Skip to content

Favorite TV Shows?

Comments

• AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @Corvino
    A Twin Peakish drama with Mogwai soundtracks? MUST WATCH! Wonder if it is on Netflix?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited January 2014
    Growing up I watched Night Court, Taxi, and Star Trek: TNG
    They're still my 3 favorite shows.
    Since childhood, I've added The Wire, Scrubs, and Futurama to that list.
    There are probably more.
    Edit: how could I forget Archer?
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    Well, this might be a long list.

Futurama. No doubt about it, the best animated series ever. Funny, smart, touching. I like the fact that the characters remain more or less consistent, and time moves on, unlike in Simpsons.

Justified. Not your average cop show. Characters are incredibly well written, as is the amazing dialogue.

Firefly. One of the best shows ever. Shiny.

How I Met Your Mother. Quality may have gone done in the later seasons, but it was very high to begin with, so it doesn't matter that much.

NCIS. Occasionally it might be almost sickeningly Eagleland-'muricafuckyeah-patriotismequalsmilitaryaction and some of the episodes are embarrasingly stupid (videogames in tv-shows generally get the idiot treatment), but there is something that keeps me from abandoning the show. Must be the characters and their relationships with each other.

Fast Show. Best sketch comedy ever. Suit you, sir!

Family Guy. Retarded humor works on me as well.

Wire in the Blood. A UK crime drama, with an excellent main character and some quite gruesome murderers.

Band of Brothers. Manages to avoid 'muricanisms almost completely, and focuses on the soldiers lives instead of the "big picture".

And for a very small group in here, I have to mention Kummeli and Studio Julmahuvi.

Other series which I'm watching but probably will not rewatch anytime soon:
    Mentalist
    Sherlock/Elementary (I like both, you can't make me choose sides)
    Hannibal
    Castle
    True Detective (only three episodes in so far, but I'm liking it)
    Scrubs
    Supernatural

And shows which I intend to watch, but right now I'm swamped in studies, so they'll have to wait:
    Breaking Bad
    Wire
    Game of Thrones
    Spooks
    Twin Peaks
    Dalziel & Pascoe
    ER (only 16 seasons!)
    Under the Dome
    Green Wing

Luckily Netflix is cheap, and Hola Unblocker free.

And finally the shows which I've grown tired of and abandoned:
    Bones (lost it's tension when Booth and Bones finally did, and murders either became overly serious or complete farces)
    Criminal Minds (repetitive)

Might have missed a few shows here and there, but this sums it up pretty well: I watch way too much TV.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Apparently NBC is bringing Heroes back as a miniseries this year
    Anybody else watching True Detective?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2014
    YES and it is amazing!
    @jackjack‌
    I love it too. Soooo good so far. matthew mcconaughey and woody harrelson are both killing it!
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited February 2014
    I'm a bit surprised that Mad Men only has one mention. It's compelling, even though I feel compelled to drink neat spirits every time I watch it. Too many evenings have been lost that way.

It seems unique in being almost entirely character driven. There is no real story arc aside from the unfolding 60s. It provides an interesting look at consumerism, the American Dream, the nuclear family and a lot more. It also shows how alien even a recent period like this was in terms of attitudes and manners.

A friend of mine initially refused to watch it because it's usually described in terms of how stylish it is and how attractive the cast are, and he thought it would be shallow. It's not. It's got similar subtlety to the Wire - lots of expressive glances at the end of conversations, brief throwaway dialogues full of hidden meaning and so on.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Vikings returned to the History Channel last night. :D

This show makes me hate and love the same characters all at once, which is why it's good, I guess. One moment I think Rolo's a total bastard, the next I can't help but feel sorry for him. One moment I think Ragnar's the best thing ever, the next he does something that makes me wanna pull my hair out.

Humans, right? I mean, go figure. :/
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2014
    Hear yee! hear yee! Vikings are back,vikings are back ..hic and Crevsdaak for mayor..Crewsdaak for mayor..hic..
    Oh my! Me and buttons intoxicated..
    Post edited by Dungeonnoob on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Hear yee! hear yee! Vikings are back,vikings are back ..hic and Crevsdaak for major..Crewsdaak for major..hic..

Just MAJOR?!?!? MAJOR!?!?? they underestimate me, I RULE ALL, WITHOUT RULES, THE LORD OF CHAOS TRIUMPHS!!

