Skip to content

NPC Guide to BGEE

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013
    Well its up. I'm sure I have a few mistakes somewhere and I'll be fleshing out fighters like Mazzy and Korgan because they could probably be fleshed out a little more. For the time being however anyone ( @Shawne @Bengoshi @Quartz ) who sees this can check the guide out here

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195278341#

Call it a tentative launch. Once I feel like most of the kinks have been worked out I will make a new thread about it.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Bravo! :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @elminster

Gotta say you really one-upped yourself on this guide. Nice work! ...And I didn't even know about Wilson, what the hell ...

---------------

In Aerie's Buff Spells, you accidentally listed Draw Upon Holy Might (level 1). It should of course say Draw Upon Holy Might (level 2)

In Aerie's Mage Buff Spells, you say "She should probably still drink a Potion of Ingenuity to bring her wisdom to 18 before doing so." I just checked, isn't it Potion of Insight? Unless of course there is like, a difference in the name of the potion between the UK and USA versions of the game?

In Aerie's Mage Summoning Spells, you list "Invisibility Stalker (level 6)". You mean "Invisible Stalker (level 6)"

In Anomen's Control and Debuff Spells, you say "There are a few spells like Doom (level 1) and Hold Person that are decent enough spells for Anomen" You forgot to mention Hold Person is (level 2).

In Anomen's Control and Debuff Spells, you typo'd "Depending on the spell Invisibility Purge (level 2)" Invisibility Purge is (level 3) of course

In Edwin's section, you say "Wearing the Robe of Vecna (available in the Adventure Mart from Deidre) and the Amulet of Power will help a lot with his spellcasting." Problem: Edwin can't wear the Amulet of Power, you can't remove his own amulet and you wouldn't want to anyway.

Neera's weapon proficiencies xD

---------------

I'll look more later. Really enjoying it. Thanks!
    Thanks. Probably some late night writing there hehe.
    Yea I didn't do the whole (level 1) spell level thing all the time when it came to Cernd. I could barely fit what I could in there to begin with.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Wow, just wow! It's a must-read for every BG fan for sure;) I'll give it a solid testing, though ^_^
    , and will write in your new thread a little bit later.

From the very first impressions: because Wilson is an easter-egg NPC and is NOT shown in the starting screen section of the game and many players don't even know about him (I, as well as @Quartz, haven't known about him at all) it's better to hide his name in the contents just like you did with Sarevok and then to use a skip of text just like you did with Hexxat. It will help players who don't want to spoil themselves to have fun of discovering Wilson and to get all the emotions about it.

But nonetheless, all hail @elminster !
    edited December 2013
    Yea I thought about that but I didn't hide Baeloth in the BGEE and I don't really think they are all that different from a spoiler standpoint. I hide Sarevok because he is a big character in the series and is far more main plot related.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Excellent guide, Elminster!

The whole Wilson thing was amazing when I discovered it. I was sad that I had no room for him in my evil party, so I left him to chill in the Copper Coronet.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    ...0_o... I think this might be the real Elminster...
    Thanks so much for teaching me how to use Aerie. I have been using her so many years now and I never knew how to do it right :)
    Question for anyone: how do most of you guys use invisibility?
  • @booinyoureyes I mainly use invisibility for allowing thieves to clear traps when enemies are present. Being able to clear out the traps and then rush your party in is a lot easier than trying to clear them in the middle of a fight or trying to draw the enemies away from the traps. It can also be used to ambush enemies, but the prevalence of spellcasters with True Sight makes this a bit tricky to pull off.
    for some reason i never remember any traps in any big places. I just found out due to @Elminster's great NPC guide that you get a plus 4 to attack when you strike at a baddie while invisible. That's awesome. This was super educational.

I used to play: Keldorn/mage use dispel magic, clerics buff themselves, mages shoot things out of their fingers and then Sword meet Evil.

Now I'm going to start actually using debuff and things that buff the entire party. I've been derping around with clerics all these years, its about time I learned to use them properly.

Also... I'm now inspired to check out Cernd for some flavor.

This was such a great post.
    Quartz said:

EDIT: Oops...

