirt or dress", and "clean clothing", or "clean and deodorize body", for that matter.

And of course, for both males and females, when and how are they supposed to be shaving?

LOL - at a certain point, is it maybe better to just give willing suspension of disbelief to the genre and just go with it, for sexiness' sake? I don't like a lot of sexiness in my high swords and sorcery fantasy, but I kind of *do* want to pretend like I'm going about adventuring with reasonably attractive and clean people.

Just how much realism do we want here, and where do we want to draw the line for willing suspension of disbelief?

Anyhoo, all that heavy makeup on the females in the default portraits for BG is starting to bother me, now that I have been sensitized by this thread.

And, I will forever deplore the steel bikini. A female warrior can still look attractive in full armor - like that portrait that @Dragonspear uses for her forum avatar. I wouldn't mind having a thread for "realistic, attractive armor and outfits for female warriors in fantasy art."

If what we are deploring here is "unrealistic" depictions in female fantasy art, it might be nice to have some more positive examples to study in contrast.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Fantasy Land also has a tendency to forget that we humans need to pee and poop as much as we need to drink and eat. I think the genre has a very specific line of reality that it hasn't wanted to cross without grossing us readers out. To romanticize the adventure, if you will, all this shaving, excretion, make-up-applying stuff happens off-screen (if at all). If the reader is curious enough to think about how our characters are going about these things, they are more than welcome to on their own. But the storyteller knows that it's the things unsaid that can be the most...interesting.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    @Typo_tilly
    " by Jamietyndall She kinda is going for the uniboob, isn't she?"

all i can think of now is american dad "or i can combine these two breasts into one fantastic super boob!"

but alas i must rip on my favorite anime series, Claymore

so only shoulder, waist and wrist protection.....and you wonder why they constantly get hurt? the rest is cloth but then again its kind of designed that way so they can use their powers but, they would last a lot longer if they were armored and used their powers as a last resort but *shrug* ............ still love it though
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    image by nadrejwobrek She's employing the "distraction" technique. Will it work?

You know, crop out the face, and it wouldn't be a half bad portrait for Imoen... Might not fit the general art style but it wouldn't distract too much
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @OneAngryMushroom
    Yeah, and it general it is an awesome picture, good atmosphere and servicable-looking armor.. Everything ruined by that ridiculous neckline.
    image by Trefle-Rouge Boy, even Dragon Slayers need to show off their boobs, apparently!
    image by atomhawk Someone went spike-happy…
    image by StefanoMarinetti That armor is ridiculous
    image by Hellstern The title of this one is "I wish I knew…" and my mind completed it with "who stole my pants."
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    LadyRhian said:

image by Hellstern The title of this one is "I wish I knew…" and my mind completed it with "who stole my pants."
    Wow, good eye. I would never have noticed.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    LadyRhian said:

She's wearing pants. Notice that her legs are not the same color as her face.
    edited January 2014
    Also, I'm noticing that a lot of the ones posted lately were never intended to be properly equipped adventurers, just sexy ladies in revealing clothing.
    Post edited by Schneidend on
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Got around to making those Imoen portraits. they look pretty good
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    edited December 2013

[spoiler]

LadyRhian said:

[/spoiler]

She's wearing pants. Notice that her legs are not the same color as her face.
    That's how I see it, too. Leather, most likely, as she's in light armor below, medium above. Maybe not ideal, but far from "in case you missed it, I have b(O)(O)bs, you cute teen boy, you" fantasy art. In fact, my only gripe is that the helmet seems too unwieldy to be effective, but it could be ceremonial.

Another, equally unrealstic, would be this:

Wait. Wrong gender. Which is why I find it hilarious, because we seem to tolerate male gargantuan impossible armor, too...
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    ^ I believe this picture was already posted. In the case of gargantuan armor, no matter which gender, there seems to be a general tolerance to the "more coverage is more practical" mindset, even if "more coverage" is really "too much coverage."
    @reedmilfam
    I kinda get the feeling that this one is supposed to be some kind of magical power armor.