I guess that Major should be alright! ;)
    edited March 2014
    What's this insanity... Triple post O.O
    edited March 2014
    Um, sorry, triple post :|
    Anyone see Orphan Black? I got it recently recommended to me and I'm checking it out. Like it so far. These Canadians like their sci-fi, eh? What's that aboot?

I recently watched the first season of TURN on AMC and I thought it was pretty good. As a history major I'm a big fan of that time period and that conflict (to the extent that you can be a "fan" of a conflict). I like how it remains fairly true to history.

I'm excited that one of my favorite programs Braquo has returned. It is a French program bu they already have English subtitles from the start for this season, which is awesome.... except that I still have to wait to watch it because the World Cup is taking up my time :/

I did make time for Game of Thrones though, and that was just as great this season as it was during previous years... which means it was bloody awesome.

Any suggestions for newer shows for me to check out after Orphan Black and Braquo?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    I've been watching Orange is the New Black. I've found it to be pretty good.

I also got into Misfits (though obviously its no longer being produced). Took awhile to get into but I've enjoyed it so far.

Likewise I've been watching some of the second season of Sherlock from the BBC. Its good as well.
    I really need to catch up on Orphan Black... Loved the first season, but stopped watching the second after two episodes because we could never figure out when it was on.

As for newer showed, I really enjoyed Black Box on ABC...while it was still AIRING. =_= They gave it a three-week break, so it should be coming back soon...hopefully...maybe... (At least, they better bring it back. *shakes fist at television*)
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    Vikings is the only thing i have been watching lately... cable company screwed my dad over a few decades back so we just use netflix. Or what ever else is "cough" available....
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I just had a look through this thread and cannot see any mention of Boston Legal. It's very silly and makes me laugh and think at the same time. Plus it has James Spader and William Shatner, and no real fourth wall. If you've ever thought that perhaps your life is some sort of drama/sitcom, Boston Legal is the textbook for pulling it off while looking stylish.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited June 2014
    I haven't read much of this thread but doctor who should be on now, not later, Sherlock needs more than 3 episodes in a season, and firefly should have gotten a second, maybe even part of a third season. @Nonnahswriter‌ i also like castle... It's gotten overly sentimental though, and if you saw this last season, they're really stretching it out. Starting to feel like to little butter stretched over to much bread.

Another really good show that got cheated out of its deserved life so Spy. It's about a guy with an Artemis Fowlish(if anyones heard of those children's books) son who accidentally gets a job with MI5. It's REALLY great. It's British, (I think Sky? Is that a thing?) but it's on hulu.
    @meagloth I loved the season finale because the actor who played Pete off Warehouse 13 was a guest-star. XD But you're right, a lot of people hated the ending, like they're stretching the drama way too far out just for the sake of...well, drama. :/

It didn't help that right after we saw the car crash, they immediately advertised "Castle and Beckett will be back this fall on ABC!" I mean... Really? You can't just pretend to kill the protagonist and then let everyone know he's coming back! What the heck, Castle-writers!?

I do think it's nearing the end of its life. Castle and Beckett are an item now, they'll likely get married next season, if not right away because drama. Beckett's subplot with her mother's murder is solved. Castle's family is drifting further apart (Castle's desire to find a place with his new wife, his daughter trying to find her place in the world). If it were to end after this next season, I'd be sad, but I wouldn't be surprised. As they say, all good things must come to an end.

That said, I intend to own the entire series on blu-ray someday, soooo... >.>;;
    Yup. Of they had ended it there they could have wrapped it up real nice with a bow and had a great show. But gold makes the world go round, doninit? I think it's getting quite popular, and they can't just kill a cash cow like that.
    Best spy show ever (really best espionage fiction I have ever been exposed to) is The Sandbaggers. I think @meagloth‌ might like it if he likes spy stories. It is actually a very realistic take on the intelligence services and was written by a former MI6 operative who unfortunately died in a mysterious plane crash after the third season... and his body was never discovered (which of course sparked a slew of crazy conspiracy theories!).
    It is low on violence and high on bureaucracy but never short of entertainment. The protagonist is the director of operations for SIS (aka MI6) and his three "sandbaggers" (operatives). It often highlights the interaction between SIS/MI6 and the Foreign Office as well as the special relationship between the US and the UK through the protagonists relationship with the head of station of the CIA's London branch. The CIA guy saved the protagonist's life in Vietnam and they share information and are trusted allies... but not always on the same side.
    It is quite hard to get a hold of, and I had to pay handsomely for it on ebay. However, there are... ways... to view it online. Really good stuff and one of my favorites.
    meagloth said:

firefly should have gotten a second, maybe even part of a third season.

