Skip to content

Phase II: Fine Tuning

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
edited February 2014 in The Road to Android
The next build contains the following improvements:
- "Flicking" the screen now decelerates after releasing your finger, allowing you to pan the screen more quickly if desired
- If your tablet is set to a language other than English, the game will automatically set itself to that language if a translation is available
- The screen panning function now works "at speed" with your finger, rather than faster than your finger's movement
- The temple's donation screen now features a more responsive text field
- Tapping and holding on an item in your inventory will now display the item's description; tapping and holding on a character's portrait will open or close that character's inventory screen
The counter has been set back to zero. Grab the newest build and check it out!

Objectives for Testers

Move the screen around, zoom in and out, and take note of the frame rate, as well as any obvious graphical glitches. We're not looking for gameplay bugs; this build was created specifically for testing performance. You'll be limited to the Abdel pregenerated character.

Anything outside of the above parameters will display the following message and close the game: "You've wandered outside the bounds of the test. Please restart the test."

To finish the test: Talk to Gorion near the center of the map and tell him you are ready to leave, then watch the cutscene. After you finish reading the Chapter Transition text, you will see the following message:
"You've successfully completed the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition performance test! Thank you for playing!"
Our testing program allows us to track crashes and other problems; there is no need to post issues here. Please submit all other feedback through TestFlight.

When we have enough successful tests with no critical issues, we'll move on to the next phase.
Successful Tests: 172/200
Post edited by Dee on
AdulRavuletNecdilzorMythrialusDice42cmk24lbaTroodon80AristilliuswigglesgChetdjseemannsonikmh

Comments

• mtnkillmtnkill Member Posts: 26
    Downloading now...
    matthileo
  • matthileomatthileo Member Posts: 59
    Blew through this test on my nexus 10 without issue
    Nevermind. Can't connect to the server. Apparently I need to wait for the rush to die down :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Dee I'm concerned about the health of Overhaul's programmer, is he alright?
    And you haven't said zero...
  • DannyBarkleyDannyBarkley Member Posts: 50
    Alright gentlemen, you know what must be done.
  • ChrpicaChrpica Member Posts: 3
    It actually seems a little choppier for me on a Nexus 7 2012, but other than that all clear!
    edited January 2014
    IMMERSIVE MODE. Awesome.

Edit: When you come out of immersive mode (i.e. fullscreen), you can't get back into it. I did this by changing the volume with the hardware volume keys.
    matthileo
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    CrevsDaak said:

@Adul that feature is since vanilla ToB, just press TAB.
    And if you like the creatures' names on their heads, that just causes exploits and bugs, so I rather let it there, in the PC version you have the mouse to put over a creature ans press TAB to reveal it's name and how injured it is.

@CrevsDaak I think you misunderstood my point, I was talking about this feature:
    Dee said:

"Flicking" the screen now decelerates after releasing your finger, allowing you to pan the screen more quickly if desired

