Skip to content

The most ridiculous stats you have rolled for a Baldur's Gate character?

Comments

• CalvinandhobbesCalvinandhobbes Member Posts: 14
    Wow. And I thought my sorcerer was overpowered. After snatching up the tomes, she had something like 20 Dexterity, 19 Intelligence, 18 Wisdom, 16 Charisma, 15 Constitution. And 9 Strength. But what does it matter if you arms are like limp noodles when you can toss about 6 fireballs in a row?
  • theperm222theperm222 Member Posts: 84
    Just rolled a 99 on my true neutral human Dragon Disciple in under a minute XO. Don't be jealous :P
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I set a limit of fifteen rolls at character creation. I sometimes only roll five or six times if I score close to what I am looking for. More often than not I store my most favored roll and cycle through all fifteen for interests sake. I was doing exactly that while creating a Stalker, just now. On the fourteenth roll my jaw dropped. I am looking at a roll of 96. I believe that is the best I have ever achieved. I cannot recall ever seeing better than a 91 on my screen.

I don't know what to do. I don't particularly like the power-gaming side of things. I almost feel as if I cannot accept this roll, for fear of feeling like a cheat. Yet I do allow myself fifteen rolls and this did fall within it. I once felt that fifteen was a tad much, but I usually end up with a roll between 84 and 87 which I find adequate. It's rare I see upwards of 88.

If I keep this roll I will probably distribute it in such a way that folks would think me a fool. I tend to do that, anyway, regardless how impressive the roll. I have an idea where Charname (as I see them) would fall with regard to their INT, WIS and CHA even if it is an irrelevant attribute for them, nevermind an irrelevant score that adds no statistical bonus.

I once opened up tabs on the the most prevalent of the NPC's and took a mental note of their scores to then decided how Charname should (for me) measure up. More intelligent than Minsc? Yes. More intelligent than Jaheira? Yes. More Intelligent than Khalid? No. Not more so, but perhaps equal to. 14 to 15 for INT, unless playing a Mage or a Sorcerer where INT would become the prime attribute. I would do the same for WIS and CHA until I had a Charname who felt real, or authentic for lack of a better word. It's completely unnecessary, and is only as valid (or invalid for that matter) as a power-gaming perspective. Ultimately there is no correct choice, only a rule of thumb to enjoy the game. So, let's see what to do with this roll...
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I rolled a 97 on a Human Berserker. I was beyond happy with that, as I hate playing characters with too low of intel or charisma. I don't think I could roll it again in another 1000 years.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    Also can't stand the idea of playing stupid or repulsive characters, so I spent a lot of time rolling. Rolled a 95 point human fighter with about 4 hours of effort (and considered myself lucky to get it). Stats were 17,18, *7*, 18, 18, 17. DAMN YOU SEVEN.

Then wondered just exactly what was possible and tried out the autoroller (left on overnight) and got a 100pt human fighter a few days ago!

Legitimately rolled a 98 pt half-elf conjurer 98 pt half-elf conjurer a while back too.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    One of my first characters Tyr the Paladin (that I carried through ToB as an Inquisitor; he was my first :3 ).

Str 18/00 (natural)
    Dex 18
    Con 18
    Int 12
    Wis 15
    Cha 18

These stats were so good, and the statistical odds of rolling it or something higher ever again so slim, I just shadowkeeper the same stats to any main character. It's like winning the lottery, you only need to win it once.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    edited March 2013
    97 on cavalier

but once the original bg when i was so young i though fiend meant friend and it was a mistake on the dialogue writing i rolled an archer with all 18 apart from a 15 that had some spells! on his special abilities that are not normally available i think! (or did i get confused with the normal bhaalspawn abilities?) now i will never know...
  • PetreclesPetrecles Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2013
    Rolled 100 on my Ranger:

Str- 18/93
    Dex-18
    Con-18
    Int- 10
    Wis-18
    Cha-18

And a 97 on my Archer
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    the necro was worth @etagloc's first page comment alone (I stopped reading after that).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Created a mage character with a random D&D character generator, it uses the first edition rules, 3d6, in place. Thus it generates characters with very low stats, most of the time.