False. It should have gotten a million bajillion katrillion seasons.

meagloth said:

firefly should have gotten a second, maybe even part of a third season.

False. It should have gotten a million bajillion katrillion seasons.
    No. It's would have died by season 5. You can't keep something so good running like that. It's to risky. A movie was dangerous enough. Do you really want a million katrillion -5 seasons of some terrible show using the characters from what was once the best thing on TV?
    Be carful what you wish for.
    Obviously I was engaging in hyperbole. Five seasons seems to be the best number (Supernatural went downhill after five, The Wire ended strong at 5, also Angel and Breaking Bad). However, Buffy and The Shield were good for seven years so you never know.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited November 2014
    Tough choice - derail a thread even further by continuing an off-topic discussion in it or revive and old thread. As you can see I decided to play little Necromancer.

@schreier‌ , love your Batman theme. I have a thief in my current 4-member pure class party, named "Kat", and she's inspired by a combination of Selina Kyle and Teri from the IWD NPC Project.

If you're watching the new show "Gotham", young orphan Selina is a major character, fascinated with the recently orphaned 12-year old Bruce Wayne, and the differences in their situations. (He with extreme wealth and a loving Alfred, and she with nothing but her street smarts.) Also, in the Gotham version of the lore, Selina witnessed Bruce's parents' murder.

Gotham has also introduced the child Pamela Isley in a single scene, hinting that they will do a story arc with her in the future, if they get enough seasons.

schreier said:

Thanks! I am watching .... trying to keep up with all the comic shows. It's interesting - they renamed Pamela Isley as Ivy Pepper - an easier name to connect to Poison Ivy obviously. I do like Selina in the show a lot ... I saw they aren't bringing Harley Quinn in this season, although apparently she's going to be on Arrow at some point I hear.

@schreier @BelgarathMTH‌, I also enjoy watching Gotham. They made couple interesting choices and I wonder how it will pan out. Hopefully, it won't be another one season series... and the fact they got extra episodes recently is a good sign.
    I saw a lot of people complaining that they add too many references to DC Universe, but personally I like them. True, they could be more subtle in many occasions, but I still enjoy catching them (at least ones I can =P)

As for Harley Quinn in Arrow, she already 'appeared' in previous season.

She was part of Suicide Squad. In episode you can hear only her voice, though some scenes were with her were done and then simply not added into the episode. She was voice by non other than Tara Strong (Harley Quinn in Batman: Arkham games and Injustice God Amongst Us)

• schreierschreier Member Posts: 79
    edited November 2014
    I haven't watched Arrow before this season, but I just started - and love the Flash. I will probably go back and catch up on past seasons of Arrow just for completeness (that's what I did with Supernatural.)

Constantine is pretty solid, although seems very very similar to Supernatural which may help or hurt.

I am excited about the Netflix shows (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and the Defenders), and honestly don't mind Agents of Shield this season. I think it started slow but is quietly getting better.

Sleepy Hollow is losing me. This last week with
    [spoiler] the gorgon and the Sword of Methuselah seemed particularly out there.
    I am really impressed by Gotham. I think it's becoming my favorite on-air tv show.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I Don't have a TV :(
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @schreier‌, haha, I can't imagine watching series from xth season. Usually it would be quite hard to get half what's happening. To be honest, I am quite disappointed with Constantine so far, but still hope it will get better.
    Do you know when those Netflix shows are coming up?
    As for Agents of Shield, I am sure the second half of season will be great, for now they are putting in all elements they will need later. What do you think about Agent Carter? It's premier will be in January afair and last episode was clearly preparing us for it.

@meagloth, it's really good, but it would take couple seasons for me before I could call favourite.

@wubble, who watches TV shows on TV these days any way? =P

P.S.
    Over the weekend I might get inspired to make my watched/currently watching/to-watch list... and then everyone will start developing strange opinions about me ;)