Skip to content

Come share your odd gaming habits! What do you refuse to do in BG? What wierd ideas do you love?

Comments

• SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709

actually, I think in PnP, Druids use scythes, not scimitars, but since scythes aren't a weapon class in game, they went for scimitars instead. I could be wrong, it's been a long time since i even looked at 2ed rules

Not quite, it's sickles which makes much more sense (cutting herbs and stuff). And scimitars are allowed in PnP as well. To quote from the 2nd edition players handbook:

----
    Weapons Allowed
    Unlike the cleric, the druid is allowed to use only "natural" armors -- padded, hide, or leather armor and wooden shields, including those with magical enhancements. All other armors are forbidden to him. His weapons are limited to club, sickle, dart, spear, dagger, scimitar, sling, and staff.
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427

I have this thing about Jaheira, being a fighter/druid multiclass not being able to wear metal armor, because it kind of goes against the whole druid thing imo. The only metal I allow her to use are small shields and scimitars. So it's strictly leather armor/clubs/staves/scimitars/slings for her

I've always wondered about Jaheira, surely by being a druid she can't wear any of the armour. Iron/Steel etc is mined from the ground which she's probably against (though the Harpers do protect the balance, therefore she may JUST be okay with it). But leather, well, it's obvious where that comes from and she wears it?
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    I will only allow people to join my party if my CHARNAME believes they are capable in a fight and, if good, trustworthy or, if evil, killable by my PC. For instance when playing good I never take Nalia and rarely Aerie because they are far to inexperenced to fight a powerhouse mage like Irenicus.
    Also it would seem I'm a minority because Imoen annoys the crap out of me and I rarely include her in my party, even when good. When evil I often chunk her just for the fun of it in Spellhold, especially with the addition of Hexxat. My good CHARNAME will get her out of Spellhold then drop her in the CC and swap for Jan usually.
    And if party members die I usually leave them dead, unless I have the rod. I'll write an epitath in my journal then move on.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited January 2014
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks about these sorts of things.

1) I already did that thread talking about how I've been trying to reduce my use of unrealistic "hammerspace", especially on the fighters. Now that I have a toon in the Underdark with a blue bag of holding, I'm pretending that he knows a spell to send and summon items to and from that blue bag by magic, sort of like one of the witches on "Bewitched" might do, but not during combat - I'm trying to scout and anticipate, and have everybody already holding and wearing what they need, as though I still can't pause the game on the inventory screen, and I'm having a lot of fun with that.

2) I'll have to think about that potions thing. Now that @Shin mentions it, it *has* always bugged my sense of realistic immersion to drink potions while in the middle of combat, even if they are imagined to be in very small containers that can be unstoppered with the thumb and consumed one-handed.

I can see it maybe being done if the potions are being held in pouches in the belt, no more than what can be put in the quick slots, but not if both hands are occupied. So, you wouldn't be able to drink if you are performing archery, or using sword and shield, or a two-handed weapon. Having badly wounded party members retreat from combat to drink may be a solution, here, as someone suggested.

My worry about taking the realism that far is that drinking health potions is so often a matter of survival in these games. It's usually a case of "drink or die". And, of course, action rpg games are built and balanced around health potion use - imagine playing Diablo or its clones without drinking any health potions, especially early in the character build.

3) I've seen quite a few things in almost every post here that I do myself. I don't reload if a character dies, but I won't leave them like that - if an npc dies, my priority becomes to drop whatever I'm doing and get to a temple.

4) I never play evil, because I can't stand it.

5) @Shandyr made a thread once about druids and armor/weapons use.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/20539/so-do-druids-have-to-be-fruitarians/p1

I'll have to think about restricting Jaheira's armor use. That would make her unable to be a front-line fighter, and she'd be relegated to being a pure caster. In fact, the Divine Remix mod forces Jaheira into leather if you install the druid component.

