Skip to content

Come share your odd gaming habits! What do you refuse to do in BG? What wierd ideas do you love?

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited January 2014
    @booinyoureyes
    Edit: shamelessly stolen from @KidCarnival, if that wasn't already obvious.
    nano said:

I want to see your Coran too!

• WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    A weird thing I started doing, I count the number of bodies so I know how manyfoes I chunked. Good or Evil, It's satisfying when make your enemies explode in meat balls.
    edited January 2014

That... is not Coran

I cannot tell a lie - I absolutely hate his default portrait. After much trial and error, I found that this one just works for me, for some reason.
    As ever, there's no accounting for my taste.
    @nano
    I have to say, I'm very tempted to steal that portrait.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    "I eat green wyverns for breakfast and right now... I am very hungry"
    no, but for realz, I use Haer-Dalis's portrait sometimes
    @astafas love the yeslick change. that portrait needed to be used!
    I also really like your Dynaheir.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @jackjack use mine as Imoen! :P
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    A dilemma I'm facing now: How do you justify (If you can) doing the quests for Renal Bloodscalp with a lawful good party? Does anyone else have this problem?

I mean, to an extent I can imagine my character asking for help from everyone on how to get Imoen back, then realising the only ones who will help are the shadow thieves or the vampires, so you choose the lesser of two evils. But, that sends you straight to Aran Linvail.

So, if you're playing good do you have to skip Mae'Var and co, missing out on the juicy goodies and XP?

Windspear, Umar, Trademeet, Nalia's Keep and the Unseeing Eye are all no brainers for good parties. But the planar sphere and the planar prison are quite hard for me to justify as a LG paladin as well..
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014
    @vangoat

I couldn't justify the Mae'Var stuff, so I never did it. Same with Xzar, who Charname knows to be a creepy evil dude he met sooner after Gorion's death.

I had no difficulty rationalising Planar Sphere. You can't kill Valygar as a Good character after he explains his story and his intentions. Helping him to vanquish an evil necromancer seems the noble thing to do.

Planar Prison... memory a bit vague, I got sucked into that quest whilst looking for Unseeing Eye, but I recall just seeing the entire theatre group get arrested and teleported into it. I can't remember what my rationale was... It might have just been curiosity... Oh and I don't think I got paid for rescuing Haer'dalis! lol

Edit: Oh actually I think I was also concerned that saving Haer'dalis might be part of Aerie's questline, and was worried that she may leave Charname if we abandoned Haer'dalis. Had I known the bastard would try to hit on her, I'd have let him rot in there. :D That said, I think I found my first set of Boots of Speed in there, so it was a worthwhile trip anyway. I imagine it's pretty nasty for a lower level party though. I can just imagine a beginner recruiting Aerie outta the dungeon, and then "Okay, I'll go see Quayle... Okay Aerie, let's go help Quayle's friend... Oh... well we better rescue him... Oh shit... Ragequit."

Edit 2: Typo
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I feel like the Planar Prison is pretty hard to justify for anyone with an int score over 8... jumping into a portal that's full of demons, probably won't even take you to the same place as Haer'dalis and with no way of traveling back seems like a stunningly bad idea.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Well, someone drowning in lava is obviously in trouble as well but you don't see me diving in to swim with them. You gotta do more than ask nicely to get me to jump off a metaphorical cliff like that. It did work out but I say Charname got incredibly lucky not to have ended up somewhere much worse. Not to mention Haer'Dalis has been less than trustworthy in the past...
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    nano said:

Well, someone drowning in lava is obviously in trouble as well but you don't see me diving in to swim with them. You gotta do more than ask nicely to get me to jump off a metaphorical cliff like that. It did work out but I say Charname got incredibly lucky not to have ended up somewhere much worse. Not to mention Haer'Dalis has been less than trustworthy in the past...

Good point... although I would say someone drowning in lava is done for anyway. I just think a good character would feel an obligation to make sure they've done everything they can before throwing up their hands and saying 'well, that's that then. Let's go... get a beer'.
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    I guess my problem with the planar sphere is agreeing to the quest from Tolgerias in the first place, before he even explains what it is. Or can you start it just by meeting Valygar in the hills? If you can start it just by bumping into Valygar in his cabin, then I can see why you'd agree to go slay an evil necromancer.

The problem with Haer Dalis is he's a thief.. he breaks into Mekrath's lab to try and steal his gem. Then you find out the theatre troupe are fugitives from some extra-planar prison. They lie to you, you know they steal, then finally they get arrested after you agree to help protect them from the portal. Maybe that's justice served? Why should you jump to some other plane to try to help some liars and thieves you just met? You've got to get to the business of rescuing Imoen ASAP, and Raelis has already rewarded you for freeing HD.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2014
    Of course, with the portal/planar prison, if you take the time to consider all the options, the problem will likely just solve itself anyway. Nice knowing you Haery.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    vangoat said:

I guess my problem with the planar sphere is agreeing to the quest from Tolgerias in the first place, before he even explains what it is. Or can you start it just by meeting Valygar in the hills? If you can start it just by bumping into Valygar in his cabin, then I can see why you'd agree to go slay an evil necromancer.

The problem with Haer Dalis is he's a thief.. he breaks into Mekrath's lab to try and steal his gem. Then you find out the theatre troupe are fugitives from some extra-planar prison. They lie to you, you know they steal, then finally they get arrested after you agree to help protect them from the portal. Maybe that's justice served? Why should you jump to some other plane to try to help some liars and thieves you just met? You've got to get to the business of rescuing Imoen ASAP, and Raelis has already rewarded you for freeing HD.

You never have to agree to anything with Tolgerias, and I never have. Valgyr will ask for help when you meet him.

As for Haer Dalis, well, I have no problem with jumping to the rescue, to sort of what I see my character as being all about. Even if the actors are a shady bunch, what they've run a fouled of is pure evil. Shoot, I'd fight that evil even with no one at all in trouble...

The Renal Blood scalp quests are what I have the most trouble with. Although even then, if you have Yoshimo with you, he can convince me that it's the smart way to go. But I really don't like that quest line.

BTW, you can do the first two after you rescue Imoen with no problem. That's what I normally do.

"I eat green wyverns for breakfast and right now... I am very hungry"

That's young Keldorn!
    Sure he looked that way!
    @booinyoureyes the SoA Keldorn is T-900, and the ToB Keldorn is the T-1000 :P.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    atcDave said:

And I very rarely use summons, it seems horribly evil to me to summon some creature to die for you.

Actually per the rules, at least in 3.5, summons don't die because they are not real creatures. They are not Gated in and they are not animal companions.

Basically the summon spells create copies of creatures and when their HP goes to 0, they poof, they don't die, so you have no corpses of summons.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    Archaos said:

atcDave said:

And I very rarely use summons, it seems horribly evil to me to summon some creature to die for you.

Actually per the rules, at least in 3.5, summons don't die because they are not real creatures. They are not Gated in and they are not animal companions.

Basically the summon spells create copies of creatures and when their HP goes to 0, they poof, they don't die, so you have no corpses of summons.
    Gee that's morally tidy. Pretty sure that's not the case in 2E. I seem to remember the animals even included stipulations on how long it might take the critter to find you.