Skip to content

Hexxat romance option

Comments

• sersafirsersafir Member Posts: 126
    shawne said:

@Ayiekie: Honestly, it's like a Steam forum in here. I'm seriously considering backing out of the General Discussion forum until the homophobes, racists and misogynists find some other site to troll - it's getting to be a bit much.

So guys who wanted to romance more than magical elves are homophobes and misogynists? Not quite sure what you mean about racist... havent seen any of that.

Maybe you're just being a bit egotistic here? No one's forcing you to look down everybody else. You're doing that on your own. Not to mention the outright self-righteous "women deserve better" attitude of yours a few posts earlier kinda makes you out to be an advocate of misandry.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Well, the thing is, guys also get Dorn too, so its different from the Magical Female Elves, and half-elves. Also, Jaheira, and Neera are Half-Elves. What is wrong with you?! I'm sorry for stealing your line Neera.

As for Anomen, there is some women who don't like him, and there are some that do. There was no alternate choice for females that disliked Anomen. That was until the mod NPCs were created.
  • 17651765 Member Posts: 71
    sersafir said:

Not to mention the outright self-righteous "women deserve better" attitude of yours a few posts earlier kinda makes you out to be an advocate of misandry.

b-b-b-but what about *mens* rights!?

seriously though, equating someone praising BG2:EE for balancing options for female characters to misandry is...dreadful really. Your comprehension of why people would consider this a problem is so trapped in a male point of view I don't think you will ever understand. Sorry.

And as for the racism, I've seen bunch of posts etc saying things along the lines of "and then suddenly she turned black wtf this is bs" which is pretty depressing.

Well, the thing is, guys also get Dorn too, so its different from the Magical Female Elves, and half-elves. Also, Jaheira, and Neera are Half-Elves. What is wrong with you?! I'm sorry for stealing your line Neera.

As for Anomen, there is some women who don't like him, and there are some that do. There was no alternate choice for females that disliked Anomen. That was until the mod NPCs were created.

I meant for the heterosexual male. :| And really, the guys didn't get anywhere as near the same depth. You can have three hastily made romances or 1 very well done one. Which do you choose?

@1765 Balanced? No, we've got 3 ancient romances with magical elves, another magical elf, and a male orc. Women get an incredible diverse Anomen, a new Human Rasaad, another new Hexxat no spoilers, but not human, the same orc Dorn...

It's clear Anomen was 1 romance, but he had more depth. Now you've got much, much more depth and new romances think it's balanced. And I, with my male logic, apparently don't. And therefore, I will never understand. Maybe you're the one who hasn't looked at things for both sides? Maybe you're the one that's trapped?

Even shawne admitted women had the scales tipped...
    shawne said:

@sersafir: Is it a shame? Really? Because the way I see it, BG2 owes women players (and women characters) a lot after sticking them with Anomen as the only option for fifteen years. So the scales are tilting the other way for once; cry me a damn river.

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I don't really like Anomen, and therefore, don't consider him well done at all. He is like the original ninjamance. If you're nice to him, he'll think you like him romantically, and the only way to get him to stop is if you're mean to him. That is, unless you're a guy, then he'll just think that you want to be friends with him.

As for his alignment switching, that isn't a romance only deal. Anyone can get him to stay Lawful Neutral or go Chaotic Neutral. At least, I think I remember playing a Male Charname and being able to do that, I haven't picked up Anomen in a while, again because I don't really like him.

*ahem* I do believe this thread is about Hexxat though, to which I say, I haven't even picked her up yet to try her romance! D:
    edited November 2013

I don't really like Anomen, and therefore, don't consider him well done at all. He is like the original ninjamance. If you're nice to him, he'll think you like him romantically, and the only way to get him to stop is if you're mean to him. That is, unless you're a guy, then he'll just think that you want to be friends with him.

As for his alignment switching, that isn't a romance only deal. Anyone can get him to stay Lawful Neutral or go Chaotic Neutral. At least, I think I remember playing a Male Charname and being able to do that, I haven't picked up Anomen in a while, again because I don't really like him.