Since Jaheira is so awesome as a front-liner, and given her personality, I usually just figure that she uses metal armor out of sheer practicality. She probably thinks that the good she can do by kicking butt for Nature balances out the bad that was done by mining and smelting the metal. We discussed these issues in some depth in that other thread.

6) Reloading itself is something I avoid, because it feels phony, and makes my eventual winning feel hollow. I mostly only reload if Charname dies, and that's because I don't buy into the "Bhaalspawn can't be raised" thing, and I like to imagine that the other party members get him raised.

Every once in a while, on the rare occasion that I suffer a TPK, I will reload if I was really, really into that run, and too far into it to want to start all over. In those cases, I usually just imagine that the first time was a vision or dream sent to Charname as a warning to do something different. I know that's really corny, but, oh well. Playing realistically is only fun as long as it's fun.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Not to help without a reward if I am playing evil.
    To make Khalid get drunk so his morale increases :P.
    To kill ALL the idiots in BG1, ALL of them, more XP and more magic stuff, plus, THEY WERE IDITOZ! So....
    To slay Good party members who critical miss if I am playing evil (GREAT FUN!!).
    To get that person to run away if he/she gets under 25% Hit Points in a fight (including fighters) to heal he/she.
    To roleplay evil much more than good, it is much funnier :D.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    edited January 2014

@atcDave
    I will also never play evil, so I've not bothered staying away from Hexxat spoilers since I'll never use her anyway, same goes for Dorn.

One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned... and I hope I don't get bashed too much for this... is that I like to keep my girls protected in backline roles.

I know that with the proper equipment, Aerie and Jaheira can be effective tanks, but I just didn't 'picture' them in that role RP-wise. I am a bit of a traditional guy, so although I know that women can be just as strong as men, I prefer that they had more gracefully 'feminine' and safer roles in the party.

That said, I never had Shar-teel in my party, and I readily threw Mazzy into battle, since she is clearly a 'proper warrior'. Also as I got more familiar with Jaheira's personality in BG 2, I've become less bothered about 'protecting' her, since she can clearly handle herself in a scrap, RP-wise. Now that Jaheira has White Dragon Scale and Staff of the Ram +6 in ToB, she's been clubbing giants and drow for fun along with Charname, Minsc and Anomen in the frontlines.

Of course, I still wrap up Aerie in cotton wool... especially now with her... 'condition'.

I've also read up on those characters, and verified for myself that I'll never use them!

Funny though about the women, I just love the kick-butt front line woman warrior sort of character. My current BG2 is with a woman Cavalier PC, I just love such characters. I do agree with carefully shielding certain soft targets; like Aerie, Imoen, Neera. But I'm fine with Jaheira busting heads. I guess I look more at class and scores than gender. Funny since I am pretty traditional, but I love a good heroine.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @Heindrich1988 I agree with much of what you said, except that I have no qualms putting women in the front-lines if the character calls for it. I can't see anyone telling Jaheira to stay back and heal. Mazzy is also a total G.
    Plus if you EVER say that to Shar-Teel!
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014
    @atcDave @booinyoureyes
    Yeah as I said, it's not a misogynist attitude or anything, more of a 'traditional gentlemanly' desire to see women protected from the brutality of frontline combat.

It depends on the girl of course. As I said, I keep 'dear sweet Aerie' and 'lil' sis Immy' as well protected as possible (though Imoen sometimes gets into trouble cos she's the party scout/trap finder), but that says nothing about what I think of their abilities. I actually love how in ToB Aerie rebels against exactly my attitude of being overly protective of her! lol

On the flip side, for Mazzy, I never hesitated to throw her into the frontline, and now that I know Jaheira well, I think I'll probably 'scimitar and shield' her to be a tank for my next playthrough, cos my Kensai can't really tank in BG 1.

My preferences on how I see women in fantasy games might be influenced by imagery in fantasy games in general, where men are walking suits of impossibly heavy armour, and women wear 'bikini plate' at best, which naturally leave women in support/ranged roles, and men in close combat ones.

