Skip to content

The Great Spam(bot) Hunt of 2014 - You Point, I Punch!

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
edited March 2014 in Off-Topic

Hear ye! Hear ye!

Dear Denizens of the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition forums, I bring grave tidings!

Swarms of spambots have assailed our fair realm, and although the Fellowship of the Ban have slain hundreds, nay thousands, more continue to crash against our walls.

Your forum needs you! Join us in glorious battle against the vile menace of spambots!

All credit to @Shandyr for coming up with this idea in the first place, but we needed a more systematic process to implement the game in a way that reduced the visibility of spambots and increased the bot-hunting efficiency.

The Rules:
1) When you spot a spambot, @ in this thread one of the members of the Fellowship of the Ban.

@Jalily
@Metalloman
@Troodon80
@Heindrich
@mlnevese
@LadyRhian
@Illydth

Please include the link to the spambot profile so we can vanquish it immediately!

2) If your 'pointing' leads to a spambot being punched (banned) by the mod you notified, then you get a confirmed bot-kill and +1 kill point.

3) If you catch a stealth bot*, and notify a mod so that it is destroyed as a result, then you get +5 kill points.

4) When you get 10 kill points, you get a "Favored Enemy: Spambot" badge. :)

Hints and Definitions

1) You have a better chance of getting a kill if you tag a member of the Fellowship who is online and/or recently active.

2) A spambot can be identified if you see a user posting irrelevant links, most commonly on their own profile page, which shows up in the Activity feed. Do NOT notify mods about users who have suspicious usernames, but have not actually posted anything.

3)*A stealth bot is one that does not post on Activity, but does post a comment or thread, which makes them harder for us to spot.

WALL OF FAME

069 - @Shandyr - PRO

010 - @Sylvus_Moonbow‌

010 - @booinyoureyes

008 - @deltago

007 - @CrevsDaak

007 - @Elrandir

005 - @meagloth‌

003 - @KidCarnival

002 - @Musigny

Post edited by Heindrich on

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2014
    You may count me in, but I'll not place a comment in the spambot. I prefer my bots to disappear after banished :) I'll come here and updade the leaderboard though.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Wouldn't it be best to implement means that will prevent these spam accounts from the beginning, in the registration process?
    @FinneousPJ We have IP filters in the forum. Email confirmation is not effective as most modern bots WILL answer an automatic confirmation email.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @mlnevese

That was (partly) the point. If we log it here, the spambots themselves and their content does not show in Activity.

Any attempts to tag mods via spambot profiles (or Activity feed) doesn't work.

@FinneousPJ

We do have some processes in-place, which block some spambots automatically, but clearly the system is not water-tight at the moment.

I exaggerated the problem for dramatic effect. It's not really that bad and all bots are usually dealt with swiftly before users even notice.

We just decided to make a game out of it cos @Shandyr's idea was fun, and ... everyone loves badges, no?
    edited February 2014
    I don't remember if it's already there, but wouldn't a simple CAPTCHA go pretty far?

@mInevese @Heindrich
    @Shandyr That ^^ is awesome. It was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote "Your forum needs you!" lol

I don't remember if it's already there, but wouldn't a simple CAPTCHA go pretty far?

@FinneousPJ

I'm just a forum mod... :) I assume that if something could've been easily implemented, it would have. The IP blocker already catches a fair number of bots. Like I said, it's not really a massive problem, we're just having a bit of fun with what would otherwise be boring forum maintenance work.
    Yep, I think it could fun too. Just trying to help anyway.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited February 2014
    @Shandyr +1

Normally if a mod other than the one you tagged carries out the ban, you would not be credited with a kill. (So that mods and other more busy BG:EE team members can ban without feeling obligated to come and update this thread.)

But on this occasion, I got a notification cos I am the thread owner as well. And Shandyr deserves a wee bonus for being the original creative mind behind the competition. :)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    whenever I find one I will be sure to use my defense drone to go for it. go for the spambots chatika!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    This is a good idea but I just realised I have a suspiciously spambot-like user name
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited February 2014
    ajwz said:

This is a good idea but I just realised I have a suspiciously spambot-like user name

Anyway we'll (try) to recognize you.
    Do spambots from 2012 count?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Heindrich said:

3) If you catch a stealth bot*, and notify a mod so that it is destroyed as a result, then you get +5 kill points.

Booinyoureyes casts improved invisibility
    "All the world is blind to spamming..."
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited February 2014
    @Shandyr: done! (And done and done and done: while banning that one I've seen 3 other spambots ;D)

BTW: If you guys want to point a spambot, the best way to do so is to tag it (@+name) ;)
    Well... I think that apart from the ban itself, the point goes to the first one who points the spambot, so no fear. ;)
    @Shandyr: are you still counting the pointing in the Activity page? I think there's one of @KidCarnival, spambot banished by @Troodon80...
    Nevermind, I've added his point to the WoF. :)
    edited February 2014
    +2 to @Shandyr Hall of fame updated.
    Yeah! :D
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I WANT A PROTECTION FROM BROCCOLI BADGE AND NOTHING ELSE. >:|
    Come on, multi-eyed mate, don't be angry, like this: >::::o(
    Smile, like this: ::::o)
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    @Metalloman I ͏will ҉s͜m͟i̧le whe͠ǹ ̵I ̸g͡et̶ m̨y ̶P̵ro̵tećti̸o͝n̸ fr̴o̵m͘ ́B̶rocc̸ol̷i forum ̀b͠a̸dg̶e͡.
This discussion has been closed.