Skip to content

NPC Guide to BGEE

Comments

• RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I wouldn't mention it, either. There's only one first playthrough. The story is worth much more than meta knowledge in that unique instance.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013
    I'm still thinking on it. In any case the guide is being written pretty fast. I've finished Hexxat and Neera as well as probably half of the original characters. I'm hopeful it can be up by sunday. For the record I won't be talking about their individual quests and I will be sure to strategically [ spoiler ] tag any of the...revealing... facts about Hexxat.
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    You may be damned if you do and damned if you don't concerning Yoshimo. Those who are new to the game may cry out in dismay at a spoiler that cannot be undone. Those who are veterans of the series will be aghast at such meta knowledge being selectively removed.

I recall looking up an NPC guide for BG2 prior to having played it. Upon reading the summary of Khalid I was literally blown away by a certain revelation. I wished I could have undone that moment, unread the words I had just saw. To have experienced it in game would have been so much better, so much more memorable. I was kicking myself for days.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2013
    My advice would also be to play it straight with Yoshimo. Don't give away anything.

Make sure to mention his ability to dual-class to Fighter, I know *somebody* out there must do it. :P
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @elminster: Fascinating reading! :) Any chance of PDF/DOC copies for the non-Steam crowd?
    shawne said:

@elminster: Fascinating reading! :) Any chance of PDF/DOC copies for the non-Steam crowd?

Its not in my immediate plans but when I get BG2EE's guide done I may look into it.
  • CandleBesideCandleBeside Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2013
    Excellent guide. Exactly what i was looking for, and with cool bonus informartion, that still doesn't spoil anything, many thx!
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    You could try to BS around Yoshimo. Strongly hint that another thief wouldn't be amiss or something. It might throw veteran players off if they don't get why you're saying that though.

As someone else said, they do get imoen back, so at least they aren't screwed over completely. Just might have to take her along for a decent portion of them game when they maybe weren't really planning to.
    I think I know what I'm going to do. Thanks everyone for the advice about Yoshimo :)

Good news! Steam version should be out in like 13 minutes. So I can finally start working on the guide outside of making these word documents. Sunday release may be premature though but we will see.
    I went through Cernd's again and added a lot of stuff. One nice aspect of writing this up has been the need to rethink how to play certain characters.

Anyways I've run into a snag it seems. Steam's spoiler tag system doesn't seem to want to hide portraits. So that kind of ruined my plans for one character hehe.
    @elminster: Just go with her "initial" portrait. :)
    I think for the time being I'm going to leave it in. At the moment I have this message "*SPOILERS BELOW: DO NOT SCROLL OR READ BELOW THIS POINT UNTIL AFTER GOING THROUGH THE TOMB OF DRAGONIR* " with a fair bit of spacing afterwords. (something like this)

Basically I think I'm damned if I do include it and damned if I don't.
    Well... it's meant to be a comprehensive guide to the NPCs of BG2:EE. Just put a SPOILERS on the title and go forward with it - even if you used Clara's portrait, you'll still have to discuss Hexxat's abilities (at which point people could intuit her "true nature" anyway)...
    edited November 2013
    edited out
    Gotta say that the greatest thing about this game from the perspective of writing up an NPC guide is the fact that you now can just put in "C" instead of "CLUAConsole". It sounds trivial but its sooo nice.
    Thanks to anyone who voted. 4/5 stars is not too shabby :)
    Looks like BG2EE npc guide won't be out until this weekend. I've got probably around 7 NPC's still left to write :)
    I look forward to reading it! The first one was very informative. :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm looking forward to it too. One of the most important things for me will be to find out what levels can NPCs in BG2:EE have based on your Charname's level and what proficiencies they have on those levels. This will help me greatly to build the party I want.

Regarding Hexxat, with the experience I've got from talking to some Devs before posting an update on the thread about her, I think it's better to use her starting portrait (the one in the screenshots before the game release), her starting proficiencies etc and then point to the fact that not far in her quest you'll be able to find an item to increase her stats significantly that can be used in-doors and during certain times outdoors. This is a good way not to spoil hugely in the guide.
    @bengoshi: Agreed, but he'd also have to mention Hexxat's abilities (ie: Blood Drain, Children of the Night, Domination) - although I suppose one way around that would be to discuss the effects without the titles, ie:

"Hexxat has three abilities:

1. She can drain 1d4 CON from enemies
    2. She can summon creatures once a day
    3. She can cast Domination once a day"
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    shawne said:

3. She can cast Domination once a day"

@elminster Actually, she gains extra uses of Domination as she levels up. Unfortunately I don't remember on which levels that happens.
    edited November 2013
    bengoshi said:

I'm looking forward to it too. One of the most important things for me will be to find out what levels can NPCs in BG2:EE have based on your Charname's level and what proficiencies they have on those levels.

Yea I probably won't include weapon proficiencies at various levels. At most I'll do their basic level in SoA and then their ToB starting level. In the case of an NPC like Cernd I really don't have the room (arbitrary word/space limit). I barely have enough room in his case to include a mention of Regeneration!

Hexxat gains an additional domination spell at levels 14 and 24.
    Post edited by elminster on
    edited November 2013
    @Bengoshi to give you an idea of how little room I have with Cernd I just realized that if you pick Cernd up at level 13 he has more health (80) than if you pick him up at level 10 and level him up (68). Its the same with level 12 (74). I can't find room for any of this! :)

At the moment I'm just putting in a recommendation to pick him up at 13.
  • @shawne You can access Steam's community pages without an account simply by going to their website. Try this link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183524786
    @Kaigen: I'm aware of that, but an offline copy would still be welcome...
    edited November 2013
    Update on BG2EE NPC guide. Basically everyone but, Rasaad, Sarevok, Valygar, and Viconia are done. Valygar and Viconia should be a pretty straightforward write up. Sarevok will probably take the most time because of his dual class options. I won't have everything done by tonight but hopefully I can post it by tuesday.
    Did I say tuesday?...I meant tuesaturday....yes tuesaturday. The new day of the week that I just invented.

Anyways the guides done. I'm just going to do one last final check to make sure I didn't miss anything major...like stats or proficiency points...and then I'll publish it tomorrow (saturday).
This discussion has been closed.