My char has ridiculous stats, all right.
    STR 9 DEX 4 (!!!) CON 13 INT 15 WIS 12 CHA 16. Decent INT and CHA, but that 4 DEX is so ridiculous! Proficiency is in daggers. So when my mage attacks with a sling or dart he gets -7 to hit and effectively hits anything only on a critical. Also, his base armor class is 12. A 12!!! lol
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    If you spend an hour rerolling stats then you should learn how to use memory editors...
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    lunar said:

Created a mage character with a random D&D character generator, it uses the first edition rules, 3d6, in place. Thus it generates characters with very low stats, most of the time.

My char has ridiculous stats, all right.
    STR 9 DEX 4 (!!!) CON 13 INT 15 WIS 12 CHA 16. Decent INT and CHA, but that 4 DEX is so ridiculous! Proficiency is in daggers. So when my mage attacks with a sling or dart he gets -7 to hit and effectively hits anything only on a critical. Also, his base armor class is 12. A 12!!! lol

I played a min stat sorcerer before. He had stats 3/3/3/9/3/9. His armor class was 13, he could carry only 5 lbs and the con penalty was so severe that his hp was 1hp/level. Nonetheless, he just pwn anything w/ kickass magic.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    just rolled a Elf Archer
    Best roll so far 98 points
    STR 18/57
    DEX 19
    CON 17
    INT 15
    WIS 14
    CHA 15
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    Mera said:

I hate spending time rolling dice instead of playing so what I usually do is enable cheats and Ctrl-Shift 8 to get 18 everywhere. I then lower the stats to get something I consider "standard" for the type of character I'm playing.
    I probably always end up with very slightly overpowered characters but I've always resisted the temptation to leave like that to get a broken char.

When you consider how powerful the PC Bhaalspawn is supposed to end up, it's perfectly reasonable to have a BhaalSpawn with stat points in the low 90's and not be considered "cheating" in my opinion.
  • OrmylarOrmylar Member Posts: 1
    Best roll I've ever gotten was on my Halfling Thief for a total roll of 95:

STR 17
    DEX 19
    CON 16
    INT 8
    WIS 17
    CHA 18
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

cyberarmy said:

18/00

One of them luck moments of my life :) Fainted after getting those rolls for me thief.

How did you manage to get a strength of 18/00 for a thief?

I wonder if a D&D gamer would get to choose between

1) winning several millions in a lottery
    2) rolling all 18s at character generation

what he/she would choose. ,)
    I'd chose 18 to my abilities, :D!!
    Or the million bucks to be able to spend my time playing to get a 18 "Everywhere".
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    My best one was:
    18/?? (Sure it was more than 50)
    18 (Elven FM)
    And with BG1 tomes:
    15!! (ToTSC's)
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    Anyone know of a good point-buying system? I will always max til the max without some kind of constraint. NWN had a pretty good point/cost system, I was wondering if that could be adapted in some way for 2E rules.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    I just made an half-elf Beast Master. First roll was a 96. :D
  • EejitEejit Member Posts: 55

This was about the 7th roll for this Paladin. 97 with 18/98. Yikes.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    shawne said:

It was actually pretty spooky - I'd just read Roman Grigoriev's guide on designing Sorcerers for BG, and on my first try I rolled exactly the recommended stats:

8 STR
    18 DEX
    16 CON
    18 INT
    18 WIS
    10 CHA

Imo the best stats for Sorc would be:

18 Str
    19 Dex
    16 Con
    10+ Int
    15 Wis
    9+ Car

Btw, my best roll was 99 with a Blade.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited July 2013
    STR 18/xx (Can't remember)
    DEX 18
    CON 18
    WIS 18
    INT 15
    CHA 12

Cleric/ranger no reload solo trilogy.

He got into BG2 with

He died to improved vampires (SCS) in firekraag's lair, my own mistake for being new to the component.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    SionIV said:

DEX 18
    CON 18
    WIS 18
    INT 15
    CHA 12

He got into BG2 with

He died to improved vampires (SCS) in firekraag's lair, my own mistake for being new to the component.