Edit:
    ps: I may sound like I am a grumpy old geezer who talks about the 'good ol' days' and 'the war' all the time. But I am actually 25. :D
    @Heindrich1988 I never took it as a misogynistic thing (I hope I didn't sound accusatory or anything). To be honest, if we look at human physical abilities in a realistic way, men are simply more likely to be front-liners than women.

However, there are women who would fit there perfectly, and a character like that in *my game* should be a front-liner. 'Rare' does not mean 'never'. Jaheira, Mazzy, Branwen and Shar-Teel all fit this category. I was also a big Xena/Lucy Flawless fan growing up, and later on a huge Buffy fan, so that helps! Xena fit the front lines physically, due to the actress, but Buffy was definitely fantasy :)

There is an NPC mod out there (newer one) with a female paladin called Isra that I am excited to try. I think it was written by Liam Esler, so its bound to be of decent quality at least. I thought the heavy plated female badass was always missing in the series outside of Jaheira (Branwen kinds fit the first game, but like Jaheira she was not a straight warrior class). Mazzy kinda fit that role, but as a halfling she always seemed like an over-achiever who got by on bravery, skill and mental/emotional toughness rather than physical fortitude.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    On the topic of potions. Despite how they are depicted in most fantasy games, I don't think glass bottles are particularly practical for an adventuring party. All that rough and tumble could easily result in costly breaks and spillages!

This is how I imagine my potion containers... I just remembered seeing a good example from a Chinese Wuxia TV series.

Small sturdy vial made of wood/bamboo or some other natural material. It's magical liquid, so you shouldn't need to down a pint of it for its purpose to take effect!

If you fast forward to 23:50 ...

For those that don't speak Chinese, a little background...

The boy was being bullied at the Daoist Temple where those priests come from. During a fight he badly wounded a fellow student with a forbidden 'dark' technique that causes poisoning, and ran away to the caves of the nearby Tomb Sect. The old woman is a member of the Tomb Sect, who took pity on the boy and decided to look after him.

They've just come out of the caves to confront the priests. She brings a small vial of antidote that would cure the wounded student, but the priests suspect the vial may contain poison. Outraged at her honour and integrity being questioned by the Daoists, the old woman makes the boy drink the antidote to prove that it's not poison, and then declares that she has no more, and the Daoists can go bugger off to find their own way to save their poisoned disciple....
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

Shin said:

I never use potions in combat - the idea of someone carrying around dozens of bottles and getting the time in the middle of a fight to select one of them, open it up and drink it seems way too gamey, a lot like health pack drops in many other games.

@Shin

As @belgarathmth said, this can be difficult to strictly adhere to cos the game is clearly designed with drinking potions in mind. I have a similar problem with 'realistic rest', especially when playing blind. I have just completed Sendai's Enclave for the first time, and it felt really immersion breaking to rest half way into it, but I didn't know how much further I had to go, and I just knew Sendai would be a tough battle, and I didn't wanna face it without most of my best spells.
    Right, I can see how very strict adherence to such a rule could easily cause difficulty problems, especially to newer players. In a Pirates of the Caribbean-like fashion, I probably view it more as a guideline - if my main character is about to die, I would use one, after retreating from conbat - but if I see I have to use potions several times throughout a fight to stay alive I will take it as a sign that my tactics are messed up and usually resort to reloading the encounter and trying a different approach. Like @Tresset mentioned on the last page, I too want my battles to play out a certain way in regards to both RP and general "flow". I certainly don't want to "win by potion" against an otherwise superior enemy, an approach I loathe in games like Diablo etc that are reliant on constant quaffing.