Currently on the PC version of BG:EE you can pan the camera by pressing the middle-mouse button in-game and moving around the mouse. My idea was that it would be cool if the camera could be "flicked" with the mouse with the same behavior @Dee has described for the touchscreen. (Using the middle mouse button, obviously.)
    CrevsDaak
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Everything works great on the TF101! One small thing I noticed was the audio for the Chapter Transition text keeps playing for ~2 secs. after the app is closed, not sure if this is an app thing or if my tablet is just slow in sending the kill command to the program.
  • fooflamfinnfooflamfinn Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2014
    You weren't the only one, @rcmk24. Had the same issue on my nexus 7 (2013). Already emailed them about it. We're getting closer!!
  • atomicsnowmanatomicsnowman Member Posts: 31
    Looking good on my N10. Not nearly as much stutter
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    Successfully tested on my Kindle Fire HDX (just hoping Beamdog works out something with Amazon or that this can easily be side loaded upon release). Loved the new "flick" enhancement. I noticed a glowing "box" in front of the fireplace in the bunkhouse where Shank attacks you. Wasn't too bad, but just didn't quite blend. Performance was great and the new inventory controls were easy to use.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
    @Adul I did not knew that in any of the versions. It seems like I was wrong and misunderstood everything, I thought you were talking about the thing with TAB in the PC version.
    Edit: oh, I used that feature, but I have a weird mouse (the middle button and the little ball are touch-like) and did not realize.
  • conquerwormconquerworm Member Posts: 6
    Two things. Did anyone else see the stair case in the world of castle keep that doesn't do anything? Is that in the pc version? Well I'll have to check... Second thing the hidden door that leads to the sick room doesn't show up with the reveal button, is that suppose to not work? Other then that it's coming along awesome!
  • AristeueinAristeuein Member Posts: 11
    Nice, will do a few testruns later, just need to get some sleep first :p feels like we are getting closer to a release :)
  • oldguyoldguy Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 22
    Tested, all OK on my old XOOM. No slowdown. All features working well.
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    Love that you can now create characters. I've been having some fun with that.
    matthileo
  • maaramaara Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2014
    perfect experience on HTC One... As mentioned previously, the cutscenes are too small - please zoom them little bit or make the overhead font larger so its readable on screen < 7"
    Also would like ot ask if there is a chance of implementing something like double finger tap to pause the game...
    The only thing whats not very good is that when the phone goes to sleep while running the game, I am thrown on a black screen after waking it up and the game is not restored... I mentioned this issue previously but still not fixed...
    EDIT: its completely stuck :(
  • pandacakepandacake Member Posts: 39
    seems good on samsung tab 2
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Looks good. Still have the artefacts over the chimneys and stuttering in the cutscene but assume as those weren't mentioned that this are WIP.
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    On 3 devices ive tested so far no artifacts on the inn.

Game has run very well, only niggle is text selection in conversations, but the hold move up/down is much better but I have still selected wrong answer once in latest build.

• MythrialusMythrialus Member Posts: 137
    Things seemed to run very well on my Nexus 7 2012! I thought the frame rate was a lot better and it seemed like some of the "out of bounds" restrictions were lifted, glad to see that. Combat around the keep worked well. Able to donate at the church much easier. Going to do some more testing later, but I think everything is coming along great!
    One thing I noticed is that this morning my battery life was quite drained, and BG was the culprit. I checked its stats, and it said it the Keep Awake time was 10 hours!! (out of the last 16). I'd only played it a little on this device (Nexus 5) - maybe 10 minutes. The CPU total time said 1h14m....
    Mythrialus
  • farenthysfarenthys Member Posts: 1
    Cursor disappear after Killing somme npc, wrong dialog sélection. Can not wait :-)
  • mungomunkmungomunk Member Posts: 63
    Hm...the cutscene is now sadly causing some lag.
    I cant seem to be able to change my language back to english
    Everything else runs smothly.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If you want to change your language to English (or any other language), you can do one of two things:

A) Change the language on your tablet. The next time you launch the game it will use that language, if a translation is available.

B) In the main menu, choose Options > Language > English > Done, then close the game and re-launch it. (Note that if you change your language here, it won't detect your device's language setting ever again unless you reinstall it.)
    mungomunk
    Quick update: We have a much bigger pool of testers now, so I'm increasing our goal from 100 to 200.
    Anyone else not able to keep the 'reveal' button active? When I press and hold the magnifying glass, it reveals the interactive objects for approx. 1/2 sec. then deactivates.
  • rickbdmanrickbdman Member Posts: 8
    mtnkill said:

Anyone else not able to keep the 'reveal' button active? When I press and hold the magnifying glass, it reveals the interactive objects for approx. 1/2 sec. then deactivates.

I got the same, and had assumed it's working as designed. Haven't tried the same in the PC version yet to verify.
    If I may ask--what do people most frequently use the magnifying glass button for?
This discussion has been closed.