*ahem* I do believe this thread is about Hexxat though, to which I say, I haven't even picked her up yet to try her romance! D:

You're missing the point. Anomen's diversity wasn't just that. You could romance him regardless of alignment (Aerie and Jaheria would leave if you were evil) and had a massive dialogue tree. 1 Dialogue tree for the Chaos, one for the lawful. In addition to that, things could get even more diverse dependant on how you chose to solve his quest and what he did with the order... Plus, you could choose to ignore some of his stories without killing the romance.

And yes, it's about Hexxat and romancing, which will inevitably be compared to others.
    Nic_Mercy said:

I'll just sit back and be satisfied knowing that some people finally get to understand a little of what I go through most of the time when the character *I* like is unavailable to me.

you mean to tell me that games have a heterocentric bias but the majority of people only notice when there is a slight shift away from that. woah!
  • MilkTeaMilkTea Member Posts: 4
    Damn, that's a little disappointing. Of the previous romances, I only ever liked Viconia and Anomen. One of which was pretty good and the other which started good and then ended on a very disappointing note. Neera came along and I just really couldn't get into her, Dorn was pretty chill, and then I find we have a damn interesting new NPC rolling in. Now I find that my frail, weak, pretty little lawful evil enchanter boy can't win her over. Suppose it's time to just re-roll with a female dwarf or gnome instead. I can't be allowing such a small guy to try to hook up with Dorn or anything, it's just not safe.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Nic_Mercy said:

I'll just sit back and be satisfied knowing that some people finally get to understand a little of what I go through most of the time when the character *I* like is unavailable to me.

It does hurt, bro. I'm not going to be so entitled as to demand they change it, but I am definitely bummed that my LE male Blackguard cannot romance Hexxat. I got so excited when she turned out to be a
    gorgeous chocolate vampire
    that I transformed into a giddy fanboy and immediately made a "thank you" thread.
  • AN_ALPACA_WADAFUKAN_ALPACA_WADAFUK Member Posts: 29
    dont call black people 'chocolate' you massive creep
    MilkTea said:

Damn, that's a little disappointing. Of the previous romances, I only ever liked Viconia and Anomen. One of which was pretty good and the other which started good and then ended on a very disappointing note. Neera came along and I just really couldn't get into her, Dorn was pretty chill, and then I find we have a damn interesting new NPC rolling in. Now I find that my frail, weak, pretty little lawful evil enchanter boy can't win her over. Suppose it's time to just re-roll with a female dwarf or gnome instead. I can't be allowing such a small guy to try to hook up with Dorn or anything, it's just not safe.

A gay, Anti-Hero, Battle Couple between a Proud Warrior Race Guy Black Knight and a Bishonen Evil Sorcerer? It's trope-tastic! I highly recommend doing this and not re-rolling. It sounds awesome as hell.
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    If you're wanting to romance her as a male PC, could you not just use a Girdle of Gender? Any confirmation on whether that will work or not? I think it's great that she was made a female PC only romance option, and if there's a workaround via the Girdle for people with male PCs then even better.
    @Fablewynd
    I think the girdle will work if it's on you before the plot twist, but I can in no way confirm.

@AN_ALPACA_WADAFUK
    Nah.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    1765 said:

Nic_Mercy said:

you mean to tell me that games have a heterocentric bias but the majority of people only notice when there is a slight shift away from that. woah!
    I know. It's crazy right?
    1765 said:

Nic_Mercy said:

Games are a business. They have a capitalist bias. They also have a target audience. The goal of a developer is not to harm womens rights. It's to make money.
    "a beautiful creamy elf"
    sersafir said:

1765 said:

Nic_Mercy said:

Games are a business. They have a capitalist bias. They also have a target audience. The goal of a developer is not to harm womens rights. It's to make money.
    And the best way to make money is to have as much appeal as possible to the widest of audiences... but then you have people who complain when romances are all bi and accessible to everyone.

