Skip to content

Favorite TV Shows?

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Agent Carter also renewed! And Agents of SHIELD!!!

And Rosario Dawson to return for Daredevil season 2.

All awesome stuff.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Cahir said:

Two series of which potential were wasted are:
    Lost
    Prison Break

@Cahir
    YES

LOST: Called Lost because I lost over a hundred hours watching this Ponzi scheme that I will never get back

Why is LOST a Ponzi scheme? Because they gave you mysteries that you invested in, promised to pay you off with answers that never existed and then in order to distract you from the fact that upwards of 90% of their plot threads lead absolutely nowhere they offered you new little bits and pieces of intrigue each episode that also went unanswered. All this after their best writers left after the third season, and none of the cool stuff they introduced was ever addressed. The LOST finale was the biggest F U to an audience I have ever seen!

I am ashamed I bought into their diabolical plot to waste an hour of my week for five years and this is why I am never falling for any of the "next LOST" scams that similarly lead viewers on with no intention of paying off (I'm looking at you The Event and FlashForward)

Pirson Break is just a classic example of a quality story that was supposed to finish after one year but was a victim of its own popularity and was artificially extended into a second and third season. It got more and more absurd as time went on because it had nowhere else left to go. This makes it more forgivable than BeneLOST Arnold, but at least I was able to drop it after the third (ridiculous) season and not have to think about it again. I'm happy the two leads are now back together on The Flash as cool (pun intended) supervillains.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    edited May 2015

I'm happy the two leads are now back together on The Flash as cool (pun intended) supervillains.

Which reminds me, I didn't really care for The Flash when it first premiered, but my mom and brother watch it every night, so I've kind of followed it reluctantly along. It's actually gotten quite good. :) I like it more than Agents of Shield.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    The Flash has definitely grown on me as well. It kind of sneaks up on you. I am eagerly awaiting the Season Finale and season 2.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I always liked it, but then again The Flash is my favorite DC hero along with Hawkman, though I greatly prefer the Wally West version that got erased with the new DC Universe (that made me quit their comics entirely)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    What I post is intendes as : go check it out, unless you already know.

"Classics"

Chief Inspector Morse - just love, love John Thaw, and the way his char is both admirable and so imperfect.

This dramatization over-achieves the books, for characters. Amazing musical score (on classic side) and lovely cinematography. And... John Thaw.

Prime Suspect - this TV series is, IMO, the proof why Oscar statue is a glam popularity contest, and sure, exclusive, but so is heirdoom to any throne?

Simply: if I was to asked to retain but one performance by Helen Mirren, it would be DCI Tennison. The longitudinal evolution of the main characters in such TV series allow for depth, truth and intensity.

"Newbies"

Endeavour - being a major Morse fancier, I did not consider myself a natural Endeavour fan, but I am one, now.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Not much love for reality shows in here. These days, they're the only things I watch. The last fictional show I saw all the way through was Sons of Liberty (rimshot).

I just finished binge watching the 3rd season of Barnwood Builders and I'm real excited about the start of the new season of Forged in Fire tonight.

I also like, in no particular order:
    Tanked
    Treehouse Masters
    Flip or Flop
    Counting Cars
    Pawn Stars
    American Pickers
    Fast and Loud
    Aerial America
    Rehab Addict
    Restaurant Impossible
    River Monsters

I really enjoyed the Barbarians Rising miniseries. I had been seriously disappointed by Sons of Liberty and it was nice to see that the History Channel could still produce a dramatic series that didn't dip to far into fantasy land.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    My latest favorite is Teen Wolf. I've been binge watching it from season one. I thought it was going to be the usual teen drama stuff, and it does have some of that, but I've been very surprised how well-written it is and how much character development it has. It's kind of a combination of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (except with werewolves), and a really good serialized drama series. The characters are all shades of grey. Nobody is wholly good (except maybe Scott), or wholly evil. Even the worst villains in the show have a sympathetic side to them. You understand why they do as they do. I think they also manage to make werewolves cool again by modernizing the lore surrounding them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rCYDbefnmA
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    From the OP - Firefly seconded big time!

I take Twin Peaks & X-Files as sort of given - if not for anything else, then for all American originality, with a twist. When those "new clichés" are most typical.

Currently being produced: Endeavour - prequel to Inspector Morse. I also love Inspector Morse to distraction!

Hopefully to be produced once more: Prime Suspect. I know Helen Mirren has everything. Therefore IMO she should return as DCI Tennison, the best we have seen of her yet...

For period drama swooners, I'd recommend Poldark.

I think the lead man is too much of a pretty boy - the "Nivea Man type" when it could be, say, Harvey Keitel in Piano.

So, Poldark was injured to face in American independence war as the British imperial troops, the hygene and medical standards were awful - and he returns with a nicely tanned, wrinkle free, sexy-scar face? Gout was a problem in historic sea-faring, because of lack of fresh food and education - yet Poldark has a perfectly aligned, white teeth when he comes back across the ocean from his war hardships?

The point being: either you like his shirtless shots, or you are amused by a modern pin-up standard being sent to then destitute Cornwall... Win-win, I think!
    edited November 2016
    edited November 2016
  • alex1407alex1407 Member Posts: 1
    Big bang theory,two and a half men,the walking dead,star trek,seinfeld...
    all genres xD

alex from popularmeme.com
    edited February 2017
    Is anyone else watching Mythbusters: The Search?

I was sorry to see Hackett go, but he really needs to get another season of Stuck With Hackett. He's way too much of a lone wolf.
    BillyYank said:

Is anyone else watching Mythbusters: The Search?

I was sorry to see Hackett go, but he really needs to get another season of Stuck With Hackett. He's way too much of a lone wolf.
    Noooo! They sent Alan home! How can you send Alan home? He made a lightsabre out of a cigarette lighter!
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Right now I would say it has to be Gomorrah and I'm eagerly anticipating season 3.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I have to say I'm actually enjoying Fear the Walking Dead more than it's parent show these days. Season 4 has been incredibly well done so far.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I'm so pissed SyFy canceled Dark Matter. It was my most favorite show! And CBS canceled Scorpion, another of my favorite shows.

I've largely lost interest in many of the shows I used to like, the superhero shows on CW for instance. Blindspot also soured on me last season. I really like Seal Team. Hope that doesn't get axed. Then there's MacGyver, Hawaii Five-O, Big Bang Theory, not much else. Won't subscribe to streaming services.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I'm eternally grateful to Amazon for saving "The Expanse" from oblivion. For me this is by far the best sci-fi experience since Battlestar Galactica.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You know, I don't if I've posted here before. Is this thread specifically for current favorite shows? Or shows of all time?

Currently I'm watching Hunter x Hunter. I've heard great things about it, and while I don't think its quite lived up to that, I'm still really early in. I will say that it breaks most tropes of its genre in half.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Anything goes... We had shows from the 40s in the thread...
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    I'm on a Sci-Fi kick right now so I have been watching:

Star Trek
    Star Trek: The Next generation
    Star Trek: Voyager
    Firefly
    Twilight Zone
    Futurama

And I agree with @Shandyr about Battlestar Galactica.

In my house, we call it "Battlestar Depressica" because all the characters are horrible and only the worst things happen to any of them. In a really slow... boring... poorly edited way.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @voidofopinion I liked the original. Cheesy, but good. Sometimes, one craves a hit of cheese.