Also Shar-Teel: "Gender: Male
    Race: Female"

Hmmmm.... this may not be far from the truth
    edited February 2014
    Just realized this guides been out since November and nobody (including myself) noticed that Imoen didn't have any thieving skills mentioned. :)
    Post edited by elminster on
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    Just one little point on the original: you don't really mention how Eldoth's 'Create Poison Arrows' special ability can be used to disrupt spell-casting. I'd never realised until I read another guide which explained they're one of the best anti-caster weapons in the game.
    You can also get the same benefit out of the arrows of biting. But in Eldoth's case its probably because I ran out of room (space limit).
    I managed to find room for it.
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    I just mentioned it because (a) it's a rare case of a really useful special ability and (b) Eldoth doesn't have too much else in the way of standout characteristics. Had I known there's a tight space limit I'd have understood it not being there: but it's great you have found space.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited March 2014
    Wow! I've added this excellent work to BG: the Wide's catalog of resources here and here. :-)
    edited March 2014
    Lemernis said:

Wow! I've added this excellent work to BG: the Wide's catalog of resources here and here. :-)

I noticed on the first and second link you stated "Elminster's" unofficial manual. Just to clarify in case of confusion I only assisted editing it Bigdogchris was the person responsible for vast majority of the corrections made in it. Ohh and I made the manual corrections thread but that represented only a part of the corrections I'm sure.

Its also obviously a seperate thing than this NPC guide.
    @elminster Okies, no problem sorry for any confusion. How would you like it to be named?
    It's bigdogchris's guide so that seems appropriate. Also why are you posting here about it?

This is probably a more appropriate thread for it.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14571/unofficial-game-manual-for-baldur-s-gate-enhanced-edition
    edited March 2014
    Well, err, to be honest I only glanced at what this is... I just noticed happened to notice it in Challenges and Playthroughs, which is about all I have time for these days after a quick glance at General. I was actually on may way out to run errands to boot, so no time to read through it all. Anyhoo, I'll see about taking a closer look at it all, and then commenting on it in that thread.

In all events, thanks for your hard work on this. It certainly looks impressive, at least at a glance.
    edited March 2014
    To clarify further (because to be honest I'm totally lost here).

This thread is in Challenges and Playthroughs because it used to be under a broader banner of Strategies and Walkthroughs (or something around those lines). There isn't anywhere else that really deals with strategy specifically so that's why its here.

The thread we are in now is for my NPC Guide to BGEE. While I have gotten suggestions from others for it I am the only author of it. Its a guide that provides information and discusses strategies for each NPC (I also have one for BG2EE NPC's)

This is the link for it http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183524786#

The only thing I could find on the link's you provided that related to me at all was that unofficial manual for BGEE. It does not have any of my work with regard to NPC's. My main contribution towards it would have been the identification of problems in the manual found in my Manual Discrepancies thread here

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6819/manual-discrepancies/p1

as well as a bit of editing.

Besides the official manuals original authors Bigdogchris is the author for the unofficial manual. I imagine he would have done a lot of work around formatting and other such issues, and probably a lot more work than I can really think of at the moment for it. I just helped with editing it.
    Post edited by elminster on
    Lol, sorry it is not you who is lost but rather me. I should have read through what you posted rather than just glancing at it. I got enthused when I opened the link you provided for the unofficial manual. I (without reading *palmslap to forehead*) thought the NPC guide was part of that. I was in hurry and shouldn't have responded till I had time to read.

Okay, then... hmm. I can link the thread, of course. It probably wouldn't be too much trouble to put the NPC Guide into a Word Skydrive document, though... Would you prefer that to a link to the thread?
    If you'd like to provide a link on your website for it I'd be quite happy about it. Its not something that I can just throw into Word effortlessly in its current form however.
    edited March 2014
    Let me see what I can do with it. :-)

Edit: Yeah, it's a lot to reformat. I'll just link the thread! Looks like a great guide.
    edited September 2015
    I just checked Steam. For the longest time the guide only had 4/5 stars. Anyways, I just checked and it now has 5/5 stars. So this is a thank you to everyone who has voted in support of it. :)
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    Excellent guide! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.