And the best way to make money is to have as much appeal as possible to the widest of audiences... but then you have people who complain when romances are all bi and accessible to everyone.
    If they wanted the widest audience they'd only release bi-sexual characters. No, they usually make their profit developing a game based around their target audience.

That's why games for girls exist. And DnD? I'm not saying women aren't invited to the table. But it's a dominantly male oriented game. That's the target audience. Even assuming you'd like to pretend it isn't, why not let numbers do the work for you? https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21235/what-sex-do-you-play-in-bg

The average gamer and BG player is a heterosexual male. For the additional content, we got kinda left out. They made only one romance in an attempt to appeal to us.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2013
    Leuenherz said:

A question, if I may. Should I decide to simply cheat the game`s restriction on Hexxat's romance, how exactly would I go about that?

You're kind of correct, but starting at an impractical end. EE Keeper isn't a tool meant for this kind of editing, I would suggest one like Near Infinity that lets you edit individual game files separately.

If you look at Hexxat's script file (HEXXAT.BCS), you will find her romance trigger:

IF
    Global("OHH_hexxatromancecheck","LOCALS",0)
    Gender(Player1,FEMALE)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetInterrupt(FALSE)
    RealSetGlobalTimer("HexxatLovetalksTimer","GLOBAL",5400)
    SetGlobal("HexxatRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)
    SetGlobal("HexxatLovetalks","GLOBAL",1)
    SetGlobal("OHH_hexxatromancecheck","LOCALS",1)
    SetInterrupt(TRUE)
    END

This will, provided that it hasn't already been checked, set the player as a romantic interest for Hexxat and start the lovetalk timer. Obviously you can change female to male there, or modify it to cover both male and female to make her bisexual.

That's just step #1 though, you'd also have to look through her dialogue files to see if there are any further sex-based checks or triggers.

Edit: On a sidenote, by changing this you could probably romance Hexxat and one of the other female NPC:s simultaneously (for good or bad), as the conflicts that end Hexxat's romance are likely only the ones available for female charnames. So for a male, a conflict shouldn't arise unless you go for Dorn.
    edited November 2013
    Oops, double post.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Carfax said:

shawne said:

Because male PCs aren't lacking in female romance options, you idiot.

An RPG is all about choice and options idiot, and making her bi instead of gay is a simple fix..

Even if she was bi, she'd still take any woman over you.
  • War_LordWar_Lord Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2013
    Well Beamdog are selling us stuff here remember.....

I wanted more than one romance to choose from, actually i think i deserve another romance to choose from. This game is a enchantment of a old game that cost quite allot on steam now

and YES i can select the old romances... but i played them before.. this is about making new content right?

Beamdog is SELLING US new content.
    And we can mod this thing into oblivion but one of the SELLING POINTS ARE "no need to mod" and ofc the additional characters.

Lets face it.... the are selling us the characters.. nobody is buying this game becouse of the "black pit"

Everyone here can spew out their "omg your racist, homophobic, yada yada" Political-correct nonsense...

But the cold hard truth is that if Beamdog wants my money, they will need to deliver what i want right?

You go to a store for a cola and they only have pepsi, you go to another store.

Now everyone thinks the "everyone bisexual" is kinda stupid.. and it was stupid in dragon age. But it was fair.

But its better becouse its makes everything equal and we dont have these stupid arguments.
    Since everything just flips after the gender you select.

its a million times better solution

You sell 2 characters as a DLC

1 is a white Human female warrior with a romance

1 is a black Elf Male warrior with a romance

I will buy the women most likely as a first priority.

And that wont make me a racist, homophobic or xenophobic.

guess now much Haxxat would sell as a standalone DLC vs Neera for instance ? why didnt beamdog cut the price and let us choose?

I think its just poor design choice.. or maby they are making a "statement" if so its a bad one
  • War_LordWar_Lord Member Posts: 28

@War_Lord
    People are being accused of homophobia not because they want hetero romance options, but because the way they are demanding them and what they are saying in this thread are very exclusionary, biased, homophobic, prejudicial, self-entitled, etc.

Am reading this thread and people are using HEAVY accusations about being both racist and homophobic.

People should think twice about namecalling likes this and the arguments they use are PAPER thin

Nobody can defend themselves from being accused of Self-entitlement.... or homophobic.. or being exclusionary..

Vocal minority or majority needs to take 2 steps back and think

i ask everyone here to calm down and think about this

Are gamers upset becouse she is actual lesbian or becouse they cannot romance here.

Can you be upset about this for a valid reason?

Somebody had to sit in a dev meeting sometime and takes these choices.

Many male games like myself dont really do gay romances in games..... we dont like it... that dont mean we want to go outside and kill homosexuals on the street.

People feel entitled when they spend money.... many are saying BG2 EE was overpriced.... that can increase the effect.

Haxxat should have been a both gender option..

I think they did it to both to avoid doing something to the old romances... and to cater to the vocal and belive it to be a minority of zealots that plague the forums about LGBT issues.

And i say this becouse most people dont really care unless they get blocked out of content.. and thats basicly just what happened now.

They voice their opinion and then the namecalling starts.

I understand why this gets heated... and i think the devs made a big mistake.. and people that are namecalling should look at themselves with a critical eye before posting anymore

After briefly looking through Hexxat's dialogue files a little, it seems the romance trigger in the script might be the only one. There are some non-lovetalk conversations with Hexxat where you can flirt with her as a female (whereas she'll tell you off if you're male) - none of them can actually end the romance, but they should obviously be changed as well to get 100% of the romance content.
    edited November 2013
    This was what they wanted:

Gay males get Dorn.
    Gay females get Hexxat.
    Straight males get spellslinging elves.
    Straight females get a massive new amount of content and diverse characters.

The real question was why not make Dorn just gay and make Hexxat bi?
    edited November 2013
    War_Lord said:

@War_Lord
    People are being accused of homophobia not because they want hetero romance options, but because the way they are demanding them and what they are saying in this thread are very exclusionary, biased, homophobic, prejudicial, self-entitled, etc.

Am reading this thread and people are using HEAVY accusations about being both racist and homophobic.

People should think twice about namecalling likes this and the arguments they use are PAPER thin

Nobody can defend themselves from being accused of Self-entitlement.... or homophobic.. or being exclusionary..

Vocal minority or majority needs to take 2 steps back and think

i ask everyone here to calm down and think about this

Are gamers upset becouse she is actual lesbian or becouse they cannot romance here.

Can you be upset about this for a valid reason?

Somebody had to sit in a dev meeting sometime and takes these choices.

Many male games like myself dont really do gay romances in games..... we dont like it... that dont mean we want to go outside and kill homosexuals on the street.

People feel entitled when they spend money.... many are saying BG2 EE was overpriced.... that can increase the effect.

Haxxat should have been a both gender option..

I think they did it to both to avoid doing something to the old romances... and to cater to the vocal and belive it to be a minority of zealots that plague the forums about LGBT issues.

And i say this becouse most people dont really care unless they get blocked out of content.. and thats basicly just what happened now.

They voice their opinion and then the namecalling starts.

I understand why this gets heated... and i think the devs made a big mistake.. and people that are namecalling should look at themselves with a critical eye before posting anymore

Making Hexxat exclusively lesbian is NOT in any way appeasing people who talk about LGBT issues. Most of us WANT every romanceable character to be available to both genders. Making Hexxat exclusively lesbian does little to appeal to LGBT people specifically and does more to appease people who OPPOSE romances being bi all the time.

As a realistic gay male I have a better shot at a romance I like if all options are available to both genders than clamoring for one made specifically to my tastes. The LGBT arent the ones who took Hexxat away from you. It's the "anti-all romances are bi" people who took her away.
This discussion has been closed.