Anyway, I also find that being very restrictive with potions makes me rely on clerics as almost straight-out healers, with rather limited buffing and offensive casting. Many are the times I've sent Viconia into the fray to heal a hard-pressed tank. Later on the mass heal spell in particular is useful as it lets you heal your entire party at once from a distance. The idea of relying on party members helping each other out and fulfilling their particular roles rather than everyone using potions to make up for it also appeals to me.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    Skaffen said:

actually, I think in PnP, Druids use scythes, not scimitars, but since scythes aren't a weapon class in game, they went for scimitars instead. I could be wrong, it's been a long time since i even looked at 2ed rules

Not quite, it's sickles which makes much more sense (cutting herbs and stuff). And scimitars are allowed in PnP as well. To quote from the 2nd edition players handbook:

----
    Weapons Allowed
    Unlike the cleric, the druid is allowed to use only "natural" armors -- padded, hide, or leather armor and wooden shields, including those with magical enhancements. All other armors are forbidden to him. His weapons are limited to club, sickle, dart, spear, dagger, scimitar, sling, and staff.
    sickle is actually what I meant lol, but guess I was wrong about the scimitar thing. Like I said, very long time since I've looked at that stuff
  • MrTea1976MrTea1976 Member Posts: 20
    I always do an evil run through after a good one and make sure I'm overall playing 50/50 male/female characters. Can't bring myself to play a Paladin all the way through or a single classed fighter.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180

I have this thing about Jaheira, being a fighter/druid multiclass not being able to wear metal armor, because it kind of goes against the whole druid thing imo. The only metal I allow her to use are small shields and scimitars. So it's strictly leather armor/clubs/staves/scimitars/slings for her

I've always wondered about Jaheira, surely by being a druid she can't wear any of the armour. Iron/Steel etc is mined from the ground which she's probably against (though the Harpers do protect the balance, therefore she may JUST be okay with it). But leather, well, it's obvious where that comes from and she wears it?
    Well, true, but I can't let her wander into battle butt naked, that would be wrong lol
    edited January 2014
    Delvarian said:

I think the oddest thing that I do is try to match my party as closely to their portraits as possible. Be it weapons, armor, helmets or shields. If the character has it in the portrait he/she has it in my game. What's more they get the armor that's color best matches their portrait, even if that armor isn't the best they can get.

Khalid can NOT be shieldless thats for sure.
    In BG1 Jaheira MUST use a staff or spear (even spear is pushing it)
    Kivan is EEKeepered(or modded)-->Archer 18/xx strength be damned
    Ajantis uses a great sword or a single bastard sword that he wields 2 handed. he is also ALWAYS made into an Inquisitor since he is the squire of none other than the legendary Sir Keldorn Firecam
    I was really feeling guilty the first time I had Minsc use a weapon other than a greatsword, but I get over it. I just make him use "fierce unwieldy" weapons like the Flail of Ages, axes or the occasional mace.
    When characters come with their own equipment, they USE it throughout SoA (in TOB I'll upgrade). I'll occasionally make an exception for Carsomyr and Anomen's Shield (cuz as I said, shields are for pansies!) but usually I stick with that rule.
    When Mazzy eventually dual-wields, its Kundane in the off-hand and sword of Arvoreen in her main hand.

Also I always have one of the mods that turn helmet animations off. They are so ugly, especially when delicate little Aerie is wearing some elegant robe and then a big spiked viking helmet on top. It just looks so bizarre. It's as if someone made Kate Beckinsale wear a fitted baseball hat backwards... just no

Though I love dual-wield for the style, no weird dual weapon combos. Gotta stick with either small weapon offhand, or mirror-mage (blade with blade). I have two exceptions: I'm okay with a flail main hand and a bastard/longsword offhand (stab, pin and then beat evil to a bloody pulp) and also an sword + offhand axe for Valygar or other rangers (I see axe as the ultimate ranger woodsman weapon for some reason). No hammer and dagger (lolwut?) no mace and katana, and especially no dagger and shield (if there is a shield spot available)!

Bows and trowing weapons (and occasionally darts) are all superior to lame crossbows and slings. I use slings but I don't like them on anything other than shorties. Crossbows just don't look fun on anyone not named Jan Jansen.

I will say this: the sexiest look is a dual wielding human female mage paper-doll. I give Nalia offhand weapons just because it makes her look like River Tam!