Skip to content

Drow, for and against.

Comments

• TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    @Zectul yeah that's exactelly how it worked for us when we had Viconia in our group
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    @Moomintroll I'd have voted for It doesn't matter to me either way. =P
    Zeckul said:

Ok, but you play with a fixed reputation of 0 whatever you do, hostile guards spawn every time you enter a city, and everyone is hostile and/or running from you all the time save for main quest-critical characters and maybe a select few evil NPCs. That's the only way it'd remotely make sense in the game world. Would it be unplayable? Yes. Is it a good idea? No.

Ohh and Dritzz Do'Urden and the church never could buy a possitive reputation in that exact word at all... wait oh yeah... they did
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'll play as a hot drow.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Did you read the link, it should explain things VERY well why I'm growing sick of hearing drow due to how shoved in everyone's face.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I want a 3° option:

I want drows in the DLCs adventures that don't involve the bhaalspawn saga (as "the black pits").
    I would not care to have other drows NPC, but only if the devs give us the hell consequences of traveling with a member of the dark elvens.

@Tanthalas can a pool thread be merged with a non-pool thread?

Add Drow (Dark Elf) Race

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/201/add-drow-dark-elf-race
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited August 2012
    Talvrae said:

@Zectul yeah that's exactelly how it worked for us when we had Viconia in our group

That's exactly what happened to Viconia in both games, actually. What makes you think the protagonist's treatment should be any different?

Zeckul said:

Talvrae said:

That's exactly what happened to Viconia in both games, actually. What makes you think the protagonist's treatment should be any different?

yeah when she travel alone... after that...
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192

@seeka what would your third option have been?

Something like "i don't care" ;-) Which I think would get the most votes. I voted against because of the reasons described in extenso by @Drugar but since multiplayer is cooperative I don't really care if people want to play unrealistically overpowered. Hell it's fantasy after all ;-)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Kamuizin

I thinks its possible since I made a blunder with a poll earlier. Can't do it at the moment though.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited August 2012
    @Dazzu I don't think the Hype backlash your link describes really relates to what we have here, I guess you must be sick of hearing about Drow though!

Edit- Sorry, I think I'm just being pedantic.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Communard said:

Hm. I would support it in an ideal world of infinite resources, but you would have to edit a lot of dialogue to make it work properly so I'm leaning towards no. I will refrain from voting for now until I have heard more arguments.

@Communard , you just want do see which side is winning before you join the fray, dont you? ;-)

• LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    Doesn't fit within well with the setting ...
    People in that part of the Sword Coast wouldn't react the same way to a drow and a human...
    It would be immersion breaking in my opinion.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    mch202 said:

Communard said:

Hm. I would support it in an ideal world of infinite resources, but you would have to edit a lot of dialogue to make it work properly so I'm leaning towards no. I will refrain from voting for now until I have heard more arguments.

@Communard , you just want do see which side is winning before you join the fray, dont you? ;-)

Haha, not sure if it's even possible, I can't work out a way to view the results without voting...
  • DarksigilDarksigil Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    darn it... didn't really think that through so I'm changing my answer to against here instead :P

Most likely because it would require heavy changes to dialouges (which they cannot do to that extent), I'd love for a playable drow only if all the dialouges would change until that point that people were to know of your reputation (be it bad or good) so that you will be more acceptable... or hated :P

But yea... (changed) vote against due to that the extent of dialouges needed to make it look good is not possible for them and I'd rather vote against than to have drows running around and being treated like common people.
    Darksigil said:

darn it... didn't really think that through so I'm changing my answer to against here instead :P

Most likely because it would require heavy changes to dialouges (which they cannot do to that extent), I'd love for a playable drow only if all the dialouges would change until that point that people were to know of your reputation (be it bad or good) so that you will be more acceptable... or hated :P

But yea... (changed) vote against due to that the extent of dialouges needed to make it look good is not possible for them and I'd rather vote against than to have drows running around and being treated like common people.

Well that ballance out the other one who made a mistake that's good
  • raclariuraclariu Member Posts: 56
    edited August 2012
    Afaik they are strong, but level way slower so it's ok by me. Never played drow, maybe in BGEE i will, and so, i want it to be part of BGEE.
    Communard said:

mch202 said:

Communard said:

Haha, not sure if it's even possible, I can't work out a way to view the results without voting...
    its 51% to the blue team ( against ) vs 49% to the red team ( for ) - join us blue!!
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Hmm, I'd certainly like to play as a Drow. I just don't think the Baldur's Gate stories provide a fitting (as in realistic) setting to implement them as a playable race. Maybe in future games?
    mch202 said:

Communard said:

mch202 said:

Communard said:

its 51% to the blue team ( against ) vs 49% to the red team ( for ) - join us blue!!
    Hmm, not sure, after all we must strive to maintain balance ;)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Maybe just have an option to write in your own subrace. Isn't that what they allow in the Icewind Dales? That way officially you aren't a "drow" although you can still act as one if you want to.
    Communard said:

mch202 said:

Communard said:

mch202 said:

Communard said:

You cant! Drows are chaotic, they dislike balance, you cant vote for them in the name of balance, it doesnt make any sense :p

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    mch202 said:

Communard said:

mch202 said:

Communard said:

mch202 said:

Communard said:

You cant! Drows are chaotic, they dislike balance, you cant vote for them in the name of balance, it doesnt make any sense :p

2 words

Drow Blackguard. Back in black :P
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    Wouldn't they be overpowered with innate magic resistance and such things?
    Samiel said:

Wouldn't they be overpowered with innate magic resistance and such things?

not more than Viconia and that ballance it'self out whe we count it block also beneficial magic

• RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    Nah, Drow ain't my thing. Now Draconians.... THATS another story!!!!

Nah, Drow ain't my thing. Now Draconians.... THATS another story!!!!

You can already play a Paladin ;)
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Only if we can have some cool little Deep Gnomes tooo, bring on the Svirfneblin
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited August 2012
    @mch202, only good drows are chaotic, that happens because they're raised in an evil society, their laws and behavior are ruled by evil in all it's forms.

For a drow that run from underdark, that's a sign of renounce to the society as they know it, therefore they're chaotic.

Evil drows from underdark are normally evil, in fact a chaotic drow would not survive for long inside drow hierarchy, as any mistake there result in death or slavery normally.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I guess Edwin is ok as the best mage, better than your own, and Viconia is ok as a drow that can outshine your elven cleric but yeah let's not make overpowered pcs.

It's not like you could ever solo the game with certain characters.

Oh wait :P

Drow is unbalancing and Half-Orc with +1 Str, Con and minus on Int that plays no role isn't?

Magic resistance is strong, but it's the only thing they have as i see it.