99? Not bad :D
    elminster said:

SionIV said:

DEX 18
    CON 18
    WIS 18
    INT 15
    CHA 12

He got into BG2 with

99? Not bad :D
    Didn't help him from getting eaten up by the vampires :P
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    edited July 2013
    OP, I don't believe for a second that you rolled 99 total points. Sorry, but I am calling you a liar. :)

As for me, forever ago I rolled a Pally (bards and paladins get the best rolls BTW) with 96 total points, and that was the only time I ever seen a 96. To make it even more shocking (for me, anyways) was the double O strength. That's right 18/00 and 96 total points for Mr. Perfect. He got dropped by a gibbering with one hit, because I forgot to equip my helmet, and that was not even with hard settings. Named him Angel for some strange reason.

That was at least 15 years ago, as for today I have a 95 Zerker and a 95 Blade. I rolled an 89 with a 18/00 STR. My favorite is Ameralus. 92 total attribute points with an 18/99 STR.

Beserker:

STR18/99 (19)
    CON18 (19)
    DEX18 (19)
    INT15 (SAFANA)
    WIS9 (12)
    CHA14 (15)

He's Chaotic Neutral with his eye on twin katanas (if I ever find 2). He died on a hardcore run after a single skeleton somehow managed 15 HP of damage on a single hit. I must have forgotten my helmet again, but man, I am 99% sure I had it on. :?
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    Roled a 97...on an avenger lol. Does that count as a 101?
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I've rolled 98 on a ranger/cleric. It took several very boring hours (although after a while you get into a kind of rhythm). I can believe 99 with some luck. Particularly as R/C get very high rolls (I think even slightly better than paladins).

I've also used the reroller tool which managed 102 on a monk. I set it going and went away for the weekend! Admittedly there may not be much distiction between using the reroller like that and simply editing my stats, but it feels a bit more legitimate to me (and really my feelings are the only ones that matters for my single player games).
    edited July 2013
    Lateralus said:

OP, I don't believe for a second that you rolled 99 total points. Sorry, but I am calling you a liar. :)

As for me, forever ago I rolled a Pally (bards and paladins get the best rolls BTW) with 96 total points, and that was the only time I ever seen a 96. To make it even more shocking (for me, anyways) was the double O strength. That's right 18/00 and 96 total points for Mr. Perfect. He got dropped by a gibbering with one hit, because I forgot to equip my helmet, and that was not even with hard settings. Named him Angel for some strange reason.

That was at least 15 years ago, as for today I have a 95 Zerker and a 95 Blade. I rolled an 89 with a 18/00 STR. My favorite is Ameralus. 92 total attribute points with an 18/99 STR.

Beserker:

STR18/99 (19)
    CON18 (19)
    DEX18 (19)
    INT15 (SAFANA)
    WIS9 (12)
    CHA14 (15)

He's Chaotic Neutral with his eye on twin katanas (if I ever find 2). He died on a hardcore run after a single skeleton somehow managed 15 HP of damage on a single hit. I must have forgotten my helmet again, but man, I am 99% sure I had it on. :?

Cleric / rangers got the best rolls.

(Bg2)

Bard : (Min 49)

STR : 3
    DEX : 12
    CON : 3
    INT : 13
    WIS : 3
    CHA : 15

Paladin : (Min 57)

STR : 12
    DEX : 3
    CON : 9
    INT : 3
    WIS: 13
    CHA : 17

C/R : (Min 61)

STR : 13
    DEX : 13
    CON : 14
    INT : 4
    WIS : 14
    CHA : 3

So you'll have the best chanse with a C/R and i have rolled 99 with a Half-elf C/R.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I think the best roll I've ever had is a Paladin in IWD with:
    STR: 18/92
    DEX: 18
    CON: 18
    INT: 10
    WIS: 16
    CHA: 18
    (total=98)

I think I may have rolled a higher total a few times, but that exceptional strength is what really makes this an exceptional roll. The funny thing is I doubt I'll ever even get much use out of that character (I rolled up a party, including that guy, played for an hour, and then quit. That was months ago.).
    Lateralus said:

I really don't see what's so unbelievable about it. Sure, that roll may be exceptionally unlikely, but it's like the lottery: while any single person's chances are astronomical, at least one person usually wins. Really, the fact that he rolled 99 isn't even the truly impressive part (not that that isn't an amazing roll in itself), it's the fact that he got /00